• Yes

Votes: 188 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 41 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not saying cut the guy. I am saying he only stays if they keep 5 RBs or there is a real concern about Morris.
"You have more waffles,
Than a House of Pancakes...."

Up until a day or so ago, it was "he's NOT making the team" and "you can go in the back alley and pick up a homeless bum to run like he does".

Now it's "He won't be a starter" or "He'll only make the team if they keep 5 RB's".

In other words, I hear some degree of back pedaling going on here. As much as there are people here who seem to blindly support the guy despite the facts, there are just as many who want to tear him down despite the facts. Maybe Morris won't be available until week 6. Maybe they trade Maroney (doubt it), maybe they keep 5 backs... however it happens, I think he will make the team. Then again, maybe he gets cut or traded.

I don't think he's the best (or second or third best) RB on the team, but I think he can make a worthwile contribution to the team. He gives everything he has, had a couple of good games last year (building block games) and since he was undrafted he's an underdog. I think between the underdog status and giving it his all, and doing well enough last year while filling in, he's won alot of fan support. We'll know in about 36 hours if he's made a good enough impression on the ONLY guy that counts when it comes to the 53 man roster.

LOL! How is it backtracking. I still don't think the Pats will keep 5 RB. That means I still think BJGE will probably be the one to go. I do like your idea of building a time machine and having Belichick go back to before training camp started and putting Morris on the PUP so he can now be put on the regular season PUP.

Also, let me get this straight? You are mocking people for supposably back tracking. And you feel BJGE will make the team, well unless he is cut or traded.

You shouldn't throw stones.

"You have more waffles,
Than a House of Pancakes...."

Yes, I am waffling because from the start I said that I didn't think BJGE would make the team unless they keep 5 RBs. Now I am hedging my bets by revising that to saying that if they keep 5 RBs, BJGE will make the team. You got me there. I still don't think they will keep 5 RBs. The only thing that has changed is that we don't know what is going on with Morris.

I still say that assuming there is nothing wrong with Morris, BJGE faces a tough challenge to make this team. I think he has become better trade bait though.

BTW, if you look at post #108 which I posted before tonight's game. My tune hasn't changed at all based on tonight's game.

Last edited:
LOL! How is it backtracking. I still don't think the Pats will keep 5 RB. That means I still think BJGE will probably be the one to go. I do like your idea of building a time machine and having Belichick go back to before training camp started and putting Morris on the PUP so he can now be put on the regular season PUP.

Also, let me get this straight? You are mocking people for supposably back tracking. And you feel BJGE will make the team, well unless he is cut or traded.

You shouldn't throw stones.

LOL! -who said I was specifically addressing you?

You got me on the PUP- forgot about that- so you got me there.

My point about "cut or traded" is I have no idea what's going to happen until it gets released (RE the 53 man roster) but if I had to guess I think he'll make the team, and I think he deserves it if he does. I realize anything I say is pure speculation and it's not going to make a bit of difference in my day to day life either way, so whatever happens happens.

LOL! -who said I was specifically addressing you?

You got me on the PUP- forgot about that- so you got me there.

My point about "cut or traded" is I have no idea what's going to happen until it gets released (RE the 53 man roster) but if I had to guess I think he'll make the team, and I think he deserves it if he does. I realize anything I say is pure speculation and it's not going to make a bit of difference in my day to day life either way, so whatever happens happens.

This is a message board where people give their opinions. No one knows what Belichick is going to do. Most people on this board and in the media were convinced that Cassel was going to get cut around this time last year. People thought guys like Bam Childress and Patrick Cobbs would make the roster too.

Personally, I think people put too much emphasis on preseason games and don't look at performances in the particular situation. I admit right now that I could very well be wrong in my prediction and I will take my lumps if I am. But then again, so may the people who say there is no way he isn't going to make the roster.

We can't cut him. If nothing else we need to place him on PUP. The track record of the other RB's would seem to indicate that at least one of them will be injured by week 6 so that move would likely prove to be a wise one.

We can't cut him. If nothing else we need to place him on PUP. The track record of the other RB's would seem to indicate that at least one of them will be injured by week 6 so that move would likely prove to be a wise one.

Perhaps a refresher course in how the PUP works is in order.......

On the PUP with what? The guy is healthy as the proverbial horse.

Green-Ellis won't be cut. He'll stick, or he'll be traded ala Patrick Cobbs a few years ago.

I still don't think we keep 5 RB, although at this point I wouldn't be totally shocked if BJGE gets a spot over Morris. If I had to bet, though, I'd still bet against him making the 53, even after tonight.

I still don't think we keep 5 RB, although at this point I wouldn't be totally shocked if BJGE gets a spot over Morris. If I had to bet, though, I'd still bet against him making the 53, even after tonight.

At this point I'll bet the guy is wondering what he has to do to make the team. In his only REGULAR-SEASON start he gained over 100 yards.

At this point I'll bet the guy is wondering what he has to do to make the team. In his only REGULAR-SEASON start he gained over 100 yards.

See my sig...

Oh and our own Chris Price thinks he's in.

Ten Things We Learned Last Night: Finally, The Preseason Finale

Fri, 09/04/2009 - 2:43am
By Christopher Price

BenJarvus Green-Ellis has won himself a spot on the 53-man roster.

He started 3 games last year in the regular season (St. Louis, Indy, and the Jets) and did not get 100 yards in any of those games (or in the three starts combined). St. Louis he got 16 yards on 9 carries and a TD, Indy he had 57 yards on 15 carries and a TD, and the Jets he had 9 yards on 2 carries. Against, Buffalo he was a back up and got 105 yards on 26 carries and a TD.

People seem to misremember BJGE's season last year and think it was far better than it was.

BenJarvus Green-Ellis: Game Logs

NFL.com had this to say in their game report..

BenJarvus Green-Ellis is a force: The Patriots kept five running backs last season and again look to be loaded in the backfield with Fred Taylor, Laurence Maroney, Kevin Faulk, Sammy Morris and Green-Ellis. That said, there is a chance the Patriots will have to cut one from that group. Green-Ellis capped a strong preseason (5.1 yards per carry) with three touchdowns and 147 yards from scrimmage, meaning Morris could be the odd man out. The nine-year veteran, who was the Patriots' leading rusher last season, didn't take the field in the preseason because of an injury.

Last edited:
I know they tell a much more comprehensive story than a collage of random anecdotes. I find it laughable that you're telling me to set aside my agenda, as if you're the voice of objectivity in this whole matter.

And what will it tell you when Maroney is, once again, the starting RB for the Patriots this year?

It will tell me that Maroney was a high draft pick with a world of athletic ability and very high ceiling for success. Yet, to me, Green-Ellis has far more football smarts.

Listen. don't get me wrong. I WANT to be wrong about Maroney. I just get a sinking feeling his heart is not all the way into it. AND I HATE THE DANCING! Wait - hesitation. ;)

Here's to a terrific season, folks!!!

What time is the roster due out tomorrow? 4PM? I'm guessing a few cuts might come today and/or maybe a trade.

Can't wait for the regular season to begin! Football season is again upon us!!!

NFL.com had this to say in their game report..

NFL.com would be wrong. The Patriots did not keep 5 RBs on the roster last year. They kept 4 RBs and a FB. BJGE started on the PS and wasn't activated until Maroney was IRed

It will tell me that Maroney was a high draft pick with a world of athletic ability and very high ceiling for success. Yet, to me, Green-Ellis has far more football smarts.

Listen. don't get me wrong. I WANT to be wrong about Maroney. I just get a sinking feeling his heart is not all the way into it. AND I HATE THE DANCING! Wait - hesitation. ;)

Here's to a terrific season, folks!!!

People need to go back and look at the holes that weren't there when they were supposed to be. Even Taylor had issues running behind the 1st string O-line during pre-season. They need to scrap the zone blocking completely. For whatever reason, the Pats O-linemen aren't effective when using it. When they are blocking in-line, they are great and the holes open up..

Two things:

1. Playing against second-stringers also means (for the most part) playing with second-stringers. Sure, he is going up against lesser quality talent than Maroney or Taylor would, but he also has inexperienced linemen and wide receivers blocking for him, impacting his results.

No, it doesn't.

2. He doesn't chose what plays he's in on. Criticizing him for not delivering against first-stringers is like criticizing a team for starting the season 5-0 against terrible teams: they don't choose their own schedule. You perform against whoever is put in front of you. BGJE doesn't choose the defensive players, so you can't hold that against him. All he can do is perform his best with the talent on the field for the play.

Against the 1st string Giants defense, BJGE had like 18 carries for 48 yards at one point.... So, forgive me for not being over-awed at his abilities..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST