* Ye Official 2012 Mock Draft Thread!! *

Assuming they keep all their picks:

27. Fletcher Cox, DL, Mississippi State
32. Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers
49. Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia
64. Markelle Martin, FS, Oklahoma State
96. Mike Brewster, C, Ohio State
128. Emmanuel Acho, OLB, Texas

If we draft any WR in this draft, I want it to be this guy. Feels like a Patriot to me. Smart, great blocker, puts 110% into his game. I reckon there's a lot of untapped potential there. He's moved up to no4 on my list of players I want to draft:

1. Dont'a Hightower
2. Mark Barron
3. Jamell Fleming
4. Mohamed Sanu.

A lot of the draftniks have the Jets and the Ravens very interested in Baron.

They also had the Steelers going after Hightower,but with the Steelers early exit, it looks like Pittsburgh has other options available to them.

Brockers of LSU entering the draft was a complete surprise and I expect him to skyrocket up draft boards, which should allow for Cox to fall to us at #27.

We could then come back at #32 and take Hightower. Although Ingram of SC is another option.

Plan C BB could trade #32 and fall back into the early second round. Either early in the second round or at #48, Minnifield should be available.

A lot of the draftniks have the Jets and the Ravens very interested in Baron.

They also had the Steelers going after Hightower,but with the Steelers early exit, it looks like Pittsburgh has other options available to them.

Brockers of LSU entering the draft was a complete surprise and I expect him to skyrocket up draft boards, which should allow for Cox to fall to us at #27.

We could then come back at #32 and take Hightower. Although Ingram of SC is another option.

Plan C BB could trade #32 and fall back into the early second round. Either early in the second round or at #48, Minnifield should be available.

I could see the Jets taking Baron. It certainly makes sense for them. Their pass rush is also dismal so they could go in that direction as well.

Fletcher Cox I could see a Patriot to solidify the line. I'd be happy with Ingram too.

Luke warm on Hightower at the pro level. Atleast at OLB anyway. I just don't think he has the speed to seal the outside at the pro level.

Minnifield is probably my favorite safe pick at around when we will pick, although myself I think Janoris Jenkins is the most talented if he is there. I'd break him down in interviews upside down and sideways to see if he has matured since all his incidents.

CBSsports rankings have been updated. Of note:

Andre Branch is now ranked #34 (looks like a first rounder would be needed for him)

Alshon Jeffery down to #45

Josh Chapman up with a bullet to #49

Vontaze Burfict now at #87 (talk about falling stock).

Strictly sticking to these rankings and without too much thought I'd go:

1A Dont'a Hightower
1B Mohamed Sanu
2A Josh Chapman
2B Ben Jones
3 Aaron Henry (S, Wisconsin)
4 Trade up 8 spots for Jamell Fleming (couldn't find any better pick so had to cheat slightly)

BPA all the way in the first 2 rounds.

Walt's latest draft looks good for us, but i agree that Brookers will go higher than No.27OVR.

With the first 4 picks, I would like us to prioritise the defence. I would like a DE/DT (Brookers I hope!!) and a DE/OLB (Ingram). I would like a CB at the pick 2a and BPA at 2b (a centre? Brewster?). No preference in round 3, and i like the punt on Donte Paige-Moss in round 4. He could be a star in the NFL and is great value.

I am not fussed about WR - i suspect we will end up with Brandon Lloyd.

Last edited:

Andre Branch is now ranked #34 (looks like a first rounder would be needed for him)

1A Dont'a Hightower
1B Mohamed Sanu
2A Josh Chapman
2B Ben Jones
4 Trade up 8 spots for Jamell Fleming (couldn't find any better pick so had to cheat slightly)

Just an aside. Josh Chapman just had surgery to fix a torn ACL and meniscus. He is a longshot to be ready by week 9 of the 2012 season, though he DID play a good portion of the year with it torn..

Just an aside. Josh Chapman just had surgery to fix a torn ACL and meniscus. He is a longshot to be ready by week 9 of the 2012 season, though he DID play a good portion of the year with it torn..

Understand that, and to be honest, mid-second is a little high for someone unlikely to be a starter, but wouldn't you want a guy on the team who can play to that level with a torn ACL?

This is a reason I'm such a fan of the Alabama guys - they're very professional in their approach, extremely well coached, are assignment dedicated rather than talented freelancers (which makes them good fits for the Pats) and on top of that are talented anyway. Alabama's defense looks to be the perfect farm system for the Pats. It's just a shame other teams get to dip into it too.

Walter from WalterFootball.com is out with his new one.
2012 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com

His Pats picks are:

27. DE/OLB- Whitney Mercilus- Illinois
32. CB- Alfonzo Dennard- Nebraska
48. DT- Jerel Worthy- Michigan State
64. WR- Dwight Jones- UNC
95. C- Mike Brewster- Ohio State
127. DE/OLB- Donte Paige-Moss- UNC

I'm not really a fan of Mercilus, especially in the first round. I think he is more of a 2nd round prospect as a 4-3 DE. I would have much prefered Nick Perry from USC who went the pick after to GB at 28. Or Vinny Curry at 48 who ended up going 54.

I am also not a huge fan of Alfonzo Dennard, who I think is a little overrated. I think Janoris Jenkins is a better CB (he went to Dal at 45), or I would have waited until later in the draft.

I like Worthy as a value pick in the 2nd IF they stick with a 43 defence. In the 3-4 I just don't see him as a fit.

I posted in the Senior Bowl thread about Dwight Jones and my huge concern over his small hands (only 9 inches) and inconsistency catching the ball. I think there are much better WR's avaiable and much better value later on.

Mike Brewsters stock seems to be plummeting and I don't see it recovering any time soon. I think he could even fall beyond the 5th round because of his disapointing season and struggles so far at the Senior Bowl. I wouldn't be against drafting him, but the 3rd seems a little high for him at the moment.

I feel the same way about DPM. I'm not against taking him (I had him in my last mock draft) but I think it is probably a round early.

Some other interesting picks:

Zach Brown at 33. If he is still there at 32 I would strongly consider him, even with a move back to the 3-4 because he is just a really talented playmaker. I think we could do a lot of things with him and he could be very succesful here.

Mohamed Sanu at 37. He is another guy I would strongly consider at 32. I think he is a 1st round WR and I don't see him getting past Houston at 26. I feel Sanu at 32 is much better value than Jones at 64.

And manxman's guy Jamell Fleming all the way at 122. This simply won't happen, he is far too good a player to fall this far and I think Walter is just late jumping on the bandwagon. He's potentially a late 1st/2nd round type player.

1A Dont'a Hightower

578767687.jpg

1B Mohamed Sanu

529056369.jpg

2A Josh Chapman

895970289.jpg

2B Ben Jones

115540459.jpg

301118135.JPG

4 Trade up 8 spots for Jamell Fleming

923413673.jpg

(couldn't find any better pick so had to cheat slightly)

Nice work as allways, Brother Manx. :cool:

Walter from WalterFootball.com is out with his new one.
2012 NFL Mock Draft - WalterFootball.com

His Pats picks are:

27. DE/OLB- Whitney Mercilus- Illinois
32. CB- Alfonzo Dennard- Nebraska
48. DT- Jerel Worthy- Michigan State
64. WR- Dwight Jones- UNC
95. C- Mike Brewster- Ohio State
127. DE/OLB- Donte Paige-Moss- UNC

Mercilus I could live with. Certainly not my favorite option there. But I could live with it.

I really don't like Dennard. Besides, would we really give up on Dowling so soon? I'm on record that I really hated his pick @ 33. But man, I would be bummed if we didn't even give Dowling another year to show something one way or the other.

Jerel Worthy @ 48? Yeah right. I doubt he lasts till 27.

Dwight Jones I could live with. Not in my top 4 or 5 WRs. But I could live with it.

If Brewster lasted that long that pick would make me pretty happy. But I think he's a top-50 pick and I don't want any OC that high.

I'm not a huge fan of Paige-Moss. He might have decent measurables, but on the field he's pretty ordinary. That said, @ 127 I wouldn't be throwing stuff at my TV if I heard his name.

(Not a critique of you Wilfork. Just a comment directed at Walterfootball's thinking)

Last edited:
Mercilus I could live with. Certainly not my favorite option there. But I could live with it.

I really don't like Dennard. Besides, would we really give up on Dowling so soon? I'm on record that I really hated his pick @ 33. But man, I would be bummed if we didn't even give Dowling another year to show something one way or the other.

It's a given, pretty much, that the Pats need to add someone at Cornerback and/or Safety. How is taking Dennard "giving up on" Dowling? Could you explain this better?

Jerel Worthy @ 48? Yeah right. I doubt he lasts till 27.

Dwight Jones I could live with. Not in my top 4 or 5 WRs. But I could live with it.

If Brewster lasted that long that pick would make me pretty happy. But I think he's a top-50 pick and I don't want any OC that high.

I'm not a huge fan of Paige-Moss. He might have decent measurables, but on the field he's pretty ordinary. That said, @ 127 I wouldn't be throwing stuff at my TV if I heard his name.

(Not a critique of you Wilfork. Just a comment directed at Walterfootball's thinking)

You do realize that the Pats don't have a center under contract other than Nick McDonald beyond this year, yes? Connolly and Koppen are UFA and Wendell is an RFA.

As was mentioned by others, Brewster's isn't a top 50 pick. He didn't have a great year and he's not been doing great at the Senior Bowl practices. Brewster is rated the 3rd best center right now, behind Konz and Jones. I could easily see him lasting up the late 3rd round.

Last edited:
There are many players that i like in this draft but my choices are changing when i look really hard at our roster. Given enough time, BB has shown the ability to find undrafted corners(randall gay, arrington, sterling) and get them to play as well or better than highly drafted ones(wheatley, butler, wilhite,etc) so I am against picking a corner high in this particular draft.

We could use upgrades at multiple positions but in my opinion wr and dt are our major needs. We often live and die with our offense and our wideouts except for welker are just poor. I sometimes think they are the worst we ever had. Ignore welker and i think 06 corp was overall better. Ocho, branch, edelman, underwood, vs. caldwell, brown, gaffney,etc. We can easily do better.

Now on to dt. Yes we could always use a pass rusher but defending the run is more important. Kyle love is active and i like him but I believe we can find a better run defender and there is no reason why wilfork is even coming close to 60 plus snaps a game. I've never seen someone as big as wilfork worked so hard. For comparison, fat albert and shaun rogers play two snaps and then come out due to exhaustion. If there aren't people talented enough on the roster to significantly bring down his snaps then we need get some in the draft.

There are many players that i like in this draft but my choices are changing when i look really hard at our roster. Given enough time, BB has shown the ability to find undrafted corners(randall gay, arrington, sterling) and get them to play as well or better than highly drafted ones(wheatley, butler, wilhite,etc) so I am against picking a corner high in this particular draft.

We could use upgrades at multiple positions but in my opinion wr and dt are our major needs. We often live and die with our offense and our wideouts except for welker are just poor. I sometimes think they are the worst we ever had. Ignore welker and i think 06 corp was overall better. Ocho, branch, edelman, underwood, vs. caldwell, brown, gaffney,etc. We can easily do better.

Now on to dt. Yes we could always use a pass rusher but defending the run is more important. Kyle love is active and i like him but I believe we can find a better run defender and there is no reason why wilfork is even coming close to 60 plus snaps a game. I've never seen someone as big as wilfork worked so hard. For comparison, fat albert and shaun rogers play two snaps and then come out due to exhaustion. If there aren't people talented enough on the roster to significantly bring down his snaps then we need get some in the draft.

Wait a minute. You're complaining because a 1st round NT is playing a majority of the defensive snaps? Sorry, but I think it's awesome that Wilfork has increased his stamina to the point where he can play 60+ snaps a game. It makes it that much harder for offenses.

Also, you said DT. Are you talking about in the 4-3? A set that the Pats used because of the injuries and lack of personnel to run the 3-4? The same 3-4 they are running now because Brace and Deaderick are back and healthy?

I agree that the Pats need some defensive line help. But I believe it because they are likely to lose Wright to retirement (too many concussions) and Pryor can't seem to stay healthy. And when those two are gone, the Pats don't really have a pass-rushing DT for the Nickle.

I think that the Pats will be looking for a 3-4 DE who can play RDE with Wilfork on the Nose and Deaderick as the LDE.

I also think that the Pats will be looking for someone who can line up as a DT in their nickel package (2-4-5) who can rush the Passer. Someone like Pryor, but with less health concerns.

It's a given, pretty much, that the Pats need to add someone at Cornerback and/or Safety. How is taking Dennard "giving up on" Dowling? Could you explain this better?

We have Arrington who had 7 picks this year. McCourty who was a 1st rounder, and who we hope returns to form. And Dowling, who we hope can get and stay healthy. Those are hopefully our starters on either side and our Nickle for next year. If we pick another CB early BB is saying either one of those three mentioned above is expected to ride the pine or is on his way out (most likely Dowling because he's less proven). Or the rookie we take early is fully expected to ride the pine. That would be like when Bobby Grier took Chris Canty in the 1st (the CB from Kansas ST., not the DL for NYG) "to be a Nickle".

You do realize that the Pats don't have a center under contract other than Nick McDonald beyond this year, yes? Connolly and Koppen are UFA and Wendell is an RFA.

As was mentioned by others, Brewster's isn't a top 50 pick. He didn't have a great year and he's not been doing great at the Senior Bowl practices. Brewster is rated the 3rd best center right now, behind Konz and Jones. I could easily see him lasting up the late 3rd round.

Yes, I do realize we need a future Center badly. But I'm sure you realize we have Dante Scarnecchia as our O-line coach. He turned a 5th round rookie (Koppen) into the starting OC for the Rams SB and the other two a couple years later. Plus this year turned a previous UDFA (Connolly) into a solid starter when Koppen went down, turned another previous UDFA (Wendell) into a solid starter when Connolly went down and a rookie UDFA from the practice squad (McDonald) into a competent starter when Koppen, Connolly and Wendell were all unavailable. Dante has like a PhD in turning sows ears into silk purses. :D

Just because the need is great at a position doesn't mean we should overspend or overdraft.

I think that the Pats will be looking for a 3-4 DE who can play RDE with Wilfork on the Nose and Deaderick as the LDE.

This is one thing I'm unclear on. What's the essential difference between a RDE and LDE in a 3-4. same as 4-3, run stopper one side, better pass rusher on the other?

I also think that the Pats will be looking for someone who can line up as a DT in their nickel package (2-4-5) who can rush the Passer. Someone like Pryor, but with less health concerns.

Dajohn Harris is my favourite for that role.

DaBruinz I am extremely impressed by wilforks ability and stamina, but I am just thinking long term. Like can he keep this up 2-3 years from now if we don't get someone capable of spelling him. It doesnt matter if we are in a 3-4 or 4-3 at this point because it seems that he almost never comes out of the game. Once again Im just thinking longterm. We have struggled to replace seymour just imagine if vince is ever hurt for an extended time. Like when we are in a traditional 3-4 i dont think kyle love is overly effective as a nt and gerrad warren is getting up there in age. And since the draft is a long ways from now im just trying to think of scenarios that may be in bb's head once it arrives.

We have Arrington who had 7 picks this year. McCourty who was a 1st rounder, and who we hope returns to form. And Dowling, who we hope can get and stay healthy. Those are hopefully our starters on either side and our Nickle for next year. If we pick another CB early BB is saying either one of those three mentioned above is expected to ride the pine or is on his way out (most likely Dowling because he's less proven). Or the rookie we take early is fully expected to ride the pine. That would be like when Bobby Grier took Chris Canty in the 1st (the CB from Kansas ST., not the DL for NYG) "to be a Nickle".

Whenever I see Arrington, he's always a yard or two behind his receiver. I think he's easily replaceable. Dowling hasn't had a full season in two to three years. McCourty has had a big down year (hopefully the exception rather than the rule). I don't see anything wrong in bringing in another CB to compete with those three. And of course there's always the option of converting someone to safety. I don't think anyone can watch our secondary and think that we're set at the position.

I don't think anyone can watch our secondary and think that we're set at the position.

I think one very good FS (in either the draft or free agency) and the whole unit would make an amazing turnaround for the better. This year we've had too many mis-communications, too much turnover at FS and too often players trying to do their job plus trying to cover for other guys.

So you're relying on hope and a cornerback who is just decent, excels in the slot, and whose stats are likely to regress severely. You're right we don't need a cornerback. We need two!!!

Yes, I do realize we need a future Center badly. But I'm sure you realize we have Dante Scarnecchia as our O-line coach. He turned a 5th round rookie (Koppen) into the starting OC for the Rams SB and the other two a couple years later. Plus this year turned a previous UDFA (Connolly) into a solid starter when Koppen went down, turned another previous UDFA (Wendell) into a solid starter when Connolly went down and a rookie UDFA from the practice squad (McDonald) into a competent starter when Koppen, Connolly and Wendell were all unavailable. Dante has like a PhD in turning sows ears into silk purses. :D

Just because the need is great at a position doesn't mean we should overspend or overdraft.

This isn't a reason not to draft one, this is a reason to draft one! If Dante can scrubs into all-stars, imagine what he can do with Brewster!

DaBruinz;2927874You do realize that the Pats don't have a center under contract other than Nick McDonald beyond this year said:
Nope. Plus I believe Ohrnberger (not ideal but can play center) is signed through 2012.

That being said, having McDonald, Wendell and Ohrnberger under contract (plus anyone they sign for camp) gives the Pats a reasonable backup plan if FA and the draft don't fall the way they want at the center position. I fully expect Koppen/Connolly to come back on a short deal and/or a relatively high pick used on a center. Having Brady with an elite OL and 3 elite receivers (Welker will certainly be back) keeps the championship window wide open for the near future.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back