Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by reamer, Sep 2, 2019.
fotu, kindley and Bowden would be great picks for us.
I was looking at ESPN board. Could get a similar haul to what I see on other sites.
1. Epenesa DL
3a Malik Harrison LB
3b Van Jefferson WR
3c Matt Hennessy C/G
4 Thaddeus Moss - TE
5 J Proche - WR Better value than defenders
The more I think about the draft, the more I’m thinking the following:
1. No QB in first round. With no 2nd round pick, and no visits due to Coronavirus, their needs dictate better value than the second tier QBs in this draft I think.
2. Would like to see them package picks to get 2 in second round (trade down from first and up from below) and use them on a DT who can be like what we hoped Malcom Brown would be and a swing OT that can supplant Cannon.
3. Next priority would be talent infusion at TE. I wouldn’t stretch for Kmet, would hope for Trautman or Albert O. but not at the expense of a potentially more impactful DT, OT, C, or LB. I’d hope for a solid player in the third, fourth, and fifth and a high ceiling (boom or bust) late.
4. They need a center to replace Karras and insure relative to Andrews. There are several they can target I think in the third, fourth, and fifth. I like Darryl Williams from Mississippi State.
5. I’m not sure what to think about LB. For the right guy I wouldn’t freak if they used one of their first 3 picks, but also wouldn’t be concerned if they took no LB.
6. I feel the same way about a DB.
7. But I will be annoyed if there is another “but he can be valuable on special teams” type.
Need hardly factors into the equation (see: Williams, Joejuan).
1) Yep...unless Justin Herbert drops to #23, then I don't want Any QB drafted until the 6th/7th rounds...if then...Let's see what we have in Stid the Kid, then re-evaluate one year from now...
2) If both Derrick Brown & Javon Kinlaw are gone by 23, then I would wait until the end of the 3rd round to see if either Leki Fotu or Raekwon Davis are still hanging around...I want to become more stout at DT, and everybody else in between those pairs are more 3-techs (305 lbs or less) than 0/1-techs...And there is plenty of depth at DT throughout the draft, well into Day 3...
OTs who might still be available in the 2nd round include Austin Jackson, Ezra Cleveland & Joshua Jones, though all 3 of them could also be gone by the end of the first round...the plug-n-play, sure-fire prospects drop precipitously from that point unfortunately...
3) Trautman & Harrison Bryant are my 3rd-round TE targets after Cole Kmet...don't really trust Albert O that high...Gotta take one of those two by the end of Day 2 however...Best case is then Dalton Keane or Charlie T in the 6th round...
4) Besides Darryl Williams, who should be still available when Day 3 begins, Lloyd Cushenberry, Cesar Ruiz & Matt Hennessy are the best Center prospects in the draft but all 3 of them might be gone before we pick again at #87...a couple of other Day 3 guys to keep in mind are Jake Hanson, Keith Ismael & LT-to-Center project Danny Pinter, any of whom would be a Massive upgrade over Thanksdad...
5) LB might actually be the best value play at #23...both Zachary Baun & Ken Murray are worthy of that pick (love Patrick Queen too, but he's too small to be a first-round pick for this defense)... Klavon Chaisson athletically fits the bill too (think Jamie Collins), but he's too boom-or-bust for my taste at 23...We really do need (much)more athleticism at LB, so if one isn't taken at 23 then I wouldn't wait any longer to take one than our 3rd-rounders, where one of Malik Harrison, Logan Wilson & Davion Taylor might still be available...
6) Yeah I'm not a fan at all of drafting a DB before Day 3...unless either SS Kyle Dugger or SS Jeremy Chinn is still available, and we haven't yet taken a LB, and none of the aforementioned three are left on the board...
7) No argument from me there, that's for sure...
1.) I am passing on herbert. He is helpless if his primary receiver is covered.
2.) I really like both Davis and fotu. They are both really good against the run, but not much as pass rushers.
3.) I agree. I would add Parkinson as a second tight end candidate.
4.) if we grab a center/guard late, we should consider cerveka of Clemson.
5.) chaissen has a couple of highlight plays, but his production does not warrant a first round grade. There are a couple of really good linebackers on your list that would work in our defense.
6.) absolutely love chinn. He could be so special in our defense, and a replacement for Chung.
Would love to take Troutman and Kmet
Fix the tight end position for a long time
Tony Pauline's PFN website has added a mock draft simulator, which includes the ability to trade, based on his rankings as of 11 March...very addicting...
PFN Mock Draft Simulator
My most recent attempt had all 5 of the offensive players I would take at 23 - Herbert, Jeudy, Wills, Wirfs & Andrew Thomas - already gone...fortunately LB Ken Murray was still available, so I traded down 3 times, picked up a 5th, 4th & comp 3rd, then gave Green Bay two of my 3rd-round comps for their 2nd-rounder...So I ended-up with Murray, GB's 2nd to atone for the Mo Sanu disaster (I took C/G Matt Hennessy) three 3rds (WR Chase Claypool, DT Leki Fotu & TE Harrison Bryant)...and I think I still had 9 Day 3 picks remaining!
Don't understand how Billy can continue to feck up the process so badly so often, with all of the additional information on prospects that he has at his disposal...
Another attempt, using The Draft Network, with my rationale for picking whom I did. Getting Wills is a pipe dream, can't see it happening at all, but so be it.
23 Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama - could replace Cannon
87 Davon Hamilton, IDL, Ohio State - run stuffer
98 Hunter Bryant, TE, Washington - would prefer Trautman, but he can make plays
100 Van Jefferson, WR, Florida - route-running specialist, need someone dependable for a young QB
125 Alex Highsmith, EDGE, Charlotte - kind of a lower level Wino
172 Mohamed Barry, LB, Nebraska - could see him covering TEs
195 Tanner Muse, S, Clemson - very smart player, which the DB group can use after the McCourty's and Chung are done
204 Tyrie Cleveland, WR, Florida - stretch the field type
212 Mike Panasiuk, IDL, Michigan State - another run-stuffer
213 Rodrigo Blankenship, K, Georgia
230 Donell Stanley, IOL, South Carolina - power guy, good backup to Mason
241 Trevon Hill, EDGE, Miami - situational pass rusher maybe, weren't many guys left in this spot that I was interested in.
The simulators are like a new toy for me, been having fun with them. Definitely am going to look into ones that give the ability to trade, that second round gap is a killer ...
there are a couple teams looking very closely at tight ends besides us.
one would be Green Bay.
with graham gone, they might take kmet in the first round.
This team was at its most dangerous when we had 2 dynamic tight ends we need to go back to that recipe again.
It will open up everything for whoever the QB is.
Attempt to draft a bit for need and best available
23 Zack Baun, EDGE Wisconsin
87 Jordyn Brooks, LB Texas Tech
98 Brycen Hopkins, TE Purdue
100 Van Jefferson, WR Florida
125 Colby Parkinson, TE Stanford
172 Shaquille Quarterman, LB Miami
195 Tyler Clark, IDL Georgia
204 Mohamed Barry, LB Nebraska
212 Gage Cervenka, IOL Clemson
213 Jauan Jennings, WR Tennessee
230 Jordan Fuller, S Ohio State
241 Cole McDonald, QB Hawaii
I have to admit, that the 2nd for Sanu really hurts, so I wouldn't be surprised if BB trades down from 23 for two 2nd picks
Too many projections for me.
Fanspeak, 6 rounds
Fanspeak Steve, Fanspeak Steve, Classic
23 Josh Jones OT
87 Adam Trautman TE
98 Cesar Ruiz C
100 Leki Fotu DL
125 Jacob Phillips LB
172 Quintez Cephus WR
195 Thaddeus Moss TE
204 Raequan Williams DL
212 Rodrigo Blankenship K
213 James Morgan QB
My try at mock
Lazy Sunday afternoon Fanspeak mock using DraftPlex big board (as of 3/23) & user-voted team needs with Difficult algorithm:
LB KENNETH MURRAY, OKLAHOMA
TE HARRISON BRYANT, FLORIDA ATLANTIC
C MATT HENNESSY, TEMPLE
WR VAN JEFFERSON, FLORIDA
CB AMIK ROBERTSON, LOUISIANA TECH
DL BENITO JONES, OLE MISS
WR JOE REED, VIRGINIA
EDGE TREVIS GIPSON, TULSA
TE DALTON KEENE, VIRGINIA TECH
OT TERENCE STEELE, TEXAS TECH
LB TANNER MUSE, CLEMSON
WR QUEZ WATKINS, SOUTHERN MISS
To be fair, I really doubt that Hennessy, Gipson & Steele will be available at the places where I chose them...In fact it is very possible that All of the above players will be unavailable where I chose them...
That would indeed be sweet if Kinlaw fell to us at 23...He's one of only about a half-dozen players for whom I would keep 23 instead of trade down...
If I thought this was a possibility, I would jump for joy. But my binky Cesar Ruiz at 98, can't imagine it since I lobby for him at 23. Good lineup though!
Yeah as the draft draws closer and lists are updated, I think Ruiz will end up being ranked much higher than where some of these websites have him right now...
Separate names with a comma.