PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 Patriots Roster Cut Down Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Durant was released.

They released Ferentz last year as well. Put him on the PS and then brought him to the main roster almost immediately.

They have 3-4 guys who are headed to IR tomorrow in Cajuste, Wilkerson, Thornton, and Montgomery.

The 53 man roster is going to change significantly between now and the 1st game of the season.
Just one nit - Wilkerson was placed on IR today, so he won’t be a designated to return guy. Otherwise agree with your point.

Durant was released.

They released Ferentz last year as well. Put him on the PS and then brought him to the main roster almost immediately.

They have 3-4 guys who are headed to IR tomorrow in Cajuste, Wilkerson, Thornton, and Montgomery.

The 53 man roster is going to change significantly between now and the 1st game of the season.
What's wrong with Cajuste? And I didn't hear Durant is gone, so did they cut more than they had to? Maybe we'll bring in a FA cut at OL. I'm sure feeling uneasy about Brown & Wynn with only Herron as the healthy backup at T for week 1!

All in all I'm pretty satisfied. Would have liked to see Harris or Russey on O, but I can understand keeping the killer depth on D.
Harris could be back if Montgomery goes on IR.

I also have Ferentz coming back when Cajuste goes on IR.

That leaves a pickup from another team when Thronton goes on IR.

The two guys that I was hearing nothing but positive things about at the end of camp were Hines and D. Mitchell.

Hines I heard was the best run blocker on the O-line and Mitchell between his pass rushing ability/effort and special teams play, was impressing the coaches as well. He beat out Ray and it looks like Hines beat out Ferentz.

Congrats to both.

What's wrong with Cajuste? And I didn't hear Durant is gone, so did they cut more than they had to? Maybe we'll bring in a FA cut at OL. I'm sure feeling uneasy about Brown & Wynn with only Herron as the healthy backup at T for week 1!
We have 2 starting OT's, a swing OT from last year, and an OG who could start at RT. I'm not at all concerned with OT depth.

Harris could be back if Montgomery goes on IR.

I also have Ferentz coming back when Cajuste goes on IR.

That leaves a pickup from another team when Thronton goes on IR.
No reason to believe Montgomery and Cajuste are going on IR.
Thornton will because no chance he would be back before the 4 games are up.

No reason to believe Montgomery and Cajuste are going on IR.
Thornton will because no chance he would be back before the 4 games are up.
fair enough
We'll see.
4 games of IR isn't a long commitment.

The two guys that I was hearing nothing but positive things about at the end of camp were Hines and D. Mitchell.

Hines I heard was the best run blocker on the O-line and Mitchell between his pass rushing ability/effort and special teams play, was impressing the coaches as well. He beat out Ray and it looks like Hines beat out Ferentz.

Congrats to both.
A number of the OL we cut will be on the ps.
We only need 8 active, so the inactives will be on the ps instead of the 53.

Congrats to both.
Mitchell had the sideline jumping with his play. Seems like the guys were really pulling for him.

fair enough
We'll see.
4 games of IR isn't a long commitment.
Neither seem injured enough to miss that many games.
We need inactive players each week, so there is no sense IRing someone to bring up a guy to be inactive.

Not sure how mod edits work, but any way the roster and simplified list of cuts in entirety could be included in the original post?

The two biggest disappointments for me are Ray and Lil Jordan. Hopefully, they will clear waivers and go to the Practice Squad. Those last few spots were going to be very difficult to choose from
Truthfully, I'm finding it difficult to be optimistic about the post-Brady Belichick years given what Bill has done in the draft, during roster construction and filling out his coaching staff (which is showing a penchant for nepotism). Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised but as it stands, I feel stranded on melancholy island.

Itd be nice if in(stead) a crowd of non-NFL-thanksdads & average-at best VETS & ST only players they'd find reason to keep
some younger guys with potential - Wade, Roberts & DaMarcus Mitchell - albeit at the deepest positions.

Besides OL mess with zero depth they also dont have functional blocking help among WR and esp. TE.
Asiasi and Sokol are useless so picking up a blocking TE would be my hope (unlike OL they should be available) but surely in vain..

I started the day with this modest wish to keep 3 young players with potential to develop/contribute albeit on already deep positions.
So i cant complain too much.

Actually the only two complaints i have are Hambright and McGrone. They could've easily cut two extra vets and brought them back later or keep them on PS.

Hopefully they bring some extra players from outside at positions of desperate need - backup OL & TE.
Edge is thin and barely adequate outside Judon - I guess will have to live with that.
ILB hopefully adequate - liability more likely . but theres sub LB depth from S

Considering low investment (less than 10M/apy for outside FA & hardly any cap) in this yr roster thats the music.
Decent UDFA yield makes the picture a bit better although their contribution will be limited.

Truthfully, I'm finding it difficult to be optimistic about the post-Brady Belichick years given what Bill has done in the draft, during roster construction and filling out his coaching staff (which is showing a penchant for nepotism). Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised but as it stands, I feel stranded on melancholy island.

There is a Brady forum. Please feel free to go over there to feel better.

It looks to me like there are at least a couple of claims coming.

Thin on ST only players

Not really esp. when Montgomery and Thornton return.

compared to last season:
core ST lost - Bethel, King, Bolden (Langi)
core ST gained - Schooler, D.Mitchell, Montgomery, Peppers + Thornton + Jon Jones + Jennings

Bethel was quiet this preseason so its not a surprise. On the other hand Cody Davis was a monster, Schooler, Mitchell really shined and Thornton was unstoppable as gunner (one of Bethels jobs)..

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes