PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WORST QBs in Patriot History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pre-Parcells/BB era, our best QB was Steve Grogan.

But our worst QB was Bizarro Grogan. When Steve was bad (and really he had a lOT of bad days) he was unbelievably, undisputably, wow where was he throwing it too?, AWFUL.

Love the guy, but he probably put up more stinkers than anyone in Patriots history, and that includes Bledsoe, which is a testament to Grogan's guts and longevity.

Last edited:
Eason was not a bad QB, he just did not have the heart or desire to be a great qb, because he was talented.. Still would have wanted Grogan over him...

Hugh Millen.

I remember not being too comfortable with "Hugh at the Helm".

"To illustrate this ignominious claim: in a game in KC, Joe Kapp threw an interception on three consecutive plays. One was fumbled back and a second was negated by penalty. Nonetheless, Kapp threw three interceptions in a real time span of about 90 seconds. Read that last sentence again."

:eek:.
WTF? I am shaking my head in astonishment as I read that.

People. Just so you know. I do know who I am. :rocker: I know what board I'm on. I'm just saying JP sucked much harder on a sustained basis then ANY QB you've ever had. While I understand that you ARE homers. Just try and allow for some objectivity.

I know every bit as well as any of you who JP was and what he went on to achieve. Here's the thing. Given he came out of school owning Heisman? It's sincerely HARD to find a QB that sucked more than he did. Seriously. Do some research. Over a 4 year period you'd be hard pressed to find a QB who played every game who sucked more than JP. He fully stunk when he was with NE. No 2 ways about it. It's ok. You're beyond it.

But can you admit that?

Lets not discuss guys like Weurfel. I'm of a mind that thinks every NE fan is actually proud of JP. Facts remain. He positively sucked when he was with NE.

Stan Humphries.

"To illustrate this ignominious claim: in a game in KC, Joe Kapp threw an interception on three consecutive plays. One was fumbled back and a second was negated by penalty. Nonetheless, Kapp threw three interceptions in a real time span of about 90 seconds. Read that last sentence again."

My bad. Kapp it is. Sorry, Hugh.

Scott Secules deserves to be mentioned

Obviously Bledsoe.

Adam Vinatieri. He was with the Pats for 10 years and only had one TD pass . . . to Bingo Brown.

Two things:

Mike Taliaferro was definitely the worst Pats QB, many of you may not remember him from when the team played at BC.

Anybody who implies Drew Bledsoe was bad has obviously only seen two Patriot QB's. A Johnny come lately fan.

tony eason and zolak
To say Tony Eason is pure idiocy. OK fine, so you didn't like how he ducked away from tackles, and apparently football wasn't a passion for him. But he was nonetheless the most talented QB who played for the Patriots up to that time. He held several Patriot passing records until Bledsoe broke them.

Marc Wilson hands down worst Patriots QB ever...Why are we even discussing this? - Its not even close.

Now if you want an underrated but mediocre QB who was not bad at times ..Its Scott Zolak..I liked the kid,He played hard

Marc Wilson hands down worst Patriots QB ever...Why are we even discussing this? - Its not even close.

Now if you want an underrated but mediocre QB who was not bad at times ..Its Scott Zolak..I liked the kid,He played hard
I understand the Wilson argument but how many years did he suck as a starter? Which is basically the problem with this thread.

The term "worst" means many things to many different people. When it comes to history if you want to quantify worst you have to look at the numbers, no? Which implies you have to factor in the number of years a QB takes snaps and plays. Wilson only played one year for the pats and his completion pctg and TD to int ratio (major factors in passing rating) were better than Plunkett's 72 year. Plunkett went on to have 2 more years that were marginally better. At best.

The only other QB in your history who competes effectively with Plunketts 72 season is Joe Kapp and his 70 year. Actually he wins on a single season level. I'm just sayin' Plunkett's sustained less than mediocre effort over a four year span is worthy of the annals. Again, I submitt for your perusal the JP stats.

| Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |
+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+
| 1971 nwe | 14 | 158 328 48.2 2158 6.6 19 16 | 45 210 0 |
| 1972 nwe | 14 | 169 355 47.6 2196 6.2 8 25 | 36 230 1 |
| 1973 nwe | 14 | 193 376 51.3 2550 6.8 13 17 | 44 209 5 |
| 1974 nwe | 14 | 173 352 49.1 2457 7.0 19 22 | 30 161 2 |
| 1975 nwe | 5 | 36 92 39.1 571 6.2 3 7 | 4 7 1 |

I remember JP. Heisman winner. Number one pick if I'm not mistaken. I'm happy for him that he managed to land in the... er, the right spot and redeem himself. But he definitely sucked big time on a sustained level when he was with NE.

Apologies for not lining up the stats quite properly but I'm too lazy right now and need to go to bed.

To say Tony Eason is pure idiocy. OK fine, so you didn't like how he ducked away from tackles, and apparently football wasn't a passion for him. But he was nonetheless the most talented QB who played for the Patriots up to that time. He held several Patriot passing records until Bledsoe broke them.

i totally agree and i always put Tony Eason as one of the best qb in our history (at # 4 after Brady, Bledsoe and Grogan).

he had 2 amazing seasons and 1 was extraordinary

as someone mentioned in other threads probably Eason was the most talented QB the Pats ever had (like pure talent)

One more shot at the pathetic Kapp. In 1970, Joe was zero wins in ten starts, threw 17 INTs versus 3 TDs and had a 32.6 rating.

Good Lord, people, how can someone else be worse?

the same reaction i had...

Obviously Bledsoe.

Yeah,We would have been much better taking Mirer with that #1 pick and had sent Bledsoe to the Seahawks,Mirer would be a Patriots dream QB :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News