PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will this defense be top ten? (hint: no)

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Where will this defense rank?

• Top 5.

Votes: 31 18.2%
  • Top 10.

Votes: 88 51.8%
  • 10-20

Votes: 41 24.1%
  • 21-32

Votes: 10 5.9%

• Total voters
Is 8.5 sacks through 7 games good for a slightly above average player? Asking for a friend

Chandler Jones is making the decision much harder in terms of who they may be able to keep out of the 3.

We all hope that they can keep every one of them somehow.

Chandler Jones is making the decision much harder in terms of who they may be able to keep out of the 3.

We all hope that they can keep every one of them somehow.
They will keep them all, also we at least have this season and one more at least. Let's enjoy them now instead of worrying about it.

What a spectacular performance tonight. This defense is easily a top 10 defense.
Best sequence was the statement series following the ST lapse and long run back that Gost had to stop. Sack - sack - pass stopped after three yards on third and long. Total domination by the Pats' defense.

And Chandler Jones fighting through two blockers for a sack. Determination. Rewarded.

And just think, we didn't even have Sheard in there tonight.

Stats are for Champs. Championships are for Chumps - Earnie Adams

I said that 4/6 games were within one score--which they were. I never mentioned one word about who had the ball at the end of the game. If you have the opportunity to attempt an onside kick, it shouldn't count as meaningless garbage time. That point is driven home in examples like last week's game, and the game vs. CLE where we recovered and came back to win.

Tonight's game was "garbage time," the game at DAL was garbage time. Last week's 23-20 score with 1:13 left sure as hell wasn't. Some of you guys tend to throw the term around quite loosely, that's all.

EDIT: I'm certainly not meaning to come close to downplaying the importance of your stats, as I find them relevant, meaningful, and downright...awesome. I'm just speaking on my pet peeve of what some here call garbage time.

30-20 with 2:30 left last week was absolutely garbage time.

Weakening Pass Rush? jets came into the game allowing 2 sacks all season and the Pats doubled that. Luck had the heat put on him all of the 2nd half and got nothing except a garbage time TD when the Pats were rushing 3. They absolutely won the battle against Dallas' "vaunted" OL. And they got pressure on Bortles.

You really should changed your name to captain wrong.

Nailed it.

And yet people were *****ing and complaining when the dolphins scored this defensive unit can still get better they still have yet to fully give us a complete game

And yet people were *****ing and complaining when the dolphins scored this defensive unit can still get better they still have yet to fully give us a complete game

I could argue they've improved each week.

30-20 with 2:30 left last week was absolutely garbage time.

I'm referring to last week's NYJ game where the score was 23-20 Pats with a little more than a minute to play. That isn't anything close to meaningless "garbage time," especially since the NYJ scored, recovered the onside kick, and had a chance to send it to OT after the Pats scored.

If you're trying to tell me that Bill Belichick views that situation as meaningless garbage time, I'd beg to differ. When the other team has a chance to tie it during the last play of the game (last week), it's probably NOT garbage time.

Last edited:
  • 2nd and 3 at NYJ 15
    (1:13 - 4th) Rob Gronkowski Pass From Tom Brady for 15 Yrds S.Gostkowski extra point is GOOD, Center-J.Cardona, Holder-R.Allen.
  • That made the score 30-20

• 1st and 10 at NE 32
        (5:32 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle to R.Gronkowski to NE 36 for 4 yards (M.Gilchrist). NE 87-Gronkowski 10th reception of game, new career best

• 2nd and 6 at NE 36
        (4:53 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to A.Dobson to NE 43 for 7 yards (D.Bailey, D.Revis). NE 12-Brady 68th career 300-yard game, 3rd most all-time

• 1st and 10 at NE 43
        (4:20 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Brady pass short left to D.Amendola pushed ob at NYJ 44 for 13 yards (B.Skrine)

• 1st and 10 at NYJ 44
        (3:34 - 4th) T.Brady pass short right to J.Edelman to NYJ 36 for 8 yards (A.Cromartie)

• 2nd and 2 at NYJ 36
        (2:52 - 4th) J.White left guard to NYJ 33 for 3 yards (D.Revis)

• 1st and 10 at NYJ 33
        (2:17 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short right to M.Williams (C.Pace)

• 2nd and 10 at NYJ 33
        (2:12 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass incomplete short right to B.LaFell

• 3rd and 10 at NYJ 33
        (2:06 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short middle to D.Amendola to NYJ 22 for 11 yards (B.Skrine)

• (2:00 - 4th) Two-Minute Warning

• 1st and 10 at NYJ 22
        (2:00 - 4th) (Shotgun) T.Brady pass short right to D.Amendola to NYJ 15 for 7 yards (D.Harris)

• 2nd and 3 at NYJ 15
        (1:13 - 4th) Rob Gronkowski Pass From Tom Brady for 15 Yrds S.Gostkowski extra point is GOOD, Center-J.Cardona, Holder-R.Allen.
    • i
      Field Goal6 plays, 43 yards, 0:55
      NYJ23NE30
      • (1:13 - 4th) S.Gostkowski kicks 65 yards from NE 35 to end zone, Touchback.

• 1st and 10 at NYJ 20
        (1:13 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short middle to B.Marshall

• 2nd and 10 at NYJ 20
        (1:09 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass deep middle to C.Owusu to NYJ 41 for 21 yards (D.Harmon)

• (1:00 - 4th) Timeout #1 by NYJ at 01:00.

• 1st and 10 at NYJ 41
        (1:00 - 4th) R.Fitzpatrick pass short right to B.Marshall pushed ob at NE 47 for 12 yards (L.Ryan). NYJ-W.Colon was injured during the play. NYJ-N.Mangold was injured during the play

• (0:54 - 4th) Timeout #2 by NYJ at 00:54.

• 1st and 10 at NE 47
        (0:54 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short middle to C.Owusu to NE 43 for 4 yards (P.Chung)

• 2nd and 6 at NE 43
        (0:23 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short middle to Z.Stacy to NE 32 for 11 yards (D.McCourty)

• (0:23 - 4th) Timeout #3 by NYJ at 00:23.

• 1st and 10 at NE 32
        (0:23 - 4th) (Field Goal formation) PENALTY on NYJ-J.Carpenter, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at NE 32 - No Play

• 1st and 15 at NE 37
        (0:18 - 4th) N.Folk 55 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-T.Purdum, Holder-S.Weatherford

• (0:18 - 4th) Timeout #1 by NE at 00:18.
    • i
      End of Game1 play, 7 yards, 0:18
      NYJ23NE30
      • (0:18 - 4th) (Onside Kick formation) N.Folk kicks onside 16 yards from NYJ 35 to NE 49. RECOVERED by NYJ-B.Marshall.

• 1st and 10 at NE 49
        (0:14 - 4th) R.Fitzpatrick pass short middle to E.Decker to NE 37 for 12 yards (P.Chung)

• 1st and 10 at NE 37
        (0:01 - 4th) PENALTY on NYJ-B.Marshall, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at NE 37 - No Play. 10 second runof

• END GAME

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back