PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Official 2012 Mock Draft Thread!! *

The thing is, the post-2008 Brady has more difficulty than ever avoiding pressure up the middle. And when taking the Pats' frequency of snapping into empty backfield formations into consideration, our Center needs to be almost as proficient a pass-protector as our Tackles. The short-bodied, short-armed Centers just won't cut the mustard any longer. That's why I feel that Nick McDonald has a much better chance of contributing here than Ryan Wendell ever will. Whatever advantage Wendell may have in the leverage department is lost when weighed against all of his disadvantages.

Brewster's arm length bothers me. He is off the binky list.

It's 31.5" BTW
Brewster did not look good at the NFL combine. I saw very poor footwork, reaction time and it can only hurt his value. This performance may drop him into the 4th - 5th rounds but he isn't worth anything higher and the Pats have to look for another more dominant player.

Last edited:
Brewster did not look good at the NFL combine. I saw verability poor footwork, reaction time and it can only hurt his value. This performance may drop him into the 4th - 5th rounds but he isn't worth anything higher.

I completely agree. He seems to really lack explosion and athleticism. Only a 25" vert and 8'0" broad jump.

Brewster did not look good at the NFL combine. I saw very poor footwork, reaction time and it can only hurt his value. This performance may drop him into the 4th - 5th rounds but he isn't worth anything higher and the Pats have to look for another more dominant player.

What a difference a year makes. There were a few of us proclaiming Brewster a 1st round talent after last years draft. Your right, now after today's performance he more than likely fell out of the 3rd round. He slipped off balance during one of the drills and just looked completely out of place the whole day. Hopefully he can take this experience and correct some of the issues and look better at his pro day to improve his status.

What a difference a year makes. There were a few of us proclaiming Brewster a 1st round talent after last years draft. Your right, now after today's performance he more than likely fell out of the 3rd round. He slipped off balance during one of the drills and just looked completely out of place the whole day. Hopefully he can take this experience and correct some of the issues and look better at his pro day to improve his status.

Indeed!! I was VERY high on the kid, a year ago.

The evaluational process is a fascinating one.

Brewster was poor in the draft and it shows that the only center to consider in the first 3 rounds is Peter Konz. However, lets look at who could be available in the rounds 1 and 2 for the Patriots and what I see is a GREAT opportunity to possibly build the BEST YOUNG Defense in the NFL. All we need on offense is a WR and a center which can should be available in 3rd/4th rounds, FA and lets focus on the defense. The picks that may be available for the Pats are numerous!!!!
1st round possibilities:
Whitney Mercilus -DL - led the country is sacks and outplayed OSU OT Adams. Relentless player!
Dont'a Hightower - OLB/ILB - great fit for the Pats
Fletcher Cox - DL - 4 time SEC DL of the week and should the Pats consider picking Cox and Mercilus in the 1st round and solidify the DL for several years....
Nick Perry - DE - a young Andre Carter type of player who needs some size but athletic.
Janoris Jenkins - CB - some problems but immense talent
2nd roud possibilities:
Vin Curry - DE/OLB - good fit for the Patriots with size and speed.
Andre Branch - DE - 6'5" 260 lbs. in 2011, 73 tackles and 10.5 sacks and explosive
Alameda Ta’amu - DT - huge player who can really stop the run
Harrison Smith - S - intelligent hardworking durable player
Brandon Thompson - NT/DT - can play both positions, 6'2" 300+ lbs and a tough competitor
Leonard Johnson - CB - tough player who outplayed Blackmon of OSU
Crick/David - LB/DL both from Nebraska who are just good football players

Last edited:
I have Poe and Still going Top 12. Not sure Brockers is a 3-4 de. Looks like a 4-3 dt. So, I will trade up for Fletcher Cox. 31 and 63 to 19 to Chicago. Tried to be realistic with who would be available when we pick.

1a Fletcher Cox - DE - Miss St

Mercilus, Ingram and Perry are gone. Draft A. Branch or trade down and pick V. Curry. The combine says Branch. The video says Curry. I can't get that Clemson vs West Va Bowl Game out of my mind when thinking about Clemson players. 27 to Minny for 35 and their 3RD. They trade up for Steven Hill.

2a Vinny Curry - olb/de Marshall

We have to trade ahead of Philly and NYJ to get our safety. 48 TO Dallas for 45. We give them our 4th. They give us their 5th.

2b Harrison Smith - FS - Notre Dame

63 traded to moved up to get Fletcher Cox

3a from Minny - Marvin McNutt - WR - Iowa

- I can be talked into Marvin Jones - California.

3b Shaun Prater - CB - Iowa

4 TRADED TO GET H. Smith

5 from Dallas Ryan Broyles - WR - Oklahoma

Last edited:
For what it's worth, Adam Schefter is reporting that the Rams are going to trade their first round (#2 overall pick). Not sure to who; Browns or Redskins, perhaps?

Twitter

Rams will trade No. 2 pick. Only question is where. Chargers once got two 1s, a 3 and a 5 for Eli Manning. Rams likely to get similar deal.​

It looks like he's simply stating an opinion with strong conviction, not reporting something he was told as a fact. Since there's no deal made as of yet, I'd call it speculation - for now. Probably a smart move by the Rams if true. I don't see how it would affect the Pats one way or the other regardless though.

Draft A. Branch or trade down and pick V. Curry.

The combine says Branch.

The video says Curry.

I can't get that Clemson vs West Va Bowl Game out of my mind when thinking about Clemson players.

Right??? That was ASTONISHING!!
jester.gif

Mountaineers SLAUGHTER Tiggers, 70-33!!!

spt-grid-orange-rout-120104.nbcsports-story-612.jpg

I have Poe and Still going Top 12. Not sure Brockers is a 3-4 de. Looks like a 4-3 dt. So, I will trade up for Fletcher Cox. 31 and 63 to 19 to Chicago. Tried to be realistic with who would be available when we pick.

1a Fletcher Cox - DE - Miss St

4615624_orig.jpg

Mercilus, Ingram and Perry are gone. Draft A. Branch or trade down and pick V. Curry. The combine says Branch. The video says Curry. I can't get that Clemson vs West Va Bowl Game out of my mind when thinking about Clemson players. 27 to Minny for 35 and their 3RD. They trade up for Steven Hill.

2a Vinny Curry - olb/de Marshall

6224487.jpg

We have to trade ahead of Philly and NYJ to get our safety. 48 TO Dallas for 45. We give them our 4th. They give us their 5th.

2b Harrison Smith - FS - Notre Dame

334589920.jpg

63 traded to moved up to get Fletcher Cox

3a from Minny - Marvin McNutt - WR - Iowa

226975850.jpg

- I can be talked into Marvin Jones - California.

3b Shaun Prater - CB - Iowa

420246668.jpg

4 TRADED TO GET H. Smith

5 from Dallas Ryan Broyles - WR - Oklahoma

201044192.jpg

Good looking crew. :cool:

For what it's worth, Adam Schefter is reporting that the Rams are going to trade their first round (#2 overall pick). Not sure to who; Browns or Redskins, perhaps?

Twitter

Rams will trade No. 2 pick. Only question is where. Chargers once got two 1s, a 3 and a 5 for Eli Manning. Rams likely to get similar deal.​

It looks like he's simply stating an opinion with strong conviction, not reporting something he was told as a fact. Since there's no deal made as of yet, I'd call it speculation - for now. Probably a smart move by the Rams if true. I don't see how it would affect the Pats one way or the other regardless though.

Bleh Schefter is just spewing at this point. The draft is still ~2 months away. It's likely the Rams will have to shop the pick (salary cap hell from picking high so many years in a row) but I'm sure there is no deal even close yet. Not to mention, if there was a deal in place the team that is trading St Louis would tell St Louis not to tell anyone about it because if other teams knew about the trade the complexion of the drafts changes completely.

Reuben Randle...Seriously, if there was ever a spot to use the 31st pick, it would be here.

Bleh Schefter is just spewing at this point. The draft is still ~2 months away. It's likely the Rams will have to shop the pick (salary cap hell from picking high so many years in a row) but I'm sure there is no deal even close yet. Not to mention, if there was a deal in place the team that is trading St Louis would tell St Louis not to tell anyone about it because if other teams knew about the trade the complexion of the drafts changes completely.

It might make more sense to get the deal done before FA and Manning's deadline. There's a much smaller group of teams competing for RGIII once Manning and Matt Flynn have found homes.

OTG

Can I make a suggestion?

How about starting a new thread post combine. Whilst you continue your sterling efforts adding pictoral excellence, I propose to track peoples mocks like I did when I created that consensus mock and big board and make the information available on a google doc spreadsheet. It would be interesting as we head in to the draft itself to see what we are all predicting.

The reason for proposing the new thread is that it gives a clean start and would be easier to track. This is your thread though so if you want to continue with it, that's fine.

OTG

Can I make a suggestion?

How about starting a new thread post combine. Whilst you continue your sterling efforts adding pictoral excellence, I propose to track peoples mocks like I did when I created that consensus mock and big board and make the information available on a google doc spreadsheet. It would be interesting as we head in to the draft itself to see what we are all predicting.

The reason for proposing the new thread is that it gives a clean start and would be easier to track. This is your thread though so if you want to continue with it, that's fine.

Hey, Brother Manx!!

Philosophically, I heartily support your noble ~ and unbelievably impressive ~ efforts...But I feel like we'd be losing more than we'd be gaining. Couldn't you simply start from here and proceed accordingly, using only the ensuing Mocks for your DataBase? I hate to be unsupportive of your efforts, especially considering how amazing your work was and presumably will be, but I'm sure that if I were to try to kill off this thread and replace it with a new one, the vast majority would be dropping a series of WTF Bombs on me...and I have to say that they'd be fully justified in so doing!! :eek:

My purpose in proposing this Thread was to for us all to have a single point of reference for our own Mocks and for each others' Mocks: a One Stop Shop, if you will, allowing us to track our Mocks from our very first ones, all the way to Draft Day!!

In fact, I think I'll open up the next one on MAY DAY, just for the hell of it!! :D

And I'm afraid that if I try to break that up, I'd be betraying a trust, here.

Certainly, if you want to "Spin Off" a separate "Post Combine" Mock Thread, you could do so, if you feel it would make your calculations easier. Personally, I don't consider the Combine a WaterShed event. Indeed, I would expect that most of us Draftniks see the process as a Continuum, going all the way from the last day of the previous Draft to the first day of this one!!

If you decide to keep rolling with this thread ~ as I humbly hope you do!! :D ~ I wonder if that PermaLink bit ~ upper right hand corner of each post ~ would allow you to come right back here to post #814 ~ isn't that the year CharleMagne got crowned?? ~ or to any ensuing post you wished to designate as a sort of Forward Rally Point??

Hey, Brother Manx!!

Philosophically, I heartily support your noble ~ and unbelievably impressive ~ efforts...But I feel like we'd be losing more than we'd be gaining. Couldn't you simply start from here and proceed accordingly, using only the ensuing Mocks for your DataBase? I hate to be unsupportive of your efforts, especially considering how amazing your work was and presumably will be, but I'm sure that if I were to try to kill off this thread and replace it with a new one, the vast majority would be dropping a series of WTF Bombs on me...and I have to say that they'd be fully justified in so doing!! :eek:

My purpose in proposing this Thread was to for us all to have a single point of reference for our own Mocks and for each others' Mocks: a One Stop Shop, if you will, allowing us to track our Mocks from our very first ones, all the way to Draft Day!!

In fact, I think I'll open up the next one on MAY DAY, just for the hell of it!! :D

And I'm afraid that if I try to break that up, I'd be betraying a trust, here.

Certainly, if you want to "Spin Off" a separate "Post Combine" Mock Thread, you could do so, if you feel it would make your calculations easier. Personally, I don't consider the Combine a WaterShed event. Indeed, I would expect that most of us Draftniks see the process as a Continuum, going all the way from the last day of the previous Draft to the first day of this one!!

If you decide to keep rolling with this thread ~ as I humbly hope you do!! :D ~ I wonder if that PermaLink bit ~ upper right hand corner of each post ~ would allow you to come right back here to post #814 ~ isn't that the year CharleMagne got crowned?? ~ or to any ensuing post you wished to designate as a sort of Forward Rally Point??

I would never set up a competing thread, that would be an insult to your exemplary work. That's absolutely fine (I didn't know about the permalinks in thread). I'm happy to work that way.

I would never set up a competing thread, that would be an insult to your exemplary work. That's absolutely fine (I didn't know about the permalinks in thread). I'm happy to work that way.

Awesome Possum!! I haven't figured out HOW the PermaLink thing works ~ I thought I had :confused: ~ but hopefully somebody can!! Looking forward to the next Chapter of your fine work, sir!! :D

Awesome Possum!! I haven't figured out HOW the PermaLink thing works ~ I thought I had :confused: ~ but hopefully somebody can!! Looking forward to the next Chapter of your fine work, sir!! :D

By permalinks, can I assume that you referring to linking to a specific post, rather than the entire thread as a whole? If that is what you want to do just click on the number of the post (#818, in the upper right hand corner in this case). Copy and paste the URL that is now in the browser and there is your permalink.

This, for example, would be a permalink to your previous comment: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...012-mock-draft-thread-page82.html#post2972211

Last edited:
would allow you to come right back here to post #814 ~ isn't that the year CharleMagne got crowned?? ~ or to any ensuing post you wished to designate as a sort of Forward Rally Point??

Right church, wrong pew: 814 is when Charlemagne shuffled off this mortal coil.
As Dennis Green would say, he had his a** crowned Holy Roman Emperor on Christmas Day 800. :p

[More accurately, he crowned his own a**.]

Last edited:

The other thing you could do (not saying do it, just saying it could be done) is to lock this thread with a link in the last post to the new thread.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back