PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why when Mankins Plays, We Can't Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda soured on Mankins when he folded up like a lawn chair in the last two Super Bowls.

Hmmm, I always thought the team would do better when the best players play.

I also remember when Brady, who was being paid very little, played, while Bledsoe rode the bench, who was being paid quite a bit.

It worked with Mcelroy over Sanchez :rolleyes:

It worked with Mcelroy over Sanchez :rolleyes:

You seriously think the Jets would have done better with Sanchez in the game? If the Jets are smart, and that's a very big "IF", they're just using these last 2 games to evaluate McElroy and other players.

Any team with 1/10th of a brain would drop Sanchez like a bad habit, if that decision has already been made they should be thinking about who can take over at QB.

I kinda soured on Mankins when he folded up like a lawn chair in the last two Super Bowls.

The whole OL didn't have a good game in Super Bowl XLII. But that game was lost when Stephen Neal left the game and Nick Kaczur got abused by Strahan. In XLVI, Mankins was playing on a torn ACL and actually played quite well.

20,000. :)

Last edited:
Agreed. Wendell and Connolly (at RG) really scare me going into the playoffs. I don't get what their obsession with Wendell is. I'd rather have Connolly at C and Thomas at RG.

Thomas is very good at LG but not so much at RG.

Interesting discussion. :cool:

I've always kind of felt that Mankins might be even better ~ when he's 100% ~ at Right Guard.

That, obviously, would allow us to slide Thomas to Left Guard ~ I am a BIG fan of his ~ and Connolly to Center.

Thought?
39.gif

In XLVI, Mankins was playing on a torn ACL and actually played quite well.

Perhaps I'm mistaken but weren't two critical sacks allowed by Mankins? The intentional grounding and the last sack of the game.

Marshal Yanda of the Ravens is a much better interior guard and he's making 2.5 million less per year than Mankins. Nothing anyone can do now, the deal is signed, sealed and delivered. It is what it is.

I've always kind of felt that Mankins might be even better ~ when he's 100% ~ at Right Guard.

That, obviously, would allow us to slide Thomas to Left Guard ~ I am a BIG fan of his ~ and Connolly to Center.

Thought?
39.gif

This makes sense. WE all know Mankins would never get benched so if this is what we have to do to get Thomas on the field, I think it's brilliant.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I believe that Logan Mankins is going to have a tremendous resurgence over the next two or three years...And I agree that we would've been much better served to've given'm the day off.

Thought?
39.gif

That's a very interesting idea, has he ever played on the right?

The whole OL didn't have a good game in Super Bowl XLII. But that game was lost when Stephen Neal left the game and Nick Kaczur got abused by Strahan.

Justin Tuck used Mankins as a turnstile the entire game. Dr. Zimmerman's SB preview predicted this and it came home to roost in a big way. Tuck caused big problems in SB 46 as well, mostly against Mankins.

People are seriously overrating Thomas, IMO.

Thankfully Ridley was able to overcome Mankins' crappiness and go 80+ on 4.7 YPC today.

Perhaps I'm mistaken but weren't two critical sacks allowed by Mankins? The intentional grounding and the last sack of the game.

The intentional grounding was an excellent stunt that any LG would have fallen flat on, particularly one with a fully torn ACL. After that, interior OL play was a big reason for Brady setting a Super Bowl record for consecutive completions.

Also, one can blame nobody being open on that play as a big reason for the intentional grounding. The Giants flooded the middle of the field and Brady threw it deep in large part to try to loosen up the defense.

Justin Tuck used Mankins as a turnstile the entire game. Dr. Zimmerman's SB preview predicted this and it came home to roost in a big way. Tuck caused big problems in SB 46 as well, mostly against Mankins.

The Giants as a team had two sacks in XLVI. Not sure where Tuck was all that disruptive.

How dare Mankins not play at an elite level in the Super Bowl last year with a torn ACL in one knee and a sprained MCL in the other. Most guards would rub a little dirt in it and have a career day, but nnnoooooo not Mankins. :rolleyes:

I see threads like this and I seriously wonder what games some of you people watch. Solder was having problems all game long. The C/RG stuntwork was terrible. Connolly was terrible on his own. Vollmer got turnstiled. So the gripe is going to be with the guy who came back too soon from ACL surgery and has suffered secondary injuries that he's dealing with as a result of it.

Brilliant.....

The whole OL didn't have a good game in Super Bowl XLII. But that game was lost when Stephen Neal left the game and Nick Kaczur got abused by Strahan. In XLVI, Mankins was playing on a torn ACL and actually played quite well.

He played with a torn ACL in one knee and a sprained MCL in the other. The fact he could stand without crutches was a small miracle. The fact he played was beyond human.

The Giants as a team had two sacks in XLVI. Not sure where Tuck was all that disruptive.

The New Orleans defense got 0 sacks on Favre in the 2009 NFC championship yet they beat the hell out of him.

Favre%20ankle%202.jpg

favresleg-1024x768.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes