PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Winners / Losers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone on Patsfans posted how at training camp they saw Brady and Moss take Edelperson aside and work extra with him. How observant and gow prophetic. Thanks, whoever you are! BB obviously saw something in the kid that he wanted verified under fire.

Say goodbye to Mathew Slater, last year's swing at finding an Edelman.

Someone on Patsfans posted how at training camp they saw Brady and Moss take Edelperson aside and work extra with him. How observant and gow prophetic. Thanks, whoever you are! BB obviously saw something in the kid that he wanted verified under fire.

Say goodbye to Mathew Slater, last year's swing at finding an Edelman.

I think Brady and Moss pulled him aside for advice:eek:

Winners:

Edleman - If you put an No. 83 jersey on him you'd swear it was wes welker - he's a lock and looks like the 3rd best receiver on the team.

Baker - The touchdown maker. Looks like he could be a primary red zone target for Brady.

Brady - Did not appear skiddish about the knee. The O-line did a good job keeping him clean.

Myron Proyor - kids got a high motor.

Ron Brace - Only saw him on a few plays in the first half, but on one running play he showed surprising speed and pursuit as he was in on a tackle that was 10-15 yards downfied.

4-3 Pass Rush - I am really stoked on the idea of running the 4-3. IMO the 3-4 can be too demanding technique-wise on the DL and LBs that it takes away the ability of the defense to pin its ears back and rush the QB. I would love to see Pryor and Brace in a DL rotation where Pease/BB constantly cycle in fresh bodies on the frount 4 through out a defensive series.

Losers:

4-3 Run Defense - This needs some work. Got gashed for big plays to many times. The DEs and linebackers need to do a better job on the off tackle running plays.

Maroney - Did ok, but I still think he leaves too many yards on the field. If It were up to me, BJGE makes this team over Maroney.

Galloway - looks lost

If Edelman keeps this up, and all that stands between him and a roster spot is Slater, Slaters gone.

Too bad Seymour didnt play......did he?

It's preseason for Seymour! He's a vet who isn't going to kill himself.. I am alright with that. On the other hand M. Pryor looked great, really good, Especially when they just had two DL in the game. He blew up their line.

Don't forget it took Welker 3 years before he became Wlker v1.

Welker was so bad as a rook the Chargers cut him.

JE has a head start

Actually, that's not quite what happened; much like BB will sometimes cut promising rookies to get veterans (*cough* Justin Rogers for Chad Brown *cough* :mad:), the Chargers cut Welker to sign a more experienced WR. . . . Tim Dwight.

In my opinion, the only losers of the night were Alexander and Yates, but we pretty much already knew they sucked.

Yet we'll see people ripping on Maroney when, once again, I'm sure he'll average the same or better YPC as the other running backs.

Not to mention the first-string run blocking left something to be desired.

Luckily no one cares what you think. Have some more Blue Patriots Koolaid you freakin homer..........

Quite a refreshing kid isn't he, the high energy, play making ability is so far above and beyond what we'll ever see out of James Sanders.

James, you are a role player, I am tired of seeing you arrive late after a catch has already been made and the damage done. I cannot remember you ever, ever being around the football until the damage has been done and you make the tackle simply because all you concentrate on is keeping everything in front of you. We need more than that, that's why Chung will take your snaps as each game progresses.

You do realize that keeping the play in front of him, as the FREE/DEEP SAFETY, is his job, right? He's not flashy, but he does his job and does it well. Otherwise, the Pats wouldn't have throw over $3 million at him.

'

I just don't get it. I didn't see anything bad at all from Sanders.

Certainly Chung looked good against backups, so I guess that validates those who have always had it out for him.

What are you watching out there ? Did you see the catches being made in front of him in the center of the field for 20 and 25 yard gains ? When was the last time you can remember a James Sanders interception or for that matter a blitz for a loss (BB doesn't blitz him for a reason) or even a stand-out run support play. I CAN'T REMEMBER ONE !

Wake up and drop the Koolaid, you are football-clueless. James Sanders is a role player, accept it................Pat Chung will have his job by week 5.

Last edited:
Ill go straight to the LOSER:

Maroney: It has gotten to the point where "We drafted him 1st, so we must continue to use him!", even though BJGE still continues to impress me over Maroney...

Do you agree it is drafting round Bias? So what if BJGE went undrafted, who seems like the better player on the field?

You do realize that keeping the play in front of him, as the FREE/DEEP SAFETY, is his job, right? He's not flashy, but he does his job and does it well. Otherwise, the Pats wouldn't have throw over $3 million at him.

'

Is that what you want for your starting safety ? All the power to you, I have to see more than what I've seen out of him. Think hard DaBruinz, tell me the last big play you can ever remember him making ? Stay at home, stay deep safeties who don't make plays are a dime-a-dozen. Pat Chung will bring much, much more to the table after he gets his game reps in.

There was one play that caught my attention in person that may not have been visible on TV. On the play after Moss caught the long bomb down the left sideline and they lined up in the hurry up, Galloway seemed unsure of where to line up and it was Edelman who directed him to the proper position. Whether Galloway was having problems learning the playbook or Edelman was that comfortable as a rookie that he knew not only his position but that of other players says a lot....

I think that Edelman, having been a former QB, was able to digest the playbook much more quickly than people thought. I noticed that, like Welker does when the Pats are in the no-huddle, Edelman was signalling to the outside receivers on his side.

As I mentioned as well, I noticed that Edelman made it a point to seek Brady out almost every series and talk to him. And Brady was very accommodating.. It was an awesome site to see because Brady clearly only said things once and Edelman digested it almost immediately.. You could tell just by looking at this kids face..

Yeah, and he actually made them, without dropping them, which already puts him one-up on Watson...

Tell me something. Do you know how many drops Watson had last year? Because its uninformed comments like yours that shows how much you don't know...

Is that what you want for your starting safety ? All the power to you, I have to see more than what I've seen out of him. Think hard DaBruinz, tell me the last big play you can ever remember him making ? Stay at home, stay deep safeties who don't make plays are a dime-a-dozen. Pat Chung will bring much, much more to the table after he gets his game reps in.

I like Chung and he looked very good last night, but I don't see why people are so down on Sanders. Sanders is a very sound player. Is he a difference-maker? No. But you can win with him back there. He's not as explosive as Meriweather, but he's a good enough tackler.

Simon.....I care what he thinks but again I am not as important as you are. Probably the majority here can see what happens on the field except you. He is right. Come over to the dark side and admit it. The kid #36 does not have talent. Nice kid, smart and hard worker I am sure. At some point you have to show you have NFL starting talent. Probably a decent back up.
Say...I hope you aren't saying that you view yourself as more important than the reasonable contributor you make a fool out of yourself by chastising Simon?
How is summer vacation been for you? School starts pretty soon for you kids. Get a new Spider Man lunch box yet?
That is how you treat people. ET TU Brutus!
DW Toys

Sorry, DW... Sanders has enough talent for the Pats to give him starter money ($3 million a year for 3 years). You just don't understand that he's lining up at Free Safety and is the last line of defense.

BTW, DW, you are hardly one to be calling someone else a fool for their posts. Especially with all the inaccuracies you have posted over the years.. Particularly about Sanders..

Don't forget it took Welker 3 years before he became Wlker v1.

Welker was so bad as a rook the Chargers cut him.

JE has a head start

Welker wasn't bad. The Chargers cut him because Tim Dwignt wasn't ready to come back from injury and they needed someone for punt returns and kick returns.

The Chargers were trying to stash Welker on their Practice Squad, only to have Miami swipe him..

I will try to do winners and losers not mentioned before. Forgive me if I go a bit off topic:

Winners
Wes Welker - The guy didn't even dress and he won now that it looks he can pass his punt return duties to Edelman. Punt returning has to be a horrible job for a starter. You go onto the field most of the time just to make a fair catch while your fellow starters are resting on the bench. The times you do actually make a return you open yourself up to potentially brutal open field tackles. I am sure Welker will happily give up return duties.

Gary Guyton - Seems to be progressing from last year. Made some good plays.

The shotgun - Many people said that with McDaniels gone that the Pats overreliance on the shotgun would go away. I am happy to say that it is here to say. According to Mike Reiss, Brady was in the shotgun in 16 of 24 snaps or 66.7% of the time. I still think Brady just has much more command of the offense from the shotgun. It would be stupid to get rid of it.

Randy Cross and Don Criqui - For the first time since they started broadcasting Patriots games, I wasn't totally annoyed listening to these two bozos. They still suck as broadcasters (although Cross is decent as a talk show host on Sirius radio), but they weren't mind numbingly sucky last night.

Losers

Greg Lewis - He didn't do anything wrong, but with Edelman playing so well Lewis is in danger of falling down the depth chart.

Kevin O'Connell - Why are you not the #2 QB. Andrew Walter is not the answer as back up QB at least not yet. How have you dropped to #3?

Dave Thomas - With Watson out, this should have been his time to get some production and Chris Baker stole the show. Thomas was more productive at FB than TE last night. I think the only way he makes the team is if he can prove he can handle the H-Back role or they decide to trade Watson.

Grecian Formula, Hair dye # 256 - Who are you kidding Randy Cross? You were completely gray last year. Could you at least get a hair dye color that looked like natural hair color. I swear I saw his dye dripping during the game.

Ill go straight to the LOSER:

Maroney: It has gotten to the point where "We drafted him 1st, so we must continue to use him!", even though BJGE still continues to impress me over Maroney...

Do you agree it is drafting round Bias? So what if BJGE went undrafted, who seems like the better player on the field?

BJGE - looked good against 2nd and 3rd stingers, mostly 3rd stringers.

Maroney - Didn't have the holes opened for him that Morris or BJGE did. Played against Philly's top defense... Is coming back from that shoulder injury.

Its easy to see why someone would be impressed with BJGE if you ignore the quality of competition that BJGE was going up against.

BJGE - looked good against 2nd and 3rd stingers, mostly 3rd stringers.

Maroney - Didn't have the holes opened for him that Morris or BJGE did. Played against Philly's top defense... Is coming back from that shoulder injury.

Its easy to see why someone would be impressed with BJGE if you ignore the quality of competition that BJGE was going up against.

All I remember is the one time BJGE started he ran for 100 something yards on a key win against the Bills. He also found the endzone for what, 5 straight weeks?

But you Maroney defenders can still find every excuse in the bag.

Listen, I know you don't understand the concepts and what I WANT doesn't matter. It's what BB wants. Its how this defense is designed. BTW, making the stop in front of you and keeping the guy from picking up a TD IS making the play... Also, since you fail to comprehend, Sanders is the one calling the secondary alignments.. Not Meriweather.. That should ALSO tell you something.

Instead of acting like you know more about defenses than Bill Belichick, how about you put your ignorance aside and try to understand what Sanders' job is supposed to be. It will go a LONG way to helping you better your assessments and understand the game that much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call