PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Official 2012 Mock Draft Thread!! *

So you're relying on hope and a cornerback who is just decent, excels in the slot, and whose stats are likely to regress severely. You're right we don't need a cornerback. We need two!!!

Well, if we draft a CB high aren't we relying on hope that he stays healthier than Dowling, gets as many picks as Arrington and has a rookie year like McCourty? Drafting or relying on the guys you have both involve hope. But relying on the guys you have means you can use the pick at a position where you know the guys you have won't cut it.

This isn't a reason not to draft one, this is a reason to draft one! If Dante can scrubs into all-stars, imagine what he can do with Brewster!

With interior OL I feel like we hit up against the point of diminishing returns much earlier. I'd love to have all-pros everywhere. I'm sure we all would. But it's impossible. There aren't that many high draft picks to use, or cap space to pay them. Sometime we have to take an average guy our position coach can coach up at a lower profile position so we can afford (draft or money-wise) a stud at a more difficult to fill position. If Brewster fell to our 4th I'd be all over him and be thrilled about it. Even 3rd would be cool. But no higher. And unfortunatily I don't think he will last till then.

I'd rather have a stud DE, OLB, FS or WR and settle for a merely decent OC. Than a stud OC and settle for merely decent guy at the other position.

Official Mock #2

The numbers in brackets are where they rate on CBSsport's prospect rankings here: 2012 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Hoyer for a high third and sixth (Stolen from Grid). Cleveland, Jacksonville, and Washington should be interested, so I’ll call it pick #72 and #168.

Jermaine Cunningham for a sixth rounder (Stolen form Wilfork#75)

1a. Trade up (For a first and a third) Michael Brockers [13]
Arguably the best 5 tech end in the draft. Certainly has the highest ceiling, but falls due to rawness and inexperience. Got to move up and get him. I don’t think he’s a top 10 draft pick, but top 15 is borderline for me. Cox is the backup plan.

1b. Pick #32 Dont’a Hightower [30]
Strong, long, and has the versatility to play anywhere. He does it all. I think he plays inside until he’s ready to take over outside.

2a. Pick #48 (Via Raiders) Chase Minnifield [47]
Minnifield is one of my favorite corners in the draft. He’s top 4. I like him more than Dennard and Gilmore, so he has incredible value at 48. He’s excellent in zone coverage and underrated in man. Good size and speed with great ball skills. He’s like a bigger version of Asante Samuel.

2b. Trade down, Pick #64 for a third and fourth

3a. Trade down, Pick #72 (Hoyer) for a later third and a fourth

3b. (Traded for #64) Jamell Fleming [120]
Great cover corner. He’s long through the arms and deceptively physical. He’s quick, mentally and physically, but lacks top end speed. He’s going to need to keep receivers in front of him and use the sidelines.

3c. (Traded for #72) Mike Brewster [105]
Stud on a discount. Ideal size for a center. I think all the best centers are 6’4” +300. His weaknesses are technique and footwork, things I think Dante can make his strengths. I think he has the highest ceiling of all center prospects even if he’s not the best right now.

Notice I have Fleming before Brewster even though Brewster is rated higher. It's like that to reflect how I think they will flip positions post Senior Bowl.

4a. (Traded for #64) Janzen Jackson [172]
Stud on a discount. First round talent. Total ball hawk, with excellent tools. I haven’t seen him play for McNeese State, but I hope he improved his tackling. He tackled like Meriweather when he was at Tennessee. Incredible at defending the pass.

4b. (Traded for #72) Akiem Hicks [177]
Stud on exchange rate. Monster DE prospect from Regina University in Canada. He’s 6045, 325 lbs with an insane 84 inch wingspan. That’s 7 feet! Often loses the leverage game, but will excel at 3-4 end.

4c. Russell Wilson [186]
This guy is ++ across the board, everywhere except for his height. It’s just height. He doesn’t have the same problems that come with other short quarterbacks. Vision and arm strength are plus for him. He has 10 inch hands and 31.25 inch arms! That’s bigger and longer than Weeden’s, who is 4 inches taller! Plus intangibles, plus decision making, plus release, plus arm strength, plus athleticism, and plus accuracy. If he were an inch and a half taller, he’d be a top 10 pick.

5. Trade up (Cunningham 6th and Philly 7th for a 5th) Ryan Broyles [178]
Stud on a discount. Seems like his stock is dropping due all the players with stocks rising. There is nothing great about his game, but everything is good. He’s the jack of all trades. Scratch that, his hands are like a black hole for footballs and his awareness is like he has eyes in back of his head. Professional at the bubble screen.

6. (Hoyer) Chris Rainey [194]
My substitute for Jeff Demps. He is impressing scouts at the senior bowl practice, and offers upside we don’t have in the backfield. Can help in the return game.

UFA.
[306] Cory Harkey: Great blocking TE, adds versatility.
[338] Greg Childs: Good size and speed, Arkansas product and should pick up the offense.
[346] Josh Oglesby: Stolen from Wilfork#75 (again)
[347] Delano Howell: Strong, fundamental safety out of Stanford. Good play recognition, and a sneaky blitzer. He’s very stiff though.
[430] Patrick Edwards: Quick shifty slot receiver, high effort. Can help in the return game.
[Unlisted] Michael Hayes: Quick, athletic, and valuable pass catching running back out of Houston.

Last edited:
Official Mock #2

The numbers in brackets are where they rate on CBSsport's prospect rankings here: 2012 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Hoyer for a high third and sixth (Stolen from Grid). Cleveland, Jacksonville, and Washington should be interested, so I’ll call it pick #72 and #168.

Arguably the best 5 tech end in the draft. Certainly has the highest ceiling, but falls due to rawness and inexperience. Got to move up and get him. I don’t think he’s a top 10 draft pick, but top 15 is borderline for me. Cox is the backup plan.

1b. Pick #32 Don’t’a Hightower [30]
Strong, long, and has the versatility to play anywhere. He does it all. I think he plays inside until he’s ready to take over outside.

Minnifield is one of my favorite corners in the draft. He’s top 4. I like him more than Dennard and Gilmore, so he has incredible value at 48. He’s excellent in zone coverage and underrated in man. Good size and speed with great ball skills. He’s like a bigger version of Asante Samuel.

Great cover corner. He’s long through the arms and deceptively physical. He’s quick, mentally and physically, but lacks top end speed. He’s going to need to keep receivers in front of him and use the sidelines.

Stud on a discount. Ideal size for a center. I think all the best centers are 6’4” +300. His weaknesses are technique and footwork, things I think Dante can make his strengths. I think he has the highest ceiling of all center prospects even if he’s not the best right now.

Notice I have Fleming before Brewster even though Brewster is rated higher. It's like that to reflect how I think they will flip positions post Senior Bowl.

Stud on a discount. First round talent. Total ball hawk, with excellent tools. I haven’t seen him play for McNeese State, but I hope he improved his tackling. He tackled like Meriweather when he was at Tennessee. Incredible at defending the pass.

Stud on exchange rate. Monster DE prospect from Regina University in Canada. He’s 6045, 325 lbs with an insane 84 inch wingspan. That’s 7 feet! Often loses the leverage game, but will excel at 3-4 end.

4c. Russell Wilson [186]
This guy is ++ across the board, everywhere except for his height. It’s just height. He doesn’t have the same problems that come with other short quarterbacks. Vision and arm strength are plus for him. He has 10 inch hands and 31.25 inch arms! That’s bigger and longer than Weeden’s, who is 4 inches taller! Plus intangibles, plus decision making, plus release, plus arm strength, plus athleticism, and plus accuracy. If he were an inch and a half taller, he’d be a top 10 pick.

Stud on a discount. Seems like his stock is dropping due all the players with stocks rising. There is nothing great about his game, but everything is good. He’s the jack of all trades. Scratch that, his hands are like a black hole for footballs and his awareness is like he has eyes in back of his head. Professional at the bubble screen.

My substitute for Jeff Demps. He is impressing scouts at the senior bowl practice, and offers upside we don’t have in the backfield. Can help in the return game.

UFA.
[338] Greg Childs: Good size and speed, Arkansas product and should pick up the offense.
[347] Delano Howell: Strong, fundamental safety out of Stanford. Good play recognition, and a sneaky blitzer. He’s very stiff though.
[430] Patrick Edwards: Quick shifty slot receiver, high effort. Can help in the return game.
[Unlisted] Michael Hayes: Quick, athletic, and valuable pass catching running back out of Houston.

I really like all the players you picked, my only problem is the value of some of the players (which is a criticism of CBS Sports not yourself). I don't think Hightower makes it to 32 (I think he probably goes mid 20's) and I don't see Jamell Fleming falling to the 3rd. I also think that Hicks is way too high. I love his potential and I would love to pick him, but I think he is still a 6th/7th round pick. I also think Russell Wilson is undervalued, and I think he is a lot better than the 186th best player in the draft.

My only other problem is the value of the trade up for Brockers. Using the trade value chart, to move up to 15, it would probably cost you 27, 64 and 95. If he fell I would love to move up a bit to grab him, but where I think he is going to go, I think it would cost a lot more than a 3rd to move up to get him.

Other than that, I love the players. I really like Minnifield, and I think he would fit well with his former teammate Ras-I. I also like the value of the Jackson and Broyles picks, and Rainey is FAST, so I think a 6th round pick for world class speed is worth a shot.

Official Mock #2

1b. Pick #32 Don’t’a Hightower [30]

4c. Russell Wilson [186]

UFA.

I have to love any draft with hightower and fleming in it, bravo!!

Having said that, not enamoured with Chase Minnifield (would prefer Gilmore or Brandon Boykin) and I just can't see BB interested in trading up for Michael Brockers. Sure he looks to be an ideal 5-tech potentially, but there's such limited game tape on him that I think BB would see the trade up as too much of a risk. I wouldn't mind betting the Pats have a late first or even more likely, a second round grade on him.

Chris Rainey would be a fun pick. He's claiming he'll run a 4.1 at the combine. If he does, I don't think he'll be there at #194.

Really good mock overall.

Love the draft, I like the continuity that Minnifield and Dowling already have, Chris Rainy is one of those players that would excel as a returner, gunner position, he seems to have soft hands and good presence in the screen game, he's not a run between the tackles kind of guys but he gives the team a spark and a added element on offense he's another guy that can hit a homerun with a crease but he will get killed by the Lewis and Willis kind of backers in the NFL so I see him as a third down back, mainly with screens which Mcdaniels does love so it could make sense, for a added homerun in the return game and his ability for screens, I'd take him in the fourth, or fifth round range, It be worth it just to hear him seal a game on a return and hear something like well if it looked sunny for the jets early it just got Rainy.

I have to love any draft with hightower and fleming in it, bravo!!

Having said that, not enamoured with Chase Minnifield (would prefer Gilmore or Brandon Boykin) and I just can't see BB interested in trading up for Michael Brockers. Sure he looks to be an ideal 5-tech potentially, but there's such limited game tape on him that I think BB would see the trade up as too much of a risk. I wouldn't mind betting the Pats have a late first or even more likely, a second round grade on him.

Chris Rainey would be a fun pick. He's claiming he'll run a 4.1 at the combine. If he does, I don't think he'll be there at #194.

Really good mock overall.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on Minnifield. I've watched most of his games the past two years, and I can't figure out why he's not neck and neck with Claiborne. He plays every single secondary position, understands zone, mirrors well in man, improved drastically between his junior and senior year, has good size (6' #190), should run in the mid 4.4s, and has become much more physical over the course of the season.

Why do you prefer Gilmore? He's often out of position in zone when I watch him, and he really struggles to stay with quicker players in transition. I see a mediocre corner who may be a decent free safety one day if he learns where his zone responsibilities are.

Boykin is a special teamer/dime corner only to me. Great athlete, but not a starter in this league. Curious what you are seeing that I am not--I have been known to be wrong on more than one occasion. ;)

Nepatriots has a new mock out. They have us taking.

1a Dont'a Hightower - LB - Alabama - I'm fine with this if you think he can be an olb in a 3-4. Spikes play has caught my attention the last couple of weeks. I'm fine with him going forward at ILB with Mayo. Fletcher provides decent depth. Tarpinian should be back and improved next year. IMO ILB is one of the strongest positions on the defense. He has Nick Perry and Andre Branch going in the late 3RD. Many think they are 1ST rounders.

1B Fletcher Cox - DE- Miss St - A two gap de. I thought we'd take one at 28 before we traded the pick. Still a need. I'm pleasantly surprised by Brandon Deaderick. But, we need another one. I see Ron Brace as a backup.

2a George Iloka - FS - Boise St - Could he be that all elusive big nickel? 6'3" 222 LB.
I'd still love to sign a NFL free agent. Don't want to count on him yet. Saw his bowl game against Ariz St. He had to slide to cb because of an injury and did fine.

2b Ben Jones - C - Georgia - A young developmental center. I'd be tempted to go wr here. A guy like Juron Criner. Connolly has impressed me. We can re-up him or Koppen and I'd be happy. But, can live with a C.

3 Dequan Menzie - CB - Alabama - Still need more db's.

2012 NFL Mock Draft | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2012 NFL Draft

Interested in hearing your thoughts on Minnifield. I've watched most of his games the past two years, and I can't figure out why he's not neck and neck with Claiborne. He plays every single secondary position, understands zone, mirrors well in man, improved drastically between his junior and senior year, has good size (6' #190), should run in the mid 4.4s, and has become much more physical over the course of the season.

Why do you prefer Gilmore? He's often out of position in zone when I watch him, and he really struggles to stay with quicker players in transition. I see a mediocre corner who may be a decent free safety one day if he learns where his zone responsibilities are.

Boykin is a special teamer/dime corner only to me. Great athlete, but not a starter in this league. Curious what you are seeing that I am not--I have been known to be wrong on more than one occasion. ;)

I probably haven't seen as much tape as you on Minnifield, but when I have watched him I see a corner who is too easily beat deep. I question whether he'll be an upgrade over McCourty, Dowling, Arrington. He's a fine player but I'm looking for difference makers.

1. I see Jamell Fleming as a potential shutdown corner which is why he's my number one guy. Don't know if he'll get there but he has that kind of upside.

2. Gilmore's weakness is his man coverage. I project him as a safety convert or in a more specialist role within the secondary. V good blitzer, excellent in run support, good instincts and apparently a film room junkie which BB will like. He's the type of player that you find a way to use.

3. I really like Boykin as someone who plays hard and I like his versatility. Having said that, don't know if he'll be much of an upgrade over Edelman and for that reason I don't see him being drafted in the second by us. But anyone who gets a safety, a return TD and a receiving TD in their bowl game deserves respect and attention.

As for being wrong, trust me, it's more likely to be me than you.

Official Mock #2

633314850.jpg

1b. Pick #32 Dont’a Hightower [30]

578767687.jpg

596133467.jpg

923413673.jpg

285995449.jpg

227314676.jpg

5784067_orig.jpg

4c. Russell Wilson [186]

344069568.jpg

424768102.jpg

161161184.jpg

UFA.

Beautifull, beautifull work.

Positively Wilforkesque in its incandescent beauty!!

Well, if we draft a CB high aren't we relying on hope that he stays healthier than Dowling, gets as many picks as Arrington and has a rookie year like McCourty? Drafting or relying on the guys you have both involve hope. But relying on the guys you have means you can use the pick at a position where you know the guys you have won't cut it.

I'm not totally sure what you mean, but in order to have a good set of cornerbacks next year, with this group, every variable would have work out perfectly. Thats not a risk I'd even think about taking. Two top 100 CBs are necessary in my opinion.

With interior OL I feel like we hit up against the point of diminishing returns much earlier. I'd love to have all-pros everywhere. I'm sure we all would. But it's impossible. There aren't that many high draft picks to use, or cap space to pay them. Sometime we have to take an average guy our position coach can coach up at a lower profile position so we can afford (draft or money-wise) a stud at a more difficult to fill position. If Brewster fell to our 4th I'd be all over him and be thrilled about it. Even 3rd would be cool. But no higher. And unfortunatily I don't think he will last till then.

I'd rather have a stud DE, OLB, FS or WR and settle for a merely decent OC. Than a stud OC and settle for merely decent guy at the other position

We actually agree on this. Brewster is the only center I want, and not until the third round. I think he makes it there pretty easily. He's a work in progress, but one with massive potential.

My only other problem is the value of the trade up for Brockers. Using the trade value chart, to move up to 15, it would probably cost you 27, 64 and 95. If he fell I would love to move up a bit to grab him, but where I think he is going to go, I think it would cost a lot more than a 3rd to move up to get him.

When I made the Brockers pick I had him in the 20 to 25 range so the trade would have been fine. I'm starting to be persuaded he will go higher. I don't know if I'd give up a first and a second. I'd have to think about it. There is no way I'd give up the first, second, and third though.

I thought our OC has played well all year and have never mocked a OC to us (granted I only do the first 2 rounds). But Brewster in round 3 or later is too good a value (isn't this another way of saying a good gamble, lol) to pass up.

Can't provide the link as I don't have enough posts but this one is from nfldraftgab... i like it although i'd take brokers with the 27th and then take barron with the 32nd...

27. New England Patriots [from New Orleans] – (Mark Barron, S, Alabama)

The Patriots had to interchange players in their secondary this past season due to injury and inability to execute the scheme responsibilities. Barron was asked to do a lot in Nick Saban’s defense at Alabama. He’s physical, instinctive, smart, and a sound tackler.

32. New England Patriots- (Mohamed Sanu, WR, Rutgers)

The Patriots have a stable of older receivers and could use some young legs. Chad Ochocinco and Deion Branch are likely to be gone. Mohamed Sanu is a good blocker, sure handed, runs great routes, and is a physical runner after the catch; a tough, versatile football player.

48. New England Patriots [from Oakland] – (Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska)

64. New England Patriots- (Vinny Curry, DE/OLB, Marshall)

Here is my mock draft.

1st (NO pick)...Mark Barron. Sine que non of safeties. Or however that expression goes.

1 (32 hopefully) trade for high to mid first next year and 5th and 6th rounders

2 Dwayne Allen TE Clemson 3rd TE needed

2b..trade down for extra 3rd and 4th

3. Cam Johnson DE Virginia could play OLB hopefully

3 Donnie Fletcher CB - BC

4. Kheeston Randall - 3 4 DE Texas

4. Marvin Jones, WR Cal tearing it up at the senior bowl!

5. Marcus Fortson DT Miami- a force if recovered from injury

6. Tramain Thomas FS - Arkansas

Here is my mock draft.

1st (NO pick)...Mark Barron.

475775991.jpg

Sine que non of safeties. Or however that expression goes.

1 (32 hopefully) trade for high to mid first next year and 5th and 6th rounders

2 Dwayne Allen TE Clemson

739864138.jpg

3rd TE needed

2b..trade down for extra 3rd and 4th

3. Cam Johnson DE Virginia

373180572.JPG

could play OLB hopefully

3 Donnie Fletcher CB - BC

771052708.jpg

4. Kheeston Randall - 3 4 DE Texas

722592857.jpg

4. Marvin Jones, WR Cal

186554537.jpg

tearing it up at the senior bowl!

5. Marcus Fortson DT Miami

467303000.jpg

- a force if recovered from injury

6. Tramain Thomas FS - Arkansas

795937241.jpg

Ton of Defense + a 2nd Round Flex End!! Man after my own heart!! :rocker:

1a. Quinton Coples DE North Carolina

1b. Vinny Curry OLB Marshall

2a. Robert Lester FS Alabama

2b. Mike Brewster C Ohio State

3. Tommy Streeter WR Miami

4. Donnie Fletcher CB Boston College

1a. Quinton Coples DE North Carolina

921274536.jpg

1b. Vinny Curry OLB Marshall

6224487.jpg

2a. Robert Lester FS Alabama

410943772.jpg

2b. Mike Brewster C Ohio State

285995449.jpg

3. Tommy Streeter WR Miami

732678570.jpg

4. Donnie Fletcher CB Boston College

771052708.jpg

Lester's not coming out, Bro.

Best mock ever!!!!!

from Matt Miller for Bleacher Report

#27 Jamell Fleming!!!!!!!

:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

Oh yeah, there was another pick

#32 some guy called Coples

Don't care. First time Fleming mocked to the Pats :D

And yes I know #27 is probably too high.

Last edited:
Best mock ever!!!!!

#27 Jamell Fleming!!!!!!!

:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

Oh yeah, there was another pick

#32 some guy called Coples

Don't care. First time Fleming mocked to the Pats :D

And yes I know #27 is probably too high.
I'm more inclined to take whitney mercilus at 27

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back