PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

07 Patriots 7th Greatest Team of All Time-NFL 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, we'll keep on winning. The question is "at what rate".

Will we win at the rate of the decades of this this century (2001-2010, and 2011-2019)?

Will we win at the rate of the 90's, of the 80's, of the 70's, of the 60s?

There are folks that remember each of these decades well.
70's team was built by 2nd best coach/GM in Pats history, and suffered two catastrophic and unparalleled incidents at the same venue within 21 months, plus owner was looney.

80's were good enough but still lousy ownership and coach got QB depth chart backwards.

So, I hope and expect better than any of those decades, with the legacy and standards being left with us.

Consider that the Pats have 7 teams on that list, not a bad body of work..
7. (2007)
16. (2014)
21. (2016)
32. (2003)
46. (2014)
51. (2001)
79. (2018)

Consider the Jets...

24. (1968)... 51 years ago of mediocrity and football ineptitude.

#32 (2003)... I fixed it.

Opposite of diminishing or denigration:

It's a tribute to them and a continuation of their legacy.

Barring a catastrophic housecleaning, their commitment and standards will remain here with us, hopefully forever.

The Celtics continued to win after Russell retired, not at the same rate, but as much or better than anyone else.

I don't see the Pats being AS dependent on Belichick as the Celts were on Red; Krafts are a stable ownership.

I think post retirement BB will be a force here here for a long time as some sort of consultant that does require the rigorous schedule that he currently adheres to...

2007 New England Patriots ... Only team in league history with a 300+ point differential... Seven was too high for that team... top three of all time would be acceptable, top 2 would be better, regardless of the way that season ended...

The 76 Raiders being 8th is as bad if not worse than the 72 Fins being first. If not for Ben Dreith that team is one and done and lost to the ages. It took 25 years but FU the tuck rule was karmic justice.

Also the 99 Rams being higher than the 03 and especially 04 Patriots is a joke. You couldn't beat the 01 Patriots with essentially the same team, you barely beat a Titans team that was a Music City Miracle away from being one and done. They are so overrated.

Regarding the 07 Patriots eliminating all the things that had to go perfectly down the stretch for the Giants IE, Samuel dropping an easy INT, the Tyree catch, no in the grasp, no holding on the Giants OL including a choke hold, Dan Pees calling cover zero and putting a 5'9" corner on a 6'5" receiver........the thing everybody forgets about is that game changed when Stephen Neal went out. They had driven the field for a TD before he got hurt. Once he went down that totally changed the balance of power between the two lines. All it would have taken was one or two more sustained drives to wear out that Giant's DL and it's a totally different game.

If he doesn't get hurt there's no question the Patriots are #1 and then the list changes because the voters aren't compelled to put the 72 Fins #1. I think they easily drop out of the top 5 at that point.

I also think when comparing these teams you can't just look at dominance for that one season. You have to pit them against each other. For example the 46 defense was so effective because it took people by surprise. Yes they were dominant a few other years but never to that degree as the league caught up. I think any of the Pats 6 championship teams plus the 07 team beat the Bears minus perhaps 01 and 18. I also think the 84 and 89, 49ers, the 91 Redskins, the 92 or 93 Cowboys also beat them.

Using those other teams that I think would beat the Bears how would the Patriots 04 team do against them? I'm not sure if they would win or not but man those would be some epic games.

Of course, we'll keep on winning. The question is "at what rate".

Will we win at the rate of the decades of this this century (2000-2009, and 2010-2019)?

Will we win at the rate of the 90's, of the 80's, of the 70's, of the 60s?

There are folks that remember each of these decades well.

Fixed

Barring a catastrophic housecleaning, their commitment and standards will remain here with us, hopefully forever.

The Celtics continued to win after Russell retired, not at the same rate, but as much or better than anyone else.

I don't see the Pats being AS dependent on Belichick as the Celts were on Red; Krafts are a stable ownership.

I agree to a point. It's just such a QB driven league. Look at the Chargers which are a **** show of an organization. Because they have the QB they are able to compete most years. Meanwhile the Bills who have had as much talent as the Chargers on an annual average basis suck because their QB situation has been awful. (Playing the Pats twice every year doesn't help either. In 07 the Bills were 8-6 vs the rest of the league for instance and would have had a plus point differential but they got blown out by 80 points by the Pats.)

If Brady retired and Stidham was the starter and he was able to do approximately what JG or Brissette are doing they would be a playoff team. Are you beating Atlanta or Seattle? No. Do you still beat the Rams? Probably but you don't make it past the Chiefs to get there.

I think the biggest difference would be the playoff wins. The regular winning percentage with TB of .778 maybe dips to .666 with an average QB. However his .750 winning percentage in the playoffs goes below .500 for sure. Winning 3 of every 4 playoff games is just stunning.

I read a great article a couple of months ago by Joe Fitzgerald about the comparison between the Russell/Red Celtics and the Brady/Belichick Pats. I've been blessed to have seen both. Throw in Bobby Orr, Ted Williams and Pedro Martinez, and I could reasonably argue that I've been able to root for the GOAT in all four major pro sports.

The 76 Raiders being 8th is as bad if not worse than the 72 Fins being first. If not for Ben Dreith that team is one and done and lost to the ages. It took 25 years but FU the tuck rule was karmic justice.

Also the 99 Rams being higher than the 03 and especially 04 Patriots is a joke. You couldn't beat the 01 Patriots with essentially the same team, you barely beat a Titans team that was a Music City Miracle away from being one and done. They are so overrated.

Regarding the 07 Patriots eliminating all the things that had to go perfectly down the stretch for the Giants IE, Samuel dropping an easy INT, the Tyree catch, no in the grasp, no holding on the Giants OL including a choke hold, Dan Pees calling cover zero and putting a 5'9" corner on a 6'5" receiver........the thing everybody forgets about is that game changed when Stephen Neal went out. They had driven the field for a TD before he got hurt. Once he went down that totally changed the balance of power between the two lines. All it would have taken was one or two more sustained drives to wear out that Giant's DL and it's a totally different game.

If he doesn't get hurt there's no question the Patriots are #1 and then the list changes because the voters aren't compelled to put the 72 Fins #1. I think they easily drop out of the top 5 at that point.

I also think when comparing these teams you can't just look at dominance for that one season. You have to pit them against each other. For example the 46 defense was so effective because it took people by surprise. Yes they were dominant a few other years but never to that degree as the league caught up. I think any of the Pats 6 championship teams plus the 07 team beat the Bears minus perhaps 01 and 18. I also think the 84 and 89, 49ers, the 91 Redskins, the 92 or 93 Cowboys also beat them.

Using those other teams that I think would beat the Bears how would the Patriots 04 team do against them? I'm not sure if they would win or not but man those would be some epic games.

The worst part of the 76 Raiders being so high is that once they got the gift from Ben Dreith (their biggest fan) they ended up playing a Steelers team that lost both Franco Harris and Rocky Blier (the same day as the Dreith theft) and then faced a pathetic NFC team in the SB. That year would have been the Pats first SB win.

Alfonzo Dennard (I know he was on IR that year but I still miss him, he seemed like the man coverage version of Asante but could actually tackle. How/why did everything go downhill for him? Seriously, was he not an awesome #2 corner for at least a few years?).

I had the pleasure of watching Alfonzo Dennard in the Arena League a couple years ago. His disappearance from football was indeed pretty odd.

They lost in the playoffs, obviously, but the 2010 team should absolutely be on this list.

They lost in the playoffs, obviously, but the 2010 team should absolutely be on this list.
That teams SOS was insane. Check this out too

Highest Offensive DVOA Since Data was kept track of in 1986

1. 2007 Patriots 43.5%
2. 2010 Patriots 42.2%
3. 2002 Chiefs 35.4%
4. 1998 Broncos 34.5%
5. 2018 Chiefs 34.2%
6. 2011 Packers 33.8%
7. 2013 Broncos 33.7%
8. 2003 Chiefs 33.4%
9. 1992 49ers 33.1%
10. 2011 Saints 33.0%

Strong gap

Also the 1999 Rams are overrated as hell. They played 1 winning team in the regular season, and had the lowest SOS EVER recorded

That teams SOS was insane. Check this out too

Highest Offensive DVOA Since Data was kept track of in 1986

1. 2007 Patriots 43.5%
2. 2010 Patriots 42.2%
3. 2002 Chiefs 35.4%
4. 1998 Broncos 34.5%
5. 2018 Chiefs 34.2%
6. 2011 Packers 33.8%
7. 2013 Broncos 33.7%
8. 2003 Chiefs 33.4%
9. 1992 49ers 33.1%
10. 2011 Saints 33.0%

Strong gap

It was probably the second best Patriots team after 2007, and its playoff loss was almost more tragic in certain ways. 07 and 10 are pretty much the 1a and 1b of playoff loss gut punches, with 06 running third and 15 fourth. The other Giants and Eagles SB losses sucked but not as badly.

It was probably the second best Patriots team after 2007, and its playoff loss was almost more tragic in certain ways. 07 and 10 are pretty much the 1a and 1b of playoff loss gut punches, with 06 running third and 15 fourth. The other Giants and Eagles losses sucked but not as bad.
It really is amazing that teams like the 2001 and 2018 Patriots won but 2007 and 2010 didn’t... shows how weird the sport is I guess

Also the 1999 Rams are overrated as hell. They played 1 winning team in the regular season, and had the lowest SOS EVER recorded
They are there with the 1991 Skins. Dominated for a year but that's it.

At least the 85 Bears were bookended by teams in which went to the playoffs 5 straight years and 3 NFCCGs.

It really is amazing that teams like the 2001 and 2018 Patriots won but 2007 and 2010 didn’t... shows how weird the sport is I guess
2010 had a bad defense.

You don't lose to the Jets and make the list.

The fact that the mediocre 72 Dolphins finished #1 kinda spoils this poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots