PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Willie's not happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm cruious, how often does a team contact a player who has left to see if someone else can wear his number?

Give the Ghost #4. Then it would be perfect. All the newbies to New England take the guys numbers who left. ie. Seau has 55, Caldwell has 87, Ghost would have 4.

Zuma said:
"But McGinest acknowledged he wore No. 55 in college because Seau wore it before him".

And he's complaining...
Classless, just classless. And tacky to acknowlege to the media. Willie, you left for the money. Don't be expecting your old team to save your seat.

I contrast Willie's reaction to Ray Bourque's when the Bruins belatedly retired Phil Esposito's number 7. He took off his #7 jersey during Phil's retirement ceromony and handed it to Phil. Now that's class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gopats!!! said:
From everything I heard, the Pats did not make an effort to keep him. I have never heard anything different. Does anyone else have any other information? I was under the impression that if anything, the Pats just wanted him to hang around like they did Troy Brown last year.

Willie is a great player and gave a lot to the team and the fans. He is NOT a deion branch or av. From everything I heard, I thought he wanted to play here but the Pats felt it was time to part ways.

Anyway, I understand him not really wanting anyone to wear his number, but that even he realized it would be foolish to deny JS. I also think he now realizes he's making it a bigger thing than it is and that he won't bring it up again.

This has all been discussed ad naseum. One article I read said Willie had a deal worked out with Romeo before the end of 2005. That seems realistic to me. Let's put it this way...if you knew you were getting laid off from work, would you wait for the axe to hit, or would you start looking for another job?

Anything the Pats offered (and they did...according to many sources) would have been lower than what the rebuilding Browns and Romeo were willing to pay for veteran leadership and Superbowl mojo. That's part of the inconvinience of winning Superbowls.

Rather than saying, "I went to play for an old friend for more money." Willlie said, "They never talked to me." BB did not respond because that is how he operates...thankfully.

The fact that he continues to go to the press appears to me that he may be feeling some regret for not giving a hometown discount to finish his career with the Pats....his choice.

Brady got it right. Many of the players that left for more money do not appear too happy with their new situations.

Kdo5 said:
Give the Ghost #4. Then it would be perfect. All the newbies to New England take the guys numbers who left. ie. Seau has 55, Caldwell has 87, Ghost would have 4.
LMAO, nice. Gostkowski would look good with #4 on his jersey . . .

I don't get it. Willie tells Junior it's ok then he moans about it to reporters?

I wouldn't be surpised if Junior just takes another number and when reporters
ask him why he changed numbers he tells them because Willie told
him it was ok ... but then he told reporters how he really felt and so not to
distress the man any further he decided to take another number .... no big deal ... I'm here to play football. :)

Last edited:
Zuma said:
"But McGinest acknowledged he wore No. 55 in college because Seau wore it before him".

And he's complaining...

Finally! I've been reading the first few posts on this thread and Zuma is the first to actually point out the hilarious hypocracy of Willie's rant!!!!!!!

NOT Willie McGinest's finest moment.

ITS A FREAKING NUMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!! Willie thinks he is being disrespected. Well guess what Willie, I suspect BB is giving Seau the number to kick some dirt in your face for leaving. I dont disagree with that logic. :D

Direct quote from the SI article:

. . . . "Before Seau took the number, he and Patriots coach Bill Belichick called to ask McGinest's permission. McGinest said he felt awkward but agreed. He said the Patriots' front office should have stepped in and handled what he felt was an uncomfortable situation.". . . .

This was NOT an uncomfortable situation, all that was required was a simple "yes" or "no". If he really didn't want his number worn all he had to do was say "No". BB and Seau would've been fine with that and Junior would have worn a different number.

Instead, Willie's man-sac shrivels up and he says "yes" and then goes out and whines about it to the press showing his total lack of stones. The Pats had the respect to ask him instead of just doing it and HE then proves he's got no guts. He was pretty quick to speak his mind when he bad mouthed some of his Pats teamates to the press but he's too scared to simply say he would appreciate it if they didn't give out his number? :eek:

:rofl:

Last edited:
The reason he felt awkward when they asked him is he wanted to say no, but he knew he would be an ass if he did. And now he looks like an ass anyway.

What a maroon! First he takes the money and runs, with no concern for the fans who emotionally invested in him for a decade and whose participation pays his salary. NOW, after leaving he he wants his number reserved. That was completely in his control had he stayed.

More likely to have made the HOF with a 4th Pats ring too, but the extra discretionary income meant more. Fine, but don't whine.

Out of respect, they called him to see if they could give away his number? Sorry, but I think that's totally lame.

Robert Kraft has always handled things with class. How many times have we heard him and Bill Belichick say how much they love and respect Willie McGinest? Hollow words?

All I'm saying is that if they cared that much about him, as a person and as a player, it wouldn't have killed them to put that number away for a while.

SVN said:
i dont blame him or the pats but if the pats front office or kraft had stepped in said , willie's number is off limits then i wouldve been happy . Even jerry rice didnt get number 80 when he went to seattle did he ?
IMHO there is no need to throw him under the bus. The fact that he feels passionate enough of his stay here is good instead of him saying i dont care if they give the number or not.

Bad example...Largents number was RETIRED in 1990. Willies number is not retired he is still playing....and for another team. Junior isn't wearing #57, he is wearing #55 which is not retired. Willie left for more re$pect....the jersey isn't his....its OURS as fans. the number is fair game

pats-blue said:
Bad example...Largents number was RETIRED in 1990. Willies number is not retired he is still playing....and for another team. Junior isn't wearing #57, he is wearing #55 which is not retired. Willie left for more re$pect....the jersey isn't his....its OURS as fans. the number is fair game

I am not in favor of retiring the numbers of football players. There are too few to go around for certain positions. If they retire McGinnest's number, they should retire Bruschi's too. That would mean no future LB could wear the numbers 54, 55, 56 or 57.

huskeralk said:
"What if I had went to San Diego? I don't even think that would have been an option for me to ask for 55," McGinest said."

Well Willie, that's because Seau is a first ballot HOFer. You're just a douchebag who left for the money. The good news is that money will get you into the HOF whenever you feel like visiting.

Willie and the infamous "what if"............

If if and buts were fruits and nuts, my what a Xmas we would have!!!!

OK, this thread is officially at 55 posts...should make Willie happy now!

belichickaholic said:
Out of respect, they called him to see if they could give away his number? Sorry, but I think that's totally lame.

Robert Kraft has always handled things with class. How many times have we heard him and Bill Belichick say how much they love and respect Willie McGinest? Hollow words?

All I'm saying is that if they cared that much about him, as a person and as a player, it wouldn't have killed them to put that number away for a while.

Junior deserves the number....

Anyway, Willie chose to leave for a few more million, he really has done quite well for himself and has socked away and invested very well - most of this money well earned by Willie and funded by the Krafts. DId he really need the few more Romeo is paying him? In doing so though, Willie tarnished his image in my mind.

Don't put this on the Pats - it's all on Willie IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back