PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Official 2012 Mock Draft Thread!! *

From the official NFL stats
T-A SCK INT FF
J. Mayo 8-3 0.0 0 1
B. Spikes 8-3 0.0 0 1

They had the same stats mayo was all over the place.

They are the heart of our defense. We should play a 3-4. I'd rather have
two cb's as the heart of it. But, it is what it is. Nothing wrong with them.

Yeah - I don't get it when people slate Mayo. He is one of the best LB's in the NFL - and he and Spikes make a great Combo at ILB in a 3-4.

I think in FA we need to look to address 4 priorities to set ourselves up for the draft and in 2012. We already have a lot of cap room in 2012, and we will surely generate more room in the off season for our rookies and to make a few FA additions.

1 - Re-sign our key FA's.
NEP Draft has a good section on this 2012 Patriots Free Agent Preview | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2012 NFL Draft I think I agree with everything they say, with the possible exception of Koppen. I would like to keep him, but only on our terms. He can help groom the replacement I think we are likely to draft.

FA's Re-signed: Welker (F-tag if req'd), Anderson, Carter, Branch, Love, Hoyer, Connolly, Slater [Koppen].

Branch would be re-signed our #3 WR.

2 - Wide Receiver
Sunday again showed us that the weakness in our receiving Core is that when we miss one of Gronk, Hernandez or Welker, we do not have anyone else to step up. Also, we need another playmaker for Brady, and with our recent draft record I would not want to gamble on finding e.g. a Torrey Smith in free agency. The WR FA class is strong, headlined by the likes of Wayne, Jackson De and Jackson V.

I really like Brandon Lloyd - watched him first hand in the Wembley game two years ago against the 49ers and his hands are ridiculous. He took the top of the 49er Defence with a 70 yard play in that game, being bought down at around the 1 yard line. He is not a "premier" FA and will not be looking for top dollar, but he is a good weapon, knows our offence and provides a different kind of threat to what we already have.

3 - Defensive Line/Pass-rush.
There are a few premiere D-Line Free Agents. The two I would like to target are Mario Williams and Calais Campbell (a bit obvious). Both might be franchised, but they would add a huge amount next to Vince on the D-Line and are scheme versatile (although Williams has more experience in a 4-3 and Campbell in a 3-4). Grabbing someone here, alongside a rookie pass-rusher or DE/DT would help the defence a huge amount.

4 - Veteran DB
Frustratingly, there are few good safety prospects either in the draft or in FA. I think we have a real need for some veteran leadership in the defensive backfield, and some depth is clearly required. I like Sterling Moore as depth, and we will get Ras-I back but he is injury prone. There are plenty of Premiere CB's available in FA and I would not mind if we made a small splash to get a leader in the backfield. someone like Brandon Carr would be great - but there is no way we can sign more than one premier FA and i would rather we attacked the DLine/Pass Rush.

This would allow us to take BPA in the draft, targeting a young WR in the second and a developmental OC in the 3rd.

So,an hour later after another SB loss,can somebody argue that we don't need talent upfront ? Patriots can't stop the run and they can't run when it matters.

The Patriots can and have stopped the run when it was their primary focus. Stopping the run against the Giants wasn't the primary focus. Stopping the Pass was. And, with that in consideration, only giving up a bit over 4.2 YPC is pretty decent. Not spectacular, but decent.

As for running when it matters, there was ONE bad running play. And that was because Canty beat Mankins and Polite ran right by Canty to allow Canty to get to BJGE. But when you run into the teeth of that defense, where the Pats weren't having success, then you are basically handing the defense a down. The Pats were successful with their toss sweeps, draws, and reverses.

Why change from that.

BTW, most people agree that the Pats need a RDE. Most people don't agree that they need O-line help beyond center. And help at center is only if they don't bring back Connolly or Koppen.

Via Reiss this is from McShay's latest mock.

At No. 27, which the Patriots own from the Saints, the pick is Syracuse defensive end Chandler Jones.

Jones is an under-the-radar pass-rusher with the frame (6-5, 247) Bill Belichick likes in his DE/OLB hybrids, and he's a gifted athlete who bends the edge naturally. He's the brother of Ravens DL Arthur Jones and MMA sensation Jon Jones.

At No. 31, Clemson defensive lineman Brandon Thompson gets the nod.

Filling a need at wide receiver would be a reach here, so Thompson becomes attractive. His motor runs hot and cold and he played much better in 2010, but Thompson can be overpowering against the run and flashes the ability to collapse the pocket as a pass-rusher.

OK, it's that time of year when I start to understand the players wh might be on the Pats radar and, once again, break my annual resolution not to get too amped up by YouTube highlight vids or binkies or expectations of what BB could do with all those picks.

I find the nepatriotsdraft.com site to be very good and informative in a digestible way. Their new mock has the Pats trading 31 and 48 to Cinci for 17 and a fifth. With 17, Pats pick ... Brockers.

Michael Brockers, fresh off his own disappointing championship game defeat, is a prototypical five-technique end – which means he might not make it past pick 10, let alone pick 20. Measuring in at 6’6″ and over 305 pounds, with the frame to add a few more, the former LSU Tiger has the length and size to draw double teams and dominate his two gaps.

So, what say you? (And before you recite "BB never trades up, read their intro).

OK, it's that time of year when I start to understand the players wh might be on the Pats radar and, once again, break my annual resolution not to get too amped up by YouTube highlight vids or binkies or expectations of what BB could do with all those picks.

I find the nepatriotsdraft.com site to be very good and informative in a digestible way. Their new mock has the Pats trading 31 and 48 to Cinci for 17 and a fifth. With 17, Pats pick ... Brockers.

So, what say you? (And before you recite "BB never trades up, read their intro).

The bigger problem than BB "never trading up" is that the Bengals hardly ever trade first round picks either up or down. Only 3 times since 1992.

Another problem is that I don't see BB trading up for a raw and relatively untested player. Has BB ever taken a RS sophomore?

The bigger problem than BB "never trading up" is that the Bengals hardly ever trade first round picks either up or down. Only 3 times since 1992.

Another problem is that I don't see BB trading up for a raw and relatively untested player. Has BB ever taken a RS sophomore?

Gronk played two years. Red-shirted with an injury. Surprisingly, decided to come out. Doubt we trade up for a guy that inexperience. But, if one slips to us. I could see us taking him.

Many people who have followed Barron don't feel he's a complete safety. Maybe a complete STRONG Safety, but many have said he's weak against the Pass. The Pats have that in Chung (who has gotten better) and Ihedigbo (who has also gotten better, but is still 2 steps behind Chung). The Pats need someone who has the ability to cover and is willing in run support. More likely, they will either go with McCourty or Dowling there and add someone via free agency, unless they view a Stephon Gilmore or Trumaine Johnson as a good conversion candidate. George Iloka looked pretty good in the Senior Bowl, but, again, most of the DBs (except Donnie Fletcher who looked totally outclassed the entire game) looked good.

I'm kind of intrigued by Iloka. Very tall at 6'5 with nice athleticism. Makes me wonder if his body type and attributes are going to be a next generation of safety to try and stop the new breed of TE's in Gronk and Graham

There are many players that I like but I have only one binkie. I don't care if we have to reach to get him. Just get me Lavonte David one way or another. Also, I would take travis lewis as a consolation prize if we can't get david.

just for fun, the ultimate fallers mock draft:

1a. Dre Kirkpatrick - the clear cut #2 CB recently was arrested for some weed. Good thing that can't happen in NE. :D Dre meet Aaron.

1b. Alshon Jeffery - preseason was considered a top 5-10 pick and in a battle with Blackmon for #1 WR. Some question his fitness level / passion for game, others blame his QB.

2a. Mark Barron - Previously considered a sure-fire 1st rounder now has an injury that will cause him to miss time in the off/pre - season.

2b. Vontaze Burfict - the best athlete of all the 3-4 ILB's / 4-3 LB's IMO. Has shown great production but falls due to his on field stupidity.

3. Peter Konz - A binky many wanted at 1a before the season may now be available in the 3rd . Getting him here is a steal.

4. Josh Chapman - Considered a 2nd round player but also has injury concerns. One thing's for sure - he can play through pain. Makes you wonder what he would have done fully healthy.

Brandon Lindsey is my binkie this year.

Yeah - I don't get it when people slate Mayo. He is one of the best LB's in the NFL - and he and Spikes make a great Combo at ILB in a 3-4.

I think in FA we need to look to address 4 priorities to set ourselves up for the draft and in 2012. We already have a lot of cap room in 2012, and we will surely generate more room in the off season for our rookies and to make a few FA additions.

NEP Draft has a good section on this 2012 Patriots Free Agent Preview | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2012 NFL Draft I think I agree with everything they say, with the possible exception of Koppen. I would like to keep him, but only on our terms. He can help groom the replacement I think we are likely to draft.

FA's Re-signed: Welker (F-tag if req'd), Anderson, Carter, Branch, Love, Hoyer, Connolly, Slater [Koppen].

Branch would be re-signed our #3 WR.

2 - Wide Receiver
Sunday again showed us that the weakness in our receiving Core is that when we miss one of Gronk, Hernandez or Welker, we do not have anyone else to step up. Also, we need another playmaker for Brady, and with our recent draft record I would not want to gamble on finding e.g. a Torrey Smith in free agency. The WR FA class is strong, headlined by the likes of Wayne, Jackson De and Jackson V.

I really like Brandon Lloyd - watched him first hand in the Wembley game two years ago against the 49ers and his hands are ridiculous. He took the top of the 49er Defence with a 70 yard play in that game, being bought down at around the 1 yard line. He is not a "premier" FA and will not be looking for top dollar, but he is a good weapon, knows our offence and provides a different kind of threat to what we already have.

There are a few premiere D-Line Free Agents. The two I would like to target are Mario Williams and Calais Campbell (a bit obvious). Both might be franchised, but they would add a huge amount next to Vince on the D-Line and are scheme versatile (although Williams has more experience in a 4-3 and Campbell in a 3-4). Grabbing someone here, alongside a rookie pass-rusher or DE/DT would help the defence a huge amount.

4 - Veteran DB
Frustratingly, there are few good safety prospects either in the draft or in FA. I think we have a real need for some veteran leadership in the defensive backfield, and some depth is clearly required. I like Sterling Moore as depth, and we will get Ras-I back but he is injury prone. There are plenty of Premiere CB's available in FA and I would not mind if we made a small splash to get a leader in the backfield. someone like Brandon Carr would be great - but there is no way we can sign more than one premier FA and i would rather we attacked the DLine/Pass Rush.

This would allow us to take BPA in the draft, targeting a young WR in the second and a developmental OC in the 3rd.
FA's - Welker (F-tag if req'd), Anderson, Carter, Branch, Love, Hoyer, Connolly, Slater.
Welker is 31 and Branch 33. Branch gets low 1-year deal and work on a affordable price for Welker. Branch can only play for the Pats and he will stay. Sign both Anderson and Carter to no more than 2year deals. Connolly is important to sign especially if the Pats are looking to draft a center to start immediately because he is versatile at several positions. Love is a rotational player and can be signed low. Hoyer staying depends on other teams interest and the Pats get a 2nd round pick and Mallett's improvement. A third 2nd round pick may be very important next year.

2 - Wide Receiver
Brandon Lloyd - Pats only have one good receiver in Welker and he is a slot receiver. Pats need to sign Lloyd and also look at a WR in the draft in rounds 2 or 3. Lloyd is 31 and thrives in the McDaniel offense. The Pats need a #1 receiver immediately.

Calais Campbell is a ferocious pass rusher, 25 years old, exactly what the Pats need and will be TOO expensive. Pats may have to go after Kendall Langford or another player at a more affordable price and pick a DL and pass rusher in the 1st round. The chances of landing Campbell are slim and he may be the number 1 FA of 2012. Drafting a DT and DE in the first two rounds is really necessary with or without signing Campbell. Right now the Pats only have Wilfork and really no starting DT.

4 - Veteran DB Pats badly need at least one safety, McCourty was a all-pro at cb a year ago and disappeard, no one knows if can Dowling play and need to sign a FA safety or cb. The secondary was a complete mess and I really think one of the reasons why McCourty didn't play well was because of the safeties. Chung is a good player but was hurt and the Pats need 2 healthy safeties and 1 needs to be at an all-pro level. The Pats need to look at FA cb's including William Middleton, Tracy Porter and Brandon Carr.

Last edited:
just for fun, the ultimate fallers mock draft:

1a. Dre Kirkpatrick - the clear cut #2 CB recently was arrested for some weed. Good thing that can't happen in NE. :D Dre meet Aaron.

1b. Alshon Jeffery - preseason was considered a top 5-10 pick and in a battle with Blackmon for #1 WR. Some question his fitness level / passion for game, others blame his QB.

2a. Mark Barron - Previously considered a sure-fire 1st rounder now has an injury that will cause him to miss time in the off/pre - season.

2b. Vontaze Burfict - the best athlete of all the 3-4 ILB's / 4-3 LB's IMO. Has shown great production but falls due to his on field stupidity.

3. Peter Konz - A binky many wanted at 1a before the season may now be available in the 3rd . Getting him here is a steal.

4. Josh Chapman - Considered a 2nd round player but also has injury concerns. One thing's for sure - he can play through pain. Makes you wonder what he would have done fully healthy.

Friends don't let friends Drink + Draft. ;)

I'll use all the picks just because it's too hard to speculate trades.

1a: Fletcher Cox DL, Mississippi State: Need playmakers on defense, and I think this kid could be a gem. Great size, burst and power.

1b: Chase Minnifield CB Virginia: Go back to the well at CB. Good size, versatile in coverage. Solid all around player.

2a: Peter Konz OL Wisconsin: Youth at the Center position. Koppen resigned though for one more year/as needed or alternatively Connelly is resigned and Koppen is let go unless he takes low cash because he can't get starter pay elsewhere.

2b: Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma: If the injury checks out the young Deion Branch to replace the old Deion Branch. I'm a big OU fan (see every game living in Norman) this guy is legit. Great hands, very athletic. Runs precise, quick routes. One of the best receivers to ever play at OU imo.

3: Markelle Martin FS Oklahoma State: We need a Free safety not a Strong safety like Barron. This guy is a mild upgrade over James Ihedigbo and will turn into a big upgrade within a year or two. He's got the skills.

FA's - Welker (F-tag if req'd), Anderson, Carter, Branch, Love, Hoyer, Connolly, Slater.
Welker is 31 and Branch 33. Branch gets low 1-year deal and work on a affordable price for Welker. Branch can only play for the Pats and he will stay. Sign both Anderson and Carter to no more than 2year deals. Connolly is important to sign especially if the Pats are looking to draft a center to start immediately because he is versatile at several positions. Love is a rotational player and can be signed low. Hoyer staying depends on other teams interest and the Pats get a 2nd round pick and Mallett's improvement. A third 2nd round pick may be very important next year.

2 - Wide Receiver
Brandon Lloyd - Pats only have one good receiver in Welker and he is a slot receiver. Pats need to sign Lloyd and also look at a WR in the draft in rounds 2 or 3. Lloyd is 31 and thrives in the McDaniel offense. The Pats need a #1 receiver immediately.

Calais Campbell is a ferocious pass rusher, 25 years old, exactly what the Pats need and will be TOO expensive. Pats may have to go after Kendall Langford or another player at a more affordable price and pick a DL and pass rusher in the 1st round. The chances of landing Campbell are slim and he may be the number 1 FA of 2012. Drafting a DT and DE in the first two rounds is really necessary with or without signing Campbell. Right now the Pats only have Wilfork and really no starting DT.

4 - Veteran DB Pats badly need at least one safety, McCourty was a all-pro at cb a year ago and disappeard, no one knows if can Dowling play and need to sign a FA safety or cb. The secondary was a complete mess and I really think one of the reasons why McCourty didn't play well was because of the safeties. Chung is a good player but was hurt and the Pats need 2 healthy safeties and 1 needs to be at an all-pro level. The Pats need to look at FA cb's including William Middleton, Tracy Porter and Brandon Carr.

Agreed - at the right price. I think Welker is well worth a 3 year deal, no more than 4. We should look after him.

If we get a low 2 or high 3 for Hoyer i would take it, and use it to trade up in 2013.

2 - Wide Receiver
Yes, i am very keen on Brandon Lloyd. The man i would like us to draft in addition is Joe Adams from Arkansas. Electric playmaker and will get a job on ST's. I would cut Occho and re-sign Branch as a #3 option.

I agree that Calais Campbell is a stretch. I guess he may get FT'd. However, playing for the Pats is a draw. I do think there is the good case to be made for grabbing a top FA in this area. Perhaps Mario Williams is more realistic. I do think we need to build more through the draft in this area. My dream for 2012 is a front 3 of Brookers, Wilfork and Campbell. That will not happen though!!

4 - Veteran DB
Agreed. We need a leader in this area. I like guys like Moore, Arrington et al. But i think we should take a vet in this area and at least 1 high draft pick.

Last edited:
One thing I don't want is secondary help drafted in the first 2 rounds, I'll explain why in a minute.

1A - Michael Brockers - Regardless of whether he'd be a DT in a 4-3 or a DE in a 3-4, the Patriots need another presence on the D-line next to Wilfork. Brockers has the tools to become a 5 technique DE. He won't be there for the Saints pick which is why I'd advocate trading the Saints pick AND Oakland's 2nd rounder to get him.

1B - Dont'a Hightower - As much as Spikes emerged this year, he's still a liability in coverage and isn't as smart or athletic as Hightower. Hightower gives them a potential SILB who's a complete player, and also won't have too much pressure right off the bat because he has two ILBs in front of him. This team barely lost the superbowl and has plenty of cap space, they don't need all of their early round picks to be instant contributors.

2 - Mike Brewster - This might be a reach but center is a position they need to address. Resign Connolly as the short term solution at C with Brewster as the long term solution.

3 - Brandon Taylor - It's a question whether or not he'd be available as his status is unclear but he's a huge sleeper who IMO should be an early pick.

4 - Sean Spence - He's too small to be a 3-4 linebacker (OLB or ILB) but he'd be useful in 4-3 formations, or if BB decides to stick to a base 4-3 D. He's also a guy who'd be picked much earlier if it wasn't for the mess he was involved with at the U.

5 - DeVier Posey - Like Spence, would be going much higher if not for being in the middle of a blown out of proportion NCAA scandal (who cares if he sold his own memorabilia?). Extremely talented especially for this late of a pick.

6 - Darius Fleming - Senior year killed his draft stock but still has good talent.

Even though secondary help is maybe the biggest need on the team, it doesn't make sense to use another 1st or 2nd rounder in the secondary. Here's the 6 1st and 2nd round picks in the secondary since 2006:

Brandon Meriweather
Terrance Wheatley
Patrick Chung
Darius Butler
Devin McCourty
Ras-I Dowling

Of those six, 2 of them were cut after two seasons, 1 of them showed major potential but never took the next step and was cut after four seasons, 2 of them looked like studs last year but regressed a lot this year, and 1 spent his rookie year on IR with the jury still being out on him. All in all, those 6 players have given a lot less production than what you'd expect from 2 late first rounders and 4 early second rounders. You certainly wouldn't expect a team that's used so many early picks in the secondary since 2006 to have such a crappy secondary.

If you look at the secondary when they were winning superbowls, it was for the most part guys who were already established when Belichick became coach (Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy), or guys who were signed as free agents when they were already veterans (Rodney Harrison, Tye Poole), with Samuel and Eugene Wilson being the two exceptions. Point being that Belichick has been a lot more effective at improving the secondary with already established veterans than through the draft, so my overall point is that they'd be better off addressing the secondary through free agency with a veteran safety.

Free Agency-

WR - Reggie Wayne - Of the receivers who've clicked well with Brady, they've all had great route running ability, a high football intelligence, and a willingness to always play within the system (Moss is the exception to this but that's irrelevant since there isn't a receiver available with Moss's physical ability). Fortunately last season drives his price down a little bit, and no team will offer him long term money with his age. They should be able to get him at a reasonable price. Brandon Lloyd, DeSean Jackson and Vincent Jackson would all be horrible fits with this team. Bowe might have the most potential out of any FA receiver but would cost a lot.

CB - Richard Marshall - McCourty and Arrington should be the #1 and #2 corner next season. They both had their bad moments last year but they've been relatively successful and they both defend the run. The problem is at nickel and depth. Marshall like them defends the run well and is a huge upgrade at nickel. McCourty, Arrington, Marshall, Moore, and Dowling is a good group, and Marshall can play emergency safety.

Safety - Whoever the best available free safety is - And no, it's not Dashon Goldson. Unfortunately this is a piss poor free agency class at safety and it's not like draft is stocked with safeties either. After teams make roster cuts they should sign whoever the best coverage safety is as that's by far their biggest need.

I'll use all the picks just because it's too hard to speculate trades.

1a: Fletcher Cox DL, Mississippi State:

4615624_orig.jpg

Need playmakers on defense, and I think this kid could be a gem. Great size, burst and power.

1b: Chase Minnifield CB Virginia:

596133467.jpg

Go back to the well at CB. Good size, versatile in coverage. Solid all around player.

2a: Peter Konz OL Wisconsin:

9175430.jpg

Youth at the Center position. Koppen resigned though for one more year/as needed or alternatively Connelly is resigned and Koppen is let go unless he takes low cash because he can't get starter pay elsewhere.

2b: Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma:

424768102.jpg

If the injury checks out the young Deion Branch to replace the old Deion Branch. I'm a big OU fan (see every game living in Norman) this guy is legit. Great hands, very athletic. Runs precise, quick routes. One of the best receivers to ever play at OU imo.

3: Markelle Martin FS Oklahoma State:

5293625.jpg

We need a Free safety not a Strong safety like Barron. This guy is a mild upgrade over James Ihedigbo and will turn into a big upgrade within a year or two. He's got the skills.

MORE Defense and Grizzlies!! LOVE it!! :rocker:

One thing I don't want is secondary help drafted in the first 2 rounds, I'll explain why in a minute.

1A - Michael Brockers -

633314850.jpg

Regardless of whether he'd be a DT in a 4-3 or a DE in a 3-4, the Patriots need another presence on the D-line next to Wilfork. Brockers has the tools to become a 5 technique DE. He won't be there for the Saints pick which is why I'd advocate trading the Saints pick AND Oakland's 2nd rounder to get him.

1B - Dont'a Hightower -

578767687.jpg

As much as Spikes emerged this year, he's still a liability in coverage and isn't as smart or athletic as Hightower. Hightower gives them a potential SILB who's a complete player, and also won't have too much pressure right off the bat because he has two ILBs in front of him. This team barely lost the superbowl and has plenty of cap space, they don't need all of their early round picks to be instant contributors.

2 - Mike Brewster -

285995449.jpg

This might be a reach but center is a position they need to address. Resign Connolly as the short term solution at C with Brewster as the long term solution.

3 - Brandon Taylor -

171863173.jpg

It's a question whether or not he'd be available as his status is unclear but he's a huge sleeper who IMO should be an early pick.

4 - Sean Spence -

178465426.jpg

He's too small to be a 3-4 linebacker (OLB or ILB) but he'd be useful in 4-3 formations, or if BB decides to stick to a base 4-3 D. He's also a guy who'd be picked much earlier if it wasn't for the mess he was involved with at the U.

5 - DeVier Posey -

127029587.jpg

Like Spence, would be going much higher if not for being in the middle of a blown out of proportion NCAA scandal (who cares if he sold his own memorabilia?). Extremely talented especially for this late of a pick.

6 - Darius Fleming -

252452385.jpg

Senior year killed his draft stock but still has good talent.

Even though secondary help is maybe the biggest need on the team, it doesn't make sense to use another 1st or 2nd rounder in the secondary. Here's the 6 1st and 2nd round picks in the secondary since 2006:

Brandon Meriweather
Terrance Wheatley
Patrick Chung
Darius Butler
Devin McCourty
Ras-I Dowling

Of those six, 2 of them were cut after two seasons, 1 of them showed major potential but never took the next step and was cut after four seasons, 2 of them looked like studs last year but regressed a lot this year, and 1 spent his rookie year on IR with the jury still being out on him. All in all, those 6 players have given a lot less production than what you'd expect from 2 late first rounders and 4 early second rounders. You certainly wouldn't expect a team that's used so many early picks in the secondary since 2006 to have such a crappy secondary.

If you look at the secondary when they were winning superbowls, it was for the most part guys who were already established when Belichick became coach (Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy), or guys who were signed as free agents when they were already veterans (Rodney Harrison, Tye Poole), with Samuel and Eugene Wilson being the two exceptions. Point being that Belichick has been a lot more effective at improving the secondary with already established veterans than through the draft, so my overall point is that they'd be better off addressing the secondary through free agency with a veteran safety.

Free Agency-

WR - Reggie Wayne -

Wayne2.jpg

Of the receivers who've clicked well with Brady, they've all had great route running ability, a high football intelligence, and a willingness to always play within the system (Moss is the exception to this but that's irrelevant since there isn't a receiver available with Moss's physical ability). Fortunately last season drives his price down a little bit, and no team will offer him long term money with his age. They should be able to get him at a reasonable price. Brandon Lloyd, DeSean Jackson and Vincent Jackson would all be horrible fits with this team. Bowe might have the most potential out of any FA receiver but would cost a lot.

CB - Richard Marshall -

JN2_1574_1316372400.jpg

McCourty and Arrington should be the #1 and #2 corner next season. They both had their bad moments last year but they've been relatively successful and they both defend the run. The problem is at nickel and depth. Marshall like them defends the run well and is a huge upgrade at nickel. McCourty, Arrington, Marshall, Moore, and Dowling is a good group, and Marshall can play emergency safety.

Safety - Whoever the best available free safety is - And no, it's not Dashon Goldson. Unfortunately this is a piss poor free agency class at safety and it's not like draft is stocked with safeties either. After teams make roster cuts they should sign whoever the best coverage safety is as that's by far their biggest need.

Terrific presentation!! :rocker:

Free Agency

- Resign Welker
- Sign Pierre Garcon
- Sign Brandon Lloyd
- Sign Dashon Golston

Draft

- Trade 27 back into the 2nd round.

- 1a Alameda Ta'amu

- 2a. Coby Fleener

- 2b. Cam Johnson

- 3 George Iloka

- Senio Kelemete

late round binkies
- Greg Childs
- Devon Wylie
- Emil Igwenagu

While I'd like to get a stud Center I just dont see the next mangold in this draft, the closest thing would be to grab DeCastro and groom him at Center but I'm not sure the price would be in BB's range, unless a Mallett trade happens that gives us much more draft capital to work with.

Last edited:
Let's look at the draft and take into considerations what should and could happen. The ideas are really not that unreasonable.
1. Pats sign Brandon Lloyd
2. Hoyer is traded and the Pats get a 2nd round pick. Teams like the Redskins could be very interested.
3. Pats resign Welker , Carter, Anderson, Connolly and Branch

1a. Fletcher Cox - DL -starts the whole process of rebuilding the DL Four time SEC player of the week is good enough for me.
1b. Dont'a Hightower - LB - big, tough, versatile and could make the Pats the best LB group in football.
2a. From trade with the Redskins for Hoyer getting 39th pick overall.
Zack Brown - OLB - He has already dropped to 2nd round in many mocks and could he play a unique role with the Pats? Has 4.4 speed and is faster than many safeties. Will BB use him as both as a WLB who can also cover can cover TE, rb and possibly WRs on defense...Its must an idea and you never know with BB. He is a complementary player to Hightower.
2b. Jerel Worthy - DL - second DL picked and allows the Pats to develop a strong future DL tandem.
2c. Reuben Randle, WR, LSU - Size, speed, ability and seen him listed from the31st to 68th pick - he may be avialable
3. George Iloka - Big player who once was a CB and can play right next to Chung. Pats haven't had a player with his size and toughness since Harrison. This allows McCourty and Dowling to be the starting cbs next year.
4. Ben Jones - C - Pats sign Connolly as a versatile reserve and Ben Jones takes over as center. Pats rebuilding of the OL is complete.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back