PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2002 Draft the Worst Ever in the NFL - for everyone but the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Came across this SI.com article about the 2002 draft class being among the worst drafts in history....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/10/26/bad.draft/index.html

Maybe it was - for everyone but the Patriots who seemed to find quality at the top, middle and bottom of the draft.

1 (21, 21) - Dan Graham, Colorado
2 (33, 65) - Deion Branch, Louisville
4 (19, 117) - Rohan Davey, Louisiana State
4 (28, 126) - Jarvis Green, Louisiana State
7 (26, 237) - Antwoine Womack, Virginia
7 (33, 244) - David Givens, Notre Dame

Now while Graham hasn't been all that I hoped he would, he's not been a bust either - an nowhere near the turds at the top of that 2002 draf - nor is he overpaid at a cap hit of $1.5 mil a season right now.

Branch, Green and Givens - 'nuff said.

The only unfortunately thing is that as of next season, Javis Green might be the only one on the team from a very good 2002 draft. But, as the French say, C'est la vie.

Last edited:
Nice find JoeS. Reminds me of the Len Bias cocaine draft in Basketball,though that was almost a complete washout until Chuck Person near the bottom of round 1.

A lot of interesting things there. The Broncs took Lelie instead of Walker then ended up having to trade for Javon. Doesn't make their front office look too good.

I like Graham, but remember the Pats had to trade up for that. Not their finest hour. Of course Walker and Graham can still make those moves look great.

I'd say Lito Shepphard and Ed Reed were great picks. Freeney looks good now, might look a little high in the future, though as he seems one dimensional.

I also like Ramsey as a QB. Is he with the Jets? With all the turkeys at the position, I don't see why he doesn't get another shot.

Hopefully, we found 2 more bargain WRs in the second round that year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand