Pro Bowl Player
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I see four potential Blue chippers in this draft:

1.) Luck QB Stanford
2.) Jeffries WR South Carolina
3.) Blackmon WR Oklahoma State
4.) Kahlil OT Southern California

A lot of posters are calling for BB to get a true #1 WR that can stretch the opposing team's defense.

Would anybody here consider trading both first rounders for a chance to move up and take either Blackmon or Jeffries?

No. More importantly there's zero chance Bill would.

I don't enough about Jeffries to comment, but it would be a no for me on Blackmon. I think he is a less-talented version of Dez Bryant (the comparisons are inevitable since both are OkSU guys), meaning the same diva attitude. Don't get me wrong, I'd love Dez' talent if he were here, but I wouldn't trade two first rounders for him. I'd only consider that kind of deal for someone with the profile of a Larry Fitzgerald or "Megatron." There was never a hint of a personality issue for either of them.

The way things are looking for the Pats right now, I think they could use two first-rounders on their team next year. I'd be thrilled with a legitimate talent at WR, but I'd be just as happy with a RDE that can two-gap, an LB that can cover, a LB with some pass rush technique, a FS, and/or C.

WR is probably the deepest position in the draft. Blackmon is not twice as valuable as Sanu, but he'll cost twice as much to trade up for.

(Replace Blackmon with Jeffery and Sanu with one of any number of guys if you prefer)

I see four potential Blue chippers in this draft:

1.) Luck QB Stanford
2.) Jeffries WR South Carolina
3.) Blackmon WR Oklahoma State
4.) Kahlil OT Southern California

A lot of posters are calling for BB to get a true #1 WR that can stretch the opposing team's defense.

Would anybody here consider trading both first rounders for a chance to move up and take either Blackmon or Jeffries?

hell to the **** no

Honestly, I think college WR's are the least interesting players in the draft to BB. If BB really wanted to go get an elite WR with draft picks, he'd do it with a trade, because he'd want to see film of the WR succeeding against NFL-level competition.

Last edited:
Alshon Jeffery's stock is really starting to fall after a disapointing season so far at South Carolina. It's not really his fault though because his QB's really haven't targeted him enough, but its still a concern. He hasn't been as explosive as teams would have expected so far and people are starting to question his athletecism. He likely won't run well in the leadup to the draft which I think could push his stock down even further. I've already seen some "experts" give him a late 1st round grade, so it is possible that he could either be available at the Pats first pick or at least in a reasonable range to trade up for. If that is the case I would seriously consider him because I think he will be a monster in the NFL, even without great speed. Right now he is the 3rd WR in the draft behind Blackmon and Michael Floyd, with Sanu right on his tail.

I love Blackmon but he will be a top 5 pick and well out of range. I like him better than both AJ Green and Dez Bryant, and I don't think he carries the same baggage Bryant did. I like Michael Floyd as a player but his issues would be too much for me. I also like Sanu but not in the 1st round.

The guy I really like is Juron Criner from Arizona in the 3rd or 4th round. He's got great size (6'4" 212lbs), good speed but great quickness. He does everything fast, whether its catching a quick screen or slant, or running a deep route. He's got good enough deep speed, with a good ability to track the ball and the size to battle for it down field. I'm not exactly sure why he is rated so lowly, but if he was more consistent I would rate him a 1st rounder.

In terms of potential Blue Chippers I would consider Matt Barkley from USC. I absolutely love this kid and I think he will be a better pro than Luck. The thing I really like about Barkley is he has faced so much adversity in is college career and he has handled it well. Whether its the Pete Carroll debacle, bowl suspensions, starting as a true freshman and playing with such an inexperienced team, he has impressed me with the way he has handled everything. He has all the intangibles you could ever ask for in the QB. On the other side Luck has never really been tested. Everything has come pretty easily to him. When he was put under pressure against USC with the chance to win he had mixed results. Yes he got the win but I wasn't convinced.

In terms of physical skills, there is no doubt that Luck has the bigger arm and better athletecism. But I think Barkley is the most pro ready QB in terms of scheme that I have seen in a long time. He is so comfortable under center, has the best pocket pressence I've seen out of a college QB and has enough arm to make all the throws. One thing that does concern me is he rely's too much on Robert Woods, but when Woods isn't on the field, and Barkley goes through his progressions I think he is the best QB in college football. I've watched a ton of USC games this year to watch TJ McDonald, but Barkley has just stood out. If he is somehow there when the Pats pick I wouldn't hesitate to take him.

Alshon Jeffery's stock is really starting to fall after a disapointing season so far at South Carolina. It's not really his fault though because his QB's really haven't targeted him enough, but its still a concern. He hasn't been as explosive as teams would have expected so far and people are starting to question his athletecism. He likely won't run well in the leadup to the draft which I think could push his stock down even further. I've already seen some "experts" give him a late 1st round grade, so it is possible that he could either be available at the Pats first pick or at least in a reasonable range to trade up for. If that is the case I would seriously consider him because I think he will be a monster in the NFL, even without great speed. Right now he is the 3rd WR in the draft behind Blackmon and Michael Floyd, with Sanu right on his tail.

I love Blackmon but he will be a top 5 pick and well out of range. I like him better than both AJ Green and Dez Bryant, and I don't think he carries the same baggage Bryant did. I like Michael Floyd as a player but his issues would be too much for me. I also like Sanu but not in the 1st round.

The guy I really like is Juron Criner from Arizona in the 3rd or 4th round. He's got great size (6'4" 212lbs), good speed but great quickness. He does everything fast, whether its catching a quick screen or slant, or running a deep route. He's got good enough deep speed, with a good ability to track the ball and the size to battle for it down field. I'm not exactly sure why he is rated so lowly, but if he was more consistent I would rate him a 1st rounder.

In terms of potential Blue Chippers I would consider Matt Barkley from USC. I absolutely love this kid and I think he will be a better pro than Luck. The thing I really like about Barkley is he has faced so much adversity in is college career and he has handled it well. Whether its the Pete Carroll debacle, bowl suspensions, starting as a true freshman and playing with such an inexperienced team, he has impressed me with the way he has handled everything. He has all the intangibles you could ever ask for in the QB. On the other side Luck has never really been tested. Everything has come pretty easily to him. When he was put under pressure against USC with the chance to win he had mixed results. Yes he got the win but I wasn't convinced.

In terms of physical skills, there is no doubt that Luck has the bigger arm and better athletecism. But I think Barkley is the most pro ready QB in terms of scheme that I have seen in a long time. He is so comfortable under center, has the best pocket pressence I've seen out of a college QB and has enough arm to make all the throws. One thing that does concern me is he rely's too much on Robert Woods, but when Woods isn't on the field, and Barkley goes through his progressions I think he is the best QB in college football. I've watched a ton of USC games this year to watch TJ McDonald, but Barkley has just stood out. If he is somehow there when the Pats pick I wouldn't hesitate to take him.

Jeffery looks very pudgy these days, depending on his issues this could be a very good thing, I really like the way the guy plays, I’m not sure if I could resist taking a shot on him if he was available in the 1st, though I’d much prefer to sign Vincent Jackson in free agency, but there’s about as much chance of that happening as there are a bunch of Richard Simmon’s Jrs running around.

Wilfork#75;In terms of potential Blue Chippers I would consider Matt Barkley from USC. I absolutely love this kid and I think he will be a better pro than Luck. The thing I really like about Barkley is he has faced so much adversity in is college career and he has handled it well. Whether its the Pete Carroll debacle said:
Your entitled to your opinion but Luck is the complete package. He is ideally suited for todays NFL with his ability to throw flawlessly on the run and bigtime scrambling skill. Both are excellent pocket passers but the hype over Luck isn't just the media. He truly is the best QB prospect I've ever seen.

Your entitled to your opinion but Luck is the complete package. He is ideally suited for todays NFL with his ability to throw flawlessly on the run and bigtime scrambling skill. Both are excellent pocket passers but the hype over Luck isn't just the media. He truly is the best QB prospect I've ever seen.

I think Luck is a great prospect and I think he will be a very good QB in the NFL, I just like Barkley better. However, in a different offensive scheme I would probably take Luck, but for what the Pats do I think Barkley is the better fit. That is of course in the hypothetical situation where either guy would be available to the Pats.

Oy!! :eek:

I'd be HORRIFIED to see us spend such heavy Draft Capital on Quarter Back, this year, even if we DO trade both our backups for MORE Draft Capital, as I hope...

I see Brady giving us anywhere from 5 to 8 more years.

Were he to complete the 2019 Campaign before riding off into the sunset ~ his stated goal, you recall ~ he would do so at the age of 42.

Brett Favre, by contrast, had an astonishing 33-7 TD-Interception "Ratio" at the age of 40.

And General Tom has the advantage of an additional decade of scientific evolution in the health field, the advantage of being a fanatical workaholic, and the advantage of not being a despicable, back stabbing, pill popping degenerate PenisTexter. :rolleyes:

So he's got THAT going for'm...

...which is nice.

As such, I would prefer we continue along the Matt Cassell ~ Brian Hoyer route for the next few years, with the hope that General Tom's eventual replacement would come thither.

And in any case: Luck or Barkley ~ who may very well go #1 and #2 ~ would cost an UNSPEAKABLE boat load of Picks, Picks that I would MUCH rather see us invest in Defense!!

Having said all that, I must give you props, Brother Wilfork, for your prescient comments regarding Barkley.

As much as I love Luck ~ he IS awesome!! ~ Barkley may very well BE his equal ~ even his superior!! ~ as a prospect, and it is rare, indeed, to read someone saying as much!! :eek:

I'd be HORRIFIED to see us spend such heavy Draft Capital on Quarter Back, this year, even if we DO trade both our backups for MORE Draft Capital, as I hope...

Were he to complete the 2019 Campaign before riding off into the sunset ~ his stated goal, you recall ~ he would do so at the age of 42.

Brett Favre, by contrast, had an astonishing 33-7 TD-Interception "Ratio" at the age of 40.

And General Tom has the advantage of an additional decade of scientific evolution in the health field, the advantage of being a fanatical workaholic, and the advantage of not being a despicable, back stabbing, pill popping degenerate PenisTexter. :rolleyes:

...which is nice.

As such, I would prefer we continue along the Matt Cassell ~ Brian Hoyer route for the next few years, with the hope that General Tom's eventual replacement would come thither.

And in any case: Luck or Barkley ~ who may very well go #1 and #2 ~ would cost an UNSPEAKABLE boat load of Picks, Picks that I would MUCH rather see us invest in Defense!!

Having said all that, I must give you props, Brother Wilfork, for your prescient comments regarding Barkley.

As much as I love Luck ~ he IS awesome!! ~ Barkley may very well BE his equal ~ even his superior!! ~ as a prospect, and it is rare, indeed, to read someone saying as much!! :eek:

I agree 100% that it would be beyond foolish to spend a bunch of draft capital on those QBs, give me the late round guys who we can develop while Brady still has years ahead of him, though I am worried that those years might depend heavily on how well he’s protected and what he’s given to work with at WR. Yet again Welker is THE guy at WR, if TFB had the weapons that Rodgers has I think he might play into Favre territory.

...which is nice.

I agree 100% that it would be beyond foolish to spend a bunch of draft capital on those QBs, give me the late round guys who we can develop while Brady still has years ahead of him, though I am worried that those years might depend heavily on how well he’s protected and what he’s given to work with at WR. Yet again Welker is THE guy at WR, if TFB had the weapons that Rodgers has I think he might play into Favre territory.

Indeed, sir.

Mind you: If I WAS to spend heavy Draft Capital on a QB, Luck and Barkley ~ unlike last year's scary All Arm/No Brain prospects ~ would be at the TOP of my list. :cool:

I enthusiastically concur, regarding the import of the surrounding cast on Brady's potential Longevity!!

Of course, while you and I see eye to eye on the importance of the Grizzlies protecting him, I don't place much emphasis on who he's got to throw to: The more we run, the better the health not only of Brady himself ~ exhaustive research strongly suggests that QB's rarely get hurt on running plays, especially the way Brady "blocks" :p ~ but the better the health of the Grizzlies, themselves, and of course: The better the health of the entire Defense, which gets far more rest when they're partnered with a Ball Control Offense. And, ultimately: Tiring out the enemy Defense while resting our own reaped VAST rewards from 2001 to 2004. The Ripple Effect of a Balanced Offense is IMMENSE.

Of course, that's not to say that I DON'T want a more potent Passing Game, going forward. Have My Cake And Eat It Too, I say!! :D

Not lecturing you, my knowledgeable friend: Just thinking aloud, really. What think ye??

Indeed, sir.

Mind you: If I WAS to spend heavy Draft Capital on a QB, Luck and Barkley ~ unlike last year's scary All Arm/No Brain prospects ~ would be at the TOP of my list. :cool:

I enthusiastically concur, regarding the import of the surrounding cast on Brady's potential Longevity!!

Of course, while you and I see eye to eye on the importance of the Grizzlies protecting him, I don't place much emphasis on who he's got to throw to: The more we run, the better the health not only of Brady himself ~ exhaustive research strongly suggests that QB's rarely get hurt on running plays, especially the way Brady "blocks" :p ~ but the better the health of the Grizzlies, themselves, and of course: The better the health of the entire Defense, which gets far more rest when they're partnered with a Ball Control Offense. And, ultimately: Tiring out the enemy Defense while resting our own reaped VAST rewards from 2001 to 2004. The Ripple Effect of a Balanced Offense is IMMENSE.

Of course, that's not to say that I DON'T want a more potent Passing Game, going forward. Have My Cake And Eat It Too, I say!! :D

Not lecturing you, my knowledgeable friend: Just thinking aloud, really. What think ye??

I think we're pretty much on the same page, I DEFINITELY want to see more running, I'm not sure why BB drafted 2 backs if he doesnt want to use them, which seems to be the case.

At the end of the day I want my team to be able to do whatever the hell it wants to, if that means airing it out or running it down their throats with smashmouth football, and anything in between.

One can NEVER have too much firepower, pass the cake!

I think Luck is a great prospect and I think he will be a very good QB in the NFL, I just like Barkley better. However, in a different offensive scheme I would probably take Luck, but for what the Pats do I think Barkley is the better fit. That is of course in the hypothetical situation where either guy would be available to the Pats.

This raises an interesting point.

1.) First I have to agree that Luck may not work as well in our system as some other QB's but
2.) I have watched Barkley spin the ball and I wonder if he has the arm strength to spin it deep in the NFL, or if he becomes another Pennington, king of the high percentage short passing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore