PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Patriots 53-Man Roster Projection 2.0

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots 53-Man Roster Projection 2.0
Steve Balestrieri
Stevenson and Elliott will provide the team with a dual tandem that is quite capable and will ease the wear on each, keeping fresh legs.

The post Patriots 53-Man Roster Projection 2.0 appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

The lack of depth on this team is going to cause some serious problems down the road. This is a solid club. Not loaded with star talent but definitely capable of getting **** done and making a run if they can get hot at the right time. I like the addition of Zeke. Feel like he adds some grind it out dawg to the offense and Rham gets dinged up wuite a bit. Not concerned with Harris or Strong. I think they’re developing pretty well but would feel a tad bit more comfortable if they added another dynamic guy. Maybe Marcus Jones is that guy?

If the rookies show up the way many of us feel they’re going to (White, Mapu, Gonzales) then we will have a really solid club going forward and the future will be bright. Hopefully the plethora of offensive linemen we have drafted nets us at least a few guys that can take starter roles within a season or become key backups. Spend next draft focusing on offensive skill positions and we’ll have a young team ready to compete year in and year out.

I’ve reviewed what I wrote and it seemed to make sense but I just spent a wk in the ICU so I apologize to everyone if I’m not making sense. Good write up Steve. Thanks!

Good job. Concerned about Godchaux and Guy the only middle run stoppers. Not a big Davis fan, just think maybe need another body there.
Lot of Linebackers. Are Mapu and Wilson redundant? Wasn't too impressed with Wilson last year, maybe his role will be more specialized this year. Not a Bryant fan. Maybe as a safety but how many safeties do we need? Is Bledsoe a luxury?
I will add Davis, cut Wilson and Bryant, Keep Bledsoe and it's a heresy I know, but I will cut Slater and keep Speed. I think I have one spot left.

Did I miss Trey Flowers?

seems as good as any; no major choices at this point
=====================
1) I suspect Montgomery will make the 53 and then be placed on IR.
2) ditto for Russey.
3) ditto for Gesecki.
4) I'd cut Wilson in favor of Flowers.
5) Speed and Bledsoe are close for me.

I’ve reviewed what I wrote and it seemed to make sense but I just spent a wk in the ICU so I apologize to everyone if I’m not making sense.
Wow, sorry to hear that, and definitely hope you get better. Get plenty of rest, it’s going to be a long year, we are going to need you this season :)

I’ve reviewed what I wrote and it seemed to make sense but I just spent a wk in the ICU so I apologize to everyone if I’m not making sense. Good write up Steve. Thanks!
I know we all wish you the very best. As a fella myself who rarely makes sense even under ideal circumstances, I am with you.

I don't see much to object to here. I might try to sneak Zappe onto the p-squad and concentrate on developing Cunningham, but I certainly understand the option shown. You might well lose Zappe in the waiver process. On the other hand, we do have a number of promising young players whom we could keep at a the cost of losing a predictably mediocre player like Zappe. That's a deal I'd make, but I might be wrong.

I understand the Boutte decision. He's a trick-and-a-half pony - good hands and excellent contortional skills - but that's probably not enough to make him an NFL receiver. Practice squad? Sure, unless something better comes along, which it well could. Wasn't Tre Nixon Scarnecchia's courtesy pick, so that the last vestige of Scar will be gone? Kinda sad. (That was a horrible drop on. Thursday, though, so....) If Ju Ju holds up past week three, I'll be surprised. Nice to have Pop in the wings.

We need to get an old-school, fat guy, inline, Immovable Object tight end. We should have picked one up in the draft, but we didn't. Bird-dog the waiver wire. This TE room is WAY too thin, isn't it, in more ways than one. Where's the beef?

"Raleigh Webb" may leave us. Who's he? Any relation to Jack?

All in all, the decisions in this early roster projection are good. I wish I could say the result will be a good team, but the best I see to this point is a mediocre one, with awful exposure to the risks associated with the injuries inevitable in the NFL.

Patriots 53-Man Roster Projection 2.0
Steve Balestrieri
Stevenson and Elliott will provide the team with a dual tandem that is quite capable and will ease the wear on each, keeping fresh legs.

The post Patriots 53-Man Roster Projection 2.0 appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

QB - Not willing to give Cunningham a spot on the 53 just yet.

RB - Agree

WR - Add Booty

TE - Agree

OL - Russey to IR; add Jake Andrews.

DL - Agree; also agree that Davis & Sam Roberts were tough cuts.

LB - Replace Jalopy Tavai with Ronnie Perkins.

CB - Replace Myles Away with Ameer Speed.

Safety - Replace Bedsore with Shaun Wade.

STs - Agree

Looks like the 53rd spot might be given to either Cunningham or Booty; BIG next couple of weeks for them in particular.

The lack of depth on this team is going to cause some serious problems down the road. This is a solid club. Not loaded with star talent but definitely capable of getting **** done and making a run if they can get hot at the right time. I like the addition of Zeke. Feel like he adds some grind it out dawg to the offense and Rham gets dinged up wuite a bit. Not concerned with Harris or Strong. I think they’re developing pretty well but would feel a tad bit more comfortable if they added another dynamic guy. Maybe Marcus Jones is that guy?

If the rookies show up the way many of us feel they’re going to (White, Mapu, Gonzales) then we will have a really solid club going forward and the future will be bright. Hopefully the plethora of offensive linemen we have drafted nets us at least a few guys that can take starter roles within a season or become key backups. Spend next draft focusing on offensive skill positions and we’ll have a young team ready to compete year in and year out.

Get well soon!

REDO
=====================
OFFENSE 24 - Your 23 plus one (Andrews)
1) I suspect Montgomery will be cut and brought back later (PS is possible, as is IR)
2) OK for Russey, but then put on IR with Ferentz back within the week
3) OK for Gesecki, but then on IR creating a roster spot, so back to 23
4) Jake Andrews will be on the 53. He's a 4th rounder that needs to be practicing every day this year.
=====================
DEFENSE - 24 (one fewer than you, and then back up when Bryant is re-signed)
5) I'd cut Wilson in favor of Flowers.
6) I'd cut Bryant for a day. 9Yes, we could lose him, but no big loss if that happens)
=======================
7) Speed and Bledsoe are close for me, but there is no room on the 53.
==================

OFFENSE 24 - Your 23 plus one (Andrews)
1) I suspect Montgomery will be cut and brought back later (PS is possible, as is IR)
2) OK for Russey, but then put on IR with Ferentz back within the week
3) OK for Gesecki, but then on IR creating a roster spot, so back to 23
4) Jake Andrews will be on the 53. He's a 4th rounder that needs to be practicing every day this year.
=====================
DEFENSE - 24 (one fewer than you, and then back up when Bryant is re-signed)
5) I'd cut Wilson in favor of Flowers.
6) I'd cut Bryant for a day. 9Yes, we could lose him, but no big loss if that happens)
7) Speed and Bledsoe are close for me, but there is no room on the 53.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

=====================
1) I suspect Montgomery will make the 53 and then be placed on IR.
2) ditto for Russey.
3) ditto for Gesecki.
4) I'd cut Wilson in favor of Flowers.
5) Speed and Bledsoe are close for me.
Dumb post on my part: ignore. - Thelonious

Last edited:
I'd cut Bledsoe and Guy and add Boutte and Carl Davis.
I have no idea what Carl Davis can or cannot be. I'm not sure anybody does. I think Boutte, though he may simply be too slow to succeed, is worth a further look. So all in all, I agree.

1) I do not see how this makes sense at all. We need to see what he can become. That will not happen with him on the IR. It could happen to degree on the PS, but there's not a chance in h--l we could get him there. He's on the roster, either as a third QB, or as a receiver nominally, or as the backup, replacing Zappe, whom we are much more likely to get onto the PS. If we don't, that's OK. Zappe's a serviceable backup, yes, but those you can generally find as cuts are made. As for Montgomery, on the other hand, there are multiple reasons to hold onto him: his value as a practice player, his upside potential, his teammates seem to respect him, he's cheap, he offers some interesting options as a step-in performer during games, which will be fun for BO'B and maybe for us as well. This is a team rather early in a rebuild. We cannot afford in that phase to sacrifice potential for sure but mediocre play, particularly at a secondary position such as backup qb, and particularly where we are not yet certain as to the actual merit of our present QB1. (Not necessarily a knock on Mac, but we do not know what we do not know, and last year we learned virtually nothing (under the Bearded Blowhard) about him, except that he does not suffer fools gladly, a virtue in my view.)

2) Don't really care.

3) Hope not. He's likely to be a useful player, maybe a bit more perhaps. And it's not as if we are awash with intriguing options at the position, though I think we can probably find an aging bulldozer TE rusting away in a field somewhere as cuts are made. After all, a number of teams, unlike us, were smart enough to pick up one of promising tight ends in the draft, so older and lesser TE's will be likely become available over coming weeks.

4) Flowers is old. If you factor in his leadership role, he's worth keeping, and we do have some depth at this position, but I don't think that this team is good enough that we can let potential walk and hold onto a player in decline.

5) I am indifferent as to the fate of these two, barring some sort of unexpected turnaround. Put 'em on the practice squad if you want to keep an eye on them.
IR is for 4 weeks. A player put on IR after the cutdown will be available for Game 5.

A) Do you think that Gesecki will be ready before then? Will Russey? I don't see us rushing either of them back.

B) Montgomery is injured. I don't see anyone claiming him. I expect that he will be back on the team when he is healthy. If he is close to ready, I could see him making the 53,

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back