PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Official 2012 Mock Draft Thread!! *

If zach brown is considered a 1st round pick I dont see how lavonte david isnt. The dude is my new all time favorite predraft binky. When bb was doing those experiments with tank williams i really think he was looking for what exactly david does. Seriously, if I was in control I would seriously think about taking him in the first round because i wouldn't want to risk him being scooped up in the early second.

I am all for building a better running game.

Picking up OT Mike Adams would free up Nate for use as a run blocking TE as it is needed now. Dwayne adds depth at TE and is also a good run blocker.

Toon is a lot like Branch, and Quick might be a big risk but he is might be the next Brandon Marshal. If he becomes a deep threat it opens up the entire offense.

David is a great player, a bit undersized, but i think he could be a stud in the 3-4 alignment.

1A. OT ---> Mike Adams, 6'8 320.
517955052.jpg

1B. TE ---> Dwayne Allen, 6'4 255.
16901.JPG

2A. WR ---> Nick Toon, 6'2 220.
nick-toon-picture.jpg

2B. OLB ---> Lavonte David, 6'0 225.
4e36d708dd87c.image.jpg

3. WR ---> Brian Quick 6-4 222.
brianquick_display_image.jpg

Hate the Picks, but LOVE the Presentation!! :rocker:

*** By The Way: I'm going to keep "illustrating", after all, until y'all tell me NOT to!! 10 days of silence?? The people have SPOKEN!! :D***

I think David would be a good fit as a nickel coverage LB or big nickel safety. He doesn't have the upside of someone like a Zach Brown, but I think he could be a very good contributor. He doesn't have huge upside, but he is a relatively safe pick because of his instincts and processing speed. Unfortunately he seems like he could be an early 2nd rounder, so that would be too high for my liking.

Exactly.

I'm an ENORMOUS LaVonte David fan ~ and I believe I had him in Mock 1.0, when he was projected for the 3rd Round or so ~ but he's clearly a "43" or "425" fit, and would be drafted exclusively for that purpose...Unfortunately, he does indeed seem to've risen beyond any notion of "Value", except maybe to a Tampa 2 Defense.

If zach brown is considered a 1st round pick I dont see how lavonte david isnt. The dude is my new all time favorite predraft binky. When bb was doing those experiments with tank williams i really think he was looking for what exactly david does. Seriously, if I was in control I would seriously think about taking him in the first round because i wouldn't want to risk him being scooped up in the early second.

Ten pounds, an inch, and .2 difference in the 40 will do that. I wouldn't touch Brown, but the potential there is elite.

The only way Lavonte David is worth a first round pick for the Pats is if Belichick thinks he's an every-down strong safety. He's not going to spend a first on a part time player, and David isn't a 3-4 linebacker at all. I think he could be a very very good 4-3 Will, but the closest LB position to that in the Pats' defense is the one Mayo plays, and David is 20 pounds too light for that.

Last edited:
If the Patriots were looking at a Zach Brown/ Lavonte David type, they'd be better off going for Terrell Manning in the third. Very athletic and really good instincts.

I have to say though, as a player to watch, Lavonte David is fun. Top notch player, just a shame about his size.

LaVonte David and Zach Brown are Tampa-2 type LBs. You won't see either of these guys in a Patriots uniform. Maybe a Giants or Bears uni though.

Don Banks' latest mock draft (http://cnnsi.com/201...p&sct=hp_t11_a2):

#27 - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State, 6'4", 295 lbs - "(From New Orleans) The Patriots desperately need more pass rush, so Illinois DE-OLB Whitney Mercilus could very well intrigue them enough to be the pick. But Cox is the safer choice as a versatile, three-down lineman who would likely represent great value at No. 27."

#31 - Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama, 6'4", 269 lbs - "With the Patriots taking Mississippi State defensive tackle Fletcher Cox at No. 27, they can address another front-seven need with Hightower, a Nick Saban-coached prospect who has the versatility to play inside or outside linebacker. And we all know how Bill Belichick feels about versatility."

I don't think there's any way the Pats keep both picks. They'll either use them to move up, or they'll trade one (or more) and move down, picking up additional future picks. But if they did keep those two picks, I think these would be excellent additions to the team.

Don Banks' latest mock draft (http://cnnsi.com/201...p&sct=hp_t11_a2):

#27 - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State, 6'4", 295 lbs - "(From New Orleans) The Patriots desperately need more pass rush, so Illinois DE-OLB Whitney Mercilus could very well intrigue them enough to be the pick. But Cox is the safer choice as a versatile, three-down lineman who would likely represent great value at No. 27."

#31 - Dont'a Hightower, LB, Alabama, 6'4", 269 lbs - "With the Patriots taking Mississippi State defensive tackle Fletcher Cox at No. 27, they can address another front-seven need with Hightower, a Nick Saban-coached prospect who has the versatility to play inside or outside linebacker. And we all know how Bill Belichick feels about versatility."

I don't think there's any way the Pats keep both picks. They'll either use them to move up, or they'll trade one (or more) and move down, picking up additional future picks. But if they did keep those two picks, I think these would be excellent additions to the team.

Agreed. However, I think Fletcher Cox is going to see a JJ Watt type rise in his stock. He's expected to run under 4.8 at the combine and should do well in the fluidity drills compared to other linemen. Expecting him to be the second DL off the board after Brockers. Does mean that Devon Still falls in our direction though.

I honestly doubt Cox will go before Coples. I doubt even Brockers will go before Coples.

Also our 1st round picks probably aren't as tradable this year. Cinci and Cleveland both have two 1sts as well and their picks are much higher.

The Pats need to focus on 6 different positions in No draft:
1. DL (2)
2. DE/OLB
3. CB
4. Safety
5. WR - sign a FA and Welker.
6. Center

These are really the area that the Pats need to focus on.
1a. Fletcher Cox - DL - the first of two DL the Pats have to draft. Right now, Wolfork is the only real starter on the DL and love and Deaderick can be terrific role players.
1b. Dont'a Hightower - LB - He will make the Pats the best LB core in football.
2a. Mark Barron - S - big play safety and physical. Imagine Hightower, Spikes, Barron, Crick and Johnson playing on the same team!
2b. Jared Crick - DL - just a nasty defensive lineman who plays 3-4 and 4-3. He hits people very hard and he and Cox can be dominant. Top 15 pick before Pectoral injury.
3. Leonard Johnson - CB - big, physical cornerback who the Pats badly need. Plays very well against top notch receivers.
4. Ben Jones - Center - played at Georgia and the Pats need a SEC type of center. Team leader and captain.

The Pats new defense:
DL - Cox, Crick, Wilfork
LB - Mayo, Spikes, Hightower, Ninko
Secondary - McCourty, Johnson, Chung, Barron

Last edited:
1. DL (2)
2. DE/OLB
3. CB
4. Safety
6. Center

1a. Fletcher Cox - DL - the first of two DL the Pats have to draft. Right now, Wolfork is the only real starter on the DL and love and Deaderick can be terrific role players.
2a. Mark Barron - S - big play safety and physical. Imagine Hightower, Spikes, Barron, Crick and Johnson playing on the same team!
2b. Jared Crick - DL - just a nasty defensive lineman who plays 3-4 and 4-3. He hits people very hard and he and Cox can be dominant. Top 15 pick before Pectoral injury.
3. Leonard Johnson - CB - big, physical cornerback who the Pats badly need. Plays very well against top notch receivers.
4. Ben Jones - Center - played at Georgia and the Pats need a SEC type of center. Team leader and captain.

The Pats new defense:
DL - Cox, Crick, Wilfork

I wouldn't kick that draft out of my bed!

I wouldn't kick that draft out of my bed!

I'd unleash the pink fluffy handcuffs, slap on some Old spice, turn my Barry White CD to 10 and try and find my special occasion clean Y fronts. Is that too much info?

1. DL (2)
2. DE/OLB
3. CB
4. Safety
6. Center

4615624_orig.jpg

578767687.jpg

475775991.jpg

164225633.jpg

379792684.jpg

115540459.jpg

The Pats new defense:
DL - Cox, Crick, Wilfork

5 Defenders and a Grizzly!! BEAUTIFULL!! :rocker:

I'd unleash the pink fluffy handcuffs, slap on some Old spice, turn my Barry White CD to 10 and try and find my special occasion clean Y fronts.

Is that too much info?

Yes.

Yes, it is.

But we're gonna allow that one.
th_coffee.gif

I'd unleash the pink fluffy handcuffs, slap on some Old spice, turn my Barry White CD to 10 and try and find my special occasion clean Y fronts. Is that too much info?

I'm almost afraid to ask, but...what's a clean Y?

Just for fun, I've decided to have a go at a draft featuring players I've not seriously considered or mocked before. Not as easy as I thought it might be. Just one thing about the trades, they're a little optimistic in terms of getting teams to agree to them but it was necessary as I wanted to highlight some later round options.

Trade: Patriots trade #27, 31, 63 (1556) for Eagles #15, 46, 115 (1554)

I've looked at most of the later first, early second targets so needed to trade up to stick to my rules.

#15 Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

Taking a bit of a liberty here assuming he falls. Because this is a mock in which I can't take anyone I've previously seriously considered the options at the end of the first are severely limited necessitating a trade up. Trent Richardson is one of my favourite players coming out of college. Serious upgrade over Green-Ellis, he does everything BB requires as a minimum from a RB (blitz pickup, ball security) and adds the home run threat. I don't care about the supposed marginal value of RB's in the current passing league, TR would make our passing game better through forcing an extra defender into the box and play-action. Will most likely keep Brady's arm fresher by shouldering more of the load too. Plus we get to pick him one place ahead of the Jets thus annoying their fans. That's got to be worth it surely.

#46 Orson Charles, TE, Georgia

Jermichael Finley has just set the mark for TE's with a 2yr 15 mil contract, a problem with the Patriots having both Gronk's and Hernandez's contracts expiring in two years - will BB really invest that much at the position? Orson Charles therefore for three reasons. 1) Excellent backup to Hernandez 2) Legitimate threat in his own right (could time as fast as some of the WR's in the draft) 3) Gives us continuity should we not resign, presumably, Hernandez in two years time.

#48 Trade: Bears trade #74, 81, 174 (426) for Patriots #48 (420)

#74 Antonio Allen, SS, S Carolina

The Tight End killer. Outstanding tackler and good pass rusher with the athleticism and speed to run with TE's. Wouldn't want him or receivers for too long but an outstanding in the box safety. don't worry, free safety advocates, this isn't going to be my only safety dip.

#81 Trade: Cleveland trade #101, 118, 132 (194) for Patriots #81 (185)

#95 Brandon Mosley, OT, Auburn

A raw-ish but athletic tackle with lots of potential. Ideal Dante fodder that can be used as cover and that third blocking TE. Possible necessary pick if Matt Light chooses to hang up his cleats.

#101 Philip Thomas, FS, Syracuse

A late entrant to the draft, Thomas has hardly been mentioned in this draft process. However, Mayock has him as his fith ranked safety and Shane Hallam of Draft countdown likes him as a 3-4 rounder. He's a ball hawking free safety and will rotate alongside Chung and Antonio Allen. One note of caution, he's in the draft because he got a late one year suspension from Syracuse, reason unknown.

#115 Dwight Bentley, CB, LA-Lafayette

A surprise senior bowl star who plays both man and zone effectively. One of the better later round values at the CB position, assuming he stays a later round CB

#118 Philip Blake, OC, Baylor

One of the stouter centers in the draft with the speed to get to the second level. The fact that Baylor ran for umpteen million yards against Ta'amu suggests that Blake has what it takes to be a contender for an NFL starting spot.

#127 Jake Bequette, OLB, Arkansas

Maybe not the ideal for a Patriots OLB, but there's a lot there to like; blue collar consistent effort guy who gets the job done. Have him and Jermaine Cunningham battle it out for the roster spot in TC and pre-season.

#132 Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma

Possibly the receiver outside the first two rounds with the experience to be a success at the NFL level. Extremely productive, strong hands, good routes.

#174 Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas

Admittedly, the last two picks have been a bit of a cheat because I have "considered" them before but the pickings at WR are slim at this point. If both Broyles and Childs can get back to their previous best, they would be considered the steals of the draft. The injury concerns would necessitate an experienced FA at the position for a year however (Lloyd or Wayne).

Just for fun, I've decided to have a go at a draft featuring players I've not seriously considered or mocked before. Not as easy as I thought it might be. Just one thing about the trades, they're a little optimistic in terms of getting teams to agree to them but it was necessary as I wanted to highlight some later round options.

Trade: Patriots trade #27, 31, 63 (1556) for Eagles #15, 46, 115 (1554)

I've looked at most of the later first, early second targets so needed to trade up to stick to my rules.

#15 Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

614375538.jpg

Taking a bit of a liberty here assuming he falls. Because this is a mock in which I can't take anyone I've previously seriously considered the options at the end of the first are severely limited necessitating a trade up. Trent Richardson is one of my favourite players coming out of college. Serious upgrade over Green-Ellis, he does everything BB requires as a minimum from a RB (blitz pickup, ball security) and adds the home run threat. I don't care about the supposed marginal value of RB's in the current passing league, TR would make our passing game better through forcing an extra defender into the box and play-action. Will most likely keep Brady's arm fresher by shouldering more of the load too. Plus we get to pick him one place ahead of the Jets thus annoying their fans. That's got to be worth it surely.

#46 Orson Charles, TE, Georgia

502494182.jpg

Jermichael Finley has just set the mark for TE's with a 2yr 15 mil contract, a problem with the Patriots having both Gronk's and Hernandez's contracts expiring in two years - will BB really invest that much at the position? Orson Charles therefore for three reasons. 1) Excellent backup to Hernandez 2) Legitimate threat in his own right (could time as fast as some of the WR's in the draft) 3) Gives us continuity should we not resign, presumably, Hernandez in two years time.

#48 Trade: Bears trade #74, 81, 174 (426) for Patriots #48 (420)

#74 Antonio Allen, SS, S Carolina

445586086.jpg

The Tight End killer. Outstanding tackler and good pass rusher with the athleticism and speed to run with TE's. Wouldn't want him or receivers for too long but an outstanding in the box safety. don't worry, free safety advocates, this isn't going to be my only safety dip.

#81 Trade: Cleveland trade #101, 118, 132 (194) for Patriots #81 (185)

#95 Brandon Mosley, OT, Auburn

821683947.jpg

A raw-ish but athletic tackle with lots of potential. Ideal Dante fodder that can be used as cover and that third blocking TE. Possible necessary pick if Matt Light chooses to hang up his cleats.

#101 Philip Thomas, FS, Syracuse

4e6f502b131c1.image.jpg

A late entrant to the draft, Thomas has hardly been mentioned in this draft process. However, Mayock has him as his fith ranked safety and Shane Hallam of Draft countdown likes him as a 3-4 rounder. He's a ball hawking free safety and will rotate alongside Chung and Antonio Allen. One note of caution, he's in the draft because he got a late one year suspension from Syracuse, reason unknown.

#115 Dwight Bentley, CB, LA-Lafayette

196698999.jpg

A surprise senior bowl star who plays both man and zone effectively. One of the better later round values at the CB position, assuming he stays a later round CB

#118 Philip Blake, OC, Baylor

956216848.jpeg

One of the stouter centers in the draft with the speed to get to the second level. The fact that Baylor ran for umpteen million yards against Ta'amu suggests that Blake has what it takes to be a contender for an NFL starting spot.

#127 Jake Bequette, OLB, Arkansas

862800906.jpg

Maybe not the ideal for a Patriots OLB, but there's a lot there to like; blue collar consistent effort guy who gets the job done. Have him and Jermaine Cunningham battle it out for the roster spot in TC and pre-season.

#132 Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma

201044192.jpg

Possibly the receiver outside the first two rounds with the experience to be a success at the NFL level. Extremely productive, strong hands, good routes.

#174 Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas

797887347.jpg

Admittedly, the last two picks have been a bit of a cheat because I have "considered" them before but the pickings at WR are slim at this point. If both Broyles and Childs can get back to their previous best, they would be considered the steals of the draft. The injury concerns would necessitate an experienced FA at the position for a year however (Lloyd or Wayne).

Oh, that was very nice, Brother Manx.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back