PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a #1 (Moss) and a #3 receiver (Edelman). We have the #5 WR position covered between Tate, Patten, Aiken (or even Stanback). We many be counting on this group and a draftee to be our #4 and #5.

I think that we need a #2 and a #4. The #4 needs to be able to start if there is an injury to Moss or the #2. If we know that Tate is healthy, then we have our #4.
==================
The bottom line is that we are fine in expecting #3 production from Edelman. We badly need a #2.

Stay with our one year deal approach and bring in TO to get teams triple coverage off of Moss, no wonder why Randy was pissed he had nothing on the other side of the field to keep the triple blankets off of him all game long.

TO and Randy get their rings, they move on and we bring in the WR we draft this year along with Brandon Tate to be the replacements to pair up with Welker.

Best Options now after blowing our chance at Boldin are as follows:

1. TO on a 1-year deal
2. Trade our high #2 to Josh for Brandon Marshall
3. Antonio Bryant
4. Derrick Mason (last resort)

Anything else and we're screwed against that NY defense.........

Last edited:
In 06 Team let Branch walk (difference of 2 sides about $1MM/yr apart), Brady had Brown, Caldwell and Gaffney for 1/2/3 wrs. In 2009, team let Gaffney walk (for <$1MM/yr apart); after failed experiments Lewis and Galloway, Brady had to play Aiken and Stanback. Now, team makes no efforts to sign Boldin for only 3rd round pick.

If I was in Brady's shoes, I would think of playing elsewhere for a team that takes its WR core (and QB's safety) a little more seriously.

Give Brady a WR corp like Manning.

Last edited:
There are still free agent wide receivers available, but most are either going to be costly and/or have big question marks.

Brandon Marshall, 26 - 1st round tender
Miles Austin, 26 - 1st & 3rd tender
Vincent Jackson, 27 - 1st & 3rd tender
Braylon Edwards, 27 - 1st & 3rd tender
Antonio Bryant, 29
Derrick Mason, 36
Terrell Owens, 36
Lance Moore, 27 - 2nd round tender
Steve Breaston, 27 - 1st round tender
Jason Avant, 27 - 2nd round tender
Malcolm Floyd, 28 - 1st & 3rd tender
Domenik Hixon, 25 - 2nd round tender
Chris Chambers, 32
Antwaan Randle-El, 31
Josh Reed, 30
Hank Baskett, 27
Laveranues Coles, 32
Torry Holt, 34
Bobby Wade, 29
Mike Furrey, 33
Mushin Muhammed, 37
Maurice Stovall, 25 - 3rd round tender
Demetrius Williams, 27 - 4th round tender
Jerheme Urban, 29
Kelley Washington, 31
Plaxico Burress, 33 - if he can get a work furlough

Now, team makes no efforts to sign Boldin for only 3rd round pick.

If I was in Brady's shoes, I would think of playing elsewhere for a team that takes its WR core (and QB's safety) a little more seriously.
I seriously doubt that the 3rd round pick was what kept the Pats (or any other team) from trading for Boldin; it was primarily his contract, and to a lesser extent his health and age.

I wouldn't touch Chris Chambers with a stick. He has one of the worst set of hands in the NFL and he's on the wrong side of 30, he's 32. I think he's done.

KC is desperate for WR talent and they cut him, that tells you a lot right there if Pioli doesn't think Chambers can hack it anymore.

So both AJ Smith and Pioli, two of the shrewdest evaluators of talent in the NFL, decided that Chambers is not worth having on their 53 man roster. I would tend to agree with their judgment as well.

Last edited:
Best Options now after blowing our chance at Boldin are as follows:

1. TO on a 1-year deal
2. Trade our high #2 to Josh for Brandon Marshall
3. Antonio Bryant
4. Derrick Mason (last resort)

Anything else and we're screwed against that NY defense.........
Pretty much.

I can't believe that people can't understand how teams build in the NFL.

If you give up draft picks to sign guys to $10 million contracts repeatedly, you'll never win. Randy Moss is great and I love having him, but we got him for a fourth.

if the Patriots bust on the four top picks in this year's draft, they will have no one else to blame.

If fans are expecting they will bust, then why bother watching at all?

You have four top picks. You better make the most of them.

Plain and simple.

Otherwise, you will never have a top team.

And do you not realize that this is the strongest draft in ages?

Cousin. I respect your viewpoint. This stops me dead-18% success rate of a Draft choice being a more than average roster filler, cut or go to another team.
8 2010 choices =2 good changes of picks who might fair well ....within three years.
DW Toys

Laveraneus Coles wouldn't be so bad.

There are still free agent wide receivers available, but most are either going to be costly and/or have big question marks.

Antonio Bryant, 29
Derrick Mason, 36
Terrell Owens, 36
Chris Chambers, 32
Antwaan Randle-El, 31
Josh Reed, 30
Hank Baskett, 27
Laveranues Coles, 32
Torry Holt, 34
Bobby Wade, 29
Mike Furrey, 33
Mushin Muhammed, 37
Jerheme Urban, 29
Kelley Washington, 31

Good list. Of those I'd make a move at Vincent Jackson or Marshall. Or even Lance Moore with one of those seconds.

VJax might be a smart play, as if they do get him they hurt the Chargers, have Moss's replacement and one of if not the best WR corp in the NFL for 2010 when Welker gets back.

Then you can use all the second round picks on defense. Seems like a smart move to me.

Antonio Bryant, 29
Derrick Mason, 36
Terrell Owens, 36
Chris Chambers, 32
Antwaan Randle-El, 31
Josh Reed, 30
Hank Baskett, 27
Laveranues Coles, 32
Torry Holt, 34
Bobby Wade, 29
Mike Furrey, 33
Mushin Muhammed, 37
Jerheme Urban, 29
Kelley Washington, 31

The NFL Network was discussing Brandon Marshall yesterday and they all agreed he was a better value than any number one choice in this years Draft. Pain in the A**? Yes. Talent? Yes. I would spend the #22 on him. Tell me in all reality a better pick for value at #22? Josh would tell BB the detailed good and bad of this kid. Maybe he will grow up with a change in scenery? I don't want him because he is a big name. Just more talent than anyone else on your list and young. Maybe a better locker room guy than Antonio Bryant.

Now you have TB throwing top him rather than Orton (and he caught over 100 from Orton!!!). Moss has this year and perhaps an additional two on a resign. Can he learn from Randy who BB says is the smartest WR he has ever coached?

I go back and forth on this but would Marshall make the Pats a better team in 2010?...Ask yourself this question....unquestionably yes! With all of his antics he still caught over 100 last year. He is the #1 receiver who will replace Moss and he is only 26. If Dez Bryant was available at #22 we would want to pick him up. Not one NFL down and we have to give him at least $14.6 for 5 years and $9m guaranteed. Bryant versus Marshall is the same type of gamble as they are both knuckleheads but Marshall will cost $8m+ but then again look at the upside and production. He's 4 years younger than the oft injured Boldin who required $7m+. The key is upfront money to Marshall. I say three years max.

I can't stand the infantile part of Marshall but he is without doubt the best receiver on the 2010 NFL "Draft Board" so to speak. We used to have the vets to keep him on track. I don't know if we do now. I would not want him to have diner in my house but I have to look at this realistically and say...wow, he is a Team changer for us in 2010, and Lombardi even notes he makes sense for the Pats.

I am back and fourth like I say but he could be the biggest bargain of 2010. By fare he might just be THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE, DRAFT OR NOT.
DW Toys

The NFL Network was discussing Brandon Marshall yesterday and they all agreed he was a better value than any number one choice in this years Draft. Pain in the A**? Yes. Talent? Yes. I would spend the #22 on him. Tell me in all reality a better pick for value at #22? Josh would tell BB the detailed good and bad of this kid. Maybe he will grow up with a change in scenery? I don't want him because he is a big name. Just more talent than anyone else on your list and young. Maybe a better locker room guy than Antonio Bryant.

Now you have TB throwing top him rather than Orton (and he caught over 100 from Orton!!!). Moss has this year and perhaps an additional two on a resign. Can he learn from Randy who BB says is the smartest WR he has ever coached?

I go back and forth on this but would Marshall make the Pats a better team in 2010?...Ask yourself this question....unquestionably yes! With all of his antics he still caught over 100 last year. He is the #1 receiver who will replace Moss and he is only 26. If Dez Bryant was available at #22 we would want to pick him up. Not one NFL down and we have to give him at least $14.6 for 5 years and $9m guaranteed. Bryant versus Marshall is the same type of gamble as they are both knuckleheads but Marshall will cost $8m+ but then again look at the upside and production. He's 4 years younger than the oft injured Boldin who required $7m+. The key is upfront money to Marshall. I say three years max.

I can't stand the infantile part of Marshall but he is without doubt the best receiver on the 2010 NFL "Draft Board" so to speak. We used to have the vets to keep him on track. I don't know if we do now. I would not want him to have diner in my house but I have to look at this realistically and say...wow, he is a Team changer for us in 2010, and Lombardi even notes he makes sense for the Pats.

I am back and fourth like I say but he could be the biggest bargain of 2010. By fare he might just be THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE, DRAFT OR NOT.
DW Toys

clap2u.gif
clap2u.gif
clap2u.gif
clap2u.gif
clap2u.gif
clap2u.gif
clap2u.gif
clap2u.gif
clap2u.gif
clap2u.gif

With the talk of Moss leaving in 2011, what would we be left with!?

Marshall would be a direct replacement when if that should happen.

Last edited:
The NFL Network was discussing Brandon Marshall yesterday and they all agreed he was a better value than any number one choice in this years Draft. Pain in the A**? Yes. Talent? Yes. I would spend the #22 on him. Tell me in all reality a better pick for value at #22?

Can he learn from Randy who BB says is the smartest WR he has ever coached?

He might just be THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE, DRAFT OR NOT.
DW Toys

We will never hear what McD tells BB (if anything) about Marshall, unfortunately. This is one offseason when I would really like to be a fly on the wall and listen in to the Pats' discussions. That would be so entertaining and instructional.

Can you imagine Moss-Marshall-WW/Edelman-Tate-Patten! Defensive Coordinators across the league would be s h itten their britches!

PJ isn't here so I'll say it for him...SIGN THE BEAST!

:singing: :rocker: :singing:

DW Toys

I'm with you. Marshall has caught 100+ balls three straight years. And that's with only playing in 15 games each of the last two years. I'll take that kind of "headache" any day of the week ...

Let's put it this way -- if the Pats trade for Marshall and make no other moves, they would immediately be the prohibitive SB favorites in Vegas.

I'm with you. Marshall has caught 100+ balls three straight years. And that's with only playing in 15 games each of the last two years. I'll take that kind of "headache" any day of the week ...

Let's put it this way -- if the Pats trade for Marshall and make no other moves, they would immediately be the prohibitive SB favorites in Vegas.
Yeah, I agree; after looking at the list of who is available, Marshall seems to be the best answer at WR. Three straight years of 100+ receptions, averaging about 1240 yards and 8 TD per year. Do that, then turn the focus to the pass rush and re-signing Bodden.

Perhaps, but we'd be an extreemly bad bet. We would have replaced Welker with Marshall and have the same defense as 2009, except we'd have lost Bodden.

.Let's put it this way -- if the Pats trade for Marshall and make no other moves, they would immediately be the prohibitive SB favorites in Vegas.

Cousin. I respect your viewpoint. This stops me dead-18% success rate of a Draft choice being a more than average roster filler, cut or go to another team.
8 2010 choices =2 good changes of picks who might fair well ....within three years.
DW Toys

The percentage is much higher on second round picks, obviously. And that's without accounting for the fact that this draft is loaded with historic talent due to the CBA uncertainty and players wanting to get in ahead of any potential cap.

Bottom line, any team that wants to win in the NFL needs its draft picks to perform big and perform early on their rookie contracts. If you don't think the Pats can make that happen, then you're implicitly stating that the Pats can't build a winning team in the NFL. End of story.

If there's been an exception to this in recent history, it's the '07 Pats, who still had Wilfork, Meriweather, Mankins, Maroney, Gay, Samuel, Wilson, Gostkowski, Watson, Kaczur, Sanders, and Hobbs all make major contributions under rookie deals/franchise tag

Last edited:
Perhaps, but we'd be an extreemly bad bet. We would have replaced Welker with Marshall and have the same defense as 2009, except we'd have lost Bodden.

It's not a Marshall-for-Welker swap at all. Edelman replaces Welker for the first half of the year. And given what we saw last year, I'd say Edelman can perform to about 75% of Welker's ability, and that's a conservative number.

Marshall is replacing Sam Aiken. I won't even bother to quantify the difference in production there.

There is a better line up and it has one year NFL experience. Manning to Wayne, Clark, Garcon, Collie, Gonzelez.

And NFL coaches including BB and Rex Ryan are having nightmares about it.
Can you imagine Moss-Marshall-WW/Edelman-Tate-Patten! Defensive Coordinators across the league would be s h itten their britches!

Last edited:
There is a better line up and it has one year NFL experience. Manning to Wayne, Clark, Garcon, Collie, Gonzelez.

And NFL coaches including BB and Rex Ryan are having nightmares about it.

And what about Sean Payton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore