Not open for further replies.

Dragda

Yes, it's really me...
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
20-0 is possible. 19-0 can be beat if somehow there are three 16-0 teams in one conference and the lowest seeded one wins four playoff games. While it is unlikely, there can be a 20-0.

16-0 can't be beat unless they extend the season to more regular season games. Come to think of it, that scenario is much more likely than 20-0.

I've always wanted to start a pointless thread.

20-0 is possible. 19-0 can be beat if somehow there are three 16-0 teams in one conference and the lowest seeded one wins four playoff games. While it is unlikely, there can be a 20-0.

16-0 can't be beat unless they extend the season to more regular season games. Come to think of it, that scenario is much more likely than 20-0.

I've always wanted to start a pointless thread.

nope...they cant...i posted teh same question a couple of weeks ago....i was told why it cant happen...

it was something about the division ppl plays a different division....or something like that

Last edited:
nope...they cant...i posted teh same question a couple of weeks ago....i was told why it cant happen...

it was something about the division ppl plays a different division....or something like that

There are four divisions in each conference.

For a team to have 20 victories that would mean they didn't have a bye.

I'm unclear as to how one could be 16-0 and not have a bye.

I suppose that would mean that three teams all finished 16-0 in the same Conference with one missing out on the bye.

Whether that's possible or not given the schedule of teams playing or not playing each other I don't know, but the likelihood of that happening PERIOD is astronomically low, wouldn't you say?

A couple of days ago I brought up the prospect of the NFL adding two more teams in each conference plat-offs eliminating the byes and this board almost imploded when asked the question whether 20-0 was better than 19-0

The season 3 teams go 16-0 will be the last NFL season I ever bother with. :rolleyes:

20-0 is possible. 19-0 can be beat if somehow there are three 16-0 teams in one conference
Cannot be done.

There are four divisions, so there can only be 2 16-0 teams.

For instance, if a team from AFCE goes 16-0, then no other team from AFCE can be 16-0,obviously.

But the AFCE will play an entire division from AFC, so if the AFCE team is 16-0,then obviously no team from the division they play can be 16-0, either.

This year, it means that no team from AFCN could be 16-0.

That means the other two 16-0 teams would have to come from the other two conferences, but because they play each other, that is impossible for two teams to be 16-0.

Try it yourself for this year or any year. Find three teams that could be 16-0. You cannot because it is simply impossible.

Cannot be done.

For instance, if a team from AFCE goes 16-0, then no other team from AFCE can be 16-0,obviously.

But the AFCE will play an entire division from AFC, so if the AFCE team is 16-0,then obviously no team from the division they play can be 16-0, either.

That means the other two 16-0 teams would have to come from the other two conferences, but because they play each other, that is impossible for two teams to be 16-0.

Try it yourself for this year or any year. Find three teams that could be 16-0. You cannot because it is simply impossible.

You're absolutely right, except that you had a typo calling divisions "conferences". (But I had worse typos than that until I edited this note ...)

If there are two 16-0 teams in the same conference, then there are two divisions in which no team is better than 15-1. And teams in the same division as the 16-0 squads can be no better than 14-2. So no other team in the same conference can be better than 15-1.

And by the way, the only way there can even be two 16-0 teams is if at least one of them didn't win its division the prior year. ;)

Last edited:
The NFL is already seriously talking about going to a 17 game season. Teams would alternate the extra home game every year.

Not sure if it would happen, but it's being offered to mollify the owners who are complaining about the possibility of having to play out of the country and thus losing a home game. (One of the two teams has to lose a home game.) Teams that play abroad will get 8 home games that year, 8 away games, and 1 game abroad, and then would get 9-8 the next year.

Jerry Jones is leading the charge, but the NFL has many other games like the London game it wants to play. The 17-game season is one of the solutions being seriously debated in order to get the votes.

The only way to have three undefeated teams is with a tie game. Like one 16-0 and two 15-0-1 teams that played and tied eachother. Even in that scenario you still get 19-0 or 19-0-1.

A 17 game season is ******ed and the NFL should never again play a regular season game in a foreign country. That game in London was a travesty, those people there have no clue about American football and don't care about it either. Some moron kept blowing a whistle the whole game.

Cannot be done.

By the way, good thinking :cool:

You're absolutely right, except that you had a typo calling divisions "conferences".
Whoops. Numbers are my friends, but I only have a so-so relationship with words.

And by the way, the only way there can even be two 16-0 teams is if at least one of them didn't win its division the prior year. ;)
Excellent point. They also couldn't both be second in their divisions, either, or third of fourth.

Last edited:
A 17 game season is ******ed and the NFL should never again play a regular season game in a foreign country. That game in London was a travesty, those people there have no clue about American football and don't care about it either. Some moron kept blowing a whistle the whole game.

Were you there? I was:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gomezcat/page1

The "should games be played abroad?" debate is completely valid, but please don't suggest that we Brits don't care about Football, because it is not true. Many of us are very passionate about the game and have been for 20 years or so.

The only way to have three undefeated teams is with a tie game. Like one 16-0 and two 15-0-1 teams that played and tied eachother. Even in that scenario you still get 19-0 or 19-0-1.

This 20-0 scenario simply doesn't work when you account for the bye week that a top 2 conference team would get.
The only way for a team to go 20-0 is to add another game to the schedule, either by eliminating the bye or by lengthening the regular season to 17 games in 18 weeks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing