125. Adam Trautman, Dayton, TE [!]
139. Carlos Davis. Nebraska, DL3T
172. D.J. Wonnum, South Carolina, EDGE
195. Anthony McFarland Jr., Maryland, RBC
204. Evan Weaver, California. ILB
212. Frederick Mauigoa, Washington State, C
213. Dane Jackson, Pittsburgh, CB
230. Rodney Clemons, SMU, S

You have great confidence in Cajuste at tackle and Froholdt at center. I hope you are right. If Andrews is good to go, I agree that center is not a need. But if not, Ruiz is, by many accounts, a can't miss NFL starting center and will be there at 23.

As far as tackle is concerned, I don't trust the lot of them. Cannon is on the other side of the hill, Wynn hasn't shown an ability to give you a full season, and neither Cajuste nor Cunningham have proven they can play at this level against the edge rushers that will be intent on getting to whomever is taking snaps. In my view OT is the #1 priority for this team to rebuild that offense.

I dont necessarily have a ton of confidence in Froholdt, other than I think hes a forgotten man. He was a respectable drsft pick with talent and upside. I just bring him up when people say we have nothing other than Andrews.

But I do have faith in Cajuste. He is an extremely gifted player that IMO is ready to go. Hes as talented as any of the top tackles outside the elite 4. Wynn and Cannon are going to be here, and his presence gives us 3 legit tsckles. Cajuste also gives us the Cannon replacement next year, if it came to that. I just can't get on board with placing OT as one of our biggest needs.

If Thuney is traded and Wynn moves into guard, then i can understand looking tackle early. Otherwise, tackle is not a need until day 3 IMO.

NFL Draft 2020: Patriots pick Antoine Winfield Jr., new quarterback to lead 2020 class

1st round
No. 23: S Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota

Ht/Wt: 5-9, 202

Surprise!

The Pats nab the most instinctive safety in the entire draft, an All-American who grabbed seven interceptions last season and ran a 4.45 in the 40-yard dash at the combine. Most times when Belichick waxes poetic about an elite player, he references first-rate instincts; someone who grasps the game at a deeper level, gains a physical step because of his mental edge and makes plays. That’s Winfield.

His football IQ is off the charts. He’s physical and versatile. Because Winfield is projected to be an early Day 2 selection, the Patriots can still nab him even if they trade down Thursday. Winfield would fill an immediate need as a third safety who can patrol the deep middle with Devin McCourty, just as Duron Harmon did. His quickness and man-to-man cover skills will also allow him to battle slot receivers, a must for safeties in the modern NFL.
Eventually, Winfield should be able to replace McCourty as the leader of the secondary who makes calls and coordinates coverages. If he was just an inch taller, Winfield would be a surefire first-round pick. The Pats make him one anyway, at the same exact slot his father, a former All-Pro defensive back, was drafted 21 years ago.

3rd round
No. 87: QB Jake Fromm, Georgia

Ht/Wt: 6-2, 219

The choice here came down to Fromm or Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts, with recent reports indicating the Pats will pick a quarterback on Day 1 or 2. In reviewing all the mid-round passers the Patriots have drafted the past 10 years, none of them were slow decision-makers who struggled to make anticipatory throws. Those were Hurts’ most significant flaws in college; problems that spanned his time at Alabama and Oklahoma and will only be exacerbated by the speed of NFL defenses.

Fromm, on the other hand, checks all of the Pats’ requisite boxes: accuracy, taking care of the football, owning the middle of the field, processing and leadership. His ceiling may be lower than Hurts’, so know that if the Pats take Fromm, it’s because they like what they’ve seen. If they turn to Hurts, it’s because they believe they’ll love the player they can mold down the road.

No. 98: LB Malik Harrison, Ohio State

Ht/Wt: 6-3, 247

Harrison is among the few players in this year’s class who fit the Pats’ preferred physical prototype at linebacker. Better yet, he’s an excellent run defender who blitzed well and improved steadily during his time in Columbus. The Patriots should have no problem inserting this sound rookie into their linebacker rotation.

No. 100: TE Devin Asiasi, UCLA

Ht/Wt: 6-3, 257

Finally, a tight end.

By this time, the top talents — Dayton’s Adam Trautman and Notre Dame’s Cole Kmet — are off the board, leaving the Pats with the best two-way prospect still available. As a receiver, Asiasi broke out for 641 yards and four touchdowns last season. He’s long been a competent in-line blocker with clear room to improve and enough speed to threaten defenses down the seam.

Within a year or two — provided his conditioning stabilizes — Asiasi may start in New England.

4th round
No. 125: WR Donovan Peoples-Jones, Michigan

Ht/Wt: 6-2, 212

A developmental traits prospect, Peoples-Jones never lived up to the hype as a five-star prospect in Ann Arbor. He did, however, establish himself as an elite athlete with rare ball skills and punt return ability (two career touchdown returns). The Pats can move Peoples-Jones across the formation, just as his coaches did at Michigan, and refine his routes with the hope his potential is finally realized.

The work ethic and physical talent are there. Time to put it all together.

No. 139: OL Jonah Jackson, Ohio State

Ht/Wt: 6-4, 306

A third-team All-American, Jackson brings desired versatility and intelligence to the Pats’ offensive line. He started at all three interior spots over his time at Ohio State and Rutgers. He also registered among the strongest offensive linemen at the combine.

5th round
No. 172: TE Brycen Hopkins, Purdue

Ht/Wt: 6-4, 245

Don’t ask him to block, but throw Hopkins the ball and you can watch him fly.

One of the fastest tight ends available, Hopkins was a steady producer over two starting seasons at Purdue. He did struggle with drops, but if those can be cured, he should enjoy a solid NFL career. Hopkins is the rare right end in this class who can win downfield and give linebackers trouble in coverage. That means a lot in today’s league.

6th round
No. 195: K Tyler Bass, Georgia Southern

Ht/Wt: 5-10, 185

Bass was money in the bank up to 50 yards out last season. He struggled with misses in the second half of the year, but never lost his monster leg that could take kickoff duties away from Jake Bailey. Expect either Bass or Georgia’s Rodrigo Blankenship to be wearing a Patriots hat before the weekend is over.

No. 204: LB Shaquille Quarterman, Miami

Ht/Wt: 6-1, 234

A four-year starter at Miami, Quarterman is among the easiest prospects to project to the Patriots this year. He’s durable, smart and disciplined. His negatives, naturally, are mostly speed and quickness-related; a theme for Pats linebackers in recent seasons who have made up for their physical deficiencies with instinctive play.

No. 212: C Jake Hanson, Oregon

Ht/Wt: 6-4, 303

Another four-year starter, Hanson fits the bill for a Patriots center: intelligent, a little light and versatile. Hanson didn’t allow a sack until his senior season at Oregon, where he led one of the best offensive lines in college football.

No. 213: QB Cole McDonald, Hawaii

One of the most entertaining prospects in the entire draft, McDonald paired a reckless attitude with an NFL-caliber arm that completed more passes 40 or more yards downfield than any other quarterback last year. McDonald is accurate and talented enough to push those ahead of him, especially if offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels can rein him in. Starved for competition in their quarterbacks room, the Pats take McDonald here.

7th round
No. 230: DT John Penisini, Utah

Never heard of QB Luton but I would be happy with this draft

Thought this mock draft from Doug Kyed at NESN was kind of interesting.

Patriots Mock Draft: Pats Pick Best Tight End After Blockbuster Trade

Interesting sure, but not a fan. Miami is not making that trade. They'd just trade 56(which I'm not buying) instead of moving down 30 spots in round 3.

I like Uche with his pass rush potential, and he has some potential in coverage but its total projection. It'll take awhile if the cover ability ever happens.

If Thuney is moved, Driscoll cannot be the guy to replace him. I like him on day 3 as a developmental guy, not round 3. But you can't go into the year with him and Froholdt for the guard spot. And I'm a guy who has talked up Froholdt.

Luton is not worth a 3rd.

Just don't think we can come out of the 1st 3 rounds without a defensive lineman, a cover linebacker AND a big play WR. Claypool ain't it. I know we won't hit all needs but skipping on 3? We'd have a backup QB, backup OL, and #5 Wr or backup TE with our first 4 picks. Only Kmet would make an immediate impact. And even his impact is limited a bit, because rookie TE's take awhile.

SiriusXM has Kirwan and Miller selecting (can't remember who said who) Yetur Gross-Matos or Grant Delpit.

As usual mock drafts for the Patriots are...not very good...

New Leader in the Clubhouse for worst Mock Draft:

Peter Schrager NFL mock draft 2.0: Ruggs selected before Jeudy

PICK 23

Harrison Bryant - TE
School: FAU | Year: Senior

First time you've seen Bryant's name in the first round of a mock draft? Don't be shocked -- I can see it happening. New England has tried to get Jared Cook and Hayden Hurst in back-to-back offseasons, with no success. Bryant is a big body who can both catch balls and block. He isn't Gronk, but no one is. What he can be is a building block for whomever Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels groom to be the QB of the future.​
Circling back to this one as being especially bizarre. There’s actually a bunch of really good stuff here (Jefferson at 22, Wilson at 29, Aiyuk only off by one spot, Brooks in the 1st), but Harrison Bryant was mocked at 23 and went 115th.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back