PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2010 Draft

The Coon

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
This is the most important draft for the future of this franchise. After watching what the saints did to us, we must find pass rushers,OL and just all around defensive players that will carry us in the future.

I agree that 2010 will be a critical draft for the Pats. Actually the 09-11 drafts will determine what the Pats will be for the next decade. 09 was definitely a success but clearly this team needs A LOT of work. This team really cant afford to bust in these next 2 drafts.

What's messed up is we need TWO OLB's on our team.

Finding one is rare and 3-4 OLB/DE conversions seem to have high boom/bust potential (Vernon Gholston, Shawn Crable, etc)

Finding TWO in the same draft... very unlikely.

If the Pats are looking to stick with the 3-4 next season, they could target someone like Cameron Heyward from Ohio State. He's 6-6, 285 pounds, and he's a great fit as a DE in a 3-4 system. According to most mocks, he could be had in the second round, which would allow the Pats to use their first rounder on the best available player, whoever that may be. Other fits at DE in the 3-4 system could be Allen Bailey from Miami and Jake Odrick from Penn State. They are also players who could be available in the second round.

Additionally, if the Pats are looking to stick in the 3-4 system, they would benefit from taking a look at a pass-rushing OLB. IMO, these are the best prospects to fill that need:

1. Jerry Hughes from TCU (6-3, 260, 4.64 40 time). He has 11 sacks this season, is a good fit to play DE in a 4-3 or OLB in a 3-4, and could slip to the second round. I think he would be a great success in New England.

2. Von Miller from Texas A&M (6-3, 240, 4.60 40 time). He has 17 sacks this season, and he's only a Junior. Some mocks compare him to Elvis Dumervil. Either he or Hughes could be a great pass rusher for the Pats in a 3-4 system.

Ricky Sapp from Clemson, and Eric Norwood from South Carolina. They could possibly fall to the Pats in the 3rd round.

If the Pats are looking to stick with the 3-4 next season, they could target someone like Cameron Heyward from Ohio State. He's 6-6, 285 pounds, and he's a great fit as a DE in a 3-4 system. According to most mocks, he could be had in the second round, which would allow the Pats to use their first rounder on the best available player, whoever that may be. Other fits at DE in the 3-4 system could be Allen Bailey from Miami and Jake Odrick from Penn State. They are also players who could be available in the second round.

Additionally, if the Pats are looking to stick in the 3-4 system, they would benefit from taking a look at a pass-rushing OLB. IMO, these are the best prospects to fill that need:

1. Jerry Hughes from TCU (6-3, 260, 4.64 40 time). He has 11 sacks this season, is a good fit to play DE in a 4-3 or OLB in a 3-4, and could slip to the second round. I think he would be a great success in New England.

2. Von Miller from Texas A&M (6-3, 240, 4.60 40 time). He has 17 sacks this season, and he's only a Junior. Some mocks compare him to Elvis Dumervil. Either he or Hughes could be a great pass rusher for the Pats in a 3-4 system.

Ricky Sapp from Clemson, and Eric Norwood from South Carolina. They could possibly fall to the Pats in the 3rd round.

I see Cameron Heyward and Allen Bailey as my top 2 3-4 DE prospects. I have the Pats taking Heyward in the 1st in my first mock draft on this board, and suggested an alternate version with Bailey in the 2nd. Arthur Jones and Jared Odrick are probably my next 2, with a bunch of guys in the late 2nd and 3rd-4th rounds as possibilities (Corey Wooton, Vince Oghobasse, Adrian Clayborn, Cameron Jordon, Leonard Marsh, etc.).

I don't think Von Miller fits at all for as a 3-4 OLB. He's in the Elvis Dumervil/James Harrison mold, around 240#, and not stout enough to set the edge for us. Great pass rusher, though. Jerry Hughes, Sergio Kindle, Eric Norwood, Ricky Sapp, and possibly Jeremy Beal and Austen Lane are all possibilities if BB wants a 3-4 OLB. If he wants more of a DE who can play the elephant and occasionally drop back into coverage then there are a lot of options in this draft (see the thread on "What BB Wants in a Pass Rusher") then there's a lot of potential candidates - Carlos Dunlap, Derrick Morgan, Greg Hardy, Everson Griffen, Jason Pierre-Paul, Greg Romeus, Beal and Lane, among others.

I see Cameron Heyward and Allen Bailey as my top 2 3-4 DE prospects. I have the Pats taking Heyward in the 1st in my first mock draft on this board, and suggested an alternate version with Bailey in the 2nd. Arthur Jones and Jared Odrick are probably my next 2, with a bunch of guys in the late 2nd and 3rd-4th rounds as possibilities (Corey Wooton, Vince Oghobasse, Adrian Clayborn, Cameron Jordon, Leonard Marsh, etc.).

I don't think Von Miller fits at all for as a 3-4 OLB. He's in the Elvis Dumervil/James Harrison mold, around 240#, and not stout enough to set the edge for us. Great pass rusher, though. Jerry Hughes, Sergio Kindle, Eric Norwood, Ricky Sapp, and possibly Jeremy Beal and Austen Lane are all possibilities if BB wants a 3-4 OLB. If he wants more of a DE who can play the elephant and occasionally drop back into coverage then there are a lot of options in this draft (see the thread on "What BB Wants in a Pass Rusher") then there's a lot of potential candidates - Carlos Dunlap, Derrick Morgan, Greg Hardy, Everson Griffen, Jason Pierre-Paul, Greg Romeus, Beal and Lane, among others.

One point of interest Mayo (great post as always by the way) - you say that Miller isn't a fit for us because he's in the 240 range, yet you say he reminds you of James Harrison.

Harrison is the best 3-4 OLB in the league, DeMarcus Ware included, and is absolutely magnificent against the run, in a scheme that is similar (although slightly different granted) to ours. I can't believe anyone wouldn't want a player that could play like him.

Interesting that the OLB's on this year's roster are shorter than they've been in previous seasons. Perhaps we're seeing a trend away from a Mike Vrabel (6'4", 260lb) or Willie Mac (6'5" 270 lb) sized guys (though they drafted Crable at 6'5" and wanted Jason Taylor at 6'6") and more guys who are TBC or Burgess sized... or perhaps a problem with the defense is that they still can't find the guys they really want for OLB, which is pretty obvious, I guess.

Interesting that the OLB's on this year's roster are shorter than they've been in previous seasons. Perhaps we're seeing a trend away from a Mike Vrabel (6'4", 260lb) or Willie Mac (6'5" 270 lb) sized guys (though they drafted Crable at 6'5" and wanted Jason Taylor at 6'6") and more guys who are TBC or Burgess sized... or perhaps a problem with the defense is that they still can't find the guys they really want for OLB, which is pretty obvious, I guess.

I simply don't get what he's looking for.

Here's what he had to say about OLBs this year:

The outside linebacker group was a little bit different this year. I mean, generally speaking, I think that there were more shorter players, maybe a little less speed than what we’ve seen, maybe a little more power with good production. There weren’t a lot of 4.6, 4.65 (40-yard-dash) guys. There weren’t a lot of 6-4, 6-5 guys. I’d say it was a much smaller pool of those types of players.

And, lo and behold, good players with those measurables are gone by the time the Patriots get to pick.

[And yes, I'm still pissed at Belichick keeping Chad Do-Nothing Brown over Justin Rogers. :mad:]

One point of interest Mayo (great post as always by the way) - you say that Miller isn't a fit for us because he's in the 240 range, yet you say he reminds you of James Harrison.

Harrison is the best 3-4 OLB in the league, DeMarcus Ware included, and is absolutely magnificent against the run, in a scheme that is similar (although slightly different granted) to ours. I can't believe anyone wouldn't want a player that could play like him.

Harrison and Dumervil are great players, as is 6'2" LaMarr Woodley. But BB has usually passed on shorter OLBs (which is why I think Eric Norwood is unlikely, though he has the versatility to play SILB, where height is less of an issue) and on OLBs in the 240 lb. range. Shawn Crable was 245 lbs. but was 6'5" with a frame which could easily carry more weight; his inability to add it and to be strong enough to set the edge has been one of the factors holding him back.

From what I've heard, Von Miller is not particularly strong against the run, but is a brilliant pass rusher. I don't see BB going for a player like that (just like I didn't see him going for 6'3" 240# Clay Matthews last year, though I liked Matthews as a player). I may be wrong.

Wes Bunting of National Football Post compared Miller and Sergio Kindle in last week's Texas vs. Texas A&M game (note that Bunting mis-states Kindle's height as less than 6'1"; he's supposedly 6'4"):

"Watching Miller, it was obvious he possessed an explosive first step off the edge and had the burst to consistently threaten the corner. He did a great job initially dropping his pad level on contact and making it tough for opposing tackles to get in on his frame off the snap. Kindle was similar in that aspect to Miller as he as well showcased a good first step and did a nice job keeping his pad level down initially out of his stance. Kindle also displayed an ability to knife his was through blocks inside and did a nice job maintaining his balance and playing with power as a straight-line athlete.

However, the biggest difference for me watching them get after the quarterback was Miller’s body control and suddenness. He did a much better job taking an opposing lineman up the field, stopping on a dime and exploding underneath the tackle with an impressive “up-and-under move.” Kindle looked more like a straight-line athlete who has the initial burst to shoot gaps inside on opposing tackles but lacks the necessary footwork/body control to effectively change directions and counter off his outside pass rush. And although Miller does have a tendency to get too upright and will lose his balance when trying to flatten out around the corner, he does a far better job extending his arms and using his hands to quickly slip blockers in space. Kindle isn’t nearly as impressive using his hands to shed blocks and struggles to disengage once an opposing lineman gets into his frame.

Even though both players have made their livings harassing Big 12 offenses and have the numbers/athletic ability to project as potential starting pass rushers (likely as 3-4 OLBs), it’s Miller who grades out as the better overall prospect in my mind. He showcases the ability to reach the passer in a number of ways and doesn’t need to rely nearly as much on his initial burst to win off the snap as Kindle."

Scout?s notebook: defensive fight night | National Football Post

Keep an eye on Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan, 6'2 268lbs.

Amazing motor and effort. Great Run stopper but also gets to the QB (9.5 sacks this season despite being double teamed often). Very good character. Better prospect than Woodley was coming out of Michigan. Would fit in the Pats scheme as a LOLB. I fully expect AD to be gone after this year. BB obviously likes big well built OLB's in the 260-270lbs range on the strong side and that's exactly what Graham is. Spends alot of time in opponents backfield. Played MLB in highschool so he has experience as a LB.

He isn't your tall athletic freak edge rusher... but then again, look at how those types have turned out for us (Vince Redd, Shawn Crable). Graham is gritty stout player that gives 110% effort.

Currently the #1 rated DE on scout.com. He might not even be around by the time we're picking. Some people think he may fall a bit due to lack of height and speed, but the guy is a football player and we'd be lucky to get him on draft day.

Any reports on his character/intelligence? He doesn't seem to be the brightest kid out there based on the interviews I've seen. Nor the best character.

I had some hope for Sergio Kindle but he hasn't had a good Season. Also some off the field issues.

On a maturity level, Kindle and Hughes seem like little boys compared to Graham.

Last edited:
Keep an eye on Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan, 6'2 268lbs.

He's one of my favorite guys this year. But I wish he was just a little lighter. I'm concerned he's going to add a few pounds and market himself as just another 4-3 DE. As a 260-265# 3-4 OLB I think he would be excellent.

I'll be very interested in his actual ht/wt/speed numbers from the Senior Bowl and Combine.

Last edited:
True, but he could probably lose weight just as easily and get down to 265lbs which is ideal for lolb in our 34

Then it would just come down to how our interviews go with him and how much the coaching staff thinks he can stay at that weight

Last edited:
"Watching Miller, it was obvious he possessed an explosive first step off the edge and had the burst to consistently threaten the corner. He did a great job initially dropping his pad level on contact and making it tough for opposing tackles to get in on his frame off the snap. However, the biggest difference for me watching them get after the quarterback was Miller’s body control and suddenness. He did a much better job taking an opposing lineman up the field, stopping on a dime and exploding underneath the tackle with an impressive “up-and-under move.” | National Football Post[/url]

I know Miller does NOT possess the length and size that BB prefers, and I admit, I have never seen the kid play, but this review has two things I think we desperately need in an OLB, #1.) SUDDENNESS/explosive first step and #2.) Change of direction/body control.

Spped rushers win the pass rush battel with their first step. Great pass rushers win by having a second or third move when the first step is mitigated by the opponent.

If these reports are true, BB can draft this kid, let Wocick make him strong while the coaches teach him to set the edge on running plays. He can play ST until ready, then let the kid play in 3rd and long or end of half/game drives.

Suddenness - explosion - this is what we need in a pass rusher.

What's messed up is we need TWO OLB's on our team.

Finding one is rare and 3-4 OLB/DE conversions seem to have high boom/bust potential (Vernon Gholston, Shawn Crable, etc)

Finding TWO in the same draft... very unlikely.

Finding one OLB in the draft is an impossible task for Bill Belichick.

He will defer that decision until 2012.

Last edited:
from TFY Draft rankings wirh projected Rd drafted
I'l take 2 from each and we should find one for BB linkings

olb
1 1st Jerry Hughes TCU 4Sr Terrific college defensive end who projects to rush linebacker in the NFL.
2 1-2 Sergio Kindle Texas 4Sr Athletic prospect who usually lines up at defensive end in the UT defense. Breaks down well, fluid and fast moving about the field and effective dropped off the line playing in space. Must really polish his game and start to stand out.
3 2nd Eric Norwood South Carolina 3Jr Solid athlete who moves well on his feet, making plays in every direction of the field. Primarily lines up in a three point stance yet effective when occasionally asked to make plays in space. Likely a rush linebacker in the NFL.
4 2nd Roddrick Muckelroy Texas 5Sr Knockout linebacker with a great amount of upside. Athletic, explosive and forceful. Runs down carriers in pursuit, gets depth on drops and covers a lot of area on the field. Hard hitting and very strong.
5 2nd Bruce Carter North Carolina 3Jr Instinctive linebacker who makes a lot of plays on the ball. Fluid moving about the field, covers a lot of area and possesses a terrific closing burst to the action. Tremendous special teams player.
6 2nd Sean Weatherspoon Missouri 4Sr Explosive, one-gap/weak side linebacker who covers a tremendous amount of area on the field. Makes plays sideline to sideline, cuts the corners of from running backs and effective in coverage.
7 2nd Navorro Bowman Penn State 4Jr Outstanding junior prospect. Athletic linebacker that stands out in space.
8 2nd Thaddeus Gibson Ohio State 4Jr Developing junior with a high upside.
9 3rd Daryl Washington TCU 4Sr Underrated linebacker that can play over tight end.
10 3-4 Darryl Gamble Georgia 3Jr Good athlete who covers a large amount of area on the field, making plays sideline-to-sideline. Effective in pursuit and also in coverage.

ILB

1 1st Brandon Spikes Florida 4Sr Dominant, forceful linebacker who controls the action up the field. Stout run defender who jars ball carriers with crushing hits and causes turnovers. Explosive blitzing up the field. Fluid moving to the sidelines chasing down ball carriers. Struggles moving in reverse in pass coverage, but does show ability in zone. Solid first round prospect.
2 1st Rolando McClain Alabama 3Jr Well rounded linebacker with a complete game. Picks up coverage assignments, displays good awareness and makes plays sideline to sideline. Dependable versus a true playmaking linebacker.
3 3rd Greg Jones Michigan State 3Jr Dynamite young prospect in the midst of a terrific season.
4 3rd Kelvin Sheppard LSU 4Jr
5 3-4 Vincent Rey Duke 4Sr Aggressive and underrated linebacker who stands out in pursuit. Flows to the action, fluid changing direction and fast to the flanks. Offers potential at a number of linebacker positions.
6 3-4 Sean Lee Penn State 5Sr One time dominant linebacker returning from a major knee injury. Could be the best linebacker to come from PSU the past five years if he is able to get back to prior playing form, which he's been slow to do.
7 3-4 Quan Sturdivant North Carolina 3Jr Potential weak side linebacker who easily moves about the field. Fluid, covers a lot of area and makes plays sideline-to-sideline.
8 4th Joe Pawelek Baylor 5Sr Instinctive and hard-nosed linebacker in the middle that can be used in a variety of systems. Stout at the point of attack, shed blocks and attacks assignments. Limited athletically and may be more of a two-down defender yet very underrated at this point.
9 4th Josh Bynes Auburn 3Jr
10 4-5 Jared Norton Texas 4Sr Disciplined linebacker who flies around the field chasing the action or explodes through the gaps in run defense. Flashes on the scene and a sudden defender with a good degree of upside. Suffered a shoulder injury in September and will apply for a medical harship to gain another year of eligibility

DE
1st Greg Hardy Mississippi 4Sr Dominant difference maker on the defensive line. Fast, quick and very explosive. Creates a lot off havoc off the edge and makes plays in all directions of the field. Lacks bulk and out positioned by large tackles. Must stay healthy and keep his head in the game but a potential top six pick in '10.
2 1st Greg Romeus Pittsburgh 4Jr Athletic defender who is a big time prospect. Flashes power, explosion and makes a lot of plays behind the line. Expected to enter the 2010 draft.
3 1st Jason Pierre-Paul South Florida 3Jr Junior college transfer that's turning in a sensational season. Likely to enter the draft and a first round selection.
4 1st Ricky Sapp Clemson 4Sr Athletic college defensive end that may transition to rush linebacker in the NFL. Plays with great balance, speed and effective up the field or in backside pursuit. Needs to stay healthy and a big year could push him into the top half of round one.
5 1-2 Corey Wootton Northwestern 5Sr Dominant defensive lineman coming off a major knee injury. Takes over games with his ability to be a disruptive force. Big, athletic and strong. Possible two-gap lineman or lined up across right tackle. Need to improve the details of his game, develop more moves and just needs more playing time. Has been slow returning from his knee injury.
6 1-2 Cameron Heyward Ohio State 3Jr Large, athletic junior with a great amount of upside potential. Possible two game lineman in a 3-4.
7 1-2 Carlos Dunlap Florida 3Jr Big, dominant defensive lineman who has the makings of a premiere two-gap end. Destroys opponents and can take over plays yet very raw and rough around the edges. Top twelve pick if he puts it together and consistently plays at a high level.
8 1-2 Derrick Morgan Georgia Tech 3Jr Smooth defensive end who flashes speed off the edge while also displaying the ability to squeeze through blocks on the inside. Plays with balance, body control and a good athlete with nice upside.
9 2nd Jeremy Beal Oklahoma 3Jr Fast, athletic defensive end best in a conventional system.
10 2nd Allen Bailey Miami-Fl 4Jr
11 2nd Brandon Graham Michigan 4Sr Sensational football player who plays with a non-stop motor. Fast up the field, pursues with speed off the edge and a disruptive force who makes a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage. Plays bigger than his size (270lbs) and constantly doubled by opponents. Growth limitations will knock him out of the draft's top two rounds yet a quality one-gap defensive lineman.

In looking at OLB prospects on paper, the one guy who really jumps out at me in terms of size and speed is Ricky Sapp. At 6-4, 248, and a 40 of 4.58, he really fits that BB mold. While he has great measurables and a high ceiling, he is rather raw and would be a project at OLB.
Another guy who really jumps out at me is Sean Weatherspoon. Solid measurables, intagibles, and just a beast on the field. From what I am reading, he has the versatility to play OLB or ILB. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Mayo. I don't know if that makes him redundant or he fits the BB paradigm for a LB worthy of a 1st round selection. There just seems to be a great deal of talent at the DE/OLB position in this draft, but Weatherspoon sticks out as that one player who is the most well-rounded and likely to have an impact right away.
My dream draft would be to get Weatherspoon, Sapp, Wooten, Lindley, Ducassey/Sam Young, Andre Roberts, Jimmy Graham.

Last edited:
In looking at OLB prospects on paper, the one guy who really jumps out at me in terms of size and speed is Ricky Sapp. At 6-4, 248, and a 40 of 4.58, he really fits that BB mold. While he has great measurables and a high ceiling, he is rather raw and would be a project at OLB.
Another guy who really jumps out at me is Sean Weatherspoon. Solid measurables, intagibles, and just a beast on the field. From what I am reading, he has the versatility to play OLB or ILB. In a lot of ways he reminds me of Mayo. I don't know if that makes him redundant or he fits the BB paradigm for a LB worthy of a 1st round selection. There just seems to be a great deal of talent at the DE/OLB position in this draft, but Weatherspoon sticks out as that one player who is the most well-rounded and likely to have an impact right away.
My dream draft would be to get Weatherspoon, Sapp, Wooten, Lindley, Ducassey/Sam Young, Andre Roberts, Jimmy Graham.

I'm not a big Ricky Sapp fan. He has disappeared for long stretches, is mainly a speed rusher, and is somewhat weak against the run and setting the edge. I can think of 8-10 guys I'd rather have.

Weatherspoon is a terrific player, but he's mainly a 4-3 WLB and brings a lot of the same things that Guyton already brings. Not much of a pass rusher.

Ricky Sapp = Manny Lawson but not as good

ILB

1 1st Brandon Spikes Florida 4Sr Dominant, forceful linebacker who controls the action up the field. Stout run defender who jars ball carriers with crushing hits and causes turnovers. Explosive blitzing up the field. Fluid moving to the sidelines chasing down ball carriers. Struggles moving in reverse in pass coverage, but does show ability in zone. Solid first round prospect.
2 1st Rolando McClain Alabama 3Jr Well rounded linebacker with a complete game. Picks up coverage assignments, displays good awareness and makes plays sideline to sideline. Dependable versus a true playmaking linebacker.
3 3rd Greg Jones Michigan State 3Jr Dynamite young prospect in the midst of a terrific season.
4 3rd Kelvin Sheppard LSU 4Jr
5 3-4 Vincent Rey Duke 4Sr Aggressive and underrated linebacker who stands out in pursuit. Flows to the action, fluid changing direction and fast to the flanks. Offers potential at a number of linebacker positions.
6 3-4 Sean Lee Penn State 5Sr One time dominant linebacker returning from a major knee injury. Could be the best linebacker to come from PSU the past five years if he is able to get back to prior playing form, which he's been slow to do.
7 3-4 Quan Sturdivant North Carolina 3Jr Potential weak side linebacker who easily moves about the field. Fluid, covers a lot of area and makes plays sideline-to-sideline.
8 4th Joe Pawelek Baylor 5Sr Instinctive and hard-nosed linebacker in the middle that can be used in a variety of systems. Stout at the point of attack, shed blocks and attacks assignments. Limited athletically and may be more of a two-down defender yet very underrated at this point.
9 4th Josh Bynes Auburn 3Jr
10 4-5 Jared Norton Texas 4Sr Disciplined linebacker who flies around the field chasing the action or explodes through the gaps in run defense. Flashes on the scene and a sudden defender with a good degree of upside. Suffered a shoulder injury in September and will apply for a medical harship to gain another year of eligibility

I really doubt we look at ILB in this draft. Guyton has been servicable and is still growing into his role. Honestly I think he's more of a special teamer and back up but BB is cheap and likes to get the most out of what he already has.

We also have Tyrone McKenzie who projects to ILB in our scheme. Cant' see us taking a ILB in the top rounds

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back