PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 NFL Draft Day 2 Cornerbacks

I'd keep an eye on D'Joun Smith at 64. Otherwise I could see Senquez Golson/Steve Nelson in the late 3rd.

Slight trade up to around 50 if one of; Darby, Williams, Collins or Rowe are there at 50-52. 64 and 131 to Philly for 52.

I think they need to draft OL in the second round, given the need and how the position seems to be flying off the board. CB in the third?

IMO they either trade up for a guy like Rowe or they don't look for CBs at all.

The Patriots have a ton of competition already at the position, they don't need more bodies. The "need" was for a top talent to push everybody down one slot. That doesn't look like an option, so shift gears to a front 7 that can collapse the pocket with the additions of Brown, Sheard and a healthy Easley.

IMO they either trade up for a guy like Rowe or they don't look for CBs at all.

The Patriots have a ton of competition already at the position, they don't need more bodies. The "need" was for a top talent to push everybody down one slot. That doesn't look like an option, so shift gears to a front 7 that can collapse the pocket with the additions of Brown, Sheard and a healthy Easley.

I think that depends on how far Jalen Collins falls. I'm intrigued by a scenario in which Jalen Collins falls and we get him, Ali Marpet and La'el Collins. If everything works out, there's the potential to come out of this draft with four quality future starters. I realise that's a lot to expect, particularly with La'el.

I think that depends on how far Jalen Collins falls.

Right, I'd put Collins in that category too. In fact, this draft remains very deep in Collins talent: Jalen, La'el and Landon all still on the board.

La'el is such a dilemma.

Right, I'd put Collins in that category too. In fact, this draft remains very deep in Collins talent: Jalen, La'el and Landon all still on the board.

La'el is such a dilemma.

He's probably a step too far for the Pats. The furore if the Pats drafted him and he then became connected to the murder would be apocalyptic. It would make Deflategate and even Hernandez seem like nothing.

Matt Miller has Ronald Darby at 18 on his big board, Jalen Collins 34, PJ Williams 52, Q Rollins 68, A. Carter 72 and E. Rowe at 120. Not that he's the end all and be all of knowledge. I do respect his opinion.

He's probably a step too far for the Pats. The furore if the Pats drafted him and he then became connected to the murder would be apocalyptic. It would make Deflategate and even Hernandez seem like nothing.

You're right of course, they can't possibly take the chance. I just can't shake the hunch that he's an innocent man living a nightmare.

You're right of course, they can't possibly take the chance. I just can't shake the hunch that he's an innocent man living a nightmare.

I agree. If he's completely innocent then I just feel horrible for him. He was days away from becoming a millionaire and nt only has he lost the financial security of that but now he's locked into a police investigation. Just horrible for him if innocent.

I agree. If he's completely innocent then I just feel horrible for him. He was days away from becoming a millionaire and nt only has he lost the financial security of that but now he's locked into a police investigation. Just horrible for him if innocent.

...and quite possibly with a motherless premature infant to support. :(

I revised my Round 2 big board. Forgot Diggy and Clemmings on the original. I had them in the first..LOL. I also added Harrold, whom I forgot. What'ya think?

My quick Round 2 horizontal board.

QB - Petty
RB - Coleman, Abdullah, Yeldon and Duke Johnson
TE - Williams
WR - Strong, D. Smith, DGB and S. Coates
OL - Fisher, Cann, Grasu, Clemmings and Donovan Smith

DE - P. Smith, M. Edwards and O. Odighizuwa
DT - Goldman, Phillips, Jarrett, Bennett
LB - Gregory, McKinney, Kendricks, Perryman, Harrold
CB - PJ Williams, J. Collins, R. Darby and E. Rowe
S - L. Collins

The second round is really as good as the back half of the first round. I feel wr's and ol were over-drafted last night.

So much depth still. I'm actually a little sad that we didn't do that trade last night. Although that might just be the draftnik in me.

I'm watching a lot of the CB's now because it was a position I really didn't pay any attention to until Revis left. I'll post some notes on the guys I like a bit later, but there is 1 guy that really caught my attention.

Quinten Rollins from Miami (OH)

I'm sure a lot of you know his story, former basketball player converted to football player this season. It was his first year of football since high school and his first as a CB.

I will just say, I HATE Quinten Rollins as a CB. He is so raw, his technique needs so much work, his instincts aren't great and any time he has his back to the QB bad things happen. He has potential to maybe develop as a zone CB but I really want no part of that where he is projected to go.

Having said that, I LOVE Quinten Rollins as a safety. When he has the ball in front of him he is an excitement machine. At 5'11" 195lbs, Rollins plays bigger than his size and much faster than his combine numbers. He is a smooth, fluid and explosive athlete that has incredible quickness when breaking on a ball in front of him. He also has very good ball skills and is a playmaker on defense.

The most impressive thing for me though is his tackling ability. For a guy with such little experience his tackling technique is excellent and the kid can flat out hit! I think if you put him at safety and let him play everything in front of him he can be a special player. Over time he will likely be able to develop better instincts as a cover man, but as a deep safety he could be special.

He is also an excellent special teamer and I think he would be good value at 64 (as long as its at safety and not CB).

which could be the best possible playier in the 2nd round ?

Here's my 2nd Round. With a trade for us. We deal 64, 96 and our 6th to Philly for 52 and Evan Mathis. We need to get ahead of; Arizona, Pittsburgh and Baltimore.

33. Tennessee - Landon Collins - S - Alabama - BPA
34. TB - Jake Fisher - OL - Oregon - Protect Jameis.
35. Oakland - Randy Gregory - Nebraska - Bookend for Mack.
36. Jax - TJ Yeldon - RB - Alabama Read they love him and need a big back.
37. NYJ - Devon Smith - WR - Ohio St
38. Wash - Jalen Collins - CB - LSU
39. Chi - Jordan Phillips - NT - Oklahoma - Switching to 3-4. Passed on Shelton
40. NYG - E. Goldman - DT - FSU
41. St. L - Donovan Smith - OL - PSU
42. Atl - B. McKinney - LB - Miss St
43. Cleve - J. Strong - WR - Arizona St
44. NO - O. Odighizuwa - DE - UCLA
45. Minn - TJ Clemmings - OL - Pitt
46. SF - E. Kendricks - LB - UCLA
47. Miami - T. Coleman - rb - Indiana
48. SD - Maxx Williams - TE - Minnesota Gates eventual replacement.
49. KC - Sammie Coates - wr - Auburn - DGB too much of a character risk.
50. Buff - Bryce Petty - QB - Baylor
51. Hous - Ameer Abdullah - RB - Nebraska - Foster can't play forever.
52. Philly to NE - Ronald Darby - CB - FSU
53. Cincy - Mike Bennett - DT - OSU
54. Detroit - Duke Johnson - rb - Miami
55. Arizona - PJ Williams - CB - FSU - Lost Cromartie
56. Pitt - E. Rowe - CB - Utah - Like physical corners.
57. Carolina - AJ Cann - g - South Carolina - Might move up for a tackle.
58. Balt. - C. Davis - DT - Iowa - I have Jarrett higher. Need a bigger body to replace Ngata
59. Denver - H. Grasu - C - Oregon
60. Dallas - E. Harrold - OLB - Virginia
61. Indy - P. Smith - DE - Miss St
62. GB - D. Perryman - LB - Miami - Would be a great pick for them.
63. Seattle - DGB - WR - Mizzou
64. NE to Philly - Mario Edwards - DL - FSU

If we stood pat, J. Shaw or Marpet??

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye