PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the Patriots trade Matt Light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTS-80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I really like Matt Light.

But I was thinking, do you think its possible that we could get a 1st round pick for Light, install Vollmer as the LT, and have Kaczur compete with a rookie we draft in the lower rounds for RT?

If Vollmer is indeed our LT of the future, I'm wondering if BB doesn't just try to get something for Light now instead of letting him walk in the future and get nothing.

Disclaimer: I really like Matt Light.

But I was thinking, do you think its possible that we could get a 1st round pick for Light, install Vollmer as the LT, and have Kaczur compete with a rookie we draft in the lower rounds for RT?

If Vollmer is indeed our LT of the future, I'm wondering if BB doesn't just try to get something for Light now instead of letting him walk in the future and get nothing.

I hate Light was well and like your idea, I doubt we can get a 1st but a 2nd might be possible.

Light is in steady decline and has 1 yr left at $4.5 million base salary.

I'm not sure he can make the team and I am positive he is not worth his contract as a backup LT who can't play on the right side.

Very optimistic to think anyone would give up a 2nd rounder for Light. Even a 3rd rounder would be optimistic.

I'd say he is more likely to take a pay cut to remain with the team as a backup or simply get cut and sign elsewhere for less money.

Pros to trade: A draft pick - most likely a third or lower for a one year contract, making room for a developing rookie to grow.

Cons to trade: Locker room (he's an OL & team leader), inexpensive Pro-Bowl LT, continuity on the OL - especially one which may be looking for a new RG.

The trade offer would need to be fairly substantial to outweigh the Cons. The only other factor to consider is if BB and Dante believed this was the time to lose a player a year early, but I didn't see anything to tell me Light's skills were diminishing.

I agree Light; I didn't see his skill diminishing.

There is a lot of teams that just do not have a startable LT, the Chiefs and Seahawks come to mind. Somebody should take the gamble that Light will be productive over a four year period, than a rookie playing over a four year contract.

I can't imagine anyone giving up a first or second for Light. If there is, please do it.

I wonder if he'd fit in at guard. They tried him at right tackle in his rookie season and BB said it just wasn't a good fit for him, but if he could take over for Neal on the inside, that could be good. Plus his lack of quickness wouldn't be such a liability as he wouldn't be facing speed rushers. And in the event of injury, he could always slide back to left tackle.

Last edited:
light? i doubt it

kaczur? possibly

we would first have to know what happens with neal, if he leaves, well have to know if kazcur can play gaurd....if he cant, well prob move him over, and draft a RT

however, not accounting for contract, i easily see teams giving up a 1st for Light....the guy is a pro bowl LT

You mean Todd Light? ;)

I have no problems with Light. I believe that it's possible he might be traded or cut, but he has too many positives to just dump him. Besides that, who is gonna take his place?

Unless Light has somehow morphed into a man who's comfortable on the right side of the line after all these years, I think people should expect that Light will be the team's starting left tackle and Vollmer will start at right tackle.

Why not move either him or Vollmer to RT and try kaczur at guard?

Trading Matt Light right now will be a mistake, IMO. He's the best tackle we have on the roster. I want to see Light at LT next season to give Vollmer another year to mature in our offense. After that, Vollmer should be ready to play LT. That said, it wouldn't shock me at all to see Light traded if the return value is good enough. I wouldn't agree with it, but it wouldn't shock me.

I think this is a bad idea

1)Vollmer got an concussion and missed a few games already.
2)When he came back he was getting beaten quite a bit and was not himself.

this is a very small sample of what he can do , if he had played the same way all year and did not have the concussion i would say yes , but once players get a few concussion they are not the same .NEAL major issue is concussion. He is more often on the report with head injury.

We do not even know if he can have any consitenty look at mcneil he was a stud LT for 2 yr and then has faded. quality LT are very rare and its even rarer to find someone who can last as light did. I would ride this . Look at the colts they drated tony early second round and for the first year he was very good. then he had a few injuries and has disappered forcing them to start a 7th rd pick this year.

"Mr. Davis, the Patriots front office is on line 2 for you"

Crazy old man took Billy for a ride with that Burgess fiasco....3rd rdr for that guy was a serious waste.

I hope the starting lineup is:
LT Vollmer, LG Light, C Koppen, RG Mankins, RT Kaczur

Backups, the best five of:
LeVoir, Connolly, Bussey, Wendell, Orhnberger, and two latter draft picks.
*Make one of the picks a second if Scar loves the guy*

Reasons:
1) You can't rebuilt a whole team in one year. Other areas of the team take precedence.
2) I really think you can run behind this line.
3) Brady never has to worry about his backside.
4) Scar has time to develop new lineman for 2011.

*Trading Light puts the offensive line behind the 8-ball and undermines the locker-room.*

I hope the starting lineup is:
LT Vollmer, LG Light, C Koppen, RG Mankins, RT Kaczur

Backups, the best five of:
LeVoir, Connolly, Bussey, Wendell, Orhnberger, and two latter draft picks.
*Make one of the picks a second if Scar loves the guy*

Reasons:
1) You can't rebuilt a whole team in one year. Other areas of the team take precedence.
2) I really think you can run behind this line.
3) Brady never has to worry about his backside.
4) Scar has time to develop new lineman for 2011.

*Trading Light puts the offensive line behind the 8-ball and undermines the locker-room.*

I think that would be a bad line-up. Personally, I would like to see this:

Light - Mankins - Koppen - Kaczur/draft pick - Vollmer

I think that would be a bad line-up. Personally, I would like to see this:

Light - Mankins - Koppen - Kaczur/draft pick - Vollmer

Thats what I would like to see as well. Maybe in 2011 Vollmer will move over to LT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back