PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2020 Patriot-Type Players

K Sam Sloman

Sloman has been the starting place kicker since he got to campus as a freshman in 2016 and has gotten better each year. During his freshman year, he made one out of three field goals (33.33%), sophomore year he made 12 of 16 (75%), junior year he made 10 of 13 (76.92%), and this season he is 17 of 20 (85%).

Sloman is putting together quite the impressive season. He’s made 19-23 field goals, including a long of 53 yards, the game-winner against Ohio University. He ranks fifth in the nation with 19 field goals made and has the eleventh longest field goal made (53 yards), and is first in field goal percentage from 50 yards and further (75%).

Miami Football's kicker up for national award

Someone to watch for in the draft/UDFA if we bring in competition for Ghost:
  • Overall field goal percentage- 86.2% (25-29)
  • 40-49 yds- 77.8% (7-9)
  • 50+ yds- 80% (4-5)

If Cannon does retire or we're simply trying to get ahead of the situation (Gronk!?) Wirfs is someone you want to know.

Multiple sport athlete in HS. Wrestling background. Weight room monster. Versatile. + Hands, feet and strength. Plays like the athlete you see on paper. Quick, soft feet. Very flexible and easy moving/pivoting. Can stone and redirect in pass pro, some times with ease. Can make his way and work the 2nd level.

Not many big holes in his game at all. He should be contributing very soon. + Zone/Gap prospect imo.

Screams NEP.

Right on cue ...

Last edited:
If Cannon does retire or we're simply trying to get ahead of the situation (Gronk!?) Wirfs is someone you want to know.

Multiple sport athlete in HS. Wrestling background. Weight room monster. Versatile. + Hands, feet and strength. Plays like the athlete you see on paper. Quick, soft feet. Very flexible and easy moving/pivoting. Can stone and redirect in pass pro, some times with ease. Can make his way and work the 2nd level.

Not many big holes in his game at all. He should be contributing very soon. + Zone/Gap prospect imo.

Screams NEP.

Right on cue ...

I like him or Josh Jones as an athletic Pass Protector, . But I doubt Wirfs will fall down to 23 or that we use our first rounder for an OL when Cannon keeps playing..

WR Kendall Hinton, Wake Forest

Another QB to WR slot receiver displaying an upward trajectory, and a quick aptitude, after producing a +1k in his first full season at the position.

At 6-0, 195lb, Hinton displayed physicality and good hands, ~ a 71% catch rate, capable of catching/finishing passes through contact in the slot while offering enough speed for versatility to play other WR positions; also a KR/PR.

He wasn't invited to the draft combine, but should run in the 4.50s 40-yds time range at his pro day for an intriguing possible Edelman replacement in the later rounds of the draft, or as an UDFA.

Kendall Hinton College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Kendall Hinton Fantasy College Football News & Stats

Brought up a few of these before. Deguara, Claypool, Perry, Gibson. CEH is an interesting one. So is Reed, really like him.

Brought up a few of these before. Deguara, Claypool, Perry, Gibson. CEH is an interesting one. So is Reed, really like him.

Read that there were 47 of these requests made.. Most ever

The value of versatility in the nfl has never been greater.

Animal in the weight room and the work shows. Him and Becton are tearing up this combine. Their #'s are insane.

Front/Back-side, the dude is an athletic monster. Would dominate and flourish in a zone/gap scheme

Last edited:
... Chances Wirfs or Becton are available at 23?

... Chances Wirfs or Becton are available at 23?
I think Becton goes before Wirfs. Small chance either are there but its possible. Thomas too. I could see one being available. 15-25%, give or take.

LOL Could see all going top 10 too.

Last edited:
Becton and Wirfs are both going top 10.

AJ Epenesa from Iowa... If hes there at 23, do you feel its too good to pass up?

AJ Epenesa from Iowa... If hes there at 23, do you feel its too good to pass up?

yes, I do. As a 5 technique, he has a chance to excel in our defense. On passing downs, he can slide inside next to butler and be a force.

Matt Hennessey is almost a Thuney clone. 6'4 307 32/Arms 10/Hand
5.18 - 40

23 reps

30 very

110 Jump

7.45 3C

4.6 SS

Thuney 6'5 305 32 9

28 reps

110 Jump

7.47 3C

4.54 SS

This is rough list of all the impact, potential star players I see. There are a few big names omitted, largely for their particular weaknesses that I wouldn't want to invest in:

Justin Herbert
Anthony McFarland
Antonio Gibson
Cam Akers
Justin Jefferson
KJ Hamler
Chase Claypool
Tristan Wirfs
Mekhi Becton
Jedrick Wills
Austin Jackson
Andrew Thomas
Lloyd Cushenberry
Javon Kinlaw
Derrick Brown
Raekwon Davis
Justin Madubuike
Ross Blalock
Chase Young
Yetur Gross-Matos
Terrell Lewis
Kenneth Murray
Wille Gay Jr
Jordyn Brooks
Patrick Queen
CJ Henderson
Jeff Okudah
Kindle Vildor
Jeff Gladley
Bryce Hall
JR Reed

Last edited:
I've just started to dig into players but the ones I like for the Pats in the late first (23-32, as I assume we don't trade up) are:

Justin Jefferson (primarily plays the slot, which we clearly need with Edelman. Plus the middle of the field is where Brady likes to operate. Not the most athletic guy but catches everything)
Patrick Queen (fills that athletic LB role we have been missing - good blitzer too)
Cesar Ruiz (he's probably more of a high 2nd but I would be interested if we traded down 15 spots. Depends on if Andrews comes back and what they think of Froholdt etc)
Yetur Gross Matos (reminds me of Chandler Jones a bit. A little raw but has high upside and can bend the edge. Could add some weight. I prefer him to Epenesa)
Xavier McKinney (love him. Perfect Chung replacement. Can play in the box and deep. Also apparently the Bama signal caller so has the intelligence to call the D when McCourty leaves)

I may add to this list as I study more guys. I've also ruled out anyone who is obviously going above 23.

yes, I do. As a 5 technique, he has a chance to excel in our defense. On passing downs, he can slide inside next to butler and be a force.

Every year following the NFL Scouting Combine, there are players who rise and players who fall in the eyes of teams and the draft community. Sometimes it’s a player with concerns over his speed who runs a fast forty and blows away expectations. Sometimes it’s an explosive pass rusher who runs a terrible 3-cone and sends scouts back to the tape to see if that lack of bend will be a problem at the next level.
Whether it’s good or bad, evaluators will always go back to film because it tells you whether those measurements are a true indicator of who the player is on the field. So what happens when a player puts up a poor metric, one that shows up on tape, but it’s not how the player wins on the field? At the 2020 Combine, we saw that very thing with Iowa pass rusher A.J. Epenesa.
Some teams have already found methods of looking past ‘poor’ testing and finding out when those numbers are relevant and in what way. If you watched A.J. Epenesa’s tape and thought that he won by using his speed and agility to bend the edge, like a Von Miller or T.J. Watt, then you would certainly have a cause for concern.
But if you see that he wins in different ways, by using his size, length, and explosiveness to win manned up against a tackle or by winning inside through strength and technical hand usage, then the tape tells you that he is a prospect worth taking a chance on…and the metrics do, too.

Relative Athletic Score: Is it risky to select A.J. Epenesa in the 2020 Draft?

A.J. Epenesa is a good football player, the biggest issue is determining what round in the draft to select him.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back