PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will this defense be top ten? (hint: no)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Where will this defense rank?

• Top 5.

Votes: 31 18.2%
  • Top 10.

Votes: 88 51.8%
  • 10-20

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • 21-32

Votes: 10 5.9%

• Total voters
Currently 10th in points and 17th in yards

Currently 10th in points and 17th in yards

Expect those two numbers to climb in the coming weeks, given the slate of offenses we have coming up and (hopefully) the returns of Hightower and Sheard.

Stats of QBs we have faced so far. They haven't been as bad as some claim.

Big Ben: 67/89, 75.3%, 10.2 avg, 304 yards/game, 4 TD, 2 INT, 113.1 QB Rating
Tyrod Taylor: 96/137, 70.1%, 8.0 avg, 219.4 yards/game, 9 TD, 4 INT, 103.6 QB Rating
Blake Bortles: 138/242, 57%, 6.7 avg, 271.7 yards/game, 13 TD, 7 INT, 83.5 QB Rating
Brandon Weeden: 71/98, 72.4%, 7.5 avg, 184.5 yards/game, 2 TD, 2 INT, 92.1 QB Rating
Andrew Luck: 95/166, 57.2%, 6.4 avg, 266.2 yards/game, 8 TD, 7 INT, 75.0 QB Rating

Combined QB stats: 467/732, 65%, 7.4 avg, 259 yards/game, 36 TD, 22 INT, 91.3 QB Rating
Pass Defense stats: 122/190, 64.2%, 7.0 avg, 241.4 yards/game, 9 TD, 6 INT, 87.5 QB Rating

Statistically, Luck has been the worst - but talent wise he is probably second. Tyrod Taylor hasn't posted eye popping numbers, but looks like he has been efficient and has a 103.6 QB Rating. Blake Bortles has been quietly having a good season.

The quality of QBs goes down drastically from here to week 17.

Last edited:
Let's bump it before we get to into Miami prep

This defense has yet to live up to its potential....we should give it more time.

Really really insightful tweets by Mike Loyko

This defense has yet to live up to its potential....we should give it more time.

How can this be true? Our defense has no playmakers and will be in the 20s in every stat. That's what interception said. And he's really smart sooo.......

Taking out the opposing teams drives after the Pats reach a 99% win probability in the 2nd half.

13.5 ppg allowed
148 passing yards p/g allowed
97 rushing yards p/g allowed
245 total yards allowed
7 Passing TD allowed

Last edited:
Taking out the opposing teams drives after the Pats reach a 99% win probability in the 2nd half.

13.5 ppg allowed
148 passing yards p/g allowed
97 rushing yards p/g allowed
245 total yards allowed
That's impressive. Do you know how it compares to other teams when using the same filter for the defensive numbers?

Chat with Tedy Bruschi

bruschi chat today
Miguel(Indiana) [via mobile]
Thanks for answering my question last week! A new one for you this week: to me this secondary looks much like 2011 31st ranked against the pass squad. My question is, is this something that Belichick can adjust schematically, being the brilliant mind he is? Or should we expect a repeat of abysmal pass coverage and heartbreak at the end of the season like in 2011?
Tedy
Don't get caught up in statistics. Especially the ones that rank total yardage. There have been a good number of blowouts for the Patriots this year, and when teams are down by two-plus touchdowns, all they are going to is throw, and defenses are going to focus on taking away the big play and break down on the shorter throws. So they will rack up some yardage. These are two areas I'd be concerned about if you're looking at statistics: The Patriots are 28th on third down, and 28th in red-zone defense. Those are key situations. That's what I'm worried about right now.

That's impressive. Do you know how it compares to other teams when using the same filter for the defensive numbers?

Well I know Denver's defense has only had 2 drives when they've had a 99% of winning which was vs Detroit and Oakland

They're adjusted stats for that

16.5 ppg allowed
172 passing yards allowed p/g
89 rushing yards allowed p/g
261 yards allowed

So while no one is gonna say the Pats defense is as good as Denver this stat indicates they've been just as good statistically when they have had to be and allow Brady to put the game away.

Last edited:
This secondary is missing AT LEAST ONE starter-caliber CB, if not 2.

The pass rush since the Buffalo game hasn't been putting nearly as much pressure on the QB,
and whenever it does arrive, it sometimes runs itself right past the QB. Sheard's absence is huge.

Weakening Pass Rush + the Worst collection of CBs in the league = non-championship defense.

I'm sure other teams have points scored on them late in the game. Unless we subtract all those I don't think it's meaningful. Even then I don't think it's all that meaningful.

The pass rush since the Buffalo game hasn't been putting nearly as much pressure on the QB,
and whenever it does arrive, it sometimes runs itself right past the QB. Sheard's absence is huge.

Weakening Pass Rush + the Worst collection of CBs in the league = non-championship defense.

Weakening Pass Rush? jets came into the game allowing 2 sacks all season and the Pats doubled that. Luck had the heat put on him all of the 2nd half and got nothing except a garbage time TD when the Pats were rushing 3. They absolutely won the battle against Dallas' "vaunted" OL. And they got pressure on Bortles.

You really should changed your name to captain wrong.

Last edited:
I'm sure other teams have points scored on them late in the game. Unless we subtract all those I don't think it's meaningful. Even then I don't think it's all that meaningful.

I think it's more meaningful than you're giving credit for, although you certainly have a solid point that all of the other teams allow late game TDs as well.

One of the bigger pet peeves would be the use of the term "garbage time," as the score was 23-20 with about a minute left in the game. While this fits the definition for some, I guarantee that Belichick does not consider that garbage time.

Garbage time is when the score is 27-7 late in the game. It's when you're up 34-13. It probably shouldn't include one score games, where we've had 4/6 so far this year.

It probably shouldn't include one score games, where we've had 4/6 so far this year.

No clue where you are getting 4 out of 6 from. steelers and dolts never had the ball down 1 score. Their last drives made the final score 1 score but those weren't really 1 score games.

Only games where a team was down 1 score and had the ball at the end was the bills and jets. And the bills game would have never been that way if they didn't try to step on their throat and really when Gronk scored to go up 2 scores to make it 30-20 the game was over.

Well, compare the QB's we've faced so far to the murderer's row we faced during that 6 week stretch last year, and I think it's hard to call our stats this year more impressive. One thing I will say though is that the number of sacks we're getting is phenomenal, especially considering (in theory) the secondary isn't providing as many coverage sacks. Speaks to the improved depth and talent on the front 7.

Agree. The Pats final Strength of Schedule ranking last year was 10th as of now they are ranked 23rd.

No clue where you are getting 4 out of 6 from. steelers and dolts never had the ball down 1 score. Their last drives made the final score 1 score but those weren't really 1 score games.

Only games where a team was down 1 score and had the ball at the end was the bills and jets. And the bills game would have never been that way if they didn't try to step on their throat and really when Gronk scored to go up 2 scores to make it 30-20 the game was over.

I said that 4/6 games were within one score--which they were. I never mentioned one word about who had the ball at the end of the game. If you have the opportunity to attempt an onside kick, it shouldn't count as meaningless garbage time. That point is driven home in examples like last week's game, and the game vs. CLE where we recovered and came back to win.

Tonight's game was "garbage time," the game at DAL was garbage time. Last week's 23-20 score with 1:13 left sure as hell wasn't. Some of you guys tend to throw the term around quite loosely, that's all.

EDIT: I'm certainly not meaning to come close to downplaying the importance of your stats, as I find them relevant, meaningful, and downright...awesome. I'm just speaking on my pet peeve of what some here call garbage time.

Last edited:

MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
Back