PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the hate for Randy Moss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was blocking, he was taking 2 defenders out of every play, he opened up things for Welker and Watson to have productive days. How this is classified as "not showing up" is beyond me. It wasn't a great game by him but he still had a positive impact on the outcome.
Sure he had a positive impact but it was a half hearted effort at best. I'm not saying we'd have been better off without him but I am saying it wasn't close to what he can, and should, do.

Sure he had a positive impact but it was a half hearted effort at best. I'm not saying we'd have been better off without him but I am saying it wasn't close to what he can, and should, do.

I don't know about the half hearted effort thing, but the main issue here is that Moss is taking so much more heat for a bad game than any other player in the NFL would. Every player to ever play the game has had bad days, and throughout Moss' entire career we have not seen him have many bad games like Sunday. How on earth has Moss not earned the benefit of the doubt from fans is incredible.

All the facts point to Moss being loved by his teammates, being one of the hardest workers in the weight room and at practice, being a great teammate, having a deep love for the game of football. Yet for some reason, which I will continue to blame on the media, people jump at any chance to bring him down. Do you think for one second that this would be written about as it is if Moss were media friendly?

Last edited:
I don't know about the half hearted effort thing, but the main issue here is that Moss is taking so much more heat for a bad game than any other player in the NFL would. Every player to ever play the game has had bad days, and throughout Moss' entire career we have not seen him have many bad games like Sunday. How on earth has Moss not earned the benefit of the doubt from fans is incredible.
Let's see if he looks like the real Moss this week. I hope we do. We haven't seen that since the Indy game.

Let's see if he looks like the real Moss this week. I hope we do. We haven't seen that since the Indy game.

Those are some pretty high expectations. Did he look like the "real" Moss on the 58 yard TD in the Miami game?

He may be Randy Moss, but he's fighting through double teams on just about every single play of every single game. He is also our only deep threat (aside from Watson who has been blocking mostly as of late) so there's no one to really keep defenses honest or make them pay for shading so much attention to Moss.

I just think Randy's 'lack' of production the past few weeks has more to do with many other factors than his effort. Play calling, scheming, another deep threat, O-line, etc...

He may be Randy Moss, but he's fighting through double teams on just about every single play of every single game. He is also our only deep threat (aside from Watson who has been blocking mostly as of late) so there's no one to really keep defenses honest or make them pay for shading so much attention to Moss.
No sh!t, I already said we're better off with him.

So does Belichick :

"Q: When asked "Are we chasing this misconception when we say, 'Randy Moss dogged it'?"

A: "I have a lot of respect for Randy. I think he's one of our best players. If you watch other teams defend him, watch other teams play against him, they think the same way, other than these two guys from Carolina after they lost another game."

But he didn't exactly dispute the effort thing.

Let's go, Randy, we know how good you are and we need to see it on the field.

Last edited:
Jerry Rice had his fair share of bad games, whats your point?

Since joining NE:
45 games: 235 Receptions, 3559 yards, 15.1 Y/C, 43 TD, 80.9 Y/G. He has had 18 100+ yard games and 26 games with at least 1 TD.

Just to give you some perspective, no WR has gained more yards, scored more TDs, or had more 100+ yard games than Moss since 2007.

People talk about Branch and Troy Brown as the type of receivers we need yet they don't hold a candle to Moss. In his 4 years in NE (53 games) Branch didn't once reach 1000 yards, averaged just over 50 yards a game, and he scored less TDs in those 4 years than Moss scored in 1 season. (14 TD, to be exact, or just 3.5 TD per season). 16 games he had 2 receptions or less (once every 3 1/3 games). Moss only has had 6 such games (once every 7.5 games). He only had 8 games with 100+ yards receiving (10 less than Moss ). He NEVER had a game with more than 1 TD (including playoffs) while Moss has had 13 games with 2+ TDs.

Troy Brown only once eclipsed the 1,000 yard mark in 12 season. He scored less TDs in 12+ seasons than Moss has in 2+ seasons. He had less 100+ yard games than Moss (14 in 12+ years). Only once did he score 2 TDs in a single game. He had 46 games with 2 or fewer receptions. However, even when he did catch 5 or 6 passes it still only equated to 57-68 yards because his Y/C isn't too great (11.4).

Heck even Stanley Morgan, the best WR this team had before Moss and Welker arrived, was nothing in comparison to what Moss has done with the Pats.

The teams scoring has skyrocketed since Moss joined the team, Brady has played on another level (This year he is still outperforming his pre-Moss career averages), and the team has won over 77% of the time (even with Brady missing a full season). The team won 73% of the time in the Branch era.

Stop being stupid.

Irrelevent. The point is, Moss is not giving 100%.
[/sarcasm] :D

Those are some pretty high expectations. Did he look like the "real" Moss on the 58 yard TD in the Miami game?

I just think Randy's 'lack' of production the past few weeks has more to do with many other factors than his effort. Play calling, scheming, another deep threat, O-line, etc...

Moss has been fighting through double teams his whole career, and has been the only deep threat on pretty much every team he has played on, including in 07 and he has done just fine. The excuse that he gets double coverage every game and doesnt have another deep threat is weak.

Moss is playing with the same play calling, scheming, another deep threat and O-line the whole season. He wasnt lacking production in the beginning of the season, so how can you all of a sudden claim that these are issues that are effecting Moss. Clearly, it is a lack of effort or being frustrated/injured

Last edited:
No sh!t, I already said we're better off with him.

So does Belichick :

"Q: When asked "Are we chasing this misconception when we say, 'Randy Moss dogged it'?"

A: "I have a lot of respect for Randy. I think he's one of our best players. If you watch other teams defend him, watch other teams play against him, they think the same way, other than these two guys from Carolina after they lost another game."

But he didn't exactly dispute the effort thing.

Let's go, Randy, we know how good you are and we need to see it on the field.

Do you know Belichick to ever give direct answers? Especially to stupid questions like a player dogging it?

Do you know Belichick to ever give direct answers? Especially to stupid questions like a player dogging it?
I've been listening to his press conferences since he was in Cleveland - he avoided the question. He normally would have said that Moss' effort isn't an issue or something like that.

This would have been a perfectly normal Belichick answer :

"I have a lot of respect for Randy. I think he's one of our hardest working players"

But he chose not to say it. Believe what you want and I'll do the same.

I've been listening to his press conferences since he was in Cleveland - he avoided the question. He normally would have said that Moss' effort isn't an issue or something like that.

This would have been a perfectly normal Belichick answer :

"I have a lot of respect for Randy. I think he's one of our hardest working players"

But he chose not to say it. Believe what you want and I'll do the same.

I'm glad that you have BB down to science, and he only has 2 options at that point of what to say. The depths that some of you go to read into BB's comments get a little comical at times.

It isnt just me, its 90% of the people on here. Cant you see your in the minority

Even if I am in the minority, what the hell does that prove (aside from nothing)?

I'm glad that you have BB down to science, and he only has 2 options at that point of what to say. The depths that some of you go to read into BB's comments get a little comical at times.
We've all heard Belichick talk - I just disagree with you. He could have brushed off the question while still commenting on Moss's effort and work ethic. He didn't. I may be wrong but it didn't go unnoticed to me.

Maybe that you are off base with this particular subject...

It proves that there's a possibility I'm wrong? Did you just say it proves a maybe? It doesn't PROVE anything. I really hope you aren't a fan of the Patriots.

We've all heard Belichick talk - I just disagree with you. He could have brushed off the question while still commenting on Moss's effort and work ethic. He didn't. I may be wrong but it didn't go unnoticed to me.

That's fine, we'll agree to disagree. But do you also question Moss' work ethic? Because that is one thing that I don't think I've heard questioned before, and all comments from teammates and trainors say he is one of the hardest workers.

That's fine, we'll agree to disagree. But do you also question Moss' work ethic? Because that is one thing that I don't think I've heard questioned before, and all comments from teammates and trainors say he is one of the hardest workers.
It wasn't good on the field last week. Clearly it hasn't been an issue in the past.

It wasn't good on the field last week. Clearly it hasn't been an issue in the past.

Oh I meant work ethic as in behind the scenes in practice, weight room etc... Don't usually speak about work ethic on gameday.

Do you guys who believe Randy didn't give his best effort, believe that other receivers around the league always give their best effort? I'm trying to gauge what some of you think about Randy compared to everyone else.

It's hard to weed out the simple "he needs to give us more" comments from the incessant Randy is a dog faker! baloney

Last edited:
Do you guys who believe Randy didn't give his best effort, believe that other receivers around the league always give their best effort? I'm trying to gauge what some of you think about Randy compared to everyone else.

It's hard to weed out the simple "he needs to give us more" comments from the incessant Randy is a dog faker! baloney
I think his effort is fine normally. He doesn't always run hard when the ball's not coming his way but I think that's the norm.

Last week was different, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back