PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Defense vs 2019 Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uncle Phil was a total cliff dive in 2017. Destabilized the entire defensive front.
Yeah very unfortunate... I remember him steamrolling the Denver center the season before to only get it erased due to penalty

Hightower (ir) and collins makes a huge upgrade at LB.

J jones (ir), jcj, and jmc make a huge upgrade in the secondary

dl is arguable, id rather have this dl for the depth even though trey is gone. 2017 de’s was paper thin behind flowers and we never replaced nink-sheard-long as their replacements flopped. This was the biggest reason aside from Hightower to ir for the dropoff after a great 2016 for the d.

overall this d is far superior

Last edited:
The fact that Bennett is simply depth at this point is pretty indicative of how talented this roster is compared to 2017.

In 2017 we would've been happier than pig in sh*t if we had Bennett.

The fact that Bennett is simply depth at this point is pretty indicative of how talented this roster is compared to 2017.

In 2017 we would've been happier than pig in sh*t if we had Bennett.

See: Harrison, James

Ouch...are you okay?

There’s actually a YouTube compilation of Gilmore from that game and from the looks of the video you’d think our D played well! Showing how much you can lie by omission.

There’s actually a YouTube compilation of Gilmore from that game and from the looks of the video you’d think our D played well! Showing how much you can lie by omission.

I thought there were three big issues:

1. Foles was awesome...a lot of his throws were just money even against good coverage.
2. The pass rush, particularly from the linebackers, was totally non-existent against that elite Philly line.
3. Jordan Richards.

While the secondary appeared to get burned a lot, much of that had to do with zero pressure. Also the linebackers couldn’t cover running backs or stop the run, so they needed the secondary to help with that responsibility too. The front 6/7 was the real culprit. And Jordan Richards.

Is someone able to give me an x's and o's breakdown as to why this year's defense is better than 2017? I ask because I've seen it mentioned many times that the 2017 defense was short on talent. But the stats say otherwise.

Again, I'm not debating that the 2019 defense is better. They most certainly are. I'm just having trouble coming up with the specific reasons why.

Stats?? What's wrong with the ol' Mark 1 eyeball? What team were you a fan of in '17 that you don't know the answer?

I thought there were three big issues:

1. Foles was awesome...a lot of his throws were just money even against good coverage.
2. The pass rush, particularly from the linebackers, was totally non-existent against that elite Philly line.
3. Jordan Richards.

While the secondary appeared to get burned a lot, much of that had to do with zero pressure. Also the linebackers couldn’t cover running backs or stop the run, so they needed the secondary to help with that responsibility too. The front 6/7 was the real culprit. And Jordan Richards.

The front 7 lacked its centerpiece in HT. He should have gotten the pec surgery in the 2017 offseason and may have had a shot at returning for the playoffs. He tried to play through it and got IR'd.

One of the other reasons that I think gets overlooked as it’s too cliche but this is now a veteran team that the core has played together for years. They are almost never out of position, they can play fast and loose, and cover for each other to “go make a play”. The communication is beautiful to watch and I would argue it’s not that they are playing 11 All Pros it’s that they have 20 guys each with a role they understand and play at a plus starter level. So everyone is fresh and doing what they are best at. Fu$king beautiful to watch.

I say we suit ‘em up against each other and let them duke it out. Screw all this speculation.

Stats?? What's wrong with the ol' Mark 1 eyeball? What team were you a fan of in '17 that you don't know the answer?

I'm terrible at x's and o's. I went and rewatched the game today. Defense was bad. But the Eagles played great. They knew Gilnore was starting to shut down Jeffery. So they picked on Richards. Or McCourty. Or Rowe. Whenever someone was covered, Foles didn't press things. He went to whoever was open. That's why I'm unconvinced Butler changes that game dramatically. The Eagles were simply adjusting all night long.

I will argue one point though. People (Media & fans) have said they were convinced Brady was going to go down, get a TD, and win the game. There was 2:10 remaining. Let's pretend the strip sack doesn't happen. How do we know Philly wouldn't have had at least a minute to go back down and score? Foles was shredding the D all night. Unless Brady's potential TD occurs with 20 seconds or less left, there are no guarantees whatsoever. Not with the defensive performance that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes