PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zolak: Sources Say Brady Overthrowing Edelman was "100% on Edelman"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Since it was such a discussed play to pointing the inefficiencies of Brady on the deep ball, I will pass along what Zolak said on 98.5. He said his sources with the team the overthrow of Edelman deep was "100% on Edelman" and that Edelman ran the wrong route.

Maybe the problem is the offense is too complicated; Does having hot routes on most plays result in a net positive?

You're talking about the same offense that was, for the most part, dominating the league from 2007-2012. There's nothing wrong with the system. Further, WR's run wrong routes all the time in even the most simple of offenses.

Since it was such a discussed play to pointing the inefficiencies of Brady on the deep ball, I will pass along what Zolak said on 98.5. He said his sources with the team the overthrow of Edelman deep was "100% on Edelman" and that Edelman ran the wrong route.
And the other 13 misses on passes over 15 yds? Teflon Tom

I thought it was obvious that there was an issue with the route on this pass.

Last time I post the Brady reaction gif, I promise.. http://gfycat.com/AgedWigglyChuckwalla

This is not a "I ****ed up and overthrew him" reaction.. but a person who placed the ball exactly where he wanted it to be only to see his receiver not being there..

Tell Zolak I said - who cares. It was one play and likely would not have changed the outcome.

It was pretty clearly miscategorized as an overthrow from the moment it happened, IMO. Regardless of whose fault it was, the issue was that someone got the route wrong: if Edelman hadn't stopped where he did, the pass would've hit him in stride.

It is interesting to have it confirmed that it was on Edelman and not Brady, though. That's what I would've guessed, although it's typically impossible to know unless someone who knows exactly what they're looking for confirms it.

And the other 13 misses on passes over 15 yds? Teflon Tom

Hard to blame them all on him. I was at the game and from the second quarter to the fourth quarter, I counted only 4 drop backs where he was hit or sacked. Kind of hard to uncork a pretty and accurate deep ball when the putrid offensive line can't hold their blocks long enough to let a play develop down the field.

That said, and I have noted this in other threads, there were a few throws where Brady was given a clean pocket where he was just off. It will be interesting to monitor, going forward, if this continues even if the pass protection is shored up.

Brady's body language suggested exactly that. No big deal. That is not the reason we lose the game.

i suppose i could be wrong......its not what my eyes were telling me.......but im not privy to the intricacies of the offense

im gonna reserve judgment until i hear what felger and his "sources" have to say

"sources within the team" - Brady trying to put some lipstick on his pig of a game....
Why can't you believe that Zolak might be telling the truth per reliable sources other than Brady? Tom misfired on a few passes, but his Oline was a sieve.

Why can't you believe that Zolak might be telling the truth per reliable sources other than Brady? Tom misfired on a few passes, but his Oline was a sieve.

I don't think people here understand the concept that, in order for a quarterback to be effective, he has to remain upright. You'd think they would have learned after watching the greatest offense in NFL history get crippled because Brady was getting pounded like Tori Lane in a 5-way.

sources? what sources? name these sources.

stop defending everything mistake Brady makes. He was terrible in the 2nd half even when he had time to throw.

I haven't seen anyone claim that Brady played well. What I've seen is people claiming that, behind that line, playing well was never a possibility.

Even when he had time to throw? Please point to the specific snaps in the second half where he had time to throw and failed to make a play. Spoiler: you'll find 1-2 max.

When they kept him upright, he was really good, and the Pats were on pace to drop 40 on the Dolphins. When the line collapsed, he didn't have a magic solution to that.

If there's a criticism of Brady here, it's that he isn't Andrew Luck or Russell Wilson. If you put him behind a crap line, he isn't going to escape the pocket and salvage something out of it. I dunno why anyone's acting like this is new information, though. He's a pocket passer, and pocket passers need a pocket. Peyton Manning's the exact same way, and this has been true for both of them for their entire careers.

It was pretty clearly miscategorized as an overthrow from the moment it happened, IMO. Regardless of whose fault it was, the issue was that someone got the route wrong: if Edelman hadn't stopped where he did, the pass would've hit him in stride.

It is interesting to have it confirmed that it was on Edelman and not Brady, though. That's what I would've guessed, although it's typically impossible to know unless someone who knows exactly what they're looking for confirms it.

That's what I thought, but it ultimately wasn't all that important. That play didn't change the outcome of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes