PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Patriots trade Matt Light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like all transactions ... can you get a better player for the same or less money. I think Light played well this year and see no reason he can't have another season just as good. I'd rather see Vollmer on the right side for now so we can address other need positions.

Like all transactions ... can you get a better player for the same or less money. I think Light played well this year and see no reason he can't have another season just as good. I'd rather see Vollmer on the right side for now so we can address other need positions.

I'm of the oppinion that Vollmer on the Left, and Kazcur on the right leaves us with significantly better run blocking and similar pass blocking as Light on Left and Vollmer on the Right. Vollmer is completely wasted as a right tackle.

That, and I disagree with you that Light was good this year. He was a liability. I want him in Kansas City.

I'm of the oppinion that Vollmer on the Left, and Kazcur on the right leaves us with significantly better run blocking and similar pass blocking as Light on Left and Vollmer on the Right. Vollmer is completely wasted as a right tackle.

That, and I disagree with you that Light was good this year. He was a liability. I want him in Kansas City.

Kazcur almost got Brady killed this year. He was a turnstyle for most of the year. The best option is to keep light and Vollmer. Imagine a health Light, mankins, a stud guard and Vollmer. That would be a great line.

Kazcur almost got Brady killed this year. He was a turnstyle for most of the year. The best option is to keep light and Vollmer. Imagine a health Light, mankins, a stud guard and Vollmer. That would be a great line.

Kazcur was no worse than Light, and he wasn't getting near as much help. Light is 30+, and is injury prone. A healthy Light is about just as likely as a healthy Steven Neal.

You don't put your best lineman at RT, and right now, their best lineman is Vollmer.

Last edited:
I agree Synovia. The best tackle needs to be protecting Brady's blind side. It's too bad Light can't switch to LT, but Vollmer to LT strengthens the Patriots OL significantly IMO. The Patriots have had a JAG playing RT for years now and it has not been a big problem until this year... Bring in a veteral tackle and draft another, and things will be fine.

No matter what happens, Vollmer should be the starter at LT. Light had a horrible year.

Last edited:
You all might want to consider this when bashing Light:

Matt Light Injury

Patriots left tackle Matt Light shed a little light on a right knee injury he suffered this past season on ESPN's "Mike & Mike in the Morning" on Tuesday. Light revealed that the injury suffered against Denver in October was a dislocated kneecap and that it also "got a little bit of the MCL." He was injured in pass protection, an 11-yard completion from Tom Brady to Wes Welker and he showed up at practice on crutches the following day.

Source: ESPN

Respects,

No matter what happens, Vollmer should be the starter at LT. Light had a horrible year.

That Matt Light needing all that tight end help while Vollmer was killing it while he was in. Ruined the team I tells ya! Oh wait...

Kazcur was no worse than Light, and he wasn't getting near as much help. Light is 30+, and is injury prone. A healthy Light is about just as likely as a healthy Steven Neal.

You don't put your best lineman at RT, and right now, their best lineman is Vollmer.

can you explain why vollmer got spanked quite a bit at the end of season. Mario williams had his way with him. You loss objectivity when you argue like he did not struggle after coming back from his concussion.

It might suprise you but concussions do occur once they start and each time the games missed is more. Do you trust levoir or some rookie to play LT during those times.

I was never the biggest Matt Light fan, but good lord, he doesn't deserve half the criticism he's gotten in this thread.

Light at LT and Vollmer at RT is by far the best prospective OT combination for next season.

can you explain why vollmer got spanked quite a bit at the end of season. Mario williams had his way with him. You loss objectivity when you argue like he did not struggle after coming back from his concussion.

It might suprise you but concussions do occur once they start and each time the games missed is more. Do you trust levoir or some rookie to play LT during those times.

I don't rank Vollmer's job nearly as highly as some on here do, but I am fair to the guy. And, in all fairness, there aren't a lot of guys in the league that Mario Williams DIDN'T have his way with last season.

That Matt Light needing all that tight end help while Vollmer was killing it while he was in. Ruined the team I tells ya! Oh wait...
Vollmer had help from the TE against Freeney but he did a great job when he was one on one with Freeney. However, it took until late in the 4th quarter when Freeney finally beat him to kill a drive. Overall, Vollmer played fine for a rookie and for a team that loves to throw.

Obviously, Vollmer has more upside than Light. That is why I believe Vollmer will beat out Light for the LT job come September.

I might have been a little harsh on Light saying he had a horrible year, but he wasn't nearly as bad as Dan Koppen or Nick Kazcur.

Last edited:
Vollmer had help from the TE against Freeney but he did a great job when he was one on one with Freeney. However, it took until late in the 4th quarter when Freeney finally beat him to kill a drive. Overall, Vollmer played fine for a rookie and for a team that loves to throw.

Obviously, Vollmer has more upside than Light. That is why I believe Vollmer will beat out Light for the LT job come September.

I might have been a little harsh on Light saying he had a horrible year, but he wasn't nearly as bad as Dan Koppen or Nick Kazcur.

The problem is that Vollmer got help on something like 90+% if the snaps, and it wasn't always by a tight end. But I will agree that he has more upside. With time, he could be great. Just not right now. And I'm not very high on Kaczur as a RT either. I think he would be a better fit as a RG in the event that Neal (who has not been dependable health-wise) does not return.

Given the age that premier left tackles can hang around in the league performing at a reasonably high level, I wouldn't in a hurry to move Light at all. I saw nothing in his game this season that showed his play falling off a cliff. He's a solid and stable performer -- not all-World -- but he plays well enough.

Kaczur and Koppen are the biggest liabilities in my book. Kaczur has never really been a strong presence, and Koppen in my eyes took a step backwards this season.

light and volmer>volmer and Kaczur

Given the age that premier left tackles can hang around in the league performing at a reasonably high level, I wouldn't in a hurry to move Light at all. I saw nothing in his game this season that showed his play falling off a cliff. He's a solid and stable performer -- not all-World -- but he plays well enough.

Kaczur and Koppen are the biggest liabilities in my book. Kaczur has never really been a strong presence, and Koppen in my eyes took a step backwards this season.

Aye. I still have very bad memories of Kaczur getting abused by Strahan. Strahan even said in "America's Game" that he can tell Kaczur wanted help, stating how wide Kaczur's eyes were before every play. On the sideline, he was telling either Justin Tuck or Osi Uminyiora how he couldn't understand why we kept leaving Kaczur one on one with him.

Last edited:
Matt Light is not the problem. Kaczur was injured, and shouldnt have been playing. Vollmer will be very good,,,,in time. The tackle position is not an area of concern, provided they are healthy which was not the case in 09.

RG is a major concern. Its a proven fact that when Neal goes down, the line just doesnt hold up well. Too bad he goes down far too often. This position, along with LB, is my biggest concern. There are a couple of guys already on the roster that are a mystery (to us), but i would surprised if BB didnt draft another guard this year.

Kaczur will likely move to right guard. If Mankins is not extended before the draft, I expect that we will draft a guard to develop for 2011 with Connolly, Wendell and Orhnberger.

Matt Light is not the problem. Kaczur was injured, and shouldnt have been playing. Vollmer will be very good,,,,in time. The tackle position is not an area of concern, provided they are healthy which was not the case in 09.

RG is a major concern. Its a proven fact that when Neal goes down, the line just doesnt hold up well. Too bad he goes down far too often. This position, along with LB, is my biggest concern. There are a couple of guys already on the roster that are a mystery (to us), but i would surprised if BB didnt draft another guard this year.

It's all well and good saying 'Lets move Kaczur to guard' but can he actually play there? Hasn't he been a tackle since his college days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3