PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zolak: Sources Say Brady Overthrowing Edelman was "100% on Edelman"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it was on Edelman in the game day thread and got **** for it. It was on Edelman.

I would be more inclined to take the word of Zolak, a former NFL quarterback, over that of someone who has never played a down of football.

I'm with you that I'd take Zolak over KG, but we really have no idea one way or the other, which is what the point was. The spread media consensus now seems to be that it was on Edelman, but I don't think we'll ever have determining proof aside from the single high safety. Could've very well been a mixture of both...that's been known to happen in this here game of football ;)

That Edelman deep ball, for me, is the difference between having a REAL awesome WR and just a talented guy that Tom Brady makes look like a Superstar. Brady makes Patriot receivers look so good that people tend to forget that they're NOT top caliber receivers, and Edelman blowing that route is a great example of the difference.

Supa, you're better than that. Who do you REALLY believe is inherently more credible on such matters -- Scott Zolak or Karen Guregian?

It seems that some here are using the excuse that since Zolak was a previous QB many moons ago, he somehow knows---yet he didn't bother to give any explanation whatsoever. He stated that a "source" told him. By that logic, he's no better in this scenario than Guregian. He's not giving football explanations, he's nothing more than another reporter using the old "source" mantra.

At least Bedard gave some football breakdown, explaining that the single high safety states that you continue running. Had Zolak come close to doing anything of the sort, I'd have never questioned him.

I mean from what I saw.. it looked like Edelman stopped running and flattened off. If he had kept running the corner/flag ball would have been right on him in stride over the corner and away from safety.

I really think Brady's deep accuracy issues are overblown. Guy misses one throw in the AFCCG and all of sudden he can't complete a deep or every deep incompletion is on him.

That Edelman deep ball, for me, is the difference between having a REAL awesome WR and just a talented guy that Tom Brady makes look like a Superstar. Brady makes Patriot receivers look so good that people tend to forget that they're NOT top caliber receivers, and Edelman blowing that route is a great example of the difference.

Yeah, I wonder how different Brady's deep ball struggles may look with a real receiver on the team every so often?

Edelman is an awesome athlete and deserves a tremendous amount of respect for making the transformation from college QB to pro WR, but the bottom line is that he's still learning and hasn't even been playing the role full-time all that long.

I'd still love to see a veteran, playmaking WR on the team before Brady hangs it up, if it's ever in the cards.

Yeah, I wonder how different Brady's deep ball struggles may look with a real receiver on the team every so often?

Edelman is an awesome athlete and deserves a tremendous amount of respect for making the transformation from college QB to pro WR, but the bottom line is that he's still learning and hasn't even been playing the role full-time all that long.

I'd still love to see a veteran, playmaking WR on the team before Brady hangs it up, if it's ever in the cards.

We don't get stuff like that anymore.

Maybe Rutgers will produce the next Calvin Johnson.

Otherwise Belichick likes us to have JAGs for some reason

I mean from what I saw.. it looked like Edelman stopped running and flattened off. If he had kept running the corner/flag ball would have been right on him in stride over the corner and away from safety.

It seems like we don't get those throws timed as perfectly as we'd like in the crucial situations lately, as it's always a bit overthrown or the receiver slightly stops a 1/4 second short--or possibly a combination of both. I bet they continue working on it in practice though.

We don't get stuff like that anymore.

Maybe Rutgers will produce the next Calvin Johnson.

Otherwise Belichick likes us to have JAGs for some reason

I mean, it is difficult to have a franchise paid QB and a franchise paid WR on the team at the same time, at least in terms of making the playoffs on a consistent basis. We'll have to see how Denver handles it with Manning and Demarius Thomas in the off-season, but chances are that they'll be losing someone and get weaker somewhere.

Obviously, it's possible, but Belichick hasn't chosen to spend double digits on the position since he came close with the 9m dollars per year x 3 year contract he gave to Moss (aside from the one year franchise tag with Welker that was reportedly supposed to be a placeholder until they could agree to a deal around 7m dollars on a longer term deal).

I'd still think that even though it sounds ridiculous and I hate to even type it, a guy like Larry Fitzgerald could be considered much like Revis was. Of course, the stars, the sun, and the moon would all have to align in the same way that Revis coming here for a year did. Fitzgerald would have to agree to a restructured deal that was likely in the 9m dollar per year range, and if so, one would have to assume that Belichick would be intrigued--at least on some level. Those vets that you know will immediately pick up the playbook and show all the leadership and effort in the world are rare, and you have to think long and hard when the opportunity presents itself.

Of course, like I said, I normally don't even give in to these fantastical kinds of scenarios because it'd likely prevent us from retaining someone else (Solder, Jones, Hightower, Vereen, Gostokowski, etc) which may end up offsetting the entire process.

I mean, it is difficult to have a franchise paid QB and a franchise paid WR on the team at the same time, at least in terms of making the playoffs on a consistent basis. We'll have to see how Denver handles it with Manning and Demarius Thomas in the off-season, but chances are that they'll be losing someone and get weaker somewhere.

Obviously, it's possible, but Belichick hasn't chosen to spend double digits on the position since he came close with the 9m dollars per year x 3 year contract he gave to Moss (aside from the one year franchise tag with Welker that was reportedly supposed to be a placeholder until they could agree to a deal around 7m dollars on a longer term deal).

I'd still think that even though it sounds ridiculous and I hate to even type it, a guy like Larry Fitzgerald could be considered much like Revis was. Of course, the stars, the sun, and the moon would all have to align in the same way that Revis coming here for a year did. Fitzgerald would have to agree to a restructured deal that was likely in the 9m dollar per year range, and if so, one would have to assume that Belichick would be intrigued--at least on some level. Those vets that you know will immediately pick up the playbook and show all the leadership and effort in the world are rare, and you have to think long and hard when the opportunity presents itself.

Of course, like I said, I normally don't even give in to these fantastical kinds of scenarios because it'd likely prevent us from retaining someone else (Solder, Jones, Hightower, Vereen, Gostokowski, etc) which may end up offsetting the entire process.

Yeah, I agree, but at the same time I only give Belichick a hard time about it in jest.

I mean... If I'm blaming anyone for this offense, I'm blaming Hernandez.
I don't care about the Welker loss outside of the fact that he went to Denver, but the Hernandez loss was a huge blow to the offense we had in place. He was a huge piece and losing him really forced us out of that double TE attack Belichick was pioneering and destroying the league with.

Then with Gronk getting injured on top of it, it was just a bad year.

I really think this Miami loss wouldn't have been half as bad if we didn't get dumped on so hard by bad fortune last year.

The media was unfairly trashing us, we were getting troll articles about Brady no longer being a top 5 quarterback, and then in week 1 of the 2014 season, we get a performance that makes all of that trash, even if momentarily, look legitimate.

Just not what we were looking forward to.

If we drop one to the Vikes this place is gonna' get real miserable and the Red Sox fan hatchetmen will be out in full force

I don't believe that can't find cap room B$. Solder and Hightower won't cost much. Solder has not established himself for a big contract and bus very replaceable. High tower is a liability at LB because he is slow and isn't explosive enough for edge rusher. All he is good for is edge setter which is really an unwanted player in a throwing league. Why would they even resign him. Bill is scrambling to find a LB off the street decent in coverage. Jones may cost but at this point no more than Bennett did. He hasnt become elite yet. If Vereen stays healthy and has breakout he could cost but so far a part time player. Amendola,Wilfork,Hernandez, Lafell will be off the books.

If Seattle can bring free agents in and then resign 3 all pro members in secondary and resign the QB there will be no problem retaining the talent here that's actually worth retaining. Not being rude but why would they retain High tower. Bradys cap $$ is lot less next year as well.

Amendola,Wilfork,Hernandez, Lafell will be off the books.
We have no idea who will stay and who will leave, but the same principles are applied in every single year. The salary cap is given great consideration, as it should.

Not being rude but why would they retain High tower.

The point is that 1) we have important free agents of our own coming up and 2) Belichick doesn't typically pay for higher priced WRs

Bradys cap $$ is lot less next year as well.

Yeah, it goes all the way from 14.8 down to 13. Not quite the savings that you envisioned, is it?

Last edited:
Jones may cost but at this point no more than Bennett did.

Michael Bennett was given guarantees over 20 million dollars in the past 2 years, along with a total haul of 34 million dollars over 5 yrs.

That's not exactly pocket change.

To take it one step further, if you choose to downplay all of the players such as Ridley, Vereen, Gostkowski, etc---you can immediately jump to the situations of Devin McCourty and Darrelle Revis, both of whom will be paid in the top 3 at their positions, and both of whom will cost mega-millions to retain.

All of the other players' and their moderate contracts will certainly add up. I'm not claiming that we're in a bad situation, only that it will be somewhat difficult to try and pay an outsider double digit millions; particularly at a position where Belichick doesn't typically like to pay (WR).

Well, we'll have to see how Dobson and Thompkins perform. Maybe we already addressed the situation in the draft.... Maybe....

Mighty kind of you to let me down into ignorance so gently, thank you.

Friend, the stats I noted remain an outlier for now because there have been no further Brady performances to determine if they are the beginning of a trend.

Friend, this is not what you said in your original post. You specifically said that such extreme outliers are most commonly accompanied by the beginning of trend in the direction of the gross irregularity.

Which is simply not true. Can it be the beginning of a Trend ? Sure. But there is no way to say that an outlier is indicative of anything.

And when the "outlier" is such an extreme example - no other QB in 8 years, covering thousands of games featuring dozens of awful QB's, threw deep as poorly as Brady did Sunday - then it deserves notice, not outright disregard because of its strangeness.

Honestly, who gives a crap whether any QB in the last 8 years had a stat line like that. Sentences like that are meaningless if not put into the right context. As user Brady6 noted: 11 of the 16 deep attempts last Sunday were either throws at the end of the second quarter into the endzone (LaFell Q2 0:19, Thompkins Q2 0:15) or throws when we were behind (2 scores) and Brady was trying to bring a team back with around 3 minutes remaining.

If those 16 deep throw misses would have been more evenly distributed throughout the game I would agree that deep accuracy might be an issue worth discussing. But given situation (e.g. score, field position and time left) he had to throw deep, no matter if someone was really available or how low percentage a throw was.

There are certainly flaws that we can discuss in Brady's game on Sunday, he definitely wasn't better than anyone else and failed to elevate the team over a division opponent but please lets have an informed discussion and not just reciting of stats.

Last edited:
So Bedard agrees it was on Edelman?

Spin away chicken littles

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call