PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Willie's not happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't blame Willie. Eventually someone could have worn it...but not right away. He didn't want to leave...the Pats never contacted him in the off-season.

zoostation said:
...the Pats never contacted him in the off-season.

You don't know that.

He said that he "reluctantly" gave permission.

Come on Willie, you either gave permission or you didn't. Did you leave your balls here in NE too?

Count your money and play your last years in Cleve. Then when you retire you can have your 55 back. There won't be any second thoughts on the Patriots part unless you keep shooting off your mouth.

Willie, my favorite Patriot---SHUT UP!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
zoostation said:
He didn't want to leave...the Pats never contacted him in the off-season.
That is totally contradictory to everything that we heard. Whether they made an official offer is unknown but they kept in touch with his agent through the whole thing. McGinest said they "never talked to him" but they did talk to his agent. He wanted the money, plain and simple. Fine. He got it. And Seau took #55.

Much ado about nothing, he goes away from out organization and starts acting like a rich NFL individual player instead of the consumate Pats player. Interesting to see if this comes up in a BB press conference and what his response will be.

Sounds like he'll just have to get over it.
What was he saying the other day about how the system will only get us so far?
I think he needs to worry a little more about Cleveland, and a little less about us.

Didn't Willie jump ship as soon as free agency opened up? Regardless, he gave permission, which should be commended. He did the Pats a favor by helping eliminate any petty nonsense that number loyalty can bring. Besides, Junior will be a one and done, which will free up his number quickly if the Pats do ever decide to retire #55.

GJAJ15 said:
Much ado about nothing, he goes away from out organization and starts acting like a rich NFL individual player instead of the consumate Pats player. Interesting to see if this comes up in a BB press conference and what his response will be.

BB could care less about what Willie has to say, and I don't care either. He had a choice. He was a free agent. He could have chose to work with the team to figure something out with his contract. He said himself that he knew that final year of his contract was a fake year. Then he started this they never contacted me crap...whatever. We will never know for sure, BB does not throw his players under the bus. And I could have sworn that it was reported in our local papers that the Pats were in contact with his agent. I don't know what the big deal is anyway. He's wearing #55 for Cleveland right? Why should he care who where's it here? He's no longer a Patriot.
In most fans hearts, he will always be a Patriot, mine included. But as of today, it is a fact that he is no longer a Patriot and now plays for the Cleveland Browns. He made that choice. No one forced him into it. Bruschi made the choice to stay here because he didn't want to wear #54 for any other team. Mcginest could have made the same choice if he wanted to.

Last edited:
GJAJ15 said:

BB "we will only talk about players who are here, and Willie chose not to be here" haha

shut up willie (although I think everyone is making too much of this, and he never said he was pissed or anything, just that he reluctantly agreed) I was surprised to see that Bill contacted him as well to ask permission, I would have thought it would have just been between willie and Seau.
I am glad Jr. is wearing it, out with the old, in with the new .... errr, well new old guy at least

My thought: If he didn't want anyone wearing #55 on the Patriots, then he should have stayed and worn it himself, otherwise he needs to stop worrying about a team that has nothing to do with him anymore and start worrying about the Browns getting more than 6 wins this season.

Willie's happiness doesn't matter much to me, anymore, I gotta say. Thanks for the memories, but bye...

From everything I heard, the Pats did not make an effort to keep him. I have never heard anything different. Does anyone else have any other information? I was under the impression that if anything, the Pats just wanted him to hang around like they did Troy Brown last year.

Willie is a great player and gave a lot to the team and the fans. He is NOT a deion branch or av. From everything I heard, I thought he wanted to play here but the Pats felt it was time to part ways.

Anyway, I understand him not really wanting anyone to wear his number, but that even he realized it would be foolish to deny JS. I also think he now realizes he's making it a bigger thing than it is and that he won't bring it up again.

Mc Ginest

Willie showed probably too much emotion on this issue.
Still i loved him when he was with us.
And i will never forget what he has done for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont blame him or the pats but if the pats front office or kraft had stepped in said , willie's number is off limits then i wouldve been happy . Even jerry rice didnt get number 80 when he went to seattle did he ?
IMHO there is no need to throw him under the bus. The fact that he feels passionate enough of his stay here is good instead of him saying i dont care if they give the number or not.

Would it have been too hard for the Patriots to simply tell Seau to pick another number? Willie's got a right to be upset! They should give Willie the respect he deserves and put that number away for a bit.

I don't care how much money he made. I don't care how he left. He broke his back for this team for 11 years!!

If the Patriots are as classy as they say they are, they should give the great old warrior the respect he deserves.

I don't even want to root for Seau now! He's wearing Willie's number.:(

Let's see, #55 is not retired and Willie is no longer a Pat. I must be missing something here. T.S. Willie.

belichickaholic said:
Would it have been too hard for the Patriots to simply tell Seau to pick another number? Willie's got a right to be upset! They should give Willie the respect he deserves and put that number away for a bit.

I don't care how much money he made. I don't care how he left. He broke his back for this team for 11 years!!

If the Patriots are as classy as they say they are, they should give the great old warrior the respect he deserves.

How did you feel when Mcginest held up that Brown's uniform? He looked so happy. It was like a punch in the gut for me. I wonder if he was thinking about all of the broken hearted Pats fans that he left behind when he was at that press conference? :(
If Seau is productive and helps us win, I'll root for him.

Last edited:
belichickaholic said:

Willie is gone. It was Willie's choice. If Willie wanted to keep his shirt, he should have stayed in it. If he had a problem with Seau wearing #55, then he should have said so. But he didn't, he agreed to it. Yes, Willie was a great player for the Patriots, but he's wearing #55 for the Browns now and I could care less about the #55 Jersey of the Pats.

belichickaholic said:

Actually, Willie's wearing Juniors' number in some ways as Junior gave Willie his #55 when he left USC, passing the baton as it were. I think they felt that it was poetic that Junior would be allowed to have the favor returned and be allowed to wear it here.

If it were any other player who had worn #55 there's no question the Pats would have said "choose a different number" - but I think the Patriots (incorrectly) assumed that when Willie said OK he meant it.

Willie should have just kept his mouth shut rather than grouse about it now.

I don't know what he's really worried about - Patriots #55 will always be Willie McGinest to us - and ultimately his number will be retired - but numbers are not retired immediately after retirement - and certainly not when the player goes to another team.

For the time being, Willie should choose to look at this as a sign of respect from Junior - not an insult but if he chooses to make it out to be that way its his call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back