PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 Draft...Early Horizontal Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd really like to see Vontaze Burfict here. Outside of Mayo our LB's are very average. Burfict has the size (6'-3'' 250lbs), athleticism, desire and football IQ to be a stud for us. He has great production as well.

In 3 games this year he has 17 tackles and 4 sacks.

What will push him down draft boards is stuff like this

Here's a great article on Burfict from the LA Times and some of my favorite parts:

He had a nice interception last night. He appears to be wrapped really really tight. Read on the Pittsburgh board that they are all over this guy as a future Steeler.

I wouldn't be against trading up for a lb. I'd love to get a 3 down lb to pair with Mayo. The defense of the present...not future is a 4-2-5. Two studs at dt. We're missing that 2nd lb and the de's. We really have to upgrade the front 7 on defense this spring. And, pick up a FS. I'd prefer a vet there. Rest of secondary very young; McCourty, Chung and Dowling. Bodden covering the slot guy. Trade up for Burfict. DE with 2nd 1st rounder.

I'd really like to see Vontaze Burfict here. Outside of Mayo our LB's are very average. Burfict has the size (6'-3'' 250lbs), athleticism, desire and football IQ to be a stud for us. He has great production as well.

In 3 games this year he has 17 tackles and 4 sacks.

What will push him down draft boards is stuff like this

Here's a great article on Burfict from the LA Times and some of my favorite parts:

So far he projects as a late 1st or early 2nd. That can change in a hurry but certainly not out of the realm of possibility at this point. Ever see him line up on the outside?

Burficit, and Teo both look like studs. Would love to have either here. Interior Oline can both be adressed in the second. Front 7 should be the focus in the first round.

Burficit, and Teo both look like studs. Would love to have either here. Interior Oline can both be adressed in the second. Front 7 should be the focus in the first round.

Burficit is a STUD but he is un disciplined. If he could improve on that aspect, he is a top 10 pick.

Burficit is a STUD but he is un disciplined. If he could improve on that aspect, he is a top 10 pick.

That's why I think he'd be a great fit here. BB is one of the better teachers of discipline in the NFL. Even if we had to make a small trade up to 15ish we'd still be getting a top 5-10 player from the draft.

That's why I think he'd be a great fit here. BB is one of the better teachers of discipline in the NFL. Even if we had to make a small trade up to 15ish we'd still be getting a top 5-10 player from the draft.

I doubt it. We already have Spikes on this team. Burf is a thumper as is Spikes.

Spikes is a punk.

Would love to Hightower or Burfict on this defense. This defense severely lacks playmaking at the LB level. Sorry but Ninkovich, Spikes, Guyton, Fletcher just don't cut it for me.

Give me a guy that would run through a wall to make a play. Give me a guy that is actually capable of making plays.

Havent watched this Burfict guy enough yet but will take a close look at him. LBs are usually not drafted so high and if we have last years QB rally and then pass rusher rally then he might be in reach atleast with a reasonable trade.

As others have posted I also think we arent that solid in middle LB and the coverage we get from LBs. If he s as good as they say I think he would be a good pick for us. Safeties we can get later but theres is also the DE where we have Carter and Ellis on the outside so theres a need to draft and groom on that spot too.

Solid LBs just add so much in my opinion, also pass rusher but the failrate on those seems pretty high.

We also could use a C so theres a need too.

Plenty of needs listed and I still want a over the top lightning speed WR.

Havent watched this Burfict guy enough yet but will take a close look at him. LBs are usually not drafted so high and if we have last years QB rally and then pass rusher rally then he might be in reach atleast with a reasonable trade.

As others have posted I also think we arent that solid in middle LB and the coverage we get from LBs. If he s as good as they say I think he would be a good pick for us. Safeties we can get later but theres is also the DE where we have Carter and Ellis on the outside so theres a need to draft and groom on that spot too.

Solid LBs just add so much in my opinion, also pass rusher but the failrate on those seems pretty high.

We also could use a C so theres a need too.

Plenty of needs listed and I still want a over the top lightning speed WR.

While a agree that we could use a young wr and C. I have no problem bringing Koppen, Branch and Welker back next year. Our defense looks pitiful. We have to put as many resources into fixing it as possible. Draft picks, trades, free agency. Then, I'll worry about the offense.

While a agree that we could use a young wr and C. I have no problem bringing Koppen, Branch and Welker back next year. Our defense looks pitiful. We have to put as many resources into fixing it as possible. Draft picks, trades, free agency. Then, I'll worry about the offense.

I wouldnt mind bringing all those in either. I actually hope they will be here but its time to draft some guys who can start develop and become their replacement.

It takes time to develop and also not every pick is a good one.

We need to keep the core of the offence together - with the Cap going up from 2013 (or is it 2014 - i forget) we should be okay to re-sign Welker (2012) and Mayo (2013).

Welker should be due something, but not a massive rise, Mayo will be due a bumper contract so we need the space for him.

I think the point i am tryint to make is that we can put points on teams, and will continue to do so for the next 2/3 seasons - we arguably need another O-Lineman but that can wait for 2013.

What we cannot do, is limit teams to under 30 points(!) and 3-400 yards passing. Ideally we should be able to keep teams to under 20 points and make it so that 3-400 yards passing = 3/4 INT's. We need to add some young talent (and playmakers) on the Defence to help our established core - by which i mean Wilfork, Mayo, Chung and McCourty.

I like the look of Ras-I, but wonder whether we are paying Butler too much for a 3rd string Corner? We also need a starting buddy for Chung so Safety is a position of need, either through FA or the Draft.

The most important area we need to have are at DE and a pass-rushing LB. Quite where we stand here vis-a-vis 3-4 or 4-3 or whatever i do not know. What i do know, and what we have seen over the past couple of seasons is that you cannot create adequate pressure through a scheme blitz - you need the physical tools and athletic ability to get after the QB fast enough to pressure and force poor passes and generate sacks.

I would like to see us get someone like that in 2012, drafting a player there, not making it too complex and letting him pin his ears back and kill the QB would be great. A little like Wade Phillips is doing in Houston with Mario Williams - not in his best position but with the licence to get into the backfield and create havoc. That would do me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back