PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WORST QBs in Patriot History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marc Wilson.

In the 1985 playoff game vs. LA, after the Pats recovered a fumbled kickoff for a TD and a late 27-20 lead, the Raiders had one last chance to tie the game. The cameras showed Raiders QB Marc Wilson on the sideline with a look on his face that screamed, "I need to puke!"...the Marc Wilson Face, if you will. I smiled at that, knowing the Pats had this game won.

When I found out the Pats had signed Marc Wilson circa 1989, I had the Marc Wilson Face going. The subsequent dark period from 1990 - 1992 was no surprise after that.

Regards,
Chris

Aside from the one year practice squaders, who are irrelevant, there is one guy who sat on the bench for almost five years. He was the Heismann trophy winner the year he was drafted too. He shares he startling fact that he was drafted by the New York Jets in the first round. That was the very same year that the Jets also drafted Joe Namath in the first round with their other first round pick that year.

John Huarte never played and was traded to the Pats, behind Babe Parilli. When Parilli got old, he never even got on the field and the Pats traded for Taliferro who drove him off the Jets roster. Now some say Taliferro was the worst Pats QB but to get beaten out as a Heismann trophy winner by Taliferro says you were really, REALLY bad.:singing:

Joe Kapp wins

You Plunkett bashers clearly do not understand football

Amen to both comments. When Plunkett had a line in front of him, he won a Super Bowl with the Raiders. The line he had in NE would have made the Texans O line look like all Pros. For those of us who are old enough to remember what happened to David Carr these last few years wasn't half as bad as what Plunkett had to endure........
Kapp on the other hand was the product of the Minnesoat system and once in NE flopped big time.......

Yup, Joe Kapp. Slam dunk.
For the expectaions he had and what the Pats gave up and he turned out to be a gimp. I' don't even think he finished the year.
So open up a bottle of Budweiser Mr. Worst Patriots QB ever. You earned it.

Pfft. Hands down it's Plunkett.

Your saying a rookie of the year was worse than the rogues gallery of Patriots rejects?

Mark Wilson
Mike Taliaferro
Joe Kapp

I'm only counting one time starters

Joe Kapp threw the worst ball ever seen on an NFL field, but I liked the fact he would stand there and knock down the defensive linemen instead of falling down.

That allowed him to make some plays.

I remember as a kid Marc Wilson was so bad he made me cry and wish I wasn't a Patriots fan.

So he has my vote.

Last edited:
But here's the thing. Wilson only played 2 years for the pats. Yes, his numbers were less than impressive.

Plunkett OTH spent his first four years learning about living and\or operating in oblivion. I know JP and what he went through his first 4 years in the league and I wouldn't wish that on any QB.

Currently Carr happens to be the unhappy recipient of the same kinda thing JP experienced. It's unfortunate? I hope he fashions a solution along the lines JP did. Heh, as long as it's NOT at my teams expense. ;)

It's sorta like just being born on the gaza strip. What can you hope for?

Rohan Davey
The guy they drafted from Texas Tech a couple of years ago that threw that game losing interception to Carolina in a preseason game that still chokes me up.

Tom Brady, possibly the worst use of a sixth round pick in history.

I forgot about Hugh Millen, maybe why he is the worst, so I append my original pick here....Millen it is!

Millen (and his spiritual brother, Tommy Hodson) may have had a good game or two, but Marc Wilson was horrific his entire Patriots (and NFL!) career. My vote goes to Marc Wilson.

This thread makes me remember all those guys we used to think of as a QB, and how bad they were compared to what we have now. I have to go with Plunkett, Wilson and Taliaferro. I wanted them all to be good, but they sucked.

Any answer other than Marc Wilson is ridiculous. You know that hopeless / no chance / franchise is now irrelevant feeling we all have about the Celtics after the "lottery"...that was Patriots football with Marc Wilson at the helm. Tommy Hodson was Larry Bird to Wilson's Brad Lohous. Yet, even in the dark days of the Wilson era...we always managed to beat the Colts at least once every season.

Last edited:
People. Just so you know. I do know who I am. :rocker: I know what board I'm on. I'm just saying JP sucked much harder on a sustained basis then ANY QB you've ever had. While I understand that you ARE homers. Just try and allow for some objectivity.

I know every bit as well as any of you who JP was and what he went on to achieve. Here's the thing. Given he came out of school owning Heisman? It's sincerely HARD to find a QB that sucked more than he did. Seriously. Do some research. Over a 4 year period you'd be hard pressed to find a QB who played every game who sucked more than JP. He fully stunk when he was with NE. No 2 ways about it. It's ok. You're beyond it.

But can you admit that?

Lets not discuss guys like Weurfel. I'm of a mind that thinks every NE fan is actually proud of JP. Facts remain. He positively sucked when he was with NE.

Last edited:
People. Just so you know. I do know who I am. :rocker: I know what board I'm on. I'm just saying JP sucked much harder on a sustained basis then ANY QB you've ever had. While I understand that you ARE homers. Just try and allow for some objectivity.

I know every bit as well as any of you who JP was and what he went on to achieve. Here's the thing. Given he came out of school owning Heisman? It's sincerely HARD to find a QB that sucked more than he did. Seriously. Do some research. Over a 4 year period you'd be hard pressed to find a QB who played every game who sucked more than JP. He fully stunk when he was with NE. No 2 ways about it. It's ok. You're beyond it.

But can you admit that?

Lets not discuss guys like Weurfel. I'm of a mind that thinks every NE fan is actually proud of JP. Facts remain. He positively sucked when he was with NE.

Oh yeah...Plunkett along with pretty much everyone else on the roster struggled in those years...with the exception of the impeccable Randy Vataha. Plunkett was bad, but he was also young and inexperienced. Marc Wilson on the other hand had no excuse. He had no pocket presence, didn't sense a rush, threw off his back foot all the time, would have a looping arc on his 5 yard out patterns (slowest release and lack of zip I can remember), and made horrible, horrible decisions all the time. Those late '80's early '90's teams were friggin' horrible, but they had more talent than Plunkett played with...at least in his first 2 years.

| Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |
+----------+-----+---------------------------------------+-----------------+
| 1971 nwe | 14 | 158 328 48.2 2158 6.6 19 16 | 45 210 0 |
| 1972 nwe | 14 | 169 355 47.6 2196 6.2 8 25 | 36 230 1 |
| 1973 nwe | 14 | 193 376 51.3 2550 6.8 13 17 | 44 209 5 |
| 1974 nwe | 14 | 173 352 49.1 2457 7.0 19 22 | 30 161 2 |

I'd say these numbers absolutely suck for a starting QB taking every snap in every game. Look at 72. :eek: Granted, Plunkett didn't have great talent around him but... He still sucked his 1st few years with NE.

Plunkett was the reason they won ANYTHING al all in those days. HE had no talent to work with.

i prefere the best ones (1-Brady 2-Bledsoe 3-Grogan 4-Eason) list

Joe Kapp wins

You Plunkett bashers clearly do not understand football

Bingo! Jim Plunkett was teriffic at Stanford winning the 1970 Heisman Trophy. He won two Super Bowls with the Raiders as starting QB and was the Super Bowl MVP in one of those games.

If Plunkett was the worst Patriot QB,the team should have a dozen or so perennial All Pro QBs in its history. Last time I checked, the Pats were about 10 QBs short of a dozen.

If you saw Joe Kapp play, there is no doubt he was atrocious.

To illustrate this ignominious claim: in a game in KC, Joe Kapp threw an interception on three consecutive plays. One was fumbled back and a second was negated by penalty. Nonetheless, Kapp threw three interceptions in a real time span of about 90 seconds. Read that last sentence again.

Kapp was a disaster off the field as well. After leading the Pats to the NFL's worst record, Kapp was to mentor just drafted QB Jim Plunkett. A month before training camp, Kapp abruptly quit resulting in the rookie have to start in his first game in the NFL (a huge upset win over the powerful Raiders).

Joe "Duck" Kapp was was a terrible QB who suffered great difficulty in throwing a spiral. You know, like the third string QB on your local high school junior varsity. His arm was that bad.

No hesitation, Joe Kapp was the worst Patriot QB.

Joe Krapp, indeed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back