PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why when Mankins Plays, We Can't Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
worst win ever in Patriots history...they all sauck and we should forfeit...Justin Tuck forced Mankins to make Welker drop that pass that would have won last year's Super Bowl...the one that hit both his hands...Mankins fault...he's a JAG!!!!!

Last edited:
I see threads like this and I seriously wonder what games some of you people watch. Solder was having problems all game long. The C/RG stuntwork was terrible. Connolly was terrible on his own. Vollmer got turnstiled. So the gripe is going to be with the guy who came back too soon from ACL surgery and has suffered secondary injuries that he's dealing with as a result of it.

Brilliant.....

Nobody played well but people hold up Mankins as this beacon of elite LG play.

Important to point out he's not all that right now.

Last edited:
Nobody played well but people hold up Mankins as this beacon of elite LG play.

Important to point out he's not all that right now.

It's not important at all. It's idiotic, particularly because the logic behind the complaints is so horrible.

It's not important at all. It's idiotic, particularly because the logic behind the complaints is so horrible.

Nothing we say here is important. Having a good reason (to you) for a complaint is meaningless - only it's validity.

I wonder what his cap hits look like going forward, how much is unamortized etc. If he's in that bad a shape maybe it's time for him to retire almost.

Nothing we say here is important. Having a good reason (to you) for a complaint is meaningless - only it's validity.

The reason is not meaningless. It shines light on the biases.

I wonder what his cap hits look like going forward, how much is unamortized etc. If he's in that bad a shape maybe it's time for him to retire almost.

His cap hit is upwards of $10M each of the next 2 seasons. I personally can't see Mankins retiring at age 31.

What utter, complete B.S. If anything, look at the play-calling if you need to scapegoat.

Mankins brings an element of nastiness and physicality that is sorely missing from our OL (and I'm starting to think [sadly] from this team). Didn't get to watch this game, but Mankins may have been the most important Pats player on the field vs. San Francisco, constantly fighting back and not allowing their physically superior D to completely take over and steamroll us. And IF the Pats make the SB, that's the kind of D we will be facing. We need this guy.

I feel terrible for thinking it, but, Mankins has never seemed anything more to me than mediocre. He is always just there, and gets ragdolled in big games.

We need to draft an elite interior O-Lineman early this year. Our offensive line is pretty good, but imagine giving Dante talent and not just projects...

Which are..?

... self evident if you actually look at the games he's played versus the games he hasn't, despite the fact that he's been playing hurt.

I kinda soured on Mankins when he folded up like a lawn chair in the last two Super Bowls.

Umm.. He didn't fold up like a lawn chair. Helps to watch the game and know what you are talking about.

OH, and you seem to need to be reminded that the last SuperBowl he played with a Torn ACL. But, yeah. Whatever you say.. :rolleyes:

I see threads like this and I seriously wonder what games some of you people watch. Solder was having problems all game long. The C/RG stuntwork was terrible. Connolly was terrible on his own. Vollmer got turnstiled. So the gripe is going to be with the guy who came back too soon from ACL surgery and has suffered secondary injuries that he's dealing with as a result of it.

Brilliant.....

Completely agree. (several others posted this too) From the afar place of TV, the whole OL looked middling to poor. Somewhat understandable when you play the Texans' or 9er' pass rush, very concerning when you play the Jags' pass rush. As said in another thread, let's hope this is rust and/or the result of facing a bottom dweller after a Texan-9er back to back meat grinder.

Anyone else notice this? And Brady seems to take more of a beating. I've said it before - Logan Mankins is the second mst overrated Patriot, behind Richard Seymour.

Kinda like your posts. Over-rated and ill-informed.

Mankins has been battling through hip and leg injuries this season. Not to mention the return from the ACL surgery. But people like yourself don't understand the uphill battle returning from those injuries are.

Somewhat understandable when you play the Texans' or 9er' pass rush, very concerning when you play the Jags' pass rush. As said in another thread, let's hope this is rust and/or the result of facing a bottom dweller after a Texan-9er back to back meat grinder.

I think that we are limited in the passing targets right now, and actually have been for several games with the injuries to Gronk and Edelman.

Hernandez only caught one ball today, so it was basically the Welker/Llyod show. More often than not it has been some combo of 2 of the 3, with the other guy getting limited a lot. That said, it's nice to see Woodhead sprinkled in and contributing too, and I am glad that they went back to getting more creative with the RB passes which were sorely missing last season.

The return of Gronk will open things up to the way they have been and should be, and it will likely allow Brady to get rid of the ball quicker and probably allow him to face less hits.

The hits have been coming since the Miami game pretty regularly, so I can't imagine that having more limited receiving options has been helping that cause too much.

Said during the game that the return of the starting OL has brought absolutely jack ****.

Said during the game that the return of the starting OL has brought absolutely jack ****.

We've seen them look very good before too though, so I would imagine that when Gronkowski returns that will help.

Right now other teams are trying hard to limit Welker and Hernandez on some level, which only leaves Llyod--who has trouble gaining separation as it is sometimes.

Couple that with a crazy bounce INT (or two, or three) from Brady in the past couple/few games, and he probably gets much more cautious than he already is normally to begin with.

One more viable target in Gronkowski and I bet we see the production of the offensive line suddenly start to look better again.

I'm not saying that is the whole reasoning, but I do think it is contributing.

Last edited:
The intentional grounding was an excellent stunt that any LG would have fallen flat on, particularly one with a fully torn ACL. After that, interior OL play was a big reason for Brady setting a Super Bowl record for consecutive completions.

Also, one can blame nobody being open on that play as a big reason for the intentional grounding. The Giants flooded the middle of the field and Brady threw it deep in large part to try to loosen up the defense.

Fair enough. Point well taken.

Mankins making the ProBowl is proof at least that the fans/coaches overrate him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference