PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

14-time Pro-Bowler Merlin Olsen passes on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 14 Time pro-Bowler Merlin Olsen - passes on

I remember watching them along with Deacon Jones. What a defense and its amazing they never won a Title with them.

RIP.
Didn't the Pats draft his brother (phil), who then refused to play for us?

RIP.
Didn't the Pats draft his brother (phil), who then refused to play for us?

Yup. Football Phil Olsen he was called. A D bag.

Condolences to the Olsen family. I really liked Merlin.

Football star and TV actor Merlin Olsen dies at 69 - Yahoo! News

wasn't that old. - some of you old timers must remember him.

14 consecutive Pro Bowls - wow :eek:
is there anyone close to that today?

Nobody comes close in terms of consecutive selections...closest was 12 consecutive by Randall McDaniel and Junior Seau.

THere could be some who get to the career total of 14...Peyton is at 10 selections and doesn't look like he will break down in the next six years or so so he should tie or even break their record.

Can anyone change the title to "14-time Pro-Bowler and Hall of Famer"? Seems like an unintentional slight to him to not have that earned honor in the title...

Last edited:
He was a great one indeed, I remember him well from my youth. MVP of the league one year IIRC.

RIP Merlin.

He was a great one indeed, I remember him well from my youth. MVP of the league one year IIRC.

RIP Merlin.

Just like a Colts fan to rip a class guy like Merlin Olsen.

Oh, wait...

RIP Merlin.

1974 Bert Bell Award winner...

As a Pats fan who grew up in the 70's and 80's , I remember him more as a partner of **** Endberg... He did alot of Pats games, and when he did them they were big games.. Sorry to see him go..

As a Pats fan who grew up in the 70's and 80's , I remember him more as a partner of **** Endberg... He did alot of Pats games, and when he did them they were big games.. Sorry to see him go..

Whenever the Patriots were up and coming, he was always one of the few to sing thier praise.

I remember him mostly AFTER the Fearsome Foursome years. Along with Larry Brooks (an All-Pro DT), Jack Youngblood and Fred Dryer, they were almost as feared. Everything he did, he did well it seemed. After his playing days, he was only about 230 lbs, which was probably his natural weight. Apparently he had trouble keeping the 280 playing weight up, which I always thought interesting for some reason.

My first NFL game was the Rams at Pats in '74. The Pats won 20-14 at (then) Schaefer Stadium. I was just a kid, but I loved both teams. I loved the Rams uniforms, with the yellow horns. Merlin had his hands full of Hog Hannah that day. It probably didn't go well for him.

Rest in Peace, Merlin. Condolences to his family.

Very, very sad when I saw it today.

My two favorite pairs of NFL announcers and they were and still are the best:

Absolute legends:

Charlie Jones & Todd Christensen

**** Enberg & Merlin Olsen

A great player who received far more fame and fortune with his TV career after football.
By all accounts just a terrific person.
RIP #74

Last edited:

Me too. I didn't know him as a player. I knew him as Endberg's sidekick, Little House on the Prairie and spokesperson for FTD...

Guess he had cancer. Thats rough. RIP Merlin.

I really appreciate reading these posts from Pats fans on one of my favorite Rams players. It was fun to root for somebody for his entire career. I remember David Halberstrom writing a book about the 1947 pennant race between the Yanks and Red Sox and his feeling that Johnny Pesky was one of his favorite players and even more deserving off the field. I felt that way about Merlin. RIP 74.

Told my fiance who had her internship at the Riley hospital for children in Indy, she said he would show up without fanfare to visit the kids often.

Sounds like he was a genuinely nice and caring person.

Rest in peace, Mr. Olsen.

Very, very sad when I saw it today.

My two favorite pairs of NFL announcers and they were and still are the best:

Absolute legends:

Charlie Jones & Todd Christensen

**** Enberg & Merlin Olsen

Wait.....What.... Todd Christenson? Is this a typo? I mean everybody is entitled to their own opinion and all, but Todd Christensen?

Armchair, not the thread for it.

Kinda sad since I just literally got done rewatching Super Bowl XX.

*sigh

I grew up in the Los Angeles area in the 1960s -- that DL was larger than life.

Jones had the flair for sports publicity -- nicknames, invention of the word "sack", etc. Olsen was probably the most physical and best player of the bunch, with the helmet slap. Rosey Grier had a flair for non-sports publicity (RFK's tragically unsuccessful bodyguard, acting career).

Lamar Lundy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia says all four of them did at least a little acting, actually.

IIRC Roger Brown, also in the mix, was the one who on a prior team picked up an offensive guard and threw him at the QB.

Just a collection of men who were brutally violent on the field, yet apparently good guys off it.

R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick