Welcome to PatsFans.com

Will BenJarvus Green-Ellis Make the 53?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Mike the Brit, Sep 1, 2009.

?

Will BenJarvus Green-Ellis Make the 53?

Poll closed Sep 6, 2009.
  1. Yes

188 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. No

41 vote(s)
    17.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +207 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

A simple yes-no question in all of the roster cutdown scenarios.
  2. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +493 / 5 / -1

I'm voting no just because I don't think the Pats can afford to carry 5 RBs due to needs to keep other players in other areas. If the Pats are planning to do more 4-3 and still staying with the 3-4 too, they will need to carry an extra LB or d-lineman or two.
  3. JD10367

JD10367 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, it's not a simple yes or no question. The two factors are:

1) how secure Belichick feels with Maroney and Taylor and Morris, and

2) how many people Belichick keeps at other positions.

On the first point, I'd bet he probably doesn't feel that secure, given Maroney's coming off injury, Taylor's around 96 years old, and Morris has also shown to miss games with injury.

On the second point, he's not keeping a "real" fullback. He'll probably go with six wideouts (if not seven) given the depth and importance. The key question is at tight end. Is Smith a goner? Will someone dangle a "too good to refuse" trade for Watson? If he only keeps two TEs, then he'll have room for BJGE.
  4. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That would be a valid concern if BJGE was above replacement level, but hes not. Even if you're afraid your entire RB staff is going to fall over and die, theres no reason to give a replacement level player a roster spot. You can pick guys like him up in the middle of the season.
  5. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +205 / 4 / -5

I can't recall BB ever keeping just two TEs. Even last year, when he basically ran a one-TE offense, he still kept three TEs.
  6. N.Eman

N.Eman Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Kid has good potential, I love how he is explosive hitting the hole for good yardage. Not saying he's LT, but apart that he's proven to be durable, has good feet and moves the ball hard.
  7. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

What part of 3.7ypc is good yardage?
  8. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +207 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

The part where you remember how many of his carries were in short yardage situations (e.g. see how many touchdowns he has).
  9. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +207 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

The question is simple -- the factors that go into deciding your answer may be complex ... :D
  10. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

idk....that is a big question this year though...

but since morris and fred will be gone soon, and since maroney is a ?, and faulk is getting older.....yes, i think BB keeps him
  11. RussFrancis

RussFrancis Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think the amount of attention BJGE draws in a backfield with Brady throwing to Moss and co. would differ tremendously from playing with Cassel. Teams didnt respect Cassel much at all. Theyre not gonna be stacking any lines with Brady QBing this team. I say keep him. He gets no respect here because of all the old guys we're keeping and Maroney's 1st round status.
  12. PatsfanGlo

PatsfanGlo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maroney hasn't played full season since he was drafted by Pats. Doesn't necessary mean he will be injured again this season but its hard to imagine BB having blind faith he won't be.

Fred Taylor is 33 year along with Sammy Morris who is 32 along with Kevin Faulk who is 33 as well. Faulk has been pretty durable for us but with Morris playing sparingly this pre-season, I think it is sensible thing to have young capable back up.
  13. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +224 / 17 / -2

1) I wouldn't be surprised if Belichick signed a short-yardage back or a fullback, even at this late date.
    2) Morris is back at practice. There is not now, nor has there ever been, a reason to carry five running backs, with no fullbacks among the five.
    3) If Belichick wants extra insurance against injuries to two or three of the four running backs, then there are two options: a street free agent when all those injuries happen or picking up a better player than Green-Ellis before Game 2.
    4) IMHO, Green-Ellis just isn't worth as much as the special teamer or OT that would be cut in order to keep him on the roster. I could see risking having 8 OL's for six weeks in order to carry a veteran running back as insurance, but not Green-Ellis.

BOTTOM LINE
    I feel much more strongly that Green-Ellis doesn't belong on the 53 than I do that we couldn't improve the team by bringing in a running to upgrade the team at certain skill sets.

Green-Ellis isn't better than ANY of our four running backs, not at any skill.
  14. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0

Any given team can find a player like BJGE at any given time in the year, though thats no discredit to his strength or work ethic, or running hard, etc.. The depth at RB is just too strong to carry a young, low-ceiling RB. I wish they hadn't used up his PS eligibility last season, but it is what it is - he's not one of the best 53 players on this team, or one of the best 4 RBs.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  15. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

You're making a very good point here. BJGE's real game totals come with Cassel at QB.

I hope we see BJGE early and often this week.

3 TE's 5 RB's. I'm almost positive. And being wrong here doesn't mean much anyway, lol.
  16. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +343 / 6 / -7

Bam Childress redux.
  17. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

I'm shocked that so many of you think he's going to make it with Morris, Taylor, Maroney and Faulk around.
  18. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

So why is Chris Taylor here as well?

If BJGE has little chance to make the team does that mean Chris Taylor has NO chance?
  19. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +224 / 17 / -2

Chris Taylor has NO chance. Someone has play garbage time in preseason games. Green-Ellis and Taylor have done fine in that role.

20. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +849 / 44 / -48

Disable Jersey

Interesting options for this poll, but I think the most likely scenario is absent from it:

YES, but with another team.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.