PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? If you think a first year coach with a Napoleon-syndrome is in the same league as Belichick in handling problem players, then you really need to think a little harder.

The only reason McDaniels didn't lose total control of his team last year was by trading Cutler and, by miracle, winning his first 6 games with Orton, then by benching Marshall, his best TE, and another starter with the playoffs on the line, resulting in the worst end to the season imaginable to Broncos fans.

With the proper motivation and coaching, Marshall is as good as ANYONE in this league. And yes, as a previous poster pointed out, Josh owes BB for "giving" him several of our cast-offs. The debt for that, and for mentoring him into a HC position in the NFL has not been repaid. BB is just waiting for the right time to ask.

Well, that settles that!

Last edited:
Well, that settles that!

I know right? Problem solved! Let's just collect our favor from Josh and grab Marshall. Hell, I think he should throw in Dumervil while he's at it!

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that FA isn't key to building a championship team. Of course it is. But if 42% of the team is FAs, trades, and street pick-ups, then the other 58% is guys you drafted, and you have to hit on those guys.

What do Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas, Marques Colston, Devery Henderson, Jermon Bushrod, Jahri Evans, Carl Nicks, Malcolm Jenkins, Tracy Porter, Sedrick Ellis, Will Smith, and Garrett Hartley have in common? They were all drafted (or UDFAed in Pierre's case) by the Saints, and Smith, at 28, is the only one that's older than 27. I'll agree that they skew more towards FA than most teams, but the fact stands that they wouldn't even be in that position in the first place if they weren't hitting on their draft picks.

Therefore, if the Pats want to sustain success into the future, then they have to hit on some draft picks, and hit hard. 2009 was a great start, IMO, and the four second-rounders that they have coming up give them a fantastic chance to build the foundation for another SB run. As upstater said before, rather than trying to hedge their bets, I'd rather they keep the picks and rely on them to hit on them. Because at the end of the day, if the Pats can't hit on picks, they won't remain competitive.

Everyone talks about how Greer and Sharper turned around the Saints' secondary, but I'd go out on a limb and say that Porter and Jenkins (23 and 22 y/o) had more than a little to do with it, as well.

And that's the point: even in the most extreme example, which you just gave, the Saints were only in the position to get over the hump with FA signings because they drafted *very* well over the past few years. So I stand by my original point, which is that NFL teams can't succeed without drafting well. This is likely to be less true this year, without a cap, but the cap will come back and in a capped environment you can't compete without rookies giving valuable production on cost-effective contracts.

That was a fair and reasonable reply. Thank you.
DW Toys

I think that we would be fine with Moss, Mason, Edelman/Welker and Patton/Tate.
All we really need is another version of Reche Caldwell or Jabar Gaffney.
Be the 2/3 along with Edelmen at the start until Welker is back, then be the 4. Then get phased out as either Tate or a 2010 pick steps up.
There are a bunch of guys who can do that.
We have bigger needs to be handing top dollar to.

Well, that settles that!

Josh owes Belichick a hell of a lot for where he is today, as well as for some of the players that have so easily found their way from our roster to theirs.

I used the wrong word and meant to say that I think BB is just waiting for the right situation to call in the favor. Do you think this kind of thing never happens in the NFL? When was the last time you read "Education of a Coach?"

All we really need is another version of Reche Caldwell or Jabar Gaffney.
Be the 2/3 along with Edelmen at the start until Welker is back, then be the 4. Then get phased out as either Tate or a 2010 pick steps up.
There are a bunch of guys who can do that.
We have bigger needs to be handing top dollar to.

And who replaces Moss at season's end? Our draft history at the WR position hasn't been so hot. With Marshall we get a young DIRECT replacement for Moss at season's end. Deal with the money aspect of it for one season and let Moss walk after 2010, and Marshall basically takes over for Moss in money value to the team and position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back