PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 FA . NE Day 4: recap // UPDATED

Status
Not open for further replies.
The good ol’ days when Belichick was signing 20+ players off the scrap heap and everyone just laughed at the cast of nobodies and washed up has-beens he brought to the team. Those teams turned out to be smart, and tough as nails. A Super Bowl won is a Super Bowl win. I don’t care how we do it. I agree with you though. Those were some fun teams to watch. We built incredibly well from the draft and filled in with smart matching pieces.
We own Days 2 and 3 of free agency! :D

IMHO, this isn't bad at all. We have added Shelton, , Valentine, Clayborne, Hightower, Rivers, Langi and McClellan to the front seven that entered the playoffs as a top defense in the last part of the year.

We all expect us to draft a LB or two.

BASE DEFENSE (25)
DE: Clayborne, Flowers [Wise, Lee]
DT: Brown, Shelton [Valentine, Guy, Butler]
LB: Hightower, Van Noy [Rivers, Roberts]
CB: Gilmore, McCourty/Jones/Rowe [C Jones]
S: McCourty, Chung, Harmon
ST: King, Ebner, Richards, Grigsby

And, yes, I do indeed believe that this defense is better than the defense that had us as the best team going into the playoffs (with at least one draftee to come).

View attachment 19798

Coming together. LB time - to the draft!

Last edited:
Looking at our projected starting defense and you see a lot of high draft picks, a few that we made and a bunch that other teams made.

Bb believes in athletes on the defensive side of the ball. He builds his defense from the middle out. (Dt, ilb, safeties)

On offense, he is really looking to design schemes that fit players strengths and he does not players to do things they are not capable of doing. So he is willing to plug and play with players that have warts. He uses coaching to fill out the players abilities. But he has always valued the left tackle position with a high draft pick.

When constructing a roster, he believes in competition for jobs. The more the merrier.

So with that being said. I am looking for more left field signings that leave people scratching their heads and more free agent losses that give people heartburn. And finally while we are all screaming for defense from this draft, don’t be surprised to see more Offensive players taken than people think, because......

In April, Bb is drafting for the 2019 season this year, yet another bb stratagem!

IMHO, this isn't bad at all. We have added Shelton, , Valentine, Clayborne, Hightower, Rivers, Langi and McClellan to the front seven that entered the playoffs as a top defense in the last part of the year.

We all expect us to draft a LB or two.

BASE DEFENSE (25)
DE: Clayborne, Flowers [Wise, Lee]
DT: Brown, Shelton [Valentine, Guy, Butler]
LB: Hightower, Van Noy [Rivers, Roberts]
CB: Gilmore, McCourty/Jones/Rowe [C Jones]
S: McCourty, Chung, Harmon
ST: King, Ebner, Richards, Grigsby

And, yes, I do indeed believe that this defense is better than the defense that had us as the best team going into the playoffs (with at least one draftee to come).

As Matty P says . base defense basically doesn't exist for NE
I wouldn't put Lee at DE . but you could add Keionta Davis there as a guy who could be in the mix for 53. Id give Langi a chance as well..

Hope Langi is fully recovered from that accident......he was a binkie of mine last year.

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

As Matty P says . base defense basically doesn't exist for NE
I wouldn't put Lee at DE . but you could add Keionta Davis there as a guy who could be in the mix for 53. Id give Langi a chance as well..

I'll probably continue to think of Lee as a potential depth guy ... until he's not. But I could say the same about Davis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back