PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2 Coach questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The debate is that it was a HOF game all time game plan. I think it was just a notch below. Not on the same level as 2001. 2001 the pats were massive underdogs. Equating both Rams Superbowl victories as HOF is offbase imo.

The 2018 Pat's defense held a team to its lowest percentage of regular season scoring average in a Super Bowl in NFL history. That is not a "notch below" anything imo. Actually it's a notch above everything. Haha. (Just having with the discussion) :D

upload_2019-8-3_15-17-47.png

Ref: Barnwell: A defensive masterpiece, and the play that won the Super Bowl

The 2018 Pat's defense held a team to its lowest percentage of regular season scoring average in a Super Bowl in NFL history. That is not a "notch below" anything imo. Actually it's a notch above everything. Haha. (Just having with the discussion) :D

View attachment 23804

Ref: Barnwell: A defensive masterpiece, and the play that won the Super Bowl
Sure if you want to look at stats. I'm just saying their competition was a bit banged up. If the pats defense was so good how come their were no defensive TDS? It was probably more the offenses were so bad

Sure if you want to look at stats. I'm just saying their competition was a bit banged up. If the pats defense was so good how come their were no defensive TDS? It was probably more the offenses were so bad
Kindly observe the first rule of holes.

Honestly I was going to put up the schedule of the 2018 rams after their bye week but it's laughable that you think the two rams teams are on the same level. 2001 has hall of famers... I highly doubt Goff will be a hall of famer or even anyone else on that team

2001 was ahead of their time... Now all the rules are for the offense... Hell I'd say stopping mahomes the first half of the KC game is more impressive.. but even he didn't have hunt... The 2018 rams fell off alot losing Cooper kupp.
But you didn’t because:

Rams first 8 games 264 points
Rams last 8 games 263 points.

How do the Seahawks and broncos compare to the 2018 Superbowl run?
We are talking about the SB not Sb runs.

Both had good games and would be in the argument.

Defensive TD's isn't a metric I'd use solely to rate how good a defense played during a game. Points allowed, yards allowed, 3rd down conversions etc.. also need to be considered.

I do agree Gurley's injury had an impact and that the 2001 Rams were comparatively the better offensive unit out of the two Ram teams.

Holding any NFL team to 3 points is an accomplishment but holding a Super Bowl contending team to 3 points has only happened once before. The Rams put up 30 points on a 7th ranked Dallas defense and 26 vs the 14th ranked Saints defense in their dome with the same injured Gurley and same Goff so watching a 21st ranked Patriot's defense hold them to 3 definitely indicated that the defensive game plan was special.

Yes stats suck without context, I agree, but we're discussing HOF worthy gameplans and personally I did not expect at all that the Pats would hold the Rams to 3 points and actually expected both teams to put up a lot more points. The Rams did not only not score they only sniffed the red zone once if I recall correctly. They were basically shut down. Most expected a high scoring game given how each team performed leading up to the Super Bowl and most, if not all, were shocked at the outcome. Expectations are a part of the context imo. So if we're discussing defensive gameplans I do think this is one of the best ever.

By the way, I wouldn't rank either above the other because both were equally special imo..

It's kind of strange the big gap in decades...
1974-2013 not in the list

I saw that as well. And think it could be argued that because of the difference in eras that holding a team to 9% of its regular season production in this era that much more impressive. But in a stats suck context the 85 Bears aren't on the list. haha

I think what BB did in this Super Bowl defensively was more impressive than any other SB he coached including SB 25. Holding the Bills down to 19 points was great but a lot of that had to do with the Giants running game controlling the clock. Plus if Norwood makes the FG the entire narrative changes. The Bills had just come off spanking the Raiders 51-3 so everyone was assuming there was no way they could be stopped.

This Super Bowl was supposed to be a high scoring affair and what was done to the Rams was spectacular. Held to 3 points and under 200 yards until late in the 4th. I think he loses historical credit as the Pats were favored so while they were not expected to shut them down they were expected to win by most.

Perhaps if we refresh peoples minds on what the defense actually did, this silliness can end.

Rams drives
3 plays 2 yards punt
5/17 yards punt
3/3 punt
5/23 punt
3/-6 punt
3/8 punt

End of half
6 drives 47 yards 6 punts

5/21 punt
3/4 punt
At this point the rams had 8 drives 72 yards no points had not crossed midfield and had 3 first downs.

In the rest of the game they scored 3 points.

Honestly I was going to put up the schedule of the 2018 rams after their bye week but it's laughable that you think the two rams teams are on the same level. 2001 has hall of famers... I highly doubt Goff will be a hall of famer or even anyone else on that team

2001 was ahead of their time... Now all the rules are for the offense... Hell I'd say stopping mahomes the first half of the KC game is more impressive.. but even he didn't have hunt... The 2018 rams fell off alot losing Cooper kupp.
Their entire offense was oz, iz that looked like oz & crossing 2 of Cooks, Woods & Kupp.
Kupp is the best run blocker of the 3. Probably best at getting open the easiest/quickest which definitely hurt Goff.

They ate off that pa for weeks. PA ... Scan.. Hit the crosser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back