PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018-19 Stanley Cup - Bruins vs Blues

Injuries irrelevant, refs blew it all in game 5. Fraudulent series, and a forever tainted cup.

Because it is. Sorry you won't know what actually watching your team earn one is like. You know its true.

Now you are getting moronic. Just be a gracious loser and move on. This is exactly why I hate the Bruins fan base. They do nothing but overrate their team, and when they lose, it's because of the refs or injuries. If the Blues were crossing the line physically, it's complete denial that the Bruins ever did that stuff before in the past and got away with it. How many times did we see this in 2011? Believe me, there are 30 NHL fanbases that are thrilled right now.

Now you are getting moronic. Just be a gracious loser and move on. This is exactly why I hate the Bruins fan base. They do nothing but overrate their team, and when they lose, it's because of the refs or injuries. If the Blues were crossing the line physically, it's complete denial that the Bruins ever did that stuff before in the past and got away with it. How many times did we see this in 2011? Believe me, there are 30 NHL fanbases that are thrilled right now.

Idgaf about 1-4,6,7. All within the realm of your usual hockey nonsense.

Game 5 is a whole different animal. Ridiculous **** all game long. Theres a difference between missing calls and choosing not to call them. Both goals were the direct result of egregious noncalls. That "game" completely destroyed any semblence of sport and became nothing but loosely scripted live entertainment.

Did you say the same about Gronk's Superbowl performance on one leg? There are injuries that affect performance. The top line struggled throughout and did not play to their capabilities. Injuries likely played a part of that. Ultimately we will never know, but these guys weren't themselves and it wasn't all the opponent.
To which SB are you referring? 46 vs the Vagiants, or this past one?

Congrats on your win. If you’re looking to start arguments/stir the pot (for some reason) in the wake of a such a big victory, the defeated team’s forum is the place to go. I personally enjoy the satisfaction of many Patriots opponents fans whining and read their forums with some satisfaction, but I wouldn’t engage in an argument with them and expect anything other than a pissing match.

The Bruins fan base that you hate is essentially the Patriots fan base, and you are on a Patriots board in the wake of a G7 loss. I think you can just accept that people are feeling the sting of defeat and are on their home team’s forum, so there’s a much bigger burden for you to be a gracious winner here than to expect a gracious loser. As you’ve stated, there should be 30 other hockey team forums to talk about how you hate the Bruins fan base (also about 99% of the Patriots fan base).

In 5 on 5 play, our Bergeron-Marchand-Pasta line scored 2 goals on 97 shots and had 19 against them.
St.Louis played the “muddying it up” game better than the Bruins of old without a smaller rink.

When the Hawks beat the Bruins in 13 I felt no ill will towards them. They were simply the more skilled team. They hit just as hard as the Bruins but they weren't dirty.

The 11 Canucks I would have been apoplectic losing to because they were a completely dirty team. They weren't nearly as physical. They had better skill players. Did the Bruins rough them up? Absolutely. Outside of Marchand whose antic drive me nuts where the Bruins dirty? No. Where the Canucks? Yes. Burroughs biting Bergeron, the hit on Horton, Lapierre had dozens of cheap hits.

You know what the Bruins from that era and the Hawks have in common? The team they hated the most was the Canucks.

The Blues aren't the 11 Canucks. Not even close. However they were on the line of what's clean and what's dirty. They could have handed out three more suspensions from game 5 alone. Two head shots on Krug and a slew foot against Acciari.

If you think the other 30 franchises are siding with the Blues right now you're the one who's delusional. I'm pretty sure San Jose feels like the Blues were a dirty team as do the rest of the Blues opponents. I'm sure fans and players in Toronto and Montreal are really happy the Bruins lost but I don't think there was a lot of ill will coming out of Columbus or Carolina. Those were physical series but neither side was dirty.

The Blues deserved to win games 2, 4 and 7 without a doubt. They were the better team in every way, shape and form. Game 5 was probably the most evenly played game in the series. However there's no doubt both of the Blues goals were tainted by non calls and one of them it's not even questionable. Then in game 6 they call Marchand for the same thing on a less egregious version.

Congrats on your championship but if the roles were reversed given the slanting of the officiating you would be feeling just as jilted.

When the Hawks beat the Bruins in 13 I felt no ill will towards them. They were simply the more skilled team. They hit just as hard as the Bruins but they weren't dirty.

The 11 Canucks I would have been apoplectic losing to because they were a completely dirty team. They weren't nearly as physical. They had better skill players. Did the Bruins rough them up? Absolutely. Outside of Marchand whose antic drive me nuts where the Bruins dirty? No. Where the Canucks? Yes. Burroughs biting Bergeron, the hit on Horton, Lapierre had dozens of cheap hits.

You know what the Bruins from that era and the Hawks have in common? The team they hated the most was the Canucks.

Congrats on your championship but if the roles were reversed given the slanting of the officiating you would be feeling just as jilted.

To clarify, I am not a Blues fan. Sorry if I gave that impression.

In 2011, I rooted pretty hard for the Bruins as they had not won a championship in a while. The Canucks were incredibly dirty that whole series - from the Burroughs bite to the Aaron Rome cheap shot of Horton. My point was that the Canucks fans were just whining about the lack of calls back then as the Bruins fans are now. Back then the Bruins fans were saying "oh well, that's playoff hockey. deal with it." Today it's a different story.

The Bruins fan base that you hate is essentially the Patriots fan base, and you are on a Patriots board in the wake of a G7 loss. I think you can just accept that people are feeling the sting of defeat and are on their home team’s forum, so there’s a much bigger burden for you to be a gracious winner here than to expect a gracious loser. As you’ve stated, there should be 30 other hockey team forums to talk about how you hate the Bruins fan base (also about 99% of the Patriots fan base).

"Hate" is probably a poor choice of words on my part. Do Bruins fans annoy me? Yeah, but I don't really “hate” all of them them. I saw Bruins fans totally disrespecting the Blues in another hockey forum. It was the essentially the Blues were in the SCF as a mere formality - to play the game and get sent home. Then it was the Blues fans were rednecks from "flyover country." The Blues were dirty, but Marchand never crosses the line, etc. I live in Washington and saw what some Bruins fans did to Joel Ward in 2012. I think there were 40 or so racist tweets (from what I heard) from Bruins fans.

Last edited:
To clarify, I am not a Blues fan. Sorry if I gave that impression.

In 2011, I rooted pretty hard for the Bruins as they had not won a championship in a while. The Canucks were incredibly dirty that whole series - from the Burroughs bite to the Aaron Rome cheap shot of Horton. My point was that the Canucks fans were just whining about the lack of calls back then as the Bruins fans are now. Back then the Bruins fans were saying "oh well, that's playoff hockey. deal with it." Today it's a different story.

"Hate" is probably a poor choice of words on my part. Do Bruins fans annoy me? Yeah, but I don't really hate them.

Canucks fans are Montreal west where they're delusional and think every call should go there way. Pittsburgh is the unholy trinity of this union. They forget that Laperriere and Burroughs were getting away with just as much. Also the Bruins didn't get away with blatant slew foots that led to goals. Should Marchand have been called for numerous things? Yes. But they also weren't calling it on the Canucks so it evened out. I don't see how it was even close to even in this series. The Canucks got away with running into Thomas several times.

The only other series in the last ten years I thought the refs gave away the series was the 13-14 where once again Montral could do whatever they wanted in the home rink. I know some fans complained about Philly when they blew the 3-0 lead but that was more about Boston losing Krejci and Philly getting Gange back. That was the tipping point in my mind.

Regardless if all the teams they didn't matchup well against like TB, Washington and Pitt didn't **** the bed the Bruins never would have made the cup finals. Opportunity lost because they aren't as good as the end result says. They aren't making it back to the cup finals with this roster.

You sound completely ignorant of the Bruins' fanbase as a whole and continuously sound off and argue with posters on a pro-Bruins thread about how they complain and whine just after their team lost game 7 for the Stanley Cup. That would define you clearly as a troll. Is it really worth it? Move on for Pete's sake.

Last edited:
It was a fair fight, no more than the usual number of referee screwups, and we didn't win. I think it's wiser to take it on the chin than it is to whine and complain about game 5 or other things that happened in that series.

Bottom line, St. Louis executed better when it mattered most. The rest is side chatter. Not to say I'm not super disappointed, but I was also very entertained by the run and started the playoffs honestly not thinking this team was going to get that far.

Also, we got the younger members of the team a TON of playoff experience now, so we'll see how that translates in future years.

That said, if this run is the high water mark for this iteration of the team, it's still nothing to be ashamed of. Getting to the Finals, taking it to 7 before being rubbed out by a hungry young team that wanted it more isn't exactly a badge of shame. I know that this is probably the forum in all of pro sports that's least likely to really resonate with what I'm saying, but most fans go into the season hoping for a deep playoff run, and that's excactly what our boys delivered.

The Bruins aren't the Patriots or Red Sox, they're good franchise but not the class of the league, so every year isn't championship or bust. A good rough comparison for the Bruins position in the NHL is probably the Steelers' position in the NFL. If they fail to make the playoffs at all that's a disaster, but they're seldom favorites to win the whole thing.

I'll take this, disappointing end and all, and hope for another good year next year. Once the rest of you get some distance from game 7 you'll probably look back fondly on this year too, even with the ending.

Last edited:
Canucks fans are Montreal west where they're delusional and think every call should go there way. Pittsburgh is the unholy trinity of this union. They forget that Laperriere and Burroughs were getting away with just as much. Also the Bruins didn't get away with blatant slew foots that led to goals. Should Marchand have been called for numerous things? Yes. But they also weren't calling it on the Canucks so it evened out. I don't see how it was even close to even in this series. The Canucks got away with running into Thomas several times.

The only other series in the last ten years I thought the refs gave away the series was the 13-14 where once again Montral could do whatever they wanted in the home rink. I know some fans complained about Philly when they blew the 3-0 lead but that was more about Boston losing Krejci and Philly getting Gange back. That was the tipping point in my mind.

Regardless if all the teams they didn't matchup well against like TB, Washington and Pitt didn't **** the bed the Bruins never would have made the cup finals. Opportunity lost because they aren't as good as the end result says. They aren't making it back to the cup finals with this roster.

Tampa last year got away with murder against the Bruins but they were the more skilled team so people don’t think about it as much.

Montreal in 14 and St Louis this year were not better than the Bruins from a pure talent standpoint. St Louis plays their system extremely well but they’re basically the mid 90s Devils which is boring and the type of play the league is supposed to be trying to get away from. Montreal just lives in the Bruins heads and will always get the calls on home ice, which has been true for a century now. That’s why Horton’s goal in 2011 is one of my favorite Bruins moments. It was perfectly set up for a typical Montreal pulling one out of their asses against the Bruins nut punch when Subban tied the game but Horton scores and it propelled them to eventual cup winners.

Who the hell are you to talk about being a “ gracious loser,” you have been anything but that. Your team was out and you proceeded to troll this forum with repeated whines about the Bruins being too physical, disappeared when it looked like they would win the Cup, then reappeared to taunt Bruins fans over their loss. You have been nothing short of a complete douchebag throughout this cup run. You should shut your pie hole and stay out of hockey threads in this forum, as it’s clear you don’t know anything about the sport, and act like a little b.tch when you open your mouth.

Who the hell are you to talk about being a “ gracious loser,” you have been anything but that. Your team was out and you proceeded to troll this forum with repeated whines about the Bruins being too physical, disappeared when it looked like they would win the Cup, then reappeared to taunt Bruins fans over their loss. You have been nothing short of a complete douchebag throughout this cup run. You should shut your pie hole and stay out of hockey threads in this forum, as it’s clear you don’t know anything about the sport, and act like a little b.tch when you open your mouth.

WTH is the story behind 'latching onto' Victor Kiam's (shudder) Pats? Many of us who'd been with them from the beginning barely survived that debacle, quite a few of us still have the scars
Like in '81, the media lustily trumpeted the Pats' losing...it was FOUR seasons (... Jersey Boys!:D)...and mainly because Kiam didn't keep Flutie here.

Endless, ongoing Pats denigration piled on ownership instability made it seem like 25 years, which all the other franchises experienced in reality (not the Pats).

WTH is the story behind 'latching onto' Victor Kiam's (shudder) Pats? Many of us who'd been with them from the beginning barely survived that debacle, quite a few of us still have the scars
I "latched on" in the midst of the franchise's longest losing stretch ever.

Because they're our team, had some good history and some good players and good people in the organization.

...okay and we also had the best uniforms in sports...

So, I read that Karlsson is done in SJ. What’s that about? Production just wouldn’t justify the salary, or is there more to it? I know that he had a down year due to injury, but I was a bit surprised to see the one year rental situation.
8 years, $92M. Didn't think the Sharks would drive a Brinks truck to his doorstep, but here we are.

Regards,
Chris

Injuries irrelevant, refs blew it all in game 5. Fraudulent series, and a forever tainted cup.
The refs didn’t exactly help, but here are the goal totals for the Pasta-Bergeron-Marchand line in the Stanley Cup Finals, during 5 vs 5 action:

Goals scored 2
Goals allowed 19

I’m assuming that this would be a decent place to start when assessing what went wrong in the series.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back