PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zebras ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the non call when Favre picked up the official's flag and tossed it? Anyone else would get a technical.

Re: One play that p'd me off..

The official who was responsible probably had a big bet on the Vikings.

And the illegal contact in the end zone was not worthy.

This was generally a very, very poor jobs by the refs. There is little question that these refs will have some remidial training. The Welker non-call and the Favre non-call for picking up the flag should have been automatic.

What about the non call when Favre picked up the official's flag and tossed it? Anyone else would get a technical.

A Technical??? This isn't basketball. They'd have gotten either a delay of game penalty or an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Except that the D-linemen DID enter the neutral zone. That is why Vollmer moved.

And yes, there is a penalty that can be called. I forget what the exact wording is but I can remember that Vrabel was called for it a few times over his career as a Patriot.

It's a neutral zone infraction and is a 5 yard penalty

The funniest of all was Childress challenging Tates catch.

It seemed to me that he thought because Tate didnt retain possession like a sideline catch, that it wasnt a reception.

Im like, WTF is he challenging?

Watching that catch live, I thought that Tate dropped the ball when he went to his knees. Obvioulsy that is what the Vikings guys in the booth thought too. Once you see the replay it was clearly a catch. But you have such little time, as a HC you really have to rely on your guys in the booth for those calls, and if they are wrong, the coach looks like an idiot.

The Welker PI was just ridiculous, a blown call. The illegal contact on the Favre hit was also pathetic. I guess the refs are just pre-programmed to throw a flag if Favre/Manning throws and incompletion.........................

Last edited:
It's a neutral zone infraction and is a 5 yard penalty

Not what Vrabel got flagged for. It was something like "an illegal football movement" or something.. It always left me scratching my head.

The illegal contact on the Favre hit was also pathetic. I guess the refs are just pre-programmed to throw a flag if Favre/Manning throws and incompletion.........................

The call on TBC was legit. TBC got Favre's facemask.

The roughing the passer on Guyton was pathetic.

You forgot about the one where Jerod Mayo and Adrian Peterson met at the goal line and Mayo STOPPED him short. The football did NOT cross the line at all! BB even challenged it, and yet it wasn't overturned.

I was frustrated about that too, but it was 2nd down and they have AP as their RB. Chances are they would go for it on fourth down so they probably would have gotten it anyway.

It seems to be that officiating is just terrible all the way around this year. So many missed calls. The Welker PI non-call was absolutely blatant. The Peterson never crossed the line on the touchdown. I think thats the 4th call I've seen this year where the refs have assumed the ball was over the line and signaled a touchdown. They really need to do a better job on the goal line.

Of course, if you watched the steelers-saints game, there were a ton of missed calls in that one to. On Brees fumble, the CB hit him in the head on a helmet to helmet hit, and later on, a saints player had both feed out of bounds when a steelers player came over and hit him late. Brutal officiating all day.

Except that the D-linemen DID enter the neutral zone. That is why Vollmer moved.

And yes, there is a penalty that can be called. I forget what the exact wording is but I can remember that Vrabel was called for it a few times over his career as a Patriot.

Think it's called "Encroachment"...

09000d5d81bc49dd_gallery_600.jpg

Welker was PUMPED!!!

I think the call on Guyton was mostly a number mix up cause he didn't do anything but TBC did hit the mask so i think they jsut mixed up 59 and 95 which is easy to do.

The Non PI was probably one of the worst non calls of the year so far.

I really do think that the AP TD was just a make up call for missing it the first time around and that if it was even remotely close to a TD they were going to give it to him.

On thing that bugged me was the Mayo non fumble recovery. the booth guys said that even if they challenged it thay could give possetion to the pats. I get that might be the rule but that is stupid all they ahd to do was say he has posstion then fumbled it recovered by the patriots it has jsut bugged me

Hey, Great W, but anyone else not happy with a few calls last night ? I saw a few weird non calls, at critical times in the game, biggest one being the PI on Welker which was not given in the 4th Q. Even Troy Aikmen laughed and coudnt believe it wasn't thrown. Another missed call was that fumble, which Mayo recovered, tv clearly showed the Reciever caught the ball turned took about two steps and was hit before he fumbled. That play BB wanted to throw the red flag on, but reliazed he coudnt challenge and than called timeout. Just wanted your opinions even though we won which sometimes hides the poor refereeing. Great win against a very good team. Take care all. Abdul

I thought the officiating was horrific.....so many non-calls against Minn that it was ridiculous..

The PI penelty bothers me because it is a spot foul but if they make it a 15 yarder then players might just might do it on purpose to avoid a 40-50 yard play so they'd need 2 of them which would lead to judgement calls which hte NFL hate cause that would mean hiring Ref that might accully use there minds and then they's have to pay them well to avoid corruption

the officiating was shameful.

Yet another game where the refs do everything they can to have the Vikings win.

I really do think that the AP TD was just a make up call for missing it the first time around and that if it was even remotely close to a TD they were going to give it to him.

/agree 10char

Last edited:
...On thing that bugged me was the Mayo non fumble recovery. the booth guys said that even if they challenged it thay could give possetion to the pats. I get that might be the rule but that is stupid all they ahd to do was say he has posstion then fumbled it recovered by the patriots it has jsut bugged me

Was that the play where a receiver caught it and turned, then fumbled while going down, and it was ruled incomplete?

If so, I think the problem was that the whistle was blown. Blowing the whistle may have been a mistake, but once that's done, there's no real option w/regard to possession of the ball, unfortunately.

---------

btw, re. the false start call on Vollmer I mentioned earlier, yes, D-linemen can jump without getting called, but if my understanding of the rules are correct, they are supposed to be called if (i) the ball is snapped while they're across the line, (ii) they make contact with any defensive player, (iii) their motion then leads to an offensive player moving or (iv) their jump is going to permit them an unabated route to the QB. (the third is what would have been applicable yesterday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes