PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why when Mankins Plays, We Can't Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
because the games he missed most of them were vs teams that are in the bottom 20 in run defense and in the games he played most of them were vs teams in the top 10 in run defense

Mankins making the ProBowl is proof at least that the fans/coaches overrate him.

No, it's not. It's proof that a guy who's been the best guard in the game recently still had some cache and got carried in on a lesser year. It happens. Jeff Saturday making it was a far bigger "oops".

How dare Mankins not play at an elite level in the Super Bowl last year with a torn ACL in one knee and a sprained MCL in the other. Most guards would rub a little dirt in it and have a career day, but nnnoooooo not Mankins. :rolleyes:

This thread is unbelievable.

because the games he missed most of them were vs teams that are in the bottom 20 in run defense and in the games he played most of them were vs teams in the top 10 in run defense

I think that's a good point.

Those who feel that we don't do as well in the run game would need to take some of the variables into account in the proper manner.

Some off the top of my head are obviously the opponent, the opponent's rush defense, the number of overall rushing attempts, the specific gameplan to that opponent, and the other players who were in/out on the offensive line around him and Thomas in other positions who were contributing too.

I am glad that Thomas worked out in a reserve role and proved to be of a starting capability at times, but I don't think there's any question as to who we'd all rather have in there, and that would certainly be Logan Mankins.

Kinda like your posts. Over-rated and ill-informed.

Mankins has been battling through hip and leg injuries this season. Not to mention the return from the ACL surgery. But people like yourself don't understand the uphill battle returning from those injuries are.

Maybe he should RECOVER first, then?????????

Those ground and pound dominating games with Donald Thomas in there earlier in the season were more like it.

We all love #70. He's not helping the team when he is hurt, however. In fact,he hurt the offense in the SB last year by playing hurt. Last year they may not have had a choice. This year they do.

Last edited:
No, it's not. It's proof that a guy who's been the best guard in the game recently still had some cache and got carried in on a lesser year. It happens. Jeff Saturday making it was a far bigger "oops".

Cache won't win a SB.

It is interesting that the O-line was very effective early without the starters, and since the starters returned they have been less effective. In the last 4 games Brady has taken a pounding while throwing something like 5 picks against 4 TDs. But it is unfair to criticize the players, whose only job is to play to the best of their abilities. If you think better players are sitting, that is a criticism of the coach. But does anyone really question that BB is doing whatever will give the team the best chance to win a championship?

I still have nightmares about him getting humiliated by the Giants d-line in both Super Bowls...

It is interesting that the O-line was very effective early without the starters, and since the starters returned they have been less effective. In the last 4 games Brady has taken a pounding while throwing something like 5 picks against 4 TDs. But it is unfair to criticize the players, whose only job is to play to the best of their abilities. If you think better players are sitting, that is a criticism of the coach. But does anyone really question that BB is doing whatever will give the team the best chance to win a championship?

Gronk being out has something to do with it as well. He's an excellent run blocker and the defense has a lot harder time keying in on what the Pats are about to do with him in there, so they have a tendency to play back with him a little bit as he could chip the DE and be a massive pass catching threat as well.

Connelly seem to struggling alot with passing rushing DT.

Cache won't win a SB.

:confused2:

Nothing about the Pro Bowl will win a SB, so I don't see why you bothered posting if that's what you were going to say.

86 yards rushing and 2 rushing TDs in the 1st half today against one of the better rushing defenses in the NFL, and a lot of it to the left side. Seems to be doing ok to me. Of course, having Gronk back also helps our rushing attack, but that couldn't have been relevant, could it?

86 yards rushing and 2 rushing TDs in the 1st half today against one of the better rushing defenses in the NFL, and a lot of it to the left side. Seems to be doing ok to me. Of course, having Gronk back also helps our rushing attack, but that couldn't have been relevant, could it?

Hey! Evidence that goes against brilliant theories like this thread are supposed to be ignored.

Hey! Evidence that goes against brilliant theories like this thread are supposed to be ignored.

I also see that Brady is continuing to show the unmistakable signs of decline. :D

I also see that Brady is continuing to show the unmistakable signs of decline. :D

That's more like it, he's only thrown 1 TD all day FFS!!!!!!

How much will Mankins' injuries this season affect him next season? Hopefully someone has some kind of medical knowledge

How much will Mankins' injuries this season affect him next season? Hopefully someone has some kind of medical knowledge

Difficult to diagnose as we do not really know what the injuries are... and never will.

I think folks are being a bit too hard on ole' Logan...

He plays through an ACL tear during the playoffs and no one knows about it. He busts his butt to get back but can't really follow the same kind of off-season conditioning program other players can. That makes him a biut more succeptible to injury in my opinion...

At the start of the season, he has a bit of swelling and soreness during the first two weeks but manages to get through it.

Then he strains his calf and suffers a pretty moderate hip pointer.

Then he experiences a nasty sprained ankle.

All of these injuries need time and rest.

I'll be the first to question his play but not his toughness or commitment to the team. He gets the benefit of the doubt from me. A healthy Logan Mankins in one of the best OL in the NFL.

Last edited:
He also gets benefit of the doubt from the coaches and players by getting elected to the Pro Bowl Team...

Anyone else notice this? And Brady seems to take more of a beating. I've said it before - Logan Mankins is the second mst overrated Patriot, behind Richard Seymour.

Agree completely. Because Mankins growls a lot and is constantly getting into shoving matches with the other team the mediots think he's all-world.
Actually heard a mediot on the radio talk to Mankins about the HOF. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye