PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT 2024 NEP 3RD Overall Pick - DRAKE MAYE

The question now is will Maye change his number with New England or is he attached to #10?
varsityblues-billybob.gif

Do we think he will be better than Mac Jones?

I don’t want college football but it seems people are hyped about him?

Teams had all the info on Marino, too. Still picked Eason, Blackledge, and O'Brien ahead of him. Scouts get enamored with absolutely stupid things. Like all the WRs they have rated on their board in low rounds where they note "Just gets open"....like that's not an important trait.
I thought it was the "rumors" that caused MArino to drop.

Much better prospect.
Lightyears better. Maye's arm is legit and is a significantly better athlete. I never liked Mac from the get go because I thought he had a weak arm and most didn't want to believe it till he really bottomed out last year.

Bill must be pissed to be missing out of this draft. First defensive player doesn't go until 15? Bill would've traded back twice by now and we would have 5 picks between 20-40.
BB gushed the most about guys like McCarthy and Bo Nix. He seemed to value decision making over physical tools. So he probably drops back to around #10 scoops up an extra pick or two and takes one of those guys.

There was a HUGE run on QBs tonight though and you've also got to consider the ceilings on the early guys compared to the ones taken later.

Drake Maye is still just 21, has all the physical tools, and arguably has a higher ceiling than any of the later guys if he can reach it.

5,000 yards & 45 TDs in his first year as a starter. Would’ve been the #1 overall pick in another draft. Maye is who I wanted since it was evident the pats season was toast. Love it

BB gushed the most about guys like McCarthy and Bo Nix. He seemed to value decision making over physical tools. So he probably drops back to around #10 scoops up an extra pick or two and takes one of those guys.

There was a HUGE run on QBs tonight though and you've also got to consider the ceilings on the early guys compared to the ones taken later.

Drake Maye is still just 21, has all the physical tools, and arguably has a higher ceiling than any of the later guys if he can reach it.
It's hard to know what actual NFL personnel people were hearing but I don’t think many assumed 6 quarterbacks would go in the first 12 picks but I agree Bill would probably have been happy to move back and take JJ or Nix and pick up an extra late first round/early second round pick. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Bill traded back to 11 and fielded offers from Vegas, Denver, or even New Orleans and traded back again. Who knows where we would be at quarterback but he would have lots of picks in the 20 to 40 range.

Timing is different in the NFL so you have to adapt anyway. Timing isn’t innate; that’s why they work on it in practice every day.

All players work on footwork. That’s about coaching and putting in the work.

He’s gone work to do. That’s for sure. We’ll see.
His timing was too fast in college but the NFL is faster so it will work out perfectly for him. Follow me on Myspace for more made up player analysis.

Maye could bust out, but for the exact opposite reason than Mac. They are pretty much the exact opposite QB. Mac was the polished NFL ready QB with mediocre athleticism who was believed to be a high floor and low ceiling. Maye is raw, needs development, but is freakish in athleticism. He has a low floor, but sky high ceiling.
Fundamentally, they have the same issues ... they are both slow to process whats happening... Fatal flaw, imo, of Mac Jones...

Fundamentally, they have the same issues ... they are both slow to process whats happening... Fatal flaw, imo, of Mac Jones...
Maye is far more athletic, bigger, tougher and toolsy than Mac Jones. Mac Jones also cried and pouted at the first sign of adversity or after taking a big hit.

Mac Jones cry after getting a booboo: 1714099995297.png

Mac Jones pout after making a bad play: 1714100018023.png

One thing that Mayo mentioned that stood out is that he saw Drake get knocked down then pop right back up and make a play the next down. He said that was when he started buying into Maye. What this means to me is that Mayo sees mental and physical toughness in Maye that Mac Jones clearly lacked in New England.

Who knows where we would be at quarterback but he would have lots of picks in the 20 to 40 range.
And he also could have wasted that 40ish pick on a small, slow unheralded safety out of Rutgers. Even with the extra picks, I still don't miss him in the Patriots draft room.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back