PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will this defense be top ten? (hint: no)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Where will this defense rank?

• Top 5.

Votes: 31 18.2%
  • Top 10.

Votes: 88 51.8%
  • 10-20

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • 21-32

Votes: 10 5.9%

• Total voters
I see Kontra's kicking ass, but is he taking names or chewing bubble gum?

I'm assuming he'll be taking your number soon enough to ask you out on a date, sweetie.

tumblr_n917d2kQOO1sh43kgo1_500.gif

I think this year's team is every bit as good, and maybe even better, than last year's team. On offense, the talent level is similar, but the OL, even with Solder's injury, looks very deep and solid. Most importantly, though, Brady has great familiarity with his skill players. And Dion is a better runner than Vereen, though no disrespect to Vereen, who was instrumental in getting us to the promised land.

I like this defense better than last year's. They're more fun to watch and I think they'll get much stronger as the year continues. The coverage has been good - obviously we lost a ton with Revis, no argument there - but the DL is really good. Teams were pounding us up the middle last couple of years, but no more.

Love Wilfork, but he wasn't very good last year, imo. This DL interior is stout and can get tons of push. Collins continues to just get better, and Hightower is a beast (and now we have Mayo in reserve).

Outside on the line, Nink and Jones played too many snaps last year. Won't be the case this year.

Statistically, this year's D will look better than last year's, but that's hugely due to this year's schedule compared to last year's.

The only thing I fear are the high-powered passing offenses (there aren't many this year), but I'd hate to play, say, Atlanta in the SB.

I'm assuming he'll be taking your number soon enough to ask you out on a date, sweetie.

Don't concentrate on me. I was just making a movie reference.

Concentrate on the guy kicking your ass all up and down the internet.

Don't concentrate on me. I was just making a movie reference.

Concentrate on the guy kicking your ass all up and down the internet.

I don't worry about anyone "kicking my ass" on the internet. I'll leave that for insecure individuals with severe self esteem issues like yourself.

I don't worry about anyone "kicking my ass" on the internet. I'll leave that for insecure individuals with severe self esteem issues like yourself.

giphy.gif

Your self esteem is so high that you are firing off personal attacks against someone who did nothing more than make a reference to a cult movie....

Stuart Smalley had more self esteem than that.

Because we're talking about entire units here, not individual players. Did we have elite players on defense last year? Absolutely. But it was not elite as a unit.

Is Brady better than Rodgers? Yes, but he hasn't always had better offensive units than Rodgers. Rodgers' stats in any single season don't come close to what Brady did with Moss in 2007.

You are forgetting Rodgers's 2011 season, when he went for over 4,600 yards, 45/6 TD/INT, with a PER of 122.5.

You mentioned in another post that your definition of elite is "dominant" and "suffocating". But most of the world defines elite as "a select part of a group that is superior to the rest in terms of ability or qualities." I thought last year's defense was certainly that. Seattle's D was better but we were certainly comparable to BUFF, DET, ARIZ, KC, BALT et al.

I think this year's team is every bit as good, and maybe even better, than last year's team. On offense, the talent level is similar, but the OL, even with Solder's injury, looks very deep and solid. Most importantly, though, Brady has great familiarity with his skill players. And Dion is a better runner than Vereen, though no disrespect to Vereen, who was instrumental in getting us to the promised land.

I like this defense better than last year's. They're more fun to watch and I think they'll get much stronger as the year continues. The coverage has been good - obviously we lost a ton with Revis, no argument there - but the DL is really good. Teams were pounding us up the middle last couple of years, but no more.

Love Wilfork, but he wasn't very good last year, imo. This DL interior is stout and can get tons of push. Collins continues to just get better, and Hightower is a beast (and now we have Mayo in reserve).

Outside on the line, Nink and Jones played too many snaps last year. Won't be the case this year.

Statistically, this year's D will look better than last year's, but that's hugely due to this year's schedule compared to last year's.

The only thing I fear are the high-powered passing offenses (there aren't many this year), but I'd hate to play, say, Atlanta in the SB.

Atlanta sucks

Matty Scrote

I don't think I've ever said the offense had everything to do with it, unless it was hyperbole. And if I did state that as hyperbole, I can't fathom a situation in which you'd actually believe I literally meant that it had everything to do with the SB.

1. I'm not sure I agree with that. The turnover before the half maybe, but those two scoring drives at the beginning where the defense just let Flacco pass all over them with the utmost of ease, were entirely on the D. That looked worse than the 2011 defense. They also allowed Baltimore two fairly easy scores in the 2nd half.

If we take hyperbole out of it, then the offense ALWAYS contributes to any deficit of more than 1 TD. The same is almost true of the defense, although there are some rare exceptions such as giving up a score while on offense or STs and then fumbling away the ensuing kickoff.

After the Falcons defense was exposed by a real offense, we currently sit at:

2014:

PPG: 19.6 (8th)
YPG: 344.1 (13th)
Opposing QBR: 84.0 (10th)
Sacks per game: 2.5 (13th)

2015:

PPG: 19.0 (7th)
YPG: 342.5 (12th)
Opposing QBR: 83.7 (8th)
Sacks per game: 4 (T-2nd)

Darrelle who?

After the Falcons defense was exposed by a real offense, we currently sit at:

2014:

PPG: 19.6 (8th)
YPG: 344.1 (13th)
Opposing QBR: 84.0 (10th)
Sacks per game: 2.5 (13th)

2015:

PPG: 19.0 (7th)
YPG: 342.5 (12th)
Opposing QBR: 83.7 (8th)
Sacks per game: 4 (T-2nd)

Darrelle who?

Well, compare the QB's we've faced so far to the murderer's row we faced during that 6 week stretch last year, and I think it's hard to call our stats this year more impressive. One thing I will say though is that the number of sacks we're getting is phenomenal, especially considering (in theory) the secondary isn't providing as many coverage sacks. Speaks to the improved depth and talent on the front 7.

Well, compare the QB's we've faced so far to the murderer's row we faced during that 6 week stretch last year, and I think it's hard to call our stats this year more impressive. One thing I will say though is that the number of sacks we're getting is phenomenal, especially considering (in theory) the secondary isn't providing as many coverage sacks. Speaks to the improved depth and talent on the front 7.

Rodgers was the only great QB we played last year. Manning started his decline the week he played us. Luck is good, but we've always had his number. We're playing him this weekend, so we'll get a chance to see how this defense performs against him.

People act like we faced high powered offenses week in and week out, which was not the case at all.

Pats just finished playing the best QB/offense they have left on their schedule and they are currently sitting at 16th in yards allowed/game and 10th in PPG allowed. They are also allowing just 40% 3rd down conversion rate (identical to last year.)

And that's with a couple of guys missing on defense tonight.

Really wish we didn't give up that TD at the end again. It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Cherry picked homerism stats

Take out the Pitt, Jax, Dal and Ind final drives

Pass defense
179.2 yards allowed per game (Tennessee is #1 with 184)
76.4 rating against (Only 5 teams are under 76)
6 TD (Only 6 teams have given up 6 or less) **
6 INT
5.9 yards per attempt (denver is 6.0 and the jests are 5.4)
16.4 points allowed per game (only 2 teams giving up more)

** And 3 of those were about 2 inches from not happening (Brown's TD was Garbage Time TD)

Q7vXCcj.jpg

Last edited:
Really wish we didn't give up that TD at the end again. It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Why?

Does the win count for less now, or something?

You can make the argument that it's better that it happened--better for the Pats not to have hymns sung to their amazing defense, blah blah blah. Just keep winning.

We have a good defense and have played Big ben, and the voted best QB luck, Taylor was supposedly an upcoming superstar, so give our group some credit, stats even back them up. It's our team and I'll take them over any defense. People must forget the times when backup and average qbs were lighting us up. Revis was good last year but he is gone so let it go, he loves the jets, even when they dumped him he still bled gangrene. Save your love for our team and the players on it, go to a game and yell your support and that breathe of air combined with all the others may just push a ball left of an upright and help us win.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back