PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Winners / Losers

Status
Not open for further replies.
love Law Firm too but i think RBs like him can always be found even if he is cut. I think we carry 5 Backs this season cos we have no FB. We would also carry 3 TEs

Clearly they are considering the option of moving Dave Thomas to FB.

There was one play that caught my attention in person that may not have been visible on TV. On the play after Moss caught the long bomb down the left sideline and they lined up in the hurry up, Galloway seemed unsure of where to line up and it was Edelman who directed him to the proper position. Whether Galloway was having problems learning the playbook or Edelman was that comfortable as a rookie that he knew not only his position but that of other players says a lot....

Don't forget, Edelman is a QB!

I realize he was going up against second and third stringers, but despite that I like the way BJGE runs. I can't really say he was a winner due to the level of competition, but I'm hoping he earned the chance to play against some first stringers next week to show what he's got. I know most here say he's on the bubble or even there's no way he makes it unless someone gets hurt, but I thought he showed some good quick decisions and he fought for the extra yard a couple times.

he did look good out there even if it was against scrubs, but 5 backs would be quite the doozy of a decision to make if we're in BB's shoes. at some point we have to say 'too bad' and make the cut

Luckily no one of importance cares what you think.
Simon.....I care what he thinks but again I am not as important as you are. Probably the majority here can see what happens on the field except you. He is right. Come over to the dark side and admit it. The kid #36 does not have talent. Nice kid, smart and hard worker I am sure. At some point you have to show you have NFL starting talent. Probably a decent back up.
Say...I hope you aren't saying that you view yourself as more important than the reasonable contributor you make a fool out of yourself by chastising Simon?
How is summer vacation been for you? School starts pretty soon for you kids. Get a new Spider Man lunch box yet?
That is how you treat people. ET TU Brutus!
DW Toys

The Wendy's Guy seems hard to kill from this team. I think we see Watson traded soon, and the team list three TEs (Baker, Smith, Thomas) even though Thomas acts as FB more often.

Really? I didn't know that. I may have missed a play. I just hope Watson isn't cut for him. I rather A-Smith go. Looks like we would be drafting a RB 1st round next year. (too early to predict?)

love Law Firm too but i think RBs like him can always be found even if he is cut. I think we carry 5 Backs this season cos we have no FB. We would also carry 3 TEs

If he's cut, he'll be scooped up by the next day by either Pioli or McDaniels. I think he's solid, gives great effort and he's under 30! Way under 30. I'm not saying he's the best on the team, but I'd be happy if they kept him. He could be our long range #2 or (probably) #3 back for a while. Not a star, just a good, reliable player.

Simon.....I care what he thinks but again I am not as important as you are. Probably the majority here can see what happens on the field except you. He is right. Come over to the dark side and admit it. The kid #36 does not have talent. Nice kid, smart and hard worker I am sure. At some point you have to show you have NFL starting talent. Probably a decent back up.
Say...I hope you aren't saying that you view yourself as more important than the reasonable contributor you make a fool out of yourself by chastising Simon?
How is summer vacation been for you? School starts pretty soon for you kids. Get a new Spider Man lunch box yet?
That is how you treat people. ET TU Brutus!
DW Toys

Ah, the resident irrational Sanders-hater chimes in.

You're totally right though. He doesn't have any talent. That's why BB signed him to a 3-year deal. Because, if there's one thing we know, BB can't evaluate NFL-caliber talent. Let me thank you profusely for that impressive piece of analysis.

Seriously, do you even think when you type? Or is this some sort of random James Sanders hate script blended with a totally nonsensical British flair?

Exhibition game one and they're already out there.....

angry-mob.jpeg

Winners: The 1st half O-Line did a great job protecting Tom.

Losers: Alexander and Seymour (Richard forgot how to hustle).

I just don't get it. I didn't see anything bad at all from Sanders.

Certainly Chung looked good against backups, so I guess that validates those who have always had it out for him.

The Wendy's Guy seems hard to kill from this team. I think we see Watson traded soon, and the team list three TEs (Baker, Smith, Thomas) even though Thomas acts as FB more often.

we'll see soon enough how BB & Co feel about the Wendy's guy but to be honest with you, after his boneheaded Indy play ( that kills me to this day even though it was 9 months ago) and all the talent that was brought in - they are either unhappy with him or Watson. Thomas' draft class, sans the pro bowl kicker, becomes.........ahhhhr - don't want to get into it now.

Last edited:
3. Edelman - Kid had a great start. As has been mentioned on this board throughout the night, he could turn into Welker v2.
Don't forget it took Welker 3 years before he became Wlker v1.

Welker was so bad as a rook the Chargers cut him.

JE has a head start

In my opinion, the only losers of the night were Alexander and Yates, but we pretty much already knew they sucked.

Yeah, those were probably the two weakest links. I hadn't seen much of Alexander before, and now I know why. He dives too early EVERY time he tries to makes a tackle... even on tackles where you shouldn't leave your feet in the first place. Yates is crap every time he's on the field. He must be amazing in practice to have kept a roster spot.

No injuries that I know of.... that's the most important thing.

On running plays, when Vollmer wasn't knocking linemen on thier arse, he was running them 20 yards down the field. If this kid keeps improving, he's going to add an amazing run-blocking element that is rareley seen in a left tackle. I look forward to BB's implementation of this freakish talent. What the hell was there with two 76's on the Pats? That was trippin me out.

As a whole, I thought the secondary looked GREAT considering it's their first pre-season game, and most of them are in thier first year here. I think people are being too hard on Sanders, he looked pretty good. Wheatley's gotta work on being in better position, but he looked solid on special teams. He almost had a blocked field goal after Chung did.

AD is an amazing player.... it seems like he can come shed a blocker at will

Starting O-line needs to work on their run blocking a bit, but their pass blocking is superb.

I think with some more coaching and experience, Edelmen will become like a mini-Welker. Picture a 4 wide receiver set with Moss, Galloway, Welker and Mini-Welker. That would be approaching sublime, but I fear it may have an effect similar to that of "crossing the streams".

This team looks like their almost in mid-season form. Then execution, competition and energy this pre-season is unlike any Patriots pre-season I've ever seen. It just has a different feel to it. Barring too many injuries, this team is going to be special this year....

I believe it was a no hurdle offense and Brady told Edelman the play cos he was the closest WR to him and it was then Edelman's responsibility to tell Galloway the play.

Except Edelman was flanked out wider than Galloway and directed him to a spot closer to the line....
As Shmessy pointed out, he was a QB but it was impresive that as a rookie he seems to have grasped it pretty quickly...

Ah, the resident irrational Sanders-hater chimes in.

You're totally right though. He doesn't have any talent. That's why BB signed him to a 3-year deal. Because, if there's one thing we know, BB can't evaluate NFL-caliber talent. Let me thank you profusely for that impressive piece of analysis.

Seriously, do you even think when you type? Or is this some sort of random James Sanders hate script blended with a totally nonsensical British flair?

I missed the game and can't comment on how people performed. But I'm somewhere in-between the two Sanders camps based on past performance. I think Sanders is a valuable role player who makes a terrific 3rd safety in a 3 man rotation, which entirely warrants BBs confidence in him and willingness to resign him to a 3 year contract. But I also think that he will never be more than an adequate starting safety, and that there is plenty of room for someone like Chung to upgrade the starting position. Sanders is a fine asset, but he will never replace Rodney. Not sure anyone will, but I'm hoping. Meriweather seems to be progressing nicely, so if Chung steps up then we will have a fabulous safety rotation with Sanders and McGowan being strong backups.

Thoughts on tonight's winners and losers?

Winners:
1. Brady - what can I say? He played well and stayed safe. That works for me.
2. Chris Baker - he annoyed me when with the Jets because he always seemed to play well against the Patriots. I'm glad he's on our side and expect him to be the most productive TE on our roster this year. 40 receptions, 500 Yards, 7 TDs.
3. Edelman - Kid had a great start. As has been mentioned on this board throughout the night, he could turn into Welker v2. Caught everything thrown in his direction and had a huge return. Can't wait to see more from him.

Losers:
1. Maroney - The only running back that can't find a hole. The good news is that when his career is over he'll excel on Dancing with the Stars! I just wish he'd stop preparing for that role while on the Patriots.
2. Eric Alexander - Not that I had high hopes for him, but he was awful tonight. I can't remember him actually diving and hitting anyone ... one miss after another!
3. Nunn? - There's been a lot of positive camp notes/press about this guy. I was excited to see what he brought to the team. The only impression I took from tonight's game is a negative one.

Side note: Thank god football is back! 4 hour long, slow played baseball games bug the hell out of me.

I would have to add in the winners department Myron Pryor. We got to see why he was working with the ones in camp. He had a nice sack tonight... wait, what did I just say? :confused:

Addition to the losers- Galloway. Very unimpressed. He should've caught that quick in slant pass from Brady for the 2nd passing TD but, it clanked off of his hands, I heard it through the tv!

I would have to add in the winners department Myron Pryor. We got to see why he was working with the ones in camp. He had a nice sack tonight... wait, what did I just say? :confused:

Addition to the losers- Galloway. Very unimpressed. He should've caught that quick in slant pass from Brady for the 2nd passing TD but, it clanked off of his hands, I heard it through the tv!

He looked up late. I think he was looking directly at a visual queue for his route a bit too long. He'll get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back