PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
After pissing away what would have been the perfect #2 in Boldin, my hope is as follows:

1. Deal our high #2 for Brandon Marshall, ink him long term, eat the heavy Moss/Marshall salaries for only one year and let Randy walk after the season, now we have the younger Marshall as TB's #1 to finish his career over the next 5 years. Hello Superbowl.......

2. Bring in TO and enjoy a circus-like, carnival-like, unstoppable offense for the 2010-2011 NFL season. How fun would that be. Deal with potential headaches and have a freakin ball watching this offense steamroll people, including the Jets. Doing this would require us to draft a Golden Tate or Damien Williams to groom into that #1 role.

3. Bring in Mason (and this is option 3). Although he's not Boldin, he would be a decent compliment to Moss and a proven vet who runs precise routes, gets open with good hands.

4. Option 4, do nothing, draft a WR and basically hand the Jets the division title, without a proven #2, Fat Rex will literally have his way with us. I can see the fat ba$tard laughing already as he's completely shutting us down with his revamped secondary and pressure defense.

#1 + draft Tate or Williams or Demaryrius Thomas (if inj. is cleared) or Benn with a 2nd round pick; or Taylor Price or whomever later

:)
I never pencil in potential draft picks. The patriots try to assemble a team before the draft, so that there is complete freedom in using the draft to secure maximum value.

With regard to Golden Tate, my guess is that he will be gone before we pick. If he were available, Belichick would probably trade down and let someone else pick Tate. I justy don't see using a first for a wide receiver.

I'm a homer; I admit. But we need a redo for 06 draft. We need a RB, WR and TE for the offense in the draft.

[

But like it or not, we have 4 picks that are the equivalent of first rounders.[/QUOTE]

What are you smoking ? Even with 3 2nd rounders, Pats will be lucky to get 1 good starter.......Their Rd 2 draft history is completely abysmal.

This team is heading into mediocrity and fast....There is no under 30 young playmaker on Defense, nor on Offense.

I can't believe that people can't understand how teams build in the NFL.

If you give up draft picks to sign guys to $10 million contracts repeatedly, you'll never win. Randy Moss is great and I love having him, but we got him for a fourth.

if the Patriots bust on the four top picks in this year's draft, they will have no one else to blame.

If fans are expecting they will bust, then why bother watching at all?

You have four top picks. You better make the most of them.

Plain and simple.

Otherwise, you will never have a top team.

And do you not realize that this is the strongest draft in ages?

Its either going to be Josh Reed or T.O. Take your pick.

It could be Randel El or Mason. Take your pick :D

I forgot about Randel El. Good #3 receiver who is 30 compared to 36.

I remember him being a positive, funny guy in the lockeroom, which would be a +. (Sunday Night Football showed him tour the lockeroom once, funny dude)

Last edited:
I forgot about Randel El. Good #3 receiver who is 30 compared to 36.

I remember him being a positive, funny guy in the lockeroom, which would be a +. (Sunday Night Football showed him tour the lockeroom once, funny dude)

He is younger..... but hasn't had the production Mason has.

I can't believe that people can't understand how teams build in the NFL.

If you give up draft picks to sign guys to $10 million contracts repeatedly, you'll never win. Randy Moss is great and I love having him, but we got him for a fourth.

if the Patriots bust on the four top picks in this year's draft, they will have no one else to blame.

If fans are expecting they will bust, then why bother watching at all?

You have four top picks. You better make the most of them.

Plain and simple.

Otherwise, you will never have a top team.

And do you not realize that this is the strongest draft in ages?

Doom and Gloom closet Jet fans UP1.

This draft is super deep and blue chip players are going to fall to the Pats. Belichick revamped the roster in 09 and still NE went 10 - 6 with a shoddy run game and 2 option recieving corp.

Doom and Gloom closet Jet fans UP1.

This draft is super deep and blue chip players are going to fall to the Pats. Belichick revamped the roster in 09 and still NE went 10 - 6 with a shoddy run game and 2 option recieving corp.

We don't need to reinvent the wheel anymore than the Colts did last offseason. Last offseason, Manning was coming off an injury and they were a quick exit in the playoffs. They got a rookie WR :D and a rookie RB :D .

Now I'm not saying we don't need short-term FA, but teams can be improved if you draft well.

We don't need to reinvent the wheel anymore than the Colts did last offseason. Last offseason, Manning was coming off an injury and they were a quick exit in the playoffs. They got a rookie WR :D and a rookie RB :D .

Now I'm not saying we don't need short-term FA, but teams can be improved if you draft well.

Yep, Moss is likely in his last season as a NEP, Patten is winding down. Edelman is the only sure bet right now looking towards the future. Tate hasnt shown a thing and Welker may never be the same.

Give Brady a WR corp like Manning.

Arnaz Battle would be a perfect fit in this offense. I was derided by someone earlier for suggesting dollar-for-dollar he would be better value than Boldin, but I honestly feel it's true.

Not sure why he didn't mesh with the Singletery offensive scheme, but the guy would be David Givens Pt. 2 in the Pats offense. Only issue with him is health, but he would be low risk guy to bring in with starting experience.

All I know is every time I'd watch the Niners, Battle would be making the tough catches, goes across the middle, has enough moves to make guys miss and plays strong.

He's had visits with Seahawks and Steelers. Hopefully they bring him to to Foxboro.

There are quite a few candidates IMO, if we can't find an adequate #3 for a second straight year that would be a big one on the FO. Some of the guys I'm interested in (in addition to hopefully drafting a WR on day 1):

Mason as mentioned
Laverneous Coles - Subpar year in Cincy, but that's Cincy. Aside from that he has durable and consistent for a number of years.
TO as mentioned
Branch as has been suggested
David Givens though I'm not sure his status, if he's able to play or wants to. If he is would definitely hope they'd take a look at him.

And I'm sure there are others, too lazy to go through the list right now. Bryant may be too expensive, I think he'll cost at least what Boldin has, which we passed up on. And he's got the same durability concerns with a worse attitude.

Last edited:
What he patriots need is a number two that can and keep the safeties honest and give Moss a chance to do what he does best -- get open deep. On and someone who can understand the offense which seems to require a lot of option routes. I'd love to see Branch back if for no other reason than he and Brady had a great understanding of each other

I like Derrick Mason a lot, but his age is a bit of a concern. He probably has another good year left, but I think he's just going to stay in Baltimore.

There are actually a number of options besides Mason. The guys I wouldn't mind seeing here:

Laverneus Coles - he worked out pretty well for Mangini. The question is whether he'd be willing to play for what the Pats are willing to pay.

Chris Chambers - same deal as with Coles. Had success in a similar offense last year, but what does he want for money?

Randle El - good WR, but seems a little too similar to Welker and Edelman.

Josh Reed - maybe the closest thing on the market to Jabar Gaffney.

Branch - if he gets cut, which eventually he should, he'd fit in well.

I don't know much about this year but if Moss is on his way out as we can expect him to be then if I am BB,I am at the prison talking to Burress about coming aboard before he is even released.

I'd be very surprised (and angry) if Patten makes the team. He is the PAST, as is Dion Branch.

Mason would have been great, WHEN he was younger. Pass on him.

I say, trade-up in the draft to be a stud WR.

Those 3 2nd-rounders must be: DE/OLB, DT, TE.

here is a list of some guys still on the market.

Terrell Owens, the pats should take a look at him but i think he ends up in cincy.

Chris Chambers, he would be ok as a #3

Antonio Bryant, would step in and be the #2 and a big upgrade over with the pats have.

Domenik Hixon, ok #3 or 4

Torry Holt, would be a good #3

Laveranues Coles, good #3

Mike Furrey, ok #4

not a whole lot left out there.

Mason would be the ideal stop gap along with Patten giving us two guys who play the game the way it should be, all in, and one thoroughly familiar with the system. Branch would be another stop gap who could easily be the #2 heading into this season and #3-4 if there is a 2011 season or in 2012 if not. Mason may not have more than a year left, Patten may not have that. But Mason is durable and while he's taken a beating of late he still muster's game (or as our QB says he pushes through it). That makes him a shining example for some youngsters like Tate and hopefully a second round WR...

If we entered the season with Moss, Mason, Branch, Edleman and Tate/Rookie/Patten we'd be in good shape pending a midseason or even later return of Welker. And if there is a 2011 we'd be entering that season with Welker, Branch, Edleman, Tate and a second year WR...

I'm afraid that Mason may be damaged goods at this point; but what about Kevin Walter? He's my #1 FA WR target. He's younger, faster, can play outside, and has decent hands. He'll prob. cost a bunch, maybe even - gulp - TBC money. Edit: Never mind; just found out that Walter re-signed with Houston. Too bad.

If not Walter, how about Randle-El? Can he play outside, or is he more a slot guy, which we don't need? For that reason I'm not as thrilled at the Josh Reed possibility.

I still would've signed Stallworth & Matt Jones as inexpensive risks, and as Mo says, we need one of those 2nd-round WRs too...and a couple of 7th-round/UDFAs, while we're at it.

Last edited:
Haha,
best post of the week.

Lucky for us, we'll have ST ace Sam Aiken going against Cromartie. Brady2Aiken>Manning2Wayne+Clark+Garcon+Collie+Gonzelez. :rolleyes:

I don't know much about this year but if Moss is on his way out as we can expect him to be then if I am BB,I am at the prison talking to Burress about coming aboard before he is even released.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST