• Yes

Votes: 188 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 41 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a tough one. He's never made it onto any of my projected 53s, but he's getting closer.

I'm not as sure as I once was that his limit actually is a JAG/guy-who-can-be-picked-up-at-any-point/replacement level type player. Whilst admittedly it's been almost entirely against the 3rd stringers, he has looked more explosive this pre-season. I'm starting to believe he has progressed quite a bit, and just may be a better use of a roster spot than a 4th TE.

I'm pretty sure I saw #42 in on special teams in the later part of the game on Friday. He's obviously been working with SOME level of the STs units.

Is it better to have another RB/Ster than a guy on ST's who has a position he'll never get the chance to play?

Dunno. Just thinking out loud at this point. It can be validly argued either way.

Have Maroney and Morris missed a significant number of regular

season games the last couple of years?

When did regular season and training camp/exhibition season become one and the same?

I'm pretty sure I saw #42 in on special teams in the later part of the game on Friday. He's obviously been working with SOME level of the STs units.

Is it better to have another RB/Ster than a guy on ST's who has a position he'll never get the chance to play?

Dunno. Just thinking out loud at this point. It can be validly argued either way.

I saw that too, and it is clearly in his favor. But he is nto a core ST guy and I'm not sure they would dress him just to fill out STs (guys like Sanders can do that). If they would keep him, I would expect the 5th RB to be inactive.

When did regular season and training camp/exhibition season become one and the same?

The reason to keep BJGE is insurance. These other two guys have been

injury prone the past couple of years. They have already missed practice

time in training camp. In addition, Fred Taylor is 33 years old and had

injury issues last year. My guess is that BJGE will be cut. By week four,

a running back will be injured and Chris Taylor or Omar Cuff will be on

the roster.

the roster.

If the only reason you're keeping BJGE is for insurance, and you end up cutting a player who might have a legitimate future for your team, you've chosen poorly. Very poorly.

I voted "no". I like him OK... but he's not the second coming of Jim Brown. I figure BB can find someone in November, a street free agent, who can come in and do the job if none of the 4 guys in front of him are good enough.

Heath Evans came in and did OK. He was just a guy they brought in. No Pro Bowls. No hype. Just came in and did it.

the roster.

I concur. I am very much on the fence with BJGE. Morris, Taylor and Maroney all have recent histories of injury. However keeping 5 RBs just for insurance purposes b/c you THINK someone will get hurt and subtract a player who SHOULD be on the roster b/c they WILL contribute more regularly doesn't make sense either. I think they trade him to KC!

Last edited:
I voted, but it isn't a simple question. I think they will keep 5 RBs. Others think Maroney will be cut opoeing a spot for BJGE. Very big difference if you want to draw any conclusions from this poll.

It's like an election -- Obama or McCain: simple question, lots and lots of factors to take into account in answering. And, as you say, people may vote for one or the other for quite different reasons. They may evaluate different aspects differently or they may just disagree about their importance.

I guess that the reason I wanted the poll was to get a simple snapshot in all the complexity -- just for interest.

If all else is equal, then you'd rather have a guy who can play his position, too. A more accurate way to phrase the question though, IMO is:

Given that a guy will be predominantly playing ST, would you rather:
A) He's a fantastic STer who can barely play his position, if at all (Slater, Alexander)) or
B) He can capably back up his position, but isn't nearly as good on ST

Personally, I'd take A. Yeah, you can make the argument that if two starters are out for an extended period, we might need to call on BJGE for depth, but you can make that argument about almost any position. a 53 man roster simply doesn't allow you to have excellent depth at every position.

And besides, if it comes to it, RB one of the easiest positions to just plug a guy into and have him perform. Of all the positions on the roster, RB is one of the ones that I'd be most comfortable with bringing in some JAG. That's exactly what happened last year with BJGE, and it worked out okay.

Last edited:
I saw that too, and it is clearly in his favor. But he is nto a core ST guy and I'm not sure they would dress him just to fill out STs (guys like Sanders can do that). If they would keep him, I would expect the 5th RB to be inactive.

That sums it up, why keep him.

I say No, he is a nice player but one speed RBs with average size are a dime a dozen. I will waffle if anyone can confirm that he participates on any special teams units. At least Maroney can return kicks (until game 3 when he goes onto IR). I would rather give his spot to a ST contributor who is on the bubble (Slater, Alexander, Vetrone, etc.).
Waffle away, he plays on coverage units and did last year. ;)

It is relatively difficult to play on coverage units when you are inactive as the #5 would be in every game. Also, I note that you did not say that he played well, just that he played. I would expect a #4 RB to play on such units when active.

Waffle away, he plays on coverage units and did last year. ;)

It is relatively difficult to play on coverage units when you are inactive as the #5 would be in every game. Also, I note that you did not say that he played well, just that he played. I would expect a #4 RB to play on such units when active.
That wasn't the question...and with 10 players listed as not practicing in Chris Price's report, there's plenty of prospects to be inactive.

I liked what we saw from BGE and I think he has a chance to make it. He contributed when he got on the field. Morris and Maroney especially have struggled with injuries and Taylor and Faulk aren't the youngest anymore. It's a tough one, it wouldn't surprise me if he made it but it wouldn't really surprise me if he didn't.

I can't wait to see which side will win this heated arguement.

I just wish we could trade Maroney to KC to backup LJ....

That would be a valid concern if BJGE was above replacement level, but hes not. Even if you're afraid your entire RB staff is going to fall over and die, theres no reason to give a replacement level player a roster spot. You can pick guys like him up in the middle of the season.

Disagree. You can't pick up guys like BJGE that KNOW THE SYSTEM in the "middle of the season". Secondly, I don't think he gets enough credit from most fans. The guy is a good lunch pail RB that knows the system and can come in if needed. Haven't noted him specifically on ST to be honest, how has he performed there?

Kid has good potential, I love how he is explosive hitting the hole for good yardage. Not saying he's LT, but apart that he's proven to be durable, has good feet and moves the ball hard.

good post man....he definitely isn't LT (he doesn't cry that much!)

The part where you remember how many of his carries were in short yardage situations (e.g. see how many touchdowns he has).

ding ding ding.....great points

I just thought of something, legit!

What if BJGE didnt have such a badass name?

THINK ABOUT IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey