PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Patriots Coaching Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uptown

Standin' Pat
Reaction score
My apologies if there is already a thread regarding this.

Seems as if Jerod Mayo’s younger brother is a part of the NEP staff as an “Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach” this year. Interesting.

Was curious if any of the hard core college football fans here can shed some light on Bielema. Why did he fail at Arkansas after a successful run at Wisconsin? What are his strengths as a coach?

Was curious if any of the hard core college football fans here can shed some light on Bielema. Why did he fail at Arkansas after a successful run at Wisconsin? What are his strengths as a coach?

He took a coaching job in the SEC.

Strengths are 1) Oline and 2) his wife

59B67433-F3DF-40A5-9C40-EFEF18D1977B.jpeg

He took a coaching job in the SEC.

Yep, I figured that playing in the best conference in the land didn't help, but it seemed just from glancing at his record that they underperformed slighty compared to their recent history.

With the way Bielema talked about BB/Pats in that QuickSlants interview 2 years ago and how we have been consistently drafting Bielema coached guys I guess it really was just a question of time until this happened. Hope it works out because Flores seems to be on a HC fast track and could be gone in 1-2 years if the defense performs well.

Just curious, but is there any other coaching staff in the league that has Zero former players on it, and contains not one but Two sons of the HC on it?

It doesn't bother me that they have zero former players as I just care that they hire the best possible coaches while continually evaluating and upgrading their staff; Which brings me to the brothers Belichick.

Nepotism is one of the few fundamental issues that I have with Kraft/Belichick. On the ownership side I understand the need to have family involved (Jonathon), but I think it's critical to not permit your gm/coach to hire family members.

Even if Belichick's sons are the most qualified coaches for the job, it's natural for some of his staff and players to believe that it was family favoritism, rather than their qualifications, that got them their jobs. This breads resentment and conflict, which often leads to bad bad things...

Just curious, but is there any other coaching staff in the league that has Zero former players on it, and contains not one but Two sons of the HC on it?

Flores and Mayo never played in the NFL but they both played at a level higher than Division III which is rarity. Coach Bill prefers the small college football wonks who owe their entire career to him. It helps with discipline. Like a recent DC who with a Head Coach position in his pocket still could not bring himself to tell Coach Bill to get real when he told him to bench a starter in the Super Bowl for no reason.

Nepotism is standard operating procedure in the NFL. At least in this case, the chips off the old block are not chips off a blockhead at least.

Bielsma is the lucky guy who gets to babysit Belichick for Kraft and protect Coach Bill from himself.

...Hope it works out, because Flores seems to be on a HC fast track and could be gone in 1-2 years if the defense performs well.
I, uh, don't think we'll have to worry about that one.

Flores and Mayo never played in the NFL but they both played at a level higher than Division III which is rarity. Coach Bill prefers the small college football wonks who owe their entire career to him. It helps with discipline. Like a recent DC who with a Head Coach position in his pocket still could not bring himself to tell Coach Bill to get real when he told him to bench a starter in the Super Bowl for no reason.

Nepotism is standard operating procedure in the NFL. At least in this case, the chips off the old block are not chips off a blockhead at least.

Bielsma is the lucky guy who gets to babysit Belichick for Kraft and protect Coach Bill from himself.

tenor (4).gif

My apologies if there is already a thread regarding this.

Seems as if Jerod Mayo’s younger brother is a part of the NEP staff as an “Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach” this year. Interesting.

That list is incomplete :rolleyes:

It doesn't bother me that they have zero former players as I just care that they hire the best possible coaches while continually evaluating and upgrading their staff; Which brings me to the brothers Belichick.

Nepotism is one of the few fundamental issues that I have with Kraft/Belichick. On the ownership side I understand the need to have family involved (Jonathon), but I think it's critical to not permit your gm/coach to hire family members.

Even if Belichick's sons are the most qualified coaches for the job, it's natural for some of his staff and players to believe that it was family favoritism, rather than their qualifications, that got them their jobs. This breads resentment and conflict, which often leads to bad bad things...

I guarantee you there is nobody relevant on the Patriots staff who believes that BB favors his sons when it comes to their career. Most likely he is their hardest critic and they are walking on thinner egg shells than most other staff members because of it. Anyone who has a problem with this particular situation is most probably just projecting his own insecurities or issues onto something that is no issue at all.

And to take it a step farther it is nothing new in this business and many young people get their start on NFL staffs because of nepotism or at the very least because they know the right person. You have the Ryans, the Schottenheimers, the Nolans.. of course the Shanahans. And the list goes on...

The reality is that at some point the Beli-kids will have to move outside the NE bubble to earn their own "street cred" if they want to continue climbing the coaching ladder. Until then I am just happy that their presence on the staff most likely refreshed BBs enthusiasm and extended his coaching career.

Not directed at you personally.. but can someone explain to me why the hell it would even matter if a coach would is a former player or not. Who gives a **** ? How is this even relevant ?

What evidence do you have that it breeds resentment, conflict and leads to bad things?? Have never heard this except on sportstalk radio or on anonymous message boards.. if there are divisions and resentment they are kept internal and dealt with accordingly.

This is a non-issue, in this Football family they have all grown up familiar with the NFL and all of its subleties, BB could make a phone call and hook Brian or Stephen up with Vrabel, O'Brien or Patricia, but grooming a son for a career in the NFL is most father's dreams.. would not surprise me if somewhere along the way Amanda some fit into this equation somewhere as well if she decides to move away from the College Lacrosse Coaching stuff...

For example, Kyle Shanahan worked for his father for a few years.. this is not unheard of.

Until someone can show some tangible evidence that this adversely effects the team, I have no issues.. they are growing and learning with the master...

I guarantee you there is nobody relevant on the Patriots staff who believes that BB favors his sons when it comes to their career...
Unless you have personally spoken with every relevent member of the coaching staff, then we have absolutely no idea if that's true.

Last edited:
I guarantee you there is nobody relevant on the Patriots staff who believes that BB favors his sons when it comes to their career. Most likely he is their hardest critic and they are walking on thinner egg shells than most other staff members because of it. Anyone who has a problem with this particular situation is most probably just projecting his own insecurities or issues onto something that is no issue at all.

And to take it a step farther it is nothing new in this business and many young people get their start on NFL staffs because of nepotism or at the very least because they know the right person. You have the Ryans, the Schottenheimers, the Nolans.. of course the Shanahans. And the list goes on...

The reality is that at some point the Beli-kids will have to move outside the NE bubble to earn their own "street cred" if they want to continue climbing the coaching ladder. Until then I am just happy that their presence on the staff most likely refreshed BBs enthusiasm and extended his coaching career.

Not directed at you personally.. but can someone explain to me why the hell it would even matter if a coach would is a former player or not. Who gives a **** ? How is this even relevant ?

Personally I think it would be really cool if Steve Belichick turns out to be a really good coach and he becomes the head coach of the Pats in a decade or two...

For those talking about our coaching staff "lacking former players"....remember James Harrison was sleeping through film sessions hosted by Joey Porter last year...

Just sayin'....

For those talking about our coaching staff "lacking former players"....remember James Harrison was sleeping through film sessions hosted by Joey Porter last year...

Just sayin'....
If those sessions were hosted by Porter, I'd sleep through them too. Besides, I'm looking for Mike Vrabel types, not Joey Porter types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back