PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

1990 Pats....like watching a car crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great thread! I remember the Jim Plunkett years. I remember the Patriots being #4 in Boston with only a cult following. I remember when the idea of just making the playoffs, of having Curt Gowdy or **** Enberg actually calling the game was a thrill. Let's put it this way. When the Patriots clinched playoff spots in 1976, 1978,1982, and 1985, all home games, I had to listen on the radio because the games didn't sell out!!! In 1985a all I wanted was one playoff win. When Mosi Tatupu clinched the Dolphins game and I could say..the Patriots are going to the Super Bowl..it meant all things in the world was possible. Younger fans have NO idea. In 1993 when it looked like they were headed to St Louis most people didn't care. I remember that. Then..Bob Kraft bought the team. Suddenly we realized we did indeed have a team. We had Bill Parcells. We had Drew Bledsoe. We won our last 4 games. And the mania started! People go back 11 years. I go back to 1994. Kraft said he wanted to be like the 49ers. In 18 years the Patriots have made the playoffs 13 times, won the division 11 times, been to the AFC title game 6 times, been to the Super Bowl 5 times, and won 3 times and we still have this year to go. Appreciate it, because when Belichick and Brady go it ends. That's sports.

They didn't have a home playoff game in 1985. That's what made their run to the SB so much more amazing.

They didn't have a home playoff game in 1985. That's what made their run to the SB so much more amazing.

The 1985 Pats were road warriors. The 1996 Pats were even better.

Were you in Foxboro on that glorious, very foggy, day in January 1997? Pure awesome. The AFC Championship game was even better........

Otis Smith picking up a Jags fumble late in the 4th quarter and taking it to the house was one of the best things I have ever seen. Foxboro Stadium was shaking.

Were you in Foxboro on that glorious, very foggy, day in January 1997? Pure awesome. The AFC Championship game was even better........

Otis Smith picking up a Jags fumble late in the 4th quarter and taking it to the house was one of the best things I have ever seen. Foxboro Stadium was shaking.

I was actually in Montana listening to those games on the radio. I'll never forget it.

Well, the years between 1967 and 1972 were beyond bad at points, bordering on the surreal, with highlights being the quarterbacking of Joe Kapp, who 90% of patfans posters could throw a tighter pass than, and the psychedelic administration of Clive Rush, already alluded to here.

When almost electrocuting yourself on stage doesn't make the top ten of your most bizarre moments, you know you've got something.

And I'm perfectly serious about anybody being able to throw a better spiral than Kapp, old timers, back me up.

This is a highlight film which actually contains a couple NFL quality spirals. Add on a few hard drinking years to those wobbly ducks in the beginning and elsewhere, and you get to see what passed for QB in those days. Sad part is, he was still better than Taliaferro. Oh, the horror.

Joe Kapp - YouTube

I never knew he could actually throw a spiral. I do remember his jump shot-puts though, which were three of those throws in the video versus only one spiral...

Some times the newer posters "lose" their perspective onhow great this run has been, we were used to absolutely terrible teams.. a few very good players, but overall really crappy teams.

The only coverage was on the radio as we were perenially blacked out, and got the "D" announcing team.. in every sense of the word we were the laughing stock of the league.

There was no gear, the first Pats gear ever had was a "Squish the Fish T-Shirt"...

I refer those days as the "lean years"... you had to be a real die hard to believe in this team. Every move they made seemed to make things worse...

At least those in Boston areas didn't get as much ridicule as guys like me here in Pa during those 1-15 times.

People in Mass and surrounding states at least had each other to comfort one another.

Here,it was pure comedy looking at me in my Patriots leather jacket at 1-15 while the Eagles and Steelers were having O.K. Seasons

That's nothing. I was down here in DC during that lates 80's -early 90's period - - Gibbs was winning his 2nd and 3rd SB (pre-Dan Snyder). Wearing my Pats stuff around here was an automatic snide comment or 20.

Well, the years between 1967 and 1972 were beyond bad at points, bordering on the surreal, with highlights being the quarterbacking of Joe Kapp, who 90% of patfans posters could throw a tighter pass than, and the psychedelic administration of Clive Rush, already alluded to here.

When almost electrocuting yourself on stage doesn't make the top ten of your most bizarre moments, you know you've got something.

And I'm perfectly serious about anybody being able to throw a better spiral than Kapp, old timers, back me up.

This is a highlight film which actually contains a couple NFL quality spirals. Add on a few hard drinking years to those wobbly ducks in the beginning and elsewhere, and you get to see what passed for QB in those days. Sad part is, he was still better than Taliaferro. Oh, the horror.

Joe Kapp - YouTube

At least he learned to throw a pretty good right hook in his old age!

Angelo Mosca and Joe Kapp Fist Fight - Complete Video - Unedited - YouTube

Every move they made seemed to make things worse...

As a diehard fan since 1969 (including the infamous 1970 "Hub Kapp Era"), the words above summarizes the unvarnished truth.

Hmmmm. 1985 Pats vs 1996 Pats...
QB-96
RB-Tie (Martin was great but James/Collins was a great combo)
WR-96
TE-96
OL-85 Pats. Hannah, Holloway, Brock, Ron Wooten and Big House Moore

DL-Tie.
LB-85 by a landslide
FS/SS-Hmmmm. Milloy and Clay vs Pro Bowler Marion and Roland James...slight edge to 96.
CB-85 by a nose. Law and OTIS vs Lippett and Clayborn.

Teams
K-96, but Tony Franklin was outstanding
P-Cammarillo by far
KR/PR -85, Fryar and Stephan Starring...

Sheesh, really dating myself here...:D

Last edited:
I often rename rookies after those two teams in Madden.

I can remember watching those teams as a kid and somehow loving them. A face only a parent could love type situation. I clearly remember them playing the 49ers one of those years and being so confused how that was even allowed. It was like the Pats were some minor league franchise even the stadium was minor league. Truly unbelievable how far they've come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe