PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WTF was Chung doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF people? If you don't expect your safety to break up that play, then don't ever expect to see a stout defense in New England again. 15 yards tacked on? Huh? How about a jolting, dislodging, clean hit instead? And, if the refs want to call a 15 yarder then fine - its 15 yards instead of 30.

Ballard made an amazing catch. I would have preferred Chung to go after the player instead of the ball, but I also can't blame him too much for thinking Ballard didn't have a shot to catch it. If it was thrown 6" farther Chung would have had a pick with a good chance to take it back for a score.

really, what about when they shut down the TE's in the first few games of the season were they terrible then.....Gates, etc?

they aren't great in coverage but they certainly aren't horrible either. Was he too passive on that play absolutely, but heck everyone has an off play/games even Ed "all world" Reed.

no disrespect but Gates had 0 rec in that game because of injury he missed the next 3 games after that, he was no way neer 100% in that game

really, what about when they shut down the TE's in the first few games of the season were they terrible then.....Gates, etc?

they aren't great in coverage but they certainly aren't horrible either. Was he too passive on that play absolutely, but heck everyone has an off play/games even Ed "all world" Reed.

Gates was hurt, and he was double covered. These safeties suck in coverage. Every one of them.

IMO it would take a ed reed type player to make a play on that ball

No, it wouldn't have. It would have taken a safety with instincts to dislodge passes rather than intercept them. I think a lot of you need to see the replay view of this play again, then post your comments about how disgusted you are with Chung's effort.

Ballard made an amazing catch. I would have preferred Chung to go after the player instead of the ball, but I also can't blame him too much for thinking Ballard didn't have a shot to catch it. If it was thrown 6" farther Chung would have had a pick with a good chance to take it back for a score.

Does someone have the slow motion replay to show just how badly Chung misplayed this pass?

No, it wouldn't have. It would have taken a safety with instincts to dislodge passes rather than intercept them. I think a lot of you need to see the replay view of this play again, then post your comments about how disgusted you are with Chung's effort.

if he just would have went for the big hit to dislodge the ball he would have knocked he's own guy out or got fined $15,000 for hitting a defenseless receiver

if he just would have went for the big hit to dislodge the ball he would have knocked he's own guy out or got fined $15,000 for hitting a defenseless receiver

Listen, if that is the type of play you expect from a Patriots' safety, then there should be no angst over this defense. That was a horrible play by Chung, actually worse, it was incomprehensible that a "hard hitting" safety could react that way in that circumstance. Good God man, please look at the play again (the slow motion replay that they provided if you can) before you post again.

Last edited:
Listen, if that is the type of play you expect from a Patriots' safety, then there should be no angst over this defense. That was a horrible play by Chung, actually worse, it was incomprehensible that a "hard hitting" safety could react that way in that circumstance.

i never said i liked the defense i said chung was a average safety who is not good in coverage in my original post but that was a good catch by the TE

Does someone have the slow motion replay to show just how badly Chung misplayed this pass?

They replayed it like 5 times during the game. He thought it was overthrown. That was pretty clear. Ballard made a great play to catch it.

Last edited:
I put a ruler on my TV screen.

Makes as much sense as anything else you've posted. I don't know when a TE making a jumping catch on a seam route became so amazing to you, but you can see Gronk make that same play, or one like it, pretty much every game.

Last edited:
They replayed it like 5 times during the game. He thought it was overthrown.

Exactly, and each time I was yelling, "WTF Chung? Why are you bunny hopping? Why didn't you hit him? WTF did you do???? You just blew the fu------ game!!!!"

Evidently, each time you were saying, "perfectly understandable, he "thought" it was overthrown. Normal, expected play by a safety. I like bunnies. Oh well, better luck next time......"

Last edited:
Chung is playing with a meekness not a nasty streak in his game. Despite idiots like Ryan Clark patrolling the backfield, that "hurt factor" needs to be there from the Safeties.

Frankly, the entire Patriots team is soft as butter. There's no swagger, nastiness or put your throat on an opponents throat and crush the larynx about them. It's like BB has put together a bunch of nice guys to introduce to prospective mother and father in laws, not the neighbourhood bully who wants to fight you because you looked at him the wrong way.

Gates was hurt, and he was double covered. These safeties suck in coverage. Every one of them.
Yep. Chung should have run straight through Ballard. It never even entered his mind I'll wager.

Last edited:
It never even entered his mind I'll wager.

That's what scares the crap out of me and transcends this play beyond merely horrible.

I think it's fair to say that Chung on most NFL teams is a low depth backup safety but on this team he is the best one.

That pretty much sums up a half assed embarrassing group of pigs at Safety

I remember when this group was one of the strongest areas of this team,now its almost a certainty we desperately need to use a #1 for this position...maybe even 2 early picks for there.

Exactly, and each time I was yelling, "WTF Chung? Why are you bunny hopping? Why didn't you hit him? WTF did you do???? You just blew the fu------ game!!!!"

Evidently, each time you were saying, "perfectly understandable, he "thought" it was overthrown. Normal, expected play by a safety. I like bunnies. Oh well, better luck next time......"

I certainly didn't get all worked up about it. I wish he judged the play better. Hardly disgraceful. That kind of thing happens in almost every NFL game. It happened at a pretty crappy time in this case.

Chung is playing with a meekness not a nasty streak in his game. Despite idiots like Ryan Clark patrolling the backfield, that "hurt factor" needs to be there from the Safeties.

Frankly, the entire Patriots team is soft as butter. There's no swagger, nastiness or put your throat on an opponents throat and crush the larynx about them. It's like BB has put together a bunch of nice guys to introduce to prospective mother and father in laws, not the neighbourhood bully who wants to fight you because you looked at him the wrong way.

Yep. Chung should have run straight through Ballard. It never even entered his mind I'll wager.

I think that's a load of crap. If Chung thinks he can make a pick, he should go for the pick. He had to make a split-second decision, he didn't think Ballard could get to the ball. Chung hasn't shown any propensity to avoid hits, so it's pretty ridiculous to say hitting him never went through his mind.

I see safeties miss plays on the ball on a regular basis to go for a big hit. It's a terrible decision IMO. You can always make a big hit on a guy who has already caught the ball. At least pay attention enough to know whether you have a play on the ball.

Makes as much sense as anything else you've posted. I don't know when a TE making a jumping catch on a seam route became so amazing to you, but you can see Gronk make that same play, or one like it, pretty much every game.

You didn't think it was a tight play?

You didn't think it was a tight play?

As I said, Gronk makes that same play game after game. It's a tight end up the seam with the ball thrown just a bit high.

As I said, Gronk makes that same play game after game. It's a tight end up the seam with the ball thrown just a bit high.

Exactly...thrown a bit high.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case